• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm thinking Yoshi's reveal is being held off until Yarn Yoshi or Yoshi's New Island.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
It's the year of Luigi and SSB team had to reveal him before 2014 (he's revealed now), making him the non-unlockable character for the first time. Instead, I think they've actually gave Luigi's unlockable status to Yoshi.
Just a thought but wouldn't it make more sense to give the unlockable spot to Mario, what with Luigi taking the spotlight and all?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's the year of Luigi and SSB team had to reveal him before 2014 (he's revealed now), making him the non-unlockable character for the first time. Instead, I think they've actually gave Luigi's unlockable status to Yoshi.
I'm skeptical.

It won't be Year of Luigi when this game actually launches and surely that's what counts?

I'm thinking Yoshi's reveal is being held off until Yarn Yoshi or Yoshi's New Island.
I'm thinking you're right there. I'm also thinking Peach will get revealed when 3D World comes out and then if we get another Mario rep it'll be revealed when the next Mario Kart comes into existence.

Although we're trying to work out a pattern from just two reveals really, so it could all be totally off.

Swift Fox

Smash Lord
Jackpot when I got it right :p

But yeah, seriously, I made that up for lolz. It can coincidentally happen because it is even less impossible now.

acekidgravity

Smash Cadet
I'm so scared that Sakurai is going to redesign Yoshi as Yarn Yoshi. It keeps scaring me the farther and farther we get away from the initial trailer without a Yoshi reveal. WHY IS SAKURAI HIDING YOSHI. Of course this could go another way and Sakurai could be redesigning Yoshi to be actually, ya know, viable. In which case the wait must be worth it. I'm just praying for no Yarn Yoshi.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
Yoshi being revealed late into development isn't that unusual. The recently revealed characters were announced to advertise recent Nintendo titles that they star in. They might be waiting to do the same with Yoshi.

I don't see any reason why Sakurai would redesign Yoshi to his Yarn form. Yarn Yoshi is not Yoshi's main design; it's simply a unique artstyle being used in one game. If Yarn Yoshi was to be Yoshi's new design for games to come, I could see Sakurai changing it to fit that. But that's clearly not the case.

If anything, Yarn Yoshi would be a palette swap.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if sakurai puts yarn yoshi in,
he should also put yarn kirby in as well.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I don't think he'd put Yarn Yoshi in now that I think about it and you mention Yarn Kirby.
There's another Yoshi game coming out anyways and he most likely will just have either the same Final Smash/moves or a change here or there, my guess being a giant egg that goes everywhere like Pikachu's since that is the new thing in the next Yoshi's Island.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I actually really hope he keeps his Final Smash. It's one of the few things I felt they got right with Yoshi in Brawl, since they made such a mess of his damage output, reach and hitboxes.

I love Super Dragon, and if the new one was anything like Pikachu's I definately don't want it; aside from Mario's highly dodgable FS firey kamehameha and DK's bongos, the highly inaccurate Volt Tackle is my least favourite of the bunch to use.
I also hope they hone Pikachu's FS up for Smash 4.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi needs kill moves and a decent shield that let`s him jump out of it.

I think just that would make him much better.

And for other things:

- Side B is only useful 1 or 2 times in a entire match... please make a less predictable one and don`t make yoshi helpless when he stops it in the air. (or maybe change it completely to a decent move)

- Improve his hitboxes in general.

- How in the hell Yoshi CHEWS the opponent`s entire body and only does 2%/1% damage? Pummel needs to be more realistic.

- Let him walk while he`s grabbing someone like DK can do.

- Make his tongue able to grab the ledge and also make it a Zair that can grab people in the air.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Has anyone considered the fact Sakurai is taking so long to reveal him because they're trying to find a way to make him better and less unique?
Unique being the only one to have a different shield and no actual Double Jump that can get ruined by footstooling.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Has anyone considered the fact Sakurai is taking so long to reveal him because they're trying to find a way to make him better and less unique?
Unique being the only one to have a different shield and no actual Double Jump that can get ruined by footstooling.
Honestly no. Yoshi was the last veteran revealed in Brawl and he remained mostly the same from Melee, with better recovery(egg throw slightly raises him upwards), improved egg roll(gusts of wind don't knock him out of it this time) and worse killing power and abysmal hit boxes. I just don't think Sakurai prioritises him as highly as the other starting veterans.

Still; I sure hope I'm wrong and he'll come back with his Melee power, Brawl recovery/egg roll strength, faster grab, better priority and the ability to jump out of his egg/roll it into Egg roll. These things alone would help. Maybe make him impervious to footstooling too since he gets screwed the most by that addition.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
?
Dunno what you mean, while Yoshi barely changed he's a lot better than the other veterans released so far outside of DK Fox Pikachu and Olimar.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think what I'm saying is Yoshi seems to be the least important starter veteran to Sakurai;

-Did not appear in the Smash 4 Trailer

-Was one of two veterans who didn't appear in Brawl's trailer; the other being DK

-Was the last to be revealed on the Dojo from the originals

-Didn't appear on that white board image Sakurai showed off which contains all the veterans + Wario, Pit, Game and Watch, A Pikmin, Mr. Saturn and Luigi. Only veteran not to.

-Had the smallest role of the veterans in the SSE; I mean seriously his intro was him asleep on a log, and Link squares up to fight off the shadow bugs that are invading the forest. Yoshi just sort of joins in last minute(he sleepily wakes up and walks on after Link has done his badass ready to fight post literally just before you get to choose which character to play). Of the Mario, Link, Kirby, Pit and Yoshi team he's the only one that didn't do anything of importance through the whole thing.

I have no doubt he'll be back, but I think Sakurai's prioritizing other characters above Yoshi which is why I'm not expecting many buffs to my main.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
i was thinking that shy guy can be other character from yoshi series XD ,up b: fly guy ,down b: fire shy guy, side b :spear shy guy ,etc... XD

MagnesD3

Smash Master
What changes would you like to see done to Yoshi?

My personal wants are

- Buff normals that were nerfed from melee

- more control on egg toss like melee

- Armor given to startup of egg roll

- After second jump you can now unlimitedly tap and hold for squirming hover like in his games, after each hover you must let go of the jump button to start another hover.

- Swallow Egg is moved back further from yoshi to allow for egg edge trap.

- less recovery on a whiffed grab.

MAGRWolfX

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3100-1586
I wish Yoshi can actually swallow items and lay eggs with them and throw them. If swallows a bomb, he can lay an exploding egg. If he swallows a fire flower, the egg can do fire damage.
Of course, Yoshi needs some buffing but his recovery is fine.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
I think if they keep Yoshi's sheild (which they probably will) he should have by far the strongest Sheild, taking about 3-4 Bomb-Ombs to break it. xD It should also roll farther when he rolls, and slide farther when attacked. Yoshi should also have a better/more powerful moveset (strongest from Melee and Brawl)

Personally, I think the only reason Yoshi isnt High/Mid tier was because of his sheild, and his low knockback moves.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wish Yoshi can actually swallow items and lay eggs with them and throw them. If swallows a bomb, he can lay an exploding egg. If he swallows a fire flower, the egg can do fire damage.
Of course, Yoshi needs some buffing but his recovery is fine.
I've also thought that would be a very cool idea in the past. People may say it'd overpower him, but competitive players don't use items anyway. Imagine a Smart Bomb egg throw! I just wonder what happens if he swallows a Pokeball or an Assist. Do they hatch from the egg?

Of course it's unlikely to happen anyway, but a fun idea is a fun idea!

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I don't know how I feel about Toon Link being revealed before Yoshi. I don't doubt Yoshi'll be in the game, but I mean, seriously... Yoshi's the only non-unlockable 64 vet not yet confirmed. Makes me wonder if he'll be really different. You don't think it'll be a yarn version, do you?

MAGRWolfX

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3100-1586
I don't know how I feel about Toon Link being revealed before Yoshi. I don't doubt Yoshi'll be in the game, but I mean, seriously... Yoshi's the only non-unlockable 64 vet not yet confirmed. Makes me wonder if he'll be really different. You don't think it'll be a yarn version, do you?
I'm sure he won't be drastically changed to his yarn version like that. It'd be like changing Kirby to his yarn form or the default Mario into Paper Mario and still calling him Mario.
Since Yoshi's New Island and Yarn Yoshi don't have release dates yet, they'll probably announce him randomly like Peach or wait until those games come out. We don't even know when Smash 4 will come out.

D

Deleted member

Poor Yoshi... the poor little dino has been getting neglected by the team.

Medaka444

Smash Apprentice
People may say it'd overpower him, but competitive players don't use items anyway.

Competitive gamers aren't the only people who play this series, you know. It'd be like if Link's Boomerang carried objects. Not a good idea.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I doubt that's remotely close to what Sakurai & Co. are trying to achieve.
Every character so far has demonstrated some sort of quirk and uniqueness in their moveset/playstyle.

I'm pretty sure Yoshi will retain his Double Jump recovery, but he may receive some buffs to make up for it. Starters give him a tongue tether recovery, more control over Egg Throw and buff or change entirely Yoshi's Egg Roll.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I think what I'm saying is Yoshi seems to be the least important starter veteran to Sakurai;

-Did not appear in the Smash 4 Trailer

-Was one of two veterans who didn't appear in Brawl's trailer; the other being DK

-Was the last to be revealed on the Dojo from the originals

-Didn't appear on that white board image Sakurai showed off which contains all the veterans + Wario, Pit, Game and Watch, A Pikmin, Mr. Saturn and Luigi. Only veteran not to.

-Had the smallest role of the veterans in the SSE; I mean seriously his intro was him asleep on a log, and Link squares up to fight off the shadow bugs that are invading the forest. Yoshi just sort of joins in last minute(he sleepily wakes up and walks on after Link has done his badass ready to fight post literally just before you get to choose which character to play). Of the Mario, Link, Kirby, Pit and Yoshi team he's the only one that didn't do anything of importance through the whole thing.

I have no doubt he'll be back, but I think Sakurai's prioritizing other characters above Yoshi which is why I'm not expecting many buffs to my main.
I could've sworn Fox wasn't in Brawl's trailer as well. Fox was revealed before DK and Yoshi if I'm correct, but after Brawl was announced

Thor

Smash Champion
Changes to make to Yoshi:

Recovery:
-Footstooling can't kill him (ie, a footstool gives him back his double jump). Alternatively (not both of these), give him a real recovery move. Potentially (not for sure), Yoshi's Egg Throw stays with its small boosts (a bit of stalling) while his Yoshi Bomb has the same upward and sideways movement in the air as on the ground, or maybe even controllable on the way up and down (so it would almost function like an Aether, albeit much faster). It would also have a much bigger ledge sweetspot (not necessarily huge, but definitely an intent to make sure Yoshi can grab the ledge). Not sure this is the best solution, but I would accept it and be glad he's easier to recover with.
-Can Zair the stage
Shield:
Either:
-Fix his OoS stuff OR
-While in shield, you are 100% invulnerable to damage while rolling (never pop out of egg during roll/no frames where you are vulnerable to %). Similar to other rolls there are certain frames where you can be grabbed though. If hit during a frame where you could be grabbed (not 100% invulnerable, just no % taken), probably have some effect where you are knocked away/slide across the stage in shield stun but you take no damage (and knockback scaling of this is zero, i.e. it can't KO). Maybe this would make his shield far too good, but given his OoS options (again, this assumes he still has very few), he shouldn't have to drop his shield until he's darned ready to. You also would roll much faster (only slightly slower than MK?).
Attacking:
- not much in the way of ideas (don't play him enough), maybe make Egg roll do much more shield damage and shield stun? Or just ditch the move. If they do keep it, make it move laterally in air much faster (also a recovery option, but it doesn't help the footstool thing...)

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
I can't help but feel a bit paranoid that he would get excluded, but I'm sure that won't be a problem.
Hoping to main this little guy in the next one, as he has pretty much always been my favorite Nintendo character, and it'll be nice to stick to a character I personally like for once. As for moveset, I'll leave that to the people who actually know the character. Personally, so long as the game itself is at least decently balanced, I'll be fine with any result.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I can't help but feel a bit paranoid that he would get excluded, but I'm sure that won't be a problem.
I wouldn't worry. As I've previously stated he is nearly always the last 64 Starter Roster character to be revealed.

-Fix his OoS stuff OR
-While in shield, you are 100% invulnerable to damage while rolling (never pop out of egg during roll/no frames where you are vulnerable to %). Similar to other rolls there are certain frames where you can be grabbed though. If hit during a frame where you could be grabbed (not 100% invulnerable, just no % taken), probably have some effect where you are knocked away/slide across the stage in shield stun but you take no damage (and knockback scaling of this is zero, i.e. it can't KO). Maybe this would make his shield far too good, but given his OoS options (again, this assumes he still has very few), he shouldn't have to drop his shield until he's darned ready to. You also would roll much faster (only slightly slower than MK?).
Actually really like this idea. If we're not allowed to leap from our shields having an invulnerable shield would be hugely helpful. Since Yoshi seems to be a tanky character, I'm all for a stronger shield to fit his character better.

I could've sworn Fox wasn't in Brawl's trailer as well. Fox was revealed before DK and Yoshi if I'm correct, but after Brawl was announced
You are correct. I actually forgot about that as he was pretty much the first Dojo character reveal.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I would like to see Yoshi get a moveset overhaul.
The moves all switched around and such.
For example, Egg Throw as Normal B, Egg Roll can stay Side B, Up B maybe Flutter Jump, although I like the 3 jump idea, Down B stays.
Final Smash is cool too. Oh, and tongue becomes a grab, maybe Down Grab can turn your enemies into eggs.
I would love to see aimable eggs, similar to how they worked in Yoshi's Island. Also I would love for them to bounce of the walls and become more powerful. I have a vision where Yoshi is falling to his doom, throws an egg, it bounces off the wall and hits his opponent of the screen while he flutter jumps to safety.
Just an idea.
Oh yeah, and how about that Baby Mario?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
No Baby Mario please. Yoshi is perfectly fine on his own. MAYBE as an alternate costume, or character (the latter which I'm sure would not be liked very much due to it being a second playable Yoshi).

By the way, am I the only one who was kind of annoyed with Yoshi's eggs in Brawl not matching the alternate color? I know that was the case in previous games too, but in Brawl, even Peach's Parasol matched her color outfits. Why not do that for Yoshi and his eggs? I really hope they'll change THIS feature about him, personally.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
By the way, am I the only one who was kind of annoyed with Yoshi's eggs in Brawl not matching the alternate color? I know that was the case in previous games too, but in Brawl, even Peach's Parasol matched her color outfits. Why not do that for Yoshi and his eggs? I really hope they'll change THIS feature about him, personally.
From a technical standpoint, it was because each of Peach's palette swaps had it's own model of the parasol, as it was largely a cosmetic item (and I think was easier to program).

While Yoshi's egg is a projectile which also has to be programmed to interact with other characters, so it was easier to have Yoshi's palette swaps share the projectile.

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
From a technical standpoint, it was because each of Peach's palette swaps had it's own model of the parasol, as it was largely a cosmetic item (and I think was easier to program).

While Yoshi's egg is a projectile which also has to be programmed to interact with other characters, so it was easier to have Yoshi's palette swaps share the projectile.

That's true for the Egg Toss move of course, but they could still have made Yoshi's shield egg match the Yoshi color. If you give a character a unique shield, at least do it right!

Besides I don't think it should be -that- hard to give each color Yoshi its own colored egg to throw. They could make each egg color its own projectile, then put coding in to specify each Yoshi egg color to the right colored Yoshi. Or make one Yoshi egg projectile model, then code a different texture for the corresponding Yoshi color. C'mon, looking at all the other stuff these games have these days, something like this shouldn't be that hard, right?

I'm probably one of the few who was actually kind of disappointed with that in Brawl, as well as how little Yoshi was represented in the first place. So much potential for trophies at least one full page of trophies, and they only give him two baby trophies besides Yoshi's own two.

But don't mind me, I'm probably too obsessed with Yoshi. XD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Has Snake actually eaten Yoshi you guys think? Why does it take so long for his reveal? :yoshi2: :yoshi: :yoshimelee:

The PM team also doesn't seem to find his inclusion important enough to put him in before the likes of Roy and Mewtwo...

Is this some anti-Yoshi propoganda? Sure, he can't do a 3rd jump but why does the world hate him so badly? :urg:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom