• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I really hope patching away the glitchiness will get him out of :metaknight:-tier or that list proves to be really inaccurate or what...

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I really hope patching away the glitchiness will get him out of :metaknight:-tier or that list proves to be really inaccurate or what...
Yoshi's good, but he's not broken. People swarmed to MK in Brawl because he was that much better by everyone else, literally everything was broken about him so people just thought "free win". This game Yoshi's just designed really well which is why he's good, but he's almost certainly not going to end up with a tier of his own.

Edit: On another note, we need a stickied FAQ thread so people don't make 3 separate threads for every time a new glitch pops up.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Yoshi's good, but he's not broken. People swarmed to MK in Brawl because he was that much better by everyone else, literally everything was broken about him so people just thought "free win". This game Yoshi's just designed really well which is why he's good, but he's almost certainly not going to end up with a tier of his own.
Being :foxmelee:- or :marthmelee:-level would also be a problem. It would feel just as dirty. I'd be contributing to the death of the metagame by playing the same character as everyone else.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Being :foxmelee:- or :marthmelee:-level would also be a problem. It would feel just as dirty. I'd be contributing to the death of the metagame by playing the same character as everyone else.
But neither Fox nor Marth have come close to killing Melee, which has remained remarkably strong.

I've only played the demo once so far (so no Yoshi), but, personally, I want Yoshi approaching MK-in-Brawl good. I wouldn't want him so strong that he was seriously in danger of a ban, but I want a consensus best-in-the-game. And I'm not saying this for personal gain; I have no plans for entering Smash4 tourneys. Yoshi has toiled in non-competitiveness for far too long. I want the dino drowning in cash.

Obviously, the JP tier list should be taken with a tremendous grain of salt because it's just so early, but, by the same token, good for Bowser to be so highly regarded.

Yikarur

Smash Master
the glitches are not the reason Yoshi is considered Top Tier in that list.

and everyone loving Yoshi shouldn't care that much how good on some tier list he is.
You love Yoshi and you know you play Yoshi for that reason.
Who cares a tier list placing.
You should be happy that your beloved character is not trash.

I really don't understand that mentality "I don't want to play meta"
You don't want to play meta, you want to play Yoshi !
And this is everything that counts.

I would never drop Yoshi for such a blunt reason.

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
the glitches are not the reason Yoshi is considered Top Tier in that list.

and everyone loving Yoshi shouldn't care that much how good on some tier list he is.
You love Yoshi and you know you play Yoshi for that reason.
Who cares a tier list placing.

I really don't understand that mentality "I don't want to play meta"

I would never drop Yoshi for such a blunt reason.
Nor would I. I don't really care all that much about tiers.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The Silent Beast has spoken almost the exact words I said about Yoshi needing to be raining *******.

May the Green Dino bathe in Green Dough.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Ok, i can now control both the time when to teleport and the spawn location where it leads to. <3
Tutorial and Video are WIP, it's pretty tricky.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Tutorial
Yoshi's Teleport Glitch (Egg Toss Teleport (ETT))

Basics:
The Egg Toss Teleport is a glitch which makes you teleport back to a ledge you jumped up from.

This can be done by 3 simple steps:
1.) grab a ledge
2.) press “Jump” or “Up” to perform a jump to get back to the stage (dropping from the ledge and making a Double Jump will NOT work)
3.) before landing or making any inputs, start spamming Egg Throws until you reach any kind of stable ground (stage or platform)

If done correctly, you will blink back to the place you jumped the first time (the ledge), no matter where you land.

Advanced - Infinite/Repeated Egg Toss Teleport (IETT/RETT):
After performing the basic teleport it is possible to not grab the ledge again. If You do so, Yoshi will simply drop off the stage.

Now You are ready to perform an IETT/RETT:
1. ) after dropping off the stage, perform a double jump and get back onto the stage
2.) as usual, start spamming Egg Throws and after landing you will port back to the position your first teleport started from (the spot you landed after Teleport 1)

Advanced - Postponed Egg Toss Teleport (PETT):
First of all, there’s something important to know:
The Egg Throw does only start the glitch, but doesn’t have to be spammed. You only have to be in a consistent animation of buffered special attacks (except for Down B).
So after throwing Your first eggs, You can also spam Egg Lays and Egg Rollos until landing.

The awesome thing: only the Egg Throw triggers the teleport.
This means You can wait as long as You wish, as long as You keep spamming Egg Lays and Egg Rollos on the ground. As soon as you press Up B, You will teleport to the ledge or the created spawn point from “Teleport 2”.
Swallowing an enemy, jumping or using normal attacks will cancel the glitch!

Have fun and fly responsible!!!
-Slice

The names for the techniques are by me since i haven't seen any yet.
If someone named something already, tell me please.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Tutorial
Yoshi's Teleport Glitch (Egg Toss Teleport (ETT))

Basics:
The Egg Toss Teleport is a glitch which makes you teleport back to a ledge you jumped up from.

This can be done by 3 simple steps:
1.) grab a ledge
2.) press “Jump” or “Up” to perform a jump to get back to the stage (dropping from the ledge and making a Double Jump will NOT work)
3.) before landing or making any inputs, start spamming Egg Throws until you reach any kind of stable ground (stage or platform)

If done correctly, you will blink back to the place you jumped the first time (the ledge), no matter where you land.

Advanced - Infinite/Repeated Egg Toss Teleport (IETT/RETT):
After performing the basic teleport it is possible to not grab the ledge again. If You do so, Yoshi will simply drop off the stage.

Now You are ready to perform an IETT/RETT:
1. ) after dropping off the stage, perform a double jump and get back onto the stage
2.) as usual, start spamming Egg Throws and after landing you will port back to the position your first teleport started from (the spot you landed after Teleport 1)

Advanced - Postponed Egg Toss Teleport (PETT):
First of all, there’s something important to know:
The Egg Throw does only start the glitch, but doesn’t have to be spammed. You only have to be in a consistent animation of buffered special attacks (except for Down B).
So after throwing Your first eggs, You can also spam Egg Lays and Egg Rollos until landing.

The awesome thing: only the Egg Throw triggers the teleport.
This means You can wait as long as You wish, as long as You keep spamming Egg Lays and Egg Rollos on the ground. As soon as you press Up B, You will teleport to the ledge or the created spawn point from “Teleport 2”.
Swallowing an enemy, jumping or using normal attacks will cancel the glitch!

Have fun and fly responsible!!!
-Slice

The names for the techniques are by me since i haven't seen any yet.
If someone named something already, tell me please.
Awesome work here Slice. Do you mind if I add this to the guide?
(It took me almost an hour just to ask this 1 thing thanks to crashboards =_=)

Scatz

Smash Champion
Everything I thought from what I saw in those videos. One thing you should test: Do the postponed Egg transmission, then try walking around then making yourself teleport.I wanna know if it's possible to teleport on command if we're not using the three rules you mentioned.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Sure, add it to the guide! :D

And no, you have to keep spamming special attacks.
Walking/jumping/standard attacks etc. interrupt this and will cancel the glitch. (i'll add walking/ducking and so on to the tutorial later to make it clear)

It took me 40 minutes to post this ****, friggn SWF...

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Nike, you should call it the YoshiLabs =P

Another one for you guys to download. AmSa says you can do it after a dash attack canceled pivot grab. Apparently, this follows the same motion as the teleport where you have to buffer the specials to get it.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Well, your guide is still basics no? Since our labbing is bound to expand upon tomorrow (NA's release), this will be kicking up. So, would be a good idea to have a thread just for lab speculations.

I believe so. @ Yikarur Yikarur dealt with that.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
When jumping like intended by Nintendo (on the ground); Yes.

Not sure about this one though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
No idea, but I do know one thing.
Yoshi's Specials have always been broken in some way, Smash4 this time around is just incredibly broken in even the most useless special, Side-B.

That huge hop for egg roll prolly won't be useful, but the eggshot seems like something that could potentially be useful. How was it done again, Slice? get the ledge then let go so we sit in one spot rolling then take off like Sanic?

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Although these glitches are pretty nuts, keep in mind that they're likely gonna be patched. Especially because Nintendo is going to figure them out quickly with how much attention they're getting. I personally wouldn't base my meta as Yoshi around any glitches, because not only is it unfair and seems cheap, but it likely won't stay. I'll just stick to playing him the standard way as I always have. That said, perhaps some of these bugs are intentional and meant to serve as buffs.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's anything but unfair, using it puts Yoshi in weird positions on the stage or even possibly kill him if rng doesn't favor the player. And in now way will it be "meta" for Yoshi mains cause of how meh of a glitch it is and doesn't benefit 1v1's anyways.

Though yes Nintendo will prolly patch it sooner or later, but doubt it'll be top priority #1 on their list.

Depster

Smash Champion
Played in a local project m tourney tonight! It was my fourth time playing and I got all the way to losers quarterfinals with Yoshi =0

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
For any new Yoshi mains, we have a skype group (new onez) if anybody wishes to join. Our brawl one been ded and we can't use that one cuz once there's too many members in a group it breaks.
The only plus of the brawl skype group is we can still change conversation pics, Smash 4 one we cannot cause skype is incompetent and hasn't re-added the ability to put pics in groups in the past 6 or 7 months.

Guess just add me (greenglaciers) or any other old yoshi like scatz gashi yika etc. and they'll add you when they get the chance prolly.

Group will be second social so we don't overflow this thread once people start flocking to Yoshi since the game is gonna be out in an hour for most people in the US. MU discussion or just casual talk and all that.
If people want, I could maybe make a thread in a couple months for serious Skype calls to discuss MU's and such once the Wii U version comes out and half the Yoshi's that're waiting for that version to come out can finally play it and have some say in the discussion.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
That huge hop for egg roll prolly won't be useful, but the eggshot seems like something that could potentially be useful. How was it done again, Slice? get the ledge then let go so we sit in one spot rolling then take off like Sanic?
Yeah, just press nothing and Y/X to fly away.

Cruncher93

Smash Cadet

This. I mained Yoshi and G&W in Brawl, so seeing him being better makes me happy. It's like your oldtimer got tuned, it looks the same, but everything feels so much better!

Scatz

Smash Champion
So you can only create one spawn point no matter what you do onstage... What happens when the spawn point is done from a different position (vertically) from the ledge?

Also, I never asked, but downB doesn't allow the teleport to happen?

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
What do you mean exactly? You can spawn anywhere; platforms and base.
Edit: no, Down B and Egglays that swallow the enemy cancel the glitch.
edit2: no wait, thats a good question with the spawns on platforms. I actually have to try that! haha
edit3: tested it on the amazing Earthbound stage and: mixing platforms shoots you right into space! lol
but you survive, you just fall for a while.

Last edited:

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Anyone go by the name of Aido on the 3DS? We had a good hour of Yoshi dittos. I'd like to get your friend code.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
This game <3
Gonna have to grab your guys FCs and get some games with you all.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Been knocking people around all over the internet with Greninja and Yoshi all day today. I thought I wouldn't like Greninja, but I love the lil guy. Yoshi...well, he's my favorite anything in anything, so him being GOOD for once in a Smash game is just a huge plus for me.

Some guy had the audacity to use a BLUE Yoshi against my YELLOW one. Had to make sure to shut that whole thing down. Only other color I'm gonna just "allow" to beat Yellow is Green. :4yoshi:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
I think we should get a For Glory Yoshi Locator going. I've had one or 2 randomly long strings of Yoshi dittos but no idea if they were one of you guys or not.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Well, it wouldn't be me. I've hardly ever ran into a Yoshi mirror, save that Blue Yoshi. I've seen tons of Lil Mac, Lucina, and...more Lil Mac...

Lil Mac is probably the most popular character scrubs use in this game. Did run into Ike users today, and got a nifty replay of one, but Yoshi's like the most underused high-tier in this game from my experience...

:4yoshi: Nice :4yoshi:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It's because nobody knows how to play against Yoshi or how to play him since Melee lol.

Also I don't feel like making the Locator thread since I feel it's still a bit too early, but I guess if we count Japanese release then it's technically been almost a month. Guess somebody can make it as long as they know how to make it look pretty.

Top Bottom