• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Gliffie

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1906-3068
Guys, Yoshi is the truth. I also think Yoshi's Island is a really good stage for him. The slopes have some funky interaction with his down-b

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yoshi is good. Yoshi is so good in this game. He's SO good.

Dair feels safe in short hops, bair has kill power, fair is a much stronger meteor and has a bigger hitbox...all of his favorite things about Yoshi have been made better.

Going to love playing as him.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Just got 2nd at a local sort-of major with Yoshi, made it cleanly through to winners finals, but lost both rounds to a sheik :( I was struggling with her camping with needles and burst grenades, her running away and edgeguarding with bouncing fish, and constantly grabbed to Uair'd no matter what I tried. Feels like a bad matchup to me, have any of you guys played any sheiks as of yet?

Last edited:

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I played a Sheik in Winner's Finals today. Vectoring to either side might make it harder for Dthrow -> Uair to work, and vectoring the Uair down really makes a huge difference in how long you can survive it. It was really obnoxious at first, but once I remembered that vectoring was a thing and started doing it, everything felt better.

One thing I found really helpful against Sheik in the neutral game was short hop/full hop egg toss. You retain so much control over your horizontal movement while throwing eggs in this game, and eggs fall down further than they used to, so it's a surprisingly effective option for creating openings, without putting yourself at risk of getting bopped by needles. For me at least, the eggs encouraged them to shield, so I could drop in with an Egg Lay to catch them out of it and start mixing up from there. I don't know how well this works against the grenades though; the Sheik I played barely used them. Overall, the MU didn't feel that bad to me once I got a handle on it.

I went on to win that tournament BTW, 100% Yoshi. Yay. \o/

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Egg Toss keeping its momentum is AMAZING in so many ways, honestly I think (aside from the shield buff) its the best buff Yoshi received by far.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Just came back from my first tourney: 2nd Place, whoop!
As always since 7 years i got beaten (twice) by Luigi_player (you might know him).

But still, Yoshi is friggn back!!! <3

Nordal

Smash Lord
Yoshi plays similarly to how peach used to. I just need to get used to b reverse techs since that wasn't really important in the characters I played before (aside from b reverse thunder for pika).

I wonder how many people here remember that my first main in Brawl was Yoshi.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm loving Yoshi in this game. The only thing I'm not a fan of is his egg throw. I feel like Brawl and definitely Melee granted more control and range for the eggs.

Hopefully my opinion changes once I get a GC controller in my hands on the Wii U

Scatz

Smash Champion
3DS sucks in terms of control. Wait for real judgement until WiiU comes through.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
I hate not being able to play this. Parents allowed me to buy it, but destiny is against me here.

First, the best game store I know of in my town (FNAC) bought 400 copies to last a month. That stock didnt last a day.

And when I tried buying it through the e-shop, the credit card company refused to allow it, seeing as "external purshases must be made in dollars" ( which makes no sense, seeing as I bought Phoenix Wright: DD using the same card in local currency )

I will probably try my luck by going to another shopping center this weekend, but I dont think I will find it until the hype settles.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Hello all. How's it hangin'. Glad Yoshi got the treatment he deserved this time around.

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Yea the ending lag is pretty atrocious. Though as long as you are precise, you won't have to worry about missing since it's easier to catch landings in this game.

Still, we can't throw out retreating pivotvgrabs like we used to :/

Last edited:

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
Just got the game today yoshi feels good glad to to ETS is back but sad that my favorite kill setup is gone Jab to DownB I feel like yoshi will be decent this time around but who knows the game is still new and playing against DhD annoys me that mu seems bad but thats just me

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Just got the game today yoshi feels good glad to to ETS is back but sad that my favorite kill setup is gone Jab to DownB I feel like yoshi will be decent this time around but who knows the game is still new and playing against DhD annoys me that mu seems bad but thats just me
Who's DHD did you play? I also main him so I think could help

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
Who's DHD did you play? I also main him so I think could help
It was a random for glory match so dont take that post that seriously lol ive just always had a problem with projectile based characters since i always want to rush in and most of dhd projectiles got on my nerves like the can and clay pigeon so it just seemed hard for me at least because he forces me to play a way that im not used to

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
@ AirJay AirJay I just played a Yoshi in For Glory just recently too. Were you blue? I was a Brown and Tan DHD(Rottweiler)

I also went black Yoshi a few games.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
It'd be pretty amazing for one of us to come across another Yoshi main from here just in For Glory mode.

So has anyone got the 3DS Yoshi theme installed yet?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
It may be a bit early for this, but do we have a Skype group dedicated to Smash 4 Yoshi and not just the Brawl or PM one? Stuff I want to discuss with people here without cluttering up the boards.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
What's your skype again.
Cause of how inactive the new group is already and people just posting in the old one all of a sudden, we might just switch back to the brawl one.

Ben Prochazka

Smash Cadet
So I don't know if this this is the exact place to put this, but I've noticed that yoshi doesn't make his yoshi ground pound noise when using down-b...but after digging it is in sounds > voices > yoshi > clip 22.

Why would they decide to put the sound clip in the game, but not actually be used? Or maybe it's just me not hearing it?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Huh, you're right...not playing in any of his customs or anything either.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I'm scared of all these techs breaking my 3ds ;~; Just gonna let my hand rest a bit then I'll get into this and see what can be done.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Wow yikes. This is one of those things im getting the vibe will benefit others more than it helps us. Maybe if we can find some guaranteed strings we could get some good use out of it. Other than that more mobility options for footsies and whatnot is always fun. But usefulness will probably be machup related. Might not do use much good against characters faster than us.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Oh man I forgot to look at that thread when I found it a few days ago. Funny enough the two most important videos in that OP is what I didn't watch yet.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Certainly excited to test all that out on the wiiU version. Though do you have to just be fast, or a fast initial dash animation?

Top Bottom