• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
He's finally back, and looks better and cuter than ever! And we even get a brand new shiny thread of our own for socializing! Have at it fellow Yoshi's, this is a good day :colorful:

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi will be Top Tier. BELIEVE!!!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I love how Sakurai looked so confident as he held that Yoshi figurine in the Direct. :3

My heart raced an unbelievable amount when I saw the Yoshi figurine and his expression, anyone else?:laugh:
Sakurai is a legend.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Just need to know if it takes longer to break out of it or if everyone is gonna fall that fast now. Hope it's both, Yoshi needs some kinda big buff that can bump him up into high tier.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Wait, people use Yoshi for something other than home run contest? :yoshi:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Was it just me or did the reason for holding Yoshi back for so long seem like a load of tripe?

"He stands more upright now. This is a quite a big change so we waited a while to show him." Ya mean like how you didn't show Bowser standing more upright straight away because it was a big change?

Glad to see Yoshi back, but goddammit Sakurai that was such a lame duck excuse.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Was it just me or did the reason for holding Yoshi back for so long seem like a load of tripe?

"He stands more upright now. This is a quite a big change so we waited a while to show him." Ya mean like how you didn't show Bowser standing more upright straight away because it was a big change?

Now the only thing left to see is how effective he is in the battlefield. I don't believe the "He will be more fit to fight on the battlefield then ever" until i see actual gameplay results. I still will be playing Yoshi as i have been doing since Smash 64 but that doesn't mean i believe a word sakurai says about Yoshi's effectiveness.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I agree that the excuse was pretty questionable, but I love that they took the time to make the new idle stance (and his expressions in general) so adorable, and how his jab and dash attack were changed to look far more ninja-like. He looks much more lively when compared to Bowser in my opinion, so overall, I think it was worth the wait.

And hey, at least he got back before:ness2:/:falcon:/:jigglypuff:!

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
I agree that the excuse was pretty questionable, but I love that they took the time to make the new idle stance (and his expressions in general) so adorable, and how his jab and dash attack were changed to look far more ninja-like. He looks much more lively when compared to Bowser in my opinion, so overall, I think it was worth the wait.

And hey, at least he got back before:ness2:/:falcon:/:jigglypuff:!
You're 100% Right about that. You Win

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush

That first part seems kinda true, but something I noticed a couple hours ago when somebody mentioned his Dsmash was faster is that he actually got out of his shield pretty fast after rolling before using Dsmash.

So doing the upright thing might've been a hassle somehow for them, but they must've hidden more things with Yoshi since we didn't see much of him outside of "oh look at his moves, they're new and shiny" they actually kept away from a couple core things about him while anything else that seemed different with Yoshi I already pointed out in a thread I made recently.

For example, he was shown only using egg toss while on the ground. Only rolling and no signs of shielding in place and possibly being able to jump OoS. Etc.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Essentially, although I'm curious as to whether or not they're drawing attention to his defensive options with the surplus of rolling we saw. I swear Yoshi Backrolled in like, every clip.

But yeah, they're probably doing something with his shield. Hopefully.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Well the intro picture did say "Yoshi rolls into battle", maybe they just really wanted to emphasize the rolling part :p

And maybe it's jut me, but it really did seem like he had less lag after the roll than in brawl, though. Hopefully egg roll received some buffs as well, at least not making him helpless after use would be nice.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Is it just me or does his roll go a bit further than before too? I might do a comparison later to be sure but it looks like this is the case.
He can definitely act out of a roll much faster. Big improvements right here!:grin:

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Guys.. this is PRiDE if you wanted to know.. haha I seem to be having an identity/tag name crisis...

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Yay, we got all 8 starters form the Original 12 now! Only 3 left to go and this game will be worry free!

Also, in the Greninja trailer, anyone notice that Yoshi totally derps out when he gets hit and goes crosseyed? It's so dopey, but cute! :joyful:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Is it just me or does his roll go a bit further than before too? I might do a comparison later to be sure but it looks like this is the case.
I tried to make gifs comparing Brawl and Smash 4, but it's hard to tell...

100% speed

50% speed

I couldn't get the gifs synced up perfectly, but pay close attention to the 50% set. It looks like he enters the shield much faster now!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is it just me or is does his neutral B seem to have less start up lag too?

That shield entering seems neer instant comparing the two. This can only be a good thing.

I also wonder if any of his moves have higher priority this time round...

I forget but were we shown his egg throw in the air too? I wonder if the Brawl hover was kept or not.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
How so? Also hi Pride if it's really you.
Hay!

Is anyone else not a fan of the new shade of green they used for Yoshi?? lol... Too bright! Hopefully the pink is the same..

He also seems more rubbery lol...

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Alright den, wut's the problem with identity?
Identity as in I do not want to go by PRiDE anymore because I feel too old for tags...30 now >_< and plus my students are more into my gaming life now and I do not like having any ... assumptions about me based on my tag name.

Last edited:

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Hay!

Is anyone else not a fan of the new shade of green they used for Yoshi?? lol... Too bright! Hopefully the pink is the same..

He also seems more rubbery lol...
No way. Yoshi is SUPPOSED to be bright! I adore his looks in the game, and can't wait to try him out once again.

And did you see how stretchy he is? I like to think he IS rubbery, kind of.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Realistically, this is how he should've looked since Melee days, or even 64 where they based his appearance on his cameo in SM64 rather than his own game Yoshi's Story, where he even got his own stage from. And Brawl's artwork for him he looked like he would stand upright, he even does so when holding the cracker launcher and fireflower, yet reverts to his semi-hunched over pose. I guess they were trying to make it look more realistic. *shrug*

But he's finally here...Just. So. Happy!! But does anyone else find it weird how he's kept his Brawl walk, run, turning and tail chasing animations which reverts to being bent over again?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well dunno about Melee, but 64 Yoshi wasn't in many games to use a model for. Super Mario 64 model seemed fine to me unless you wanted them to use Yoshi's Story model somehow while giving it the blocky 64 look instead of 3D.

Yoshi can't be the only special one to get a 3D model that looked great while the others were blocks. So they prolly just thought "we already have a model for Yoshi that can work, so let's use that and go from there"

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
But does anyone else find it weird how he's kept his Brawl walk, run, turning and tail chasing animations which reverts to being bent over again?
It seems a little lazy, but I can see how it can be justified. From a technical standpoint, I think that Sakurai stated that when working on characters they import models from Brawl and alter them from there, so reusing Brawl animations probably means much less time spent programming. From a realistic standpoint (if you want to call it that), I guess it can be hard to keep an upright posture when moving around - I know that I often hunker over a bit when jogging or making a quick turn. But I would guess that it had more to do with the former. :p

Either way, I'm glad they gave him such adorable expressions. How could anyone with a soul attack him when he's giving you those eyes?

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
It seems a little lazy, but I can see how it can be justified. From a technical standpoint, I think that Sakurai stated that when working on characters they import models from Brawl and alter them from there, so reusing Brawl animations probably means much less time spent programming. From a realistic standpoint (if you want to call it that), I guess it can be hard to keep an upright posture when moving around - I know that I often hunker over a bit when jogging or making a quick turn. But I would guess that it had more to do with the former. :p

Either way, I'm glad they gave him such adorable expressions. How could anyone with a soul attack him when he's giving you those eyes?

It makes sense to use the old animations as a base, just hoping they tweak them a little before the game's release, like his putting his arms at his side when walking rather than in front, sort of like his official art. But he's Yoshi so it's automatically still adorable. >w<

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I just hope they give him the level of control he had with his eggs that he had in Melee.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yoshi feels somewhat more solid in his moves, while having much more personality as well. Gotta dig his cuteness.

I also hope his Egg Throw has been made more controllable.

Top Bottom