• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YGD - As the snow melts, the mighty Dinosaur rises once more!

Best Yoshi Attack

• Total voters

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I feel like Shiri was the only person on the Yoshi boards around before I was.

Although, to be fair, I didn't post much the first... 3 or 4 years.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Not a true statement. I don't see why I need to defend this point to you or him, though.

I lost cuz I made one critical error at the very end of the set. I coulda just repeated what I did to Carls.

And if Zeton were too good he woulda moneyed at the tournament.

Also, if Zeton is almost losing sets to a Yoshi who only pivot grabs, he's ****ing awful.

D

Deleted member 189823

Not a true statement. I don't see why I need to defend this point to you or him, though.

I lost cuz I made one critical error at the very end of the set. I coulda just repeated what I did to Carls.

And if Zeton were too good he woulda moneyed at the tournament.

Also, if Zeton is almost losing sets to a Yoshi who only pivot grabs, he's ****ing awful.
I thought derpster was kidding. .-.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
First post was obviously a joke.

Second post, not so much.

Especially the "he told me" part. Regardless of whether or not Depster's kidding, that says nothing about Zeton.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Speaking of Fox, I almost beat megafox at the tournament I mentioned two days ago.
Game 3 last stock, a bunch of bair/uairs along with jab brought me victory game 2. (I guess some good reads too...)
But yeah, Fox is a dumb MU.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's not even a terrible MU. It's just really ****ing dumb.

My least favorite MUs go something like...

Falco
Fox
MK
Lucario

And then there's a huge gap. I have some pet peeves with the DK MU cuz Will is a monster. Outside of that I'm pretty okay with anything else I'd ever encounter in tourny.

Depster

Smash Champion
Sorry Delta, didn't mean to upset you. What he meant by what he told me was that it took him a while to figure out how to get around your grabs because of how differently you and I play, and obviously he is familiar with how I play, so it took him a while to get used to you. You have a very strong basic game, and I concentrate too much on various tricks, so he wasn't expecting such a strong basic game. I feel you though, playing fox gets pretty annoying, what with lasers and a usmash that kills at 110.

D

Deleted member 189823

It can actually kill a little before 100...I've seen it kill Ally's Snake at around 110 (you know, that guy with super DI).

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Sorry Delta, didn't mean to upset you. What he meant by what he told me was that it took him a while to figure out how to get around your grabs because of how differently you and I play, and obviously he is familiar with how I play, so it took him a while to get used to you. You have a very strong basic game, and I concentrate too much on various tricks, so he wasn't expecting such a strong basic game. I feel you though, playing fox gets pretty annoying, what with lasers and a usmash that kills at 110.
It's all good.

Iunno, I usually don't die to Usmash till like, past 110. But that could be because I get super defensive around 100, lol.

Also, it could be possible that Ally just had bad DI that one time.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
It's not even a terrible MU. It's just really ****ing dumb.

My least favorite MUs go something like...

Falco
Fox
MK
Lucario

And then there's a huge gap. I have some pet peeves with the DK MU cuz Will is a monster. Outside of that I'm pretty okay with anything else I'd ever encounter in tourny.
Reminds me of my match-up with Pit which is meant to be okay.

Campy characters just get to me sometimes. Don't always just have the patience to sit there and magnet or bat it away all day. :/

Sharky

Smash Master
I just realized we didn't play at all. =/

edit: I thoroughly enjoyed the mention of "yoshi special forces" XD

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: !! We totally didn't play! How did that happen (or not happen)?! D:

I always have GCN controllers in my car, too. Will there be a next time...?

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
So, as most of you probably know by now, I spend a lot of time studying videos and longing for the days when I, too, might be able to play against top-level competition without driving 8 hours to find it.

As a result, I'm occasionally struck by brief instances of really good ideas--the latest of which is a guide wherein experienced Yoshi players discuss options for moves usually considered less safe or viable. The purpose of this exercise is multifold:

1. To make known otherwise "exclusive" Yoshi knowledge (that is, things that work for ourselves that we rarely see other Yoshis trying)

2. To broaden the scope of our moveset. By convincing ourselves that some moves are completely without practical use, we are inhibiting our potential to find additional uses and thereby exacerbating the problem of limited options.

3. To continue advancing the metagame of our character, we need to not only compete against top-level players, but to remain consistent in our reevaluation of viable strategies. This means not being prescriptive in our approach to learning and teaching Yoshi, but descriptive of our experience with each move independently.

To summarize all of this: we should re-open the discussion on less popular/talked about moves and their potential for growth and describe our experience with making these moves work.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Make the opponent think youre going to either dash grab or run past them and pivot grab and instead, right before you get into range, egg roll. Theyll usually try to dodge the grab with something like a sidestep or tilt, but the egg lay stops your movement for a sec, so they whiff their attack/dodge and you roll through em. I do that often and it works wonders haha.

Sharky

Smash Master
yes indeed, sir.

and I hope they add smash to the next dustbowl, I don't see why not as it ran pretty smoothly imo

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I've just become the best Yoshi in Australia, I am happy~
Not trying to boast, just making people aware.

Top Bottom