• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Stages for Ylink
what about that??

whats the better choice for ban?
whats better for counterpicking?

I like FoD because you can hook -> walljump -> UpB from below the stage :3

rhan

Smash Hero
Chival: Next time I see you or happen to go to NoVA for something I'm down for that. :)

YL v Fox is hard but at least it's more fun the Falco.

Roche: Banning depends on how you play. I ban FD cuz I hate having no platforms, while others ban BF cuz they hate that edge, and others ban BS or RC cuz they hate those stages all together.

Counter pick though.. should either be Pokemon or YS imo. I love Yoshi's. <3

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Ok.

I was playing in training mode, and suddenly I asked myself: What to do against a "free to attack" oponent (for example jigs after a missed Rest).

F and U Smash are out of question since they are easily DIable.
Dsmash will do a max of 17 damage, same as Dair.

but...

Close Boomerang can do 19 damage, and lift the oponent for another attack.
at 0% i could combo jigs into Nair, dealing like 30% total damage (no DI, i dunno if they can get out of it)

if jigs is at 60%
Boomerang -> Dair is a combo and its a KO on FD (no DI again, just against a cpu on training mode)
(Dair alone won't kill jigs at that % and will do less damage than the boomerang alone, so its like the best option at least to try)

don't see any other posibility that is better.
=D

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
My secondary Fox vs your main YL mm? Lulz.
I apologize, I meant to clarify that I was laughing at falcon countering young link, not fox. I italicized, but I forgot that quotes auto italicize. oops.

rhan

Smash Hero
Best thing to do:

Lower percents and she missed the rest - Point Blank Boomerang (Thrown downward)-> Dair. Hefty amount of damage and it's a auto combo.

High percents - Just Dair her.

I had a conversation with Mahone about that (Surprisingly he's the one that suggested it).

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Falcon definitely counters YL. It's a soft counter, but a counter nonetheless. This notion stems from the fact that YL has absolutely no ability to platform camp/runaway camp because jumping gets him uaired and runnings gets him naired. Throwing out nair to beat Falcon's approaches is also not as reliable as some people seem to think. Falcon can easily bait nairs by running up and wavedashing back/in place. Or he can run and SH backward, etc. Then punish the nair easily. Also, his combos on YL are devastating if you don't DI them well. Knee kills YL early. Falcon is heavy. Etc etc.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ylink can set the pace with bombs and good rang trajectories. uair is good against him. yl is good in general when underneath him, which isnt a difficult position to force him into. if you are a good spammer, he is gonna be forced to board platforms or full hop. this is an opportunity to get under him.

yl has many tools to set the pace vs falcon, even if falcon does have a slight advantage.

i still see the matchup as even. falcon is suuuuuper easy to edgeguard too

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Projectiles can only do so much vs Falcon. He has approaches like nair through boomerang (as Roche mentioned). He can run up shield boomerang/bomb -> nair out of shield/wd forward oos -> grab/nair. He doesn't have trouble at least running up to where YL is, and once he does so he can pressure a bomb holding link with double jump fast fallen bairs, even if YL is holding a bomb. There's also the issue of finding time to PULL a bomb. Falcon just needs once read and he can easily land an aerial during the bomb pull animation.

rhan

Smash Hero
YL's nair > Falcon's anything (Minus Nair/Uair).

Major edit:

Holy crap, I just found something awesome.

The upB or it's immedate "I'm done upBing and can grab the edge backwards" lag can't be canceled by the boomerang but something ELSE can.

This is huge.

If I can make it work right.

I don't think it's possible to do though.

I'm also not sure if it works in other versions of the game, but it should.

<spends entire day working on doing this one thing>
Doube post update on research!

Young Link can improve his recovery by strong throwing his boomerang down, double jumping and then airdodging up at the peak of his jump. The boomerang cancels your helpless lag.

Link can't do anything with this yet, but the boomerang DOES cancel his normal helpless lag. He just can't throw it at the angles required to make this very useful. I bet you can do something with it off a wall though...
Yeah, I spent like an hour screwing around with Link and couldn't do anything with it. With a wall you can probably cancel his airdodge with it to do a similar thing. Young Link is too baller though, you can throw it strong in front + down, double jump and then airdodge up and forward to catch it and upB/airdodge and hookshot after.

Screw you Young Link players for getting this cool trick instead of Link!

Also, I'm calling it Young Sklering.
Just thought I'd share this info with you guys. I believe it only works in the version that YL + Link can do the super jump.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Full jump nair loses to Falcon's SH uair.

Random SH nair when Falcon charges at you loses to him baiting the nair and DD grabbing/WDing back -> grab, etc.
why are you fullhop nairing against falcon in the first place?

then don't fall for the bait. wait until you seem him approach with an aerial, then nair.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Falcon doesn't have to telegraph his aerials. He can do the Mango: run, stop, SH knee/nair. You can't react to a point blank nair, and you can't punish a knee that hits your shield.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Did you read any of my last posts? Falcon is stopping short in anticipation of a nair. If he confirms that you don't nair, he can space his own nair unpunishably on YL's shield. Wavedashing out of shield doesn't lead to a punish, just an escape, and if Falcon is good about fast falling his knees, sometimes he can jab you out of your wavedashes before you slide away enough.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ugh.

The Falcon MU does not look good.

At least there are no Falcons in my region.

Crap, no Falcons, and I actually planned on going to some national in 2013, when I get back from Scotland. :/

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm loving today. <3

Reading back a few pages makes th
is thread seem simply ********. lmaooooo

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Dear god I hate thi$ joke. :laugh: I am hoping to get some more vids of my YL up soon. Also, the side event or whatever it is going to be at No Brand Con on April 15 in Eau Claire, WI is probably not going to be going on for very long. Probably only about 5 hours or so due to other games being there on the same day. Also, they have yet to confirm melee but they confirmed brawl. **** sucks atm.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
ok well smash boards makes no sense to me anymore. JAZZ HANDS? WHAT? and young wink? the black plague? explain all. and Cfalc cannot be beaten by ylink. ever. sorry. look for another character.

Top Bottom