• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Toasty's marth makes me do this = OH YES YES SO SEXY OHHH **** ME DO IT SUMMON THE POWER OF AZAJUJIN I-

in other words, I don't mind it <3

But dat Ness
dat Ness 2 good TOOOOOOO FUUUUUUKAN GOOOOOOOOD

Whoa. Like with the C-stick? Serious? That's really sweet... but that means you can't buffer, right?
No, you use the A Button. Or at least I do. I think C stick makes you roll.

One of my other favorite tricks is running in the opposite directon (run not dash) and then jump cancel turn around bomb throw, gets em' every time. well. maybe not every. (I think you do it with Z that time, man I am out of practice in my knowledge too lol)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
If I'm right about it, you just angle the control stick back (remember you can point the shield in directions?) and then tap A. Just don't go far enough to roll. But this might not work I can't remember exactly. I know you can also do it with throwing down, which I have used before actually on a platform against like CF or something I dunno, not as useful lol.

rhan

Smash Hero
One of my other favorite tricks is running in the opposite directon (run not dash) and then jump cancel turn around bomb throw, gets em' every time. well. maybe not every. (I think you do it with Z that time, man I am out of practice in my knowledge too lol)
Lol I use that tactic whenever I play Toon Link (Yes Brawl. I play Brawl every so offten.)

I haven't really tried it in Melee though. Didn't think it's possible.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Young Link
A / Forward A - 7
Back A - 7
Up A - 10
Down A - 6
Aerial A / Aerial Forward A - 6
Aerial Back A - 6
Aerial Up A - 6
Aerial Down A - 6
Dash A - 8

TresChikon

Smash Lord
In front of her:

You can either DI hard in front of her or lightly in front of her. DI'ing hard requires a dash grab, while a softer DI requires a standing grab, so Sheik has to guess your DI and if she dash grabbed, but you only DI ever so lightly away, she'll overshoot it and miss. Likewise if you DI'ed hard in front of her, but she only used a standing grab, she won't catch up to you.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Reacting to DI is definitely an option for sheik lol, but yeah just randomly mix up the DI in hopes that the sheik messes up somehow.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Or hit them in the face for being lame and chaingrabbing a low tier with a top tier =P

You might want to consider breaking out of the grab, rather than concentrating on DI. Depends on if they try to hit you or not.

rhan

Smash Hero
Trick up the Sheik DI one way then SDI the other way quickly. If that fails...

Keep tapping the A button so at least you have a chance on getting away.

rhan

Smash Hero
Whatevs you catch my drift. play tricks and spam A to try to break the chain.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Fox is a lot easier to play in friendlies than he is in tournament lol. No room to **** around and try to be creative, it's all business, and usually Fox throws you out of your house. I don't think any amount of advice will help that match-up :\.

rhan

Smash Hero
Says you!!!

But it's whatevs. I third Sheik but I tend to play her more in tourney. But people respect me for my Young Link and Samus more.

It's wierd being a Low Tier main and it's just not made for all of us. :(

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
I play Falco for all fast/medium fast characters and seem to absolutely **** everyone else with YL. So basically I have 2 characters for my needs but YL certainly is easier against more floaty opponents than Falco. He's a great asset to have for certain match ups so you might want to reconsider dropping him and just think about picking up a top tier character for the harder match ups. I'm pretty sure people don't expect YLs to beat Foxes anyway lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am going to limit my y.link to peach/jiggs. I main fox anyways.

Yeah, yeah fox does better against those two characters than y.link, but I feel most comfortable as y.link.

rhan

Smash Hero
I pull Young Link out against scrubs and Low/mid tier players. And Peach ofcourse. Sometimes Falcon..... and Jiggs...... and........... Sheik? ._.

I pretty much go Young Link against every character except spacies and Marth. That's when Samus comes out against Fox and some Falcos, then Sheik for Marth and Falcos that exclude me from using Samus....

I'm a confusing *** player. :(

legion598

Smash Ace
mkay so im trying to use YL as a jiggz counter and was wondering what exactly works on her and makes it a counter pick. When I pick YL I can win against jiggz but the match seems to take forever so I was also wondering when to throw out kill moves like Dait, Uair, Dsmash etc.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
YL is a fairly decent counter if you're really careful. You have to spam quite a few projectiles so yes it can take some time but it's one of the only ways to get that kill ;) Once you've wracked up a lot of damage, nair can be a good killer to Jiggs and Uair if you can punish a bad DI by the Jiggs.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
mkay so im trying to use YL as a jiggz counter and was wondering what exactly works on her and makes it a counter pick. When I pick YL I can win against jiggz but the match seems to take forever so I was also wondering when to throw out kill moves like Dait, Uair, Dsmash etc.
1. YL does not counter Jiggs.
2. You will probably never get a Dsmash kill on a proficient Jiggs.
3. Jiggs will destroy your life and make you quit the game.
okay not really

but Jiggs is awful. Everyone hates Jiggs. The thing is, for every char in the game, EVERY ONE, has to play completely differently against Jiggs. Even YL. If Fox and Falco can't just "run, camp, and ko" to beat Jiggs, trust me, YL ain't doin' it either.

If the Jiggs is around your level, sure, maybe you can wrack up damage with stray nairs, bombs, etc, but if the Jiggs is to a certain point (a point which, IMO, YL cannot reach...) Jiggs will win. If YL was actually a valid counter for Peach and Jiggs like the myth states, someone would've tried it vs Armada/Mango/Hungrybox etc by now.

In short, if you want to learn it with Jiggs, good luck. Especially with Pokemon Stadium off random.

But if you REALLY want a better shot at fighting Jiggs, seek Top/High tier help. I hate to sound so down on my favorite character, but it's just not what some people want you to think it is.

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
If the Jiggs is around your level, sure, maybe you can wrack up damage with stray nairs, bombs, etc, but if the Jiggs is to a certain point (a point which, IMO, YL cannot reach...) Jiggs will win. If YL was actually a valid counter for Peach and Jiggs like the myth states...

...seek Top/High tier help.
That's pretty accurate to the point lol except I don't have major problems with Peach. Idk about seeking Top/High a lot. I wanna say maybe Marth is decent? I can't remember but Falco sure isn't which is why I use YL for that match up. Jiggs is THE gayest character in the game and is a pain to play. A lot of times you want to just give up before it starts because you know what's in store if you want even a small chance at beating one lol. But hey I seem to find more to do with YL quite often now and although it doesn't make me an even match up, it certainly gives me a better edge.

Get them.

Mindgames.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
That's pretty accurate to the point lol except I don't have major problems with Peach.
Meh, yl really isn't as good vs peach as people say. YL can camp her and play cat and mouse pretty well, but if peach can catch him or corner him, she ***** him.

Eagle, we can do peach/yl after our yl dittos saturday. ;)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The reason why people don't use y.link vs peach or jiggs is not because he does not do well against them, it's because no one plays Y.link. Don't get the two mixed up :\. Y.link is indeed a bad character, but does well vs those two characters, at least even.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Meh, yl really isn't as good vs peach as people say. YL can camp her and play cat and mouse pretty well, but if peach can catch him or corner him, she ***** him.
Agreed. Really good and fast cancelling Peaches will **** your **** up, especially since they know your shield grab sucks. Need I mention that if you grab and she is floating the hookshot goes through her? it sucks.

Alphicans, I can see we won't agree here but I won't argue, since that won't do any good. I can only state what my opinion is, that YL is commonly seen as a "counter" which is definitely not correct. People say that and they have no idea how YL is played or works. Even? I wouldn't go quite that close but Peach is definitely within YL's preferred matchups compared to some others.

YL can do some nice combos on Peach (<3) and gets nice kills at times. Please note, I have come very close to beating Mike G's Peach (this is current Mike G : not in his prime, mind you) and that would more than likely NOT happen with any other character I used. I know YL doesn't completely HATE the match, I just get awfully tired of hearing it's a counter. Anything but a counter.

Again, my mind reflects upon Stadium being off the random and Corneria being gone altogether. This fact increases Peach and Jiggs chances vs YL, as our best stage vs them is now restricted to a CP.

might write more on subjects later, I am pretty tired right now

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Young Link counters Peach. His camp game is one of these best due to his quickness and control over his projectiles. Peach gets out camped anyway due to the fact she can't get around every single projectile Young Link has to throw at her. Peach is just not quick enough to keep up with Young Link's projectiles. Her turnips get negated by his character design and fundamentals. And it's not hard to catch them, which is often overlooked but perfectly viable given that you're just going to drop them immediately after and continue camping.

Top Bottom