• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Laijin, were you not paying attention?
Hungrybox wasn't close to beating Mango.
so if you're talking about some scrub Jiggs player, try that idea, but wow. Learning Fox's upthrow-upair and laser camping is better. Jiggs doesn't deserve to be played with respect.

Sorry if I come off as sounding angry. The way I feel about Jiggs is the way many people feel about Meta Knight in the Brawl community.

YL is dead off the stage against Jiggs, too. Pretty sure she can utilt rest kinda easy. You don't have a quick or safe grab, and Jiggs will abuse that by landing in front of your shield, almost taunting you about it. Don't understimate Jigglypuff.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
yeah no ****

so why are you asking someone to pick Jiggs against another Jiggs,when that person likely mains Jiggs and can beat other Jiggs?
>_>

"In Jigglypuff dittos, its not about who is a better jiggs player "
then you say
"Mango is a better player than Hungrbox"

way to contradict.

PS : for those interested, I put up a DL link to my combo vid director's cut

Laijin

Smash Hero
No.
My point is:
If you think you are a better player overall, but because you suck at the Jigglypuff match up. Dittoing them might not be a bad idea.
From my experience, Jiggs dittos are not like normal match ups. Its whomever can outsmart the other and outplay the other, not if "ohshi- I screwed up and now im off the stage there goes my stock".

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
idk I see a lot of people lose largely because they blow against Puff, she really isn't a normal character in terms of how her risk/reward works if they're accurate at all, and for all the crap people say about how she has to attack or she gets camped, the majority of them don't approach regardless because that's just extra time she lives past her comboable KO percent and into the massive grind time that everyone loves and it's more time for your opponent to get frustrated / become ******** and approach badly and then lose for it.

tl;dr a lot of good smashers are impatient, Puff ***** impatience like it's nobody's business.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
lol if that paragraph was too long for people to read, the internet has become a much more depressing place.

I definitely agree. For the longest time I was really reckless against Jiggs. Took me forever to learn the matchup, almost as long as it took me to not get crouch cancel downsmashed by Samus all the time XD

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to Young Link and I just have a few questions.

How does Young Link do vs. Ganondorf? I would like to use him for that matchup sometime if he does decently.

Also, any tips for Young Link dittos? Where I'm from people seem to love that match...

I noticed that up-throw can be used as a chain throw vs spacies at medium/ high percentages. Does anyone know what percentage they can jump out of it? What move would you recommend to finish the combo? Also if you grab a fastfaller at low percents would you tech-chase or up-b or smash them or what?

Also, maybe this isn't the right thread for this but whatever, is it possible to ledgehop, pull out a bomb, and regrab the ledge? I could have sworn I've seen it done but I can't do it myself.

Also, are bombs/ arrows/ boomerangs faster (fewer total frames) when used in the air as opposed to standing.

Lastly does anyone know of any good Young Link matches on Youtube? I couldn't find very many...

Thanks guys.

rhan

Smash Hero
Shaeman111 said:
Ban dreamland. Don't use y.link if they go mute city.
From there, do what rhan does best.
What I do best is camp and spam nair.... could work, But probably not the safest thing... I don't know about your ban choice.... I'd ban Mute if I know the guy plays Jiggs. Dreamland isn't as hard a matchup then it is on Mute.

I noticed that too KK. After watching all the people that fell to HBox at HERB2 was mainy because of them always rushing in. M2K was about the player that was patient and campy when playing against him. Also he probably has the most experience in the matchup Fox vs Jiggs due to him playing Mango in tournies.

Jigg dittos are not a great idea in my opinion. If anything I'd go Samus (Just cause I know Samus better). Samus vs Jiggs is all about out camping the other. Samus has missles and other projectiles that can eff up Jigg's WoP. Also her recovery is up to part with Jiggs. And if Jiggs trys to get off stage kills the bomb can eff that up and save your life.

Edit:
____

Ocho(*8*) said:
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to Young Link and I just have a few questions.

How does Young Link do vs. Ganondorf? I would like to use him for that matchup sometime if he does decently.
Camp your nuts off. Don't let him get close. Approach with bombs and Nairs.Whenever he's off stage Nair him. He's semi easy to gimp. Onstage edge gaurds consist of Dilt (Optional to non sweet spotters) and D-Smash (Best).

Ocho(*8*) said:
Also, any tips for Young Link dittos? Where I'm from people seem to love that match...
Camp. Camp. Camp. Spam Nair. D-Smash. You win. Seriously.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Also, maybe this isn't the right thread for this but whatever, is it possible to ledgehop, pull out a bomb, and regrab the ledge? I could have sworn I've seen it done but I can't do it myself.

Also, are bombs/ arrows/ boomerangs faster (fewer total frames) when used in the air as opposed to standing.

Lastly does anyone know of any good Young Link matches on Youtube? I couldn't find very many...
Thanks guys.
1 : Yes, regrab bombs as well as arrows are possible. and fun. just fast fingers, or fast timing, whatever you want to call it.

2 : I don't think bombs or boomers have any less lag in air, but it's best to use them in the air cause you're moving while doing them. Probably true for arrows as well.

3 : This is a great opportunity to plug my combo video, but you did ask for matches... So I dunno XD

and about Ganon, only camp if you're not really good at reading the enemy. If you are you can combo. If not it's bad news. I tend to go for combos 100 percent of the time thus I either wreck or get wrecked but honestly I don't like to camp with anyone (except against Jiggs, like I said, she doesn't deserve to be played with respect IMO)

It is always wise to have a bomb at the ready whenever you have space between you and the enemy. Bombs are incredible. The other two proj's are great, but if you work them with bombs, sooo much **** <3

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Thanks guys, that was really helpful.

and yeah TRC I've seen your combo video which was excelent but I was hoping for some complete matches. Matches can show spacing and how to aproach and what doen't work in ways that combo videos don't really show. The combos were great though. :)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
XD I know. I have some matches on my PC but I completely forgot the process in which to upload them without them being all choppy and ****ty.

But good news, I may have some new people to play, and if it goes well, I'll try and record some new matches with these guys if I can, and get them up. Though I'll have to figure out a way to do it, heh.

btw if anyone ever wants to discuss Young Link on AIM my SN is "Rage of Kira"
and no it's not Death Note related -_-

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
I read up Smashboards all the time but rarely post but if anyone wants to talk YL with me also, they can add eagletrent242 on AIM or Skype.

As a side note, TRC you need to head to Bama and smash with us some time :D

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
That is a lovely invitation <3 too bad Reflex doesn't want to play meeeleeee I miss his crazy ***. me and him make the best melee team ever : 4th and 5th places with DK and Bowser say whaaaat?

eagletrent242

Smash Apprentice
Why doesn't he want to play you? He suck at melee now? I've never seen him play SSBM just some Brawl which he ***** at. You played Moogle yet? I'm kinda scared too lol His Shiek and Fox are definitely to be feared lol

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Reflex enjoys Brawl, and doesn't take Melee seriously like he used to. And yeah, he ***** at Brawl! He used to be really good with Young Link in Melee, too.

Mmm, I've played Moogle maybe twice over the last three years? I can't remember how that went really but I'm pretty sure I have.

rhan

Smash Hero
TRC, you shouldn't have thrown your Aim out there... Now I'm going to be annoying the **** outta you with questions on Young Link lol jk. But yeah... I'll probably ask a few questions from time to time. :)

But for now....

Young Link vs ICs. Impossible? :(

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
If we're talking Chu then probably.

Otherwise...
Nana DOES hate projectiles, she's so stupid <3
of course never get grabbed...
hmm... haven't done this match much.
anyone else got any better tips?

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
maybe spaming bombs can separate them, and nana is dumb so she will always fall.
dont grab D:
dont shuffle nair
full jump rising autocanceled Dair can be nice against them xD (the thing is that you call the Dair when you are rising, so the attack finishes before you touch the ground), maybe you need two jumps for it to work, or maybe droping from a plataform to get enough height.
i think bair is useless
edgeguard...Dair would be my option if they can't sweetspot, and Dtilt if popo tries to sweetspot with upB alone. if they are together just Dsmash them xD
boomerang isn't the option, cause it has lag, and if it hits nana, you get grabbed->death.

always a good strategy against them is staying on plataforms cause there they can't grab-gay you.

when is just popo, just play him as you normaly would to any other floaty.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
keep your silly pokemon opinions to yourself. sure Ninjask is better competitively; but Yanmega is my favorite just like Young Link is my favorite in Melee. They're not as good as the higher ups, but I go out of my way to use them. I'd appreciate it if you don't bash either, please.

@ Roche, full jump dair sounds like a good idea.
Bair is never useless <3

rhan

Smash Hero
keep your silly pokemon opinions to yourself. sure Ninjask is better competitively; but Yanmega is my favorite just like Young Link is my favorite in Melee. They're not as good as the higher ups, but I go out of my way to use them. I'd appreciate it if you don't bash either, please.
Pidgeot > Yanmega. Get Sky Attacked. :chuckle:

If we're talking Chu then probably.

Otherwise...
Nana DOES hate projectiles, she's so stupid <3
of course never get grabbed...
hmm... haven't done this match much.
anyone else got any better tips?
I play both character but I haven't thought of anyways that Young Link could possibly win. Nana does fall for some pretty dumb **** but that's only when you break them apart. I haven't thought of anyway to do that without either being grabbed or owned by D-Smash.

maybe spaming bombs can separate them, and nana is dumb so she will always fall.
dont grab D:
dont shuffle nair
full jump rising autocanceled Dair can be nice against them xD (the thing is that you call the Dair when you are rising, so the attack finishes before you touch the ground), maybe you need two jumps for it to work, or maybe droping from a plataform to get enough height.
i think bair is useless
edgeguard...Dair would be my option if they can't sweetspot, and Dtilt if popo tries to sweetspot with upB alone. if they are together just Dsmash them xD
boomerang isn't the option, cause it has lag, and if it hits nana, you get grabbed->death.

always a good strategy against them is staying on plataforms cause there they can't grab-gay you.

when is just popo, just play him as you normaly would to any other floaty.
If the IC's is Chu level then Wavedash OoS will be the way to counter the bombs. Just let them smack the sheild and just swish underneath them.

Bair isn't useless. I think that it's probbaly the best SHFFL'd move that won't get sheild grabbed. Like running by the sheild and just appoach with Bair while going past the front side of the IC's sheilds.

unknown522

Some guy

@ Roche, full jump dair sounds like a good idea.
Bair is never useless <3
I was joking around.

It's all about novelty smeargle in competitive pokemon.

Pidgeot > Yanmega. Get Sky Attacked. :chuckle:
All Dai son

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Young Link forums are getting HOT

watch me get infracted for spam XD

SO ON TOPIC. HOW ABOUT THAT UM...
UH...
Hookshot. How about using that hookshot as an attack? Yeah? jump immeadietly air dodge back/forward and do it while moving back/forward? YEAH? WHO'S WITH ME

sorry guys I'm totally dead on ideas right now XD

rhan

Smash Hero
Hookshot is a good edge hop technique. Kinda learned it from Shaeman...

Insted of using a aireal like Nair while edge hopping. Replace it with HOOKSHOT! It's hilarious and it's got range. Lol

1+ Uses for hookshot.

rhan

Smash Hero
Haha that's classic. And ...I forget I have a myspace. I rarely check it. Smashboards has taken up my life on the interwebz.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I saw your sig and I was like "why not?" and so I did hohoho

I check this forum too **** often, wish we had something more to talk about.

next thing you know, we're going to be talking about Young Link using other items and how well/poor he does with them. SCREW ATTACK COMBOS FTW

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Probably! jump, jump, drop item and down Z.

I used to do stupid screw combos for fun when I was really bored. like Falco shine, screw jump, shine, screw jump, dair XD just looks hot

or Samus, screw attack to peak of jump and charge blast <3

rhan

Smash Hero
Word? I'm gonna get a shoutie? :D

Also I'm back. So lets get to talkin bout some Young Rinku!

rhan

Smash Hero
Yes he is. Too bad last time I played was like last time at your house.. I need to get back in the game... :(

rhan

Smash Hero
Due to work. I've been working since last Thursday. I have no time anymore. This weekend I work both days from 10am - 6pm.

Also punishment didn't aid in that either.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
So I rediscovered 2 nights ago how much fighting Marth sucks
but we've already talked about that...

How about who do we like to fight?
Roy and Game and Watch? Old Link? Ganon? Spacies and Falcons who aren't godly pro? COMBOASSSZZZ

And I take back my previous opinion on Fountain of Dreams, that stage is excellent.
Just not against Marth >_>

Top Bottom