• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
I only really use YL in low tier tournies so does he have any problems against sny of the low tiers?

Pikachu is my other low tier character so are there any matchups where I should definetely be using him instead? (ignoring the fact that I'm better with Pika)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
just camp everyone in the low tier. i'm pretty sure nobody in the low tier can stop his camp game except maybe pika

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I don't really think he has much in the way of bad matchups down there. it's pretty much just... every high tier character haha.

I don't really know Pika's matchups but if something is kinda bad for him give YL a try. And whilst he can't out-camp, Luigi is fast as hell so be careful of that... that's all I can think of ATM.

rhan

Smash Hero
I only really use YL in low tier tournies so does he have any problems against sny of the low tiers?

Pikachu is my other low tier character so are there any matchups where I should definetely be using him instead? (ignoring the fact that I'm better with Pika)
just camp everyone in the low tier. i'm pretty sure nobody in the low tier can stop his camp game except maybe pika
This post except the Pika part. Only character in the Low tier ranks that really has the ability to stop a strong projectile wall is Older Link. Especially if the Link has the smae kind of playstyle. In that match up it's really about whoever get's thier bomb/boomer to hit first.

Shiek is all sorts of gay.
Personally I hate that match up as much as I hate the fox match up.
Jash however loves the Sheik match up. He would be best for that question.
Sheik is easier/more fun to me that Marth is.

In the Sheik match up you have to avoid getting chaingrabed by camping and always having a bomb on you. Not nessicerally throwing the bomb but just incase you need it a little for recovery or getting out of auto-combos. Needles hit your projectiles away but arrows usually stop them from getting near you or hitting. Just have the arrow in the ground at a " | " or " / " angle. Boomerang is almost never used unless you predict a Sheik's jump and angle that straight up. Then if that connects it's auto-dair around the percents of 50-65ish. Nairs and Bairs are a YLink's best friend. If you can't get the boomerout fast enough while the Sheik's approaching from above then go for a approached SHFFL'ed Uair. If you want to go defensive, try for a up B OoS when Sheik makes contact with your Sheild. Easy damage.

That's all I got for now. It's a little jumbled but it's all legit.

N64

Smash Champion

I actually mained pika and secondary'd ylink for a good while.

I played pika vs. everyone except puff, and ylink vs puff lol. But really, of the high tiers you'd probably want to use pika vs. spacies and falcon, and ylink/pika for the rest based on what you're more comfortable with. Pika doesn't get absolutely ***** by spacies, and goes just about even with falcon.

rhan

Smash Hero
Pika gets easy gimps off predictable recoveries. As log as your good at getting the opponent off stage, it's your choice whether the opponent lives or dies.

What are somethings I can do in the YL vs Fox matchup? My mind's completely blank in that matchup. I usually go Samus but I decided to mix it up and go Young Link for a few rounds at a local smashfest last Saturday.

(Also a little background info. I only focus on certain matchups with my characters.)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Just curious, what do you Y.link mains think of the jiggs match-up? I have no good jiggs to vs in my area, but I would think it's pretty close to even.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
^ Upair says hi lol. But yeah we're very limited but I think we may have a slight advantage over jiggs. Mainly because our spam nullifies her aerial game and she dies super quickly vertically and we have bomb to dair :p. A whiffed dair (even lcancelled) can usually mean a free rest though.

rhan

Smash Hero
45-55.

My opinion. Even if you're on the offensive, one screw up leads to you losing your entire stock.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well atm, the people making the melee match-up chart have y.link at a 40-60 disadvantage to both peach and jiggs, when personally I think it should be at least 50-50. Projectile zoning, and limiting aerial movement really shines in both those match-ups, coupled with the new found ability to kill it's definitely reasonable to say that. Maybe some of you good y.links (who agree) could try to stir up some discussion in there. For those who disagree I'd like to hear some in depth reasons, because those two match-ups have always made me wonder.

rhan

Smash Hero
Gimme a link so I can argue that ****.

Young Link has at least a 55-45 against Peach. Peach is easy to counter since our projectiles are faster than hers and can also keep her away at the same time. And once she gets close it's just a matter of nairing her and running some more.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yeah, Peach is in our favor definetely. I also think samus is very evenish possibly in our favor. But w/e its not like ppl will listen to us in that thread.

rhan

Smash Hero
If we mass the thread and give valid info to our match ups they will.

Especially when all I play Is low tier characters. Only top tier I play is Sheik against Marth.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
O_o this board is so dead :/. I was playing against a fox and I manage to get a grab and uthrow him at 50 ish percents and was able to utilt follow DI wavedash utilt until 70-80 ish percents and then finished with a nair. Is this a true combo? O_o cause it seemed to be.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
As long as the DI it makes sense to me. I did something similar at a tourney in GA today. I got like 7th but mostly used Falco : (

sorry YLs. was so out of practice and YL takes much more practice than Falco for me (since I mained Falco for 4 years, and YL for 1...) Still I did play him a lot in friendlies and did some okay stuff. but in general was pretty ****ty. DogySammich's Doc and Chaddd's Ganon 3 stocking me, for example. (1 round)

I think I'm kinda... gonna stop playing smash... cause... I dunno. Life. career. school. melee "dying". meh. I dunno. don't have the time or motivation like I used to.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
What do you define as a "true" combo? If your opponent has ridiculous SDI, it won't work =P But it does well to limit their options, which is always a plus.

Life, career and school, eh? I think you should seriously consider dropping one of those for Smash. Like life. Who needs that? Stocks are much better.

rhan

Smash Hero
As long as the DI it makes sense to me. I did something similar at a tourney in GA today. I got like 7th but mostly used Falco : (
I think I know what tourney you're talking about. Was Toasty there? He's posting videos of a recent tourney he was at.

sorry YLs. was so out of practice and YL takes much more practice than Falco for me (since I mained Falco for 4 years, and YL for 1...) Still I did play him a lot in friendlies and did some okay stuff. but in general was pretty ****ty. DogySammich's Doc and Chaddd's Ganon 3 stocking me, for example. (1 round)

I think I'm kinda... gonna stop playing smash... cause... I dunno. Life. career. school. melee "dying". meh. I dunno. don't have the time or motivation like I used to.
Obviously you haven seen the pre-reg list for Pound 4.

As of now:

106 for Melee.
36 for Brawl.

If anything Brawl is dying out.

Edit: Pound 4 Reg List

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
weeee namesearching!

TRC and I had a sweet fake-bracket match [LOL he failed and misread the bracket, skipping a match I was supposed to have before we faced each other...sadly, I lost that one and my win over TRC didn't amount to anything but good times, good tourney practice, and hugs =D]

Sad ending, though :(

PS
"Are you sure you want to stay Young Link?"
"I dunno...I mean...I'm kinda feelin Young Link right now..."
"...................are you sure you're not actually feelin Falco??"
"..you know what? I AM feelin Falco!"

LOL I love you dude. Don't quit. Just adjust your personal investment in the scene as well as your expectations from tournaments [harder to do than it sounds, I know :(] and it won't be so bad.

Take a break if you need to, though........which is to say: see you at Pound 4?

I thought so.

EDIT: I'll have vids of our matches along with any of yours that you played on that TV posted tonight =D
www.youtube.com/curiousenver
[I believe I have you vs. PB&J? And I'm guessing you ended up having to play Boss Nasty since he beat me...hopefully you played on my setup, I wanna see that ^_^]

editedit: haha Rhan, "recent" also = YESTERDAY. Too much fun :)

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
My expectations for tourneys are usually last place, so I usually end up thinking positive after I win once <3

I mean, what should I expect, not playing a game for 2 months and then going to a tournament? despite that I think I handled myself pretty well, and doubt if I'd practiced I'd have beat anyone I couldn't beat then, anyway.

We did play on your setup. Boss Nasty did an rather insane combo and nice comeback on my Fox at PS, glad I know it was recorded!

and Rhan : the only people who play melee live over 2 hours from my house now, and nobody visits me, I have to visit them and couple that with school, jobs, gas money, money in general...

All I know is I firespike KO'd Chaddd at that tournament and that is enough for me.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am going to a tournament in 2 weeks, and I am going to be using y.link 100%. I'll probably have some vids up and you guys can see the unseen power of my y.link =D.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
zommmmg THA FIYA SWOOORRRRDDDD!

[ah crap, I forgot to tell you the story about SavEdge and that line XD hmm another excuse for us to meet dude =D]

too good, though

That's rough...being so far away from viable Smash :(

And DUDE didn't you get...like...7th yesterday? *pound*

Relevant:
Marth vs. YLink seemed rather difficult on your end >_<
But what's new, I'm guessing?
*shrugs* I'm very new to using Marth so I don't know the crap about how matchups should go [hell..I got straight TRASHED first round yesterday by that Link player]

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
To guys playing YL soon : yessss good ****, rep it yo, make sure to do shield bomb throws cause that throws people off like maddddd.

I love holding a bomb and running up to like, Fox, and just shielding. so he's like "k guess I'll dash dance and go for a throw wooberdingdodo" and then you just LOL TOSS BOMB FROM SHIELD IN YA FACE LOL COMBO HAPPENED WHAT NOW FOOL LOL RUN AND PULL MORE BOMBS

don't forget you can throw bombs upwards and behind you (I think?) from inside the shield!

thanks for the pound Toasty *pounds back*
yeah Marth is a general dislike amonst the YL. See the first post of this thread for example lol this is how our thread started

rhan

Smash Hero
editedit: haha Rhan, "recent" also = YESTERDAY. Too much fun :)
You know my situation when it comes to videos and mah internetz...

I just breeze by any post with a youtube link to it....

and Rhan : the only people who play melee live over 2 hours from my house now, and nobody visits me, I have to visit them and couple that with school, jobs, gas money, money in general...
I'm in the same boat. I barely see my crew mates anymore. 2 went off to college while the others I can't really see cause I work almost every weekend...

And most of the smashing happens 2 - 3 hours away from where I live. I go over at least 3 bridges just to get there....

as soon as you said "a general dislike amongst YL" I recalled Rhan's post (of ANGER!) in the SoVa thread when I told him I was going to main Marth and not Ness anymore...so it's funny that he's actually the OP of this thread XD
I'm still mad at you. <.< You abandoned me.... Now I'm the only low tier player in SoVA. (Even though you aren't SoVA anymore but who gives a ****?).

No more Ness vs Young Link. :(
No more throwing bombs at your spike jacket. :(
No more it's a trap's. :(

Top Bottom