• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Xbox

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I'm wondering how much cash Steven Spielberg is getting to direct an XBox exclusive series of Halo. I doubt he would of just wanted the job.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Honestly, this may lead to the end of Microsoft in the video gaming market.
The multi-billion dollar juggernaut that is Microsoft won't be out of the videogame market because of one bad console reveal.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
The multi-billion dollar juggernaut that is Microsoft won't be out of the videogame market because of one bad console reveal.
The reveal itself, no, but I think what they were trying to say is what if the console tanks this gen?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Even if it's a disaster and doesn't sell, they aren't going to pull out. The sales of Office Software alone would be enough to keep them going into another console. Throw in their other software, phones, tablets...they aren't going anywhere unless they're losing multiple billions
EDIT: Oh yeah, latest trademark.

A filing application with the United States Patents and Trademarks Office from Microsoft has revealed the company plans to deliver content to Xbox One owners on a 'per-user-view' basis and if the number of views is exceeded action - though it's not exactly clear what - will be taken against the system's owner.

According to the application Microsoft intends to create "A content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content.

"Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content. The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."

Based on the description of the technology developed for the patent it seems likely Microsoft will use the Kinect sensor, which is mandatory with Xbox One, to monitor the number of people present while watching a TV show, movie or music on the device. Presumably, should the content be consumed by too many people Xbox One owners will need to pay again.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Even if it's a disaster and doesn't sell, they aren't going to pull out. The sales of Office Software alone would be enough to keep them going into another console. Throw in their other software, phones, tablets...they aren't going anywhere unless they're losing multiple billions
Maybe. I think it's mostly too early to tell at this point. If games don't sell on the xone developers are going to stop making games for it (either by force or by choice, idk) and if enough of them give up on it Microsoft will have no choice but to try again or scrap their video game attempts completely.

Microsoft isn't exactly going to be hurt by any of this though, at least not short term ... it's just everyone else who's going to feel the burn. Which is why they see nothing wrong with these re-paying for used games/licensing gimmicks.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
It just bothers me that consoles are slowly going away from (or at least making 2ndary) what their original purpose was.

GAMES

Started with the 360/ps3/wii gen (7th gen i think) and it getting worse this new gen.

finalark

SNORLAX
It just bothers me that consoles are slowly going away from (or at least making 2ndary) what their original purpose was.

GAMES

Started with the 360/ps3/wii gen (7th gen i think) and it getting worse this new gen.

One of the few advantages that PCs used to have over consoles was easy local multiplayer. Too bad the big three seem to have forgotten all about that.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah. We are in desperate need of some good non-shooter local multiplayer games.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
That is why you guys should be sticking to handhelds like I am.
O-kay, so long XBox. I'll stick to enjoying your PCs, Microsoft.
See, that's how they get you. This was a diversion to make people buy Windows 8.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Handhelds actually are pretty good, not gonna lie. It's weird, but I'm more excited for upcoming 3DS games, collecting some PSP games, and even upcoming PSVita (despite not having one) games than I am the Wii U/PS4. The XboxONE is somehow less exciting to me than cleaning up after one of my cats pukes.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Report: Publishers to receive cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales

The Xbox One will support the used games market, but how this will happen and who stands to benefit has been a topic of much discussion this week. As Microsoft continues to allow speculation to run rampant, MCV has gotten in touch with UK retail sources who explained a plausible scenario of how the system will work.

A customer walks into a reseller with a previously purchased game disc. This can only be done at retailers that, according to MCV, have "agreed to Microsoft's [terms and conditions] and more importantly integrated Microsoft's cloud-based Azure pre-owned system into its own." The game disc, having been registered in the system, now wipes the license use from the previous owner's account so that the installed game on their Xbox One can no longer be accessed.

Here's the delicate part: the publisher and Microsoft will now receive a cut from the sale. Previously, a company like GameStop pocketed 100 percent of the used game sale, now ConsoleDeals.co.uk is reporting it could be significantly less if Microsoft has oversight of the market. The pre-owned market would go on, but its glorious margins to retailers would be destroyed. Meanwhile, publishers would finally get what they've always dreamed of: a piece of that pie.
That'll work. Just make it harder for everyone involved. >_>

Never have I been so.... utterly repulsed by a gaming console. Sorry I mean "entertainment center"

Xyro77

It was only a matter of time. Devs see a quick cash grab so they will do w/e it takes to get it. Im willing to bet sony will do something like this with the ps4. Nintendo will always be last (thankfully).

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
If they want to stop used games/get the money the used games market gets, why not just release everything through digital distribution?

What is the point in the disc for the XBO?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
That is why you guys should be sticking to handhelds like I am.

See, that's how they get you. This was a diversion to make people buy Windows 8.
Joke's on them! I've got Windows 7 and if I ever do need to get Windows 8, i've got a free copy of that too.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Not like I'm ever gonna buy an X1, but I did enjoy selling my games on Craigslist, cause I could make SO MUCH more money rather than giving it back to Gamestop.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I like the idea of the publisher getting the money, but only if GS isn't making money off of it. But really, this whole DRM thing sucks for the majority of people.
If they want to stop used games/get the money the used games market gets, why not just release everything through digital distribution?

I think it's because this is just the awkward transition between. Sony made no transition with the PSP Go and it created a lot of backlash. But that's partially because Sony was awful with digital distribution at the time.
Joke's on them! I've got Windows 7 and if I ever do need to get Windows 8, i've got a free copy of that too.
lol That certainly works out.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wait so is this a games console or a big brother consumer lock in Tivo?

The more of this I see, the more I'm actually being pushed towards a PS4, which is something I'd never have even thought I'd say a good number of years ago. Also as lukewarm as I've been about the Wii U, I'll probably get one now anyway, I just wish Nintendo had invested more in raw power. =/

finalark

SNORLAX
It was only a matter of time. Devs see a quick cash grab so they will do w/e it takes to get it. Im willing to bet sony will do something like this with the ps4. Nintendo will always be last (thankfully).

I doubt Sony will do something like this. Despite the fact that I really don't like all of the social networking features of the PS4 Sony isn't stupid and the PS4 is certainly built around a gaming experience much more so than the Xbox 1.

Xyro77

Until digital downloads surpass brick and mortar sales, i highly doubt discs will go away. it will probably happen towards the end of this new gen (6-7 years from now).

I doubt Sony will do something like this. Despite the fact that I really don't like all of the social networking features of the PS4 Sony isn't stupid and the PS4 is certainly built around a gaming experience much more so than the Xbox 1.
I would have never thought sony would throw out a 600$ ps3 system (and tell the public to get two jobs in order to buy it) or have literally no defense vs hackers but.....lol look what happened. Anything is possible with sony/microsoft/nintendo.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Wait, some were upset that Gamestop/EB, a video game STORE would be making 100% profit off of things sold at their store? Isn't that kind of the point of selling something that's in your inventory? To make 100% of the profits off of it? I mean, sure it won't affect the consumers, but it's still kinda a dumb thing.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wait, some were upset that Gamestop/EB, a video game STORE would be making 100% profit off of things sold at their store? Isn't that kind of the point of selling something that's in your inventory? To make 100% of the profits off of it? I mean, sure it won't affect the consumers, but it's still kinda a dumb thing.
The stupidest part about this "war" on used games it that you ONLY see video games doing this ****.

Whenever a new Song of Ice and Fire book comes out I don't have to send George R. R. Martin a letter so he can bind my copy to my George R. R. Martin account.

Movies don't burn the film to your blue-ray player so you can't resell them later if the movie in question ends up being ****.

I swear, if video games as a whole eventually fully go down this route I'm just going to fully focus on movies and books.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It means they lost a lot of potential sales just because people wanted to spend 5 dollars less for a used game. I think people are mostly annoyed that GS gets to make so much revenue after ripping people off for their trade-in values as well. And yeah, it's ideal to make a profit off of your inventory but the developers and publishers don't get any of it for their hard work after trying to recuperate their losses.

Gamestop will this still last a little while longer. I don't like how they run their operation, but I'd feel bad for people losing their jobs in the future.

Edit: I'm not supporting DRM by any means, but I do hate the fact on how much GS makes by giving low trade values to people. It's business I know, but it's one of the things that build up to me not liking the company in its entirety.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well yeah, low trade value stuff sucks (I remember once trading in a game there that was still sealed that I got there, and seeing it on the shelf beside me listed for like $30 more than I got trade-in wise as I was actually trading it in), but as you said, it's a business thing. I mean...people may complain, but if they were making money off of it themselves, they'd do the same thing.

Xyro77

The absolute best option when selling games if ebay/craigslist or sell them to friends. NEVER trade them in to GS unless there is a sweet deal+membership+coupon.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The absolute best option when selling games if ebay/craigslist or sell them to friends. NEVER trade them in to GS unless there is a sweet deal+membership+coupon.

Hey, I traded in 3 crappy PS3 games I didn't play to get Injustice free on Day 1 along with the pre-order DLC free, and the Season's Pass for an additional $5. But...for me personally, the EBGames (Canadian GS essentially) that I run into in the city are pretty good on things.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
It means they lost a lot of potential sales just because people wanted to spend 5 dollars less for a used game. I think people are mostly annoyed that GS gets to make so much revenue after ripping people off for their trade-in values as well. And yeah, it's ideal to make a profit off of your inventory but the developers and publishers don't get any of it for their hard work after trying to recuperate their losses.

Gamestop will this still last a little while longer. I don't like how they run their operation, but I'd feel bad for people losing their jobs in the future.

Edit: I'm not supporting DRM by any means, but I do hate the fact on how much GS makes by giving low trade values to people. It's business I know, but it's one of the things that build up to me not liking the company in its entirety.
You do realize that GS spends 70-80% of their profit buying NEW games to sell right? So how again is GS "taking money away" from devs and publishers?

The problem is the way producers do business. The 5th gen era was a great one for producers because it was so easy to make profit when a game failed. As a result, some nasty habits surfaced, and people got promoted fast. Then 6th gen came and this is where the game market started to hit some rough patches.

Sadly, the state that the game market is in right now is a very volatile one. Which definitely has an impact on game design.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You do realize that GS spends 70-80% of their profit buying NEW games to sell right? So how again is GS "taking money away" from devs and publishers?
Because they don't constantly buy new copies of the same game after the initial shipment (aside from Nintendo usually). It's why they only order a tiny bit above the preordered amount so they avoid a deficit. The rest of the copies are just used copies for years and years. I've worked at Gamestop for awhile too. The amount they spend on buying games is through a fixed bundle usually to get that discount so they can profit off of it. Now imagine years of selling the same game where they only give you let's say 5 dollars store credit and then make people pay 40 dollars for that used copy while devs don't make any of that.

Devs aren't maximizing their profits either from things like manufacture costs. This is why you'll see more smaller companies resort to digital distribution or sellling games from their own web store like Aksys or NISA.

tl;dr They're "taking money away" from potential sales they could've made later through the years. This is why Nintendo is pushing digital distribution so much along with others. to keep those profits instead of gamestop. Most of GS's sales are through used games compared to new.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Nintendo REALLY screwed up putting such a small amount of space in the wii u.

They do sales on digital stuff and I was hoping THAT would be the future. Like some of their new releases are 50 or even 40 for digital and 60 for the disc.
Thats a classy way to fight used game sales, but there is only space for like 3-5 games on a wii u so...

Nintendo might have been wise to wait and making a stronger, bigger system because after seeing ps4 xbox one I think Wii U would be a clear winner for a real gaming console. 299 for a wii u looked good last year, but the other guys are gonna be likely 400+ especially with mandatory kinect on X-1. Wii U could have release for 50 dollars more and been alot better off for it anyway.

Only microsoft IP im interested in is anything rare makes that is oldschool. If Banjo comes out with another REAL platformer, I'll play it at a friend's place (if i know anyone who buys this thing)

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Because they don't constantly buy new copies of the same game after the initial shipment (aside from Nintendo usually). It's why they only order a tiny bit above the preordered amount so they avoid a deficit. The rest of the copies are just used copies for years and years. I've worked at Gamestop for awhile too. The amount they spend on buying games is through a fixed bundle usually to get that discount so they can profit off of it. Now imagine years of selling the same game where they only give you let's say 5 dollars store credit and then make people pay 40 dollars for that used copy while devs don't make any of that.

Devs aren't maximizing their profits either from things like manufacture costs. This is why you'll see more smaller companies resort to digital distribution or sellling games from their own web store like Aksys or NISA.

tl;dr They're "taking money away" from potential sales they could've made later through the years. This is why Nintendo is pushing digital distribution so much along with others. to keep those profits instead of gamestop. Most of GS's sales are through used games compared to new.
And yet people fail to realize that the value of their game goes down significantly upon purchase. (Much like how your new car is worth significantly less upon purchase.) That is all I am gonna say about selling your games to GS.

Anyways, how does a dev lose any profit on that used game sale when there is the same exact number of copies roaming about? At some point, someone had to purchase that game brand new. So the devs are still making money somewhere. It is not like there is an infinite number of hard copies roaming around that people should buy to support the devs. Using the logic of GS sells used games takes away money from devs would therefore be the equivalent of you selling a game to a friend, or heck, even lending them a game. (For free nonetheless. You are such a terrible person for not telling your friend to buy the game for themselves for the sake of supporting the devs.)

Digital distribution is a great way to get people to buy your games and to help get additional profit as you basically have an infinite supply of games to distribute, but people really need to learn from steam and their discount sales. Because everyone loves impulse shopping. (And then they later curse themselves for their uncontrollable impulses.)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero

That may suck but...I'm pretty sure it's just capitalism. I mean, I know if most people could spend $5 each on a bunch of games and sell them all for $40 each they would jump right on that. Like...I 'get' that it sounds bad and might take money away from potential sales, but it's well within their human rights to do so, and I can't honestly say that if I could make easy money doing something similar, that I wouldn't. Keeping in mind though, that I understand the dissatisfaction with it from the point of view of people trading in games and am merely trying to explain things from both sides, but still.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah. We are in desperate need of some good non-shooter local multiplayer games.

*Points to a Nintendo console*

Well not everyone has internet, and those who do, not all have fast or reliable connections, so it makes sense to...oh.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mario party and smash can only take one so far. :(

Games like return to dreamland are only good for one play through for the most part.

finalark

SNORLAX
Mario party and smash can only take one so far. :(

Games like return to dreamland are only good for one play through for the most part.

I tend to keep single player games I really, really like around just in case I ever decide to revisit them in the future.

It's actually been pretty handy lately. Since I really can't afford many new games I find myself replaying games I haven't picked up in years and its almost like a new experience if I haven't play a game in a really, really long time.

HashSlingingSlasher

Smash Rookie
this is what a guy said after xbox deleted his comment on a xbox one video.
My comment was removed by xbox, so I will just say it again. Xbox One is like a toaster that can do a million other things, but it really doesn't care about toast and blocks used bread. Instead of removing my comments, maybe you should do something about your problems, Xbox.

Top Bottom