• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

T-block

B2B TST
Happy New Year guys

I played smash until 11:59 here, went to yell with my family when it hit 12:00, then I was back playing smash that same minute.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's times like this that I love the PT boards.

Okeydokey, I'll make a thread within the next few days.

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
i used pokemon trainer once in tournaemnt this week and won then i used higglypuff and won then i used ics and lost then i used pikachu nad lost

i think i play pikachu now

Bomber7

Smash Hero
so exhausted, bag under my eyes and too awake to go to sleep. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo anything new? New AT's anything?

how about this, we ditch this board and start developing the one on AIB lol. total mindgame to the rest of SWF; the PT boards will be deserted and the AIB PT Board will boom or we can just, you know, copy and paste everything to AIB because they are way behind and all.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Or not. New developments will be found by those looking for it. If no one finds it, clearly they don't care enough. AIB sucks anyways. SWF has stood the test of time, and always will.

For example, I hear there are no Japanese PT mains. (from a reliable source)
They have a main for pretty much everyone, except for PT. Is it lack of sources? No. They just know that PT sucks. =]

That being said, I'm starting to believe Magik about Charizard being better than Squirtle....

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
That's pretty crazy that there's no Japanese PTs. I mean, look how big they are into Pokemon games!

And Vermy, both you and Magik are just plain crahzay.

Vermy

Smash Champion
No Japanese PT mains. Truth. We have an Aussie over there in the heart of Japan's Smash scene, and of all the players, he's not seen or heard of a single PT main. Depressing? Yes.

As the metagame grows, grabs are becoming more and more valuable. Both for setups and damage. Shieldgrab wrecks Squirtle. It's why I struggle so much against my friends D3. Squirtle has no move safe on shield other than watergun, or an instant hydroplane (since the shield pressure puts you out of punishment's way). Charizard has better options against defensively minded players, his back roll is underrated, he has stronger DI, and due to him hitting like a semi trailer, doesn't feel the effects of fatigue as much as Squirtle.

My Zard has been tearing people to shreds lately, and Squirtle has been lacking moxy. Squirtle's metagame is at it's current peak, give Zard and Ivy some attention.

@Zigsta: I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i remember watching a few videos of a japanese PT but it wasn't anything special

charizard is not better than squirtle

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
All good points, Vermy. I disagree with your statement that Squirtle's metagame is at its peak, though. I stand by the idea that more shellshifting options need to be explored to further Squirtle's metagame. If you're having trouble getting shieldgrabbed, you need to become more unpredictable.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As the metagame grows, grabs are becoming more and more valuable. Both for setups and damage. Shieldgrab wrecks Squirtle. It's why I struggle so much against my friends D3. Squirtle has no move safe on shield other than watergun, or an instant hydroplane (since the shield pressure puts you out of punishment's way). Charizard has better options against defensively minded players, his back roll is underrated, he has stronger DI, and due to him hitting like a semi trailer, doesn't feel the effects of fatigue as much as Squirtle.

My Zard has been tearing people to shreds lately, and Squirtle has been lacking moxy. Squirtle's metagame is at it's current peak, give Zard and Ivy some attention.
Pivot B-Air is wonderfully safe on shield against most characters, you know. You have the grab range of Marth and a really awesome F-Tilt. You can powershield Dedede's F-Tilt and grab him, too.

Squirtle's metagame has a long way to go. Nobody's really explored hydrojabbing stuff much (<3 Kith for bringing it into the open), and I think that might push him over the edge. His ridiculous potential mobility should be simply amazing in competitive play if we could master it.

Ivysaur isn't exactly unexplored, but her aerial game is rather good, despite the terrible horizontal aerial mobility. We need to list all of the various mix-ups in jumping we can use, and what works best to keep each opponent out. Ivysaur is all about taking advantage of shield pokes, I feel, and she has the tools to make it work against almost any character. Maybe a list of when certain opponents die from sweetspotted Up-B (from, say, the Smashville platform at the middle of the stage, I guess) would help. What each character can do while you land from a D-Air or N-Air. Who we can hit on Battlefield through the platform with D-Air. Options when each opponent is on the ledge. It's the little things that mean a lot with Ivysaur, I think.

Charizard depresses me. There aren't many things I can think of that can be explored. I've already brought up the ISJR frame data being useful. What about a list of what Frame 3 Rock Smash reliably counters? What short-hop aerials are safe to use against each character? A "how to gimp each character with Charizard" bit? U-Air has become my favorite move as of late--Everyone should use it more (I credit Miles for bringing it to my attention).

Actually, all this does is tell me that I need to update my guide, hahah...

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Me being in here is kind of random, but squirtles retreating and rising aerials are crazy safe on shield. with squitles aerial mobility you can be moving away from your opponent while fairing very easily.

PT as a whole is far from a bad character, and while it is interesting that there aren't japanese PTs it's always been America that been the strongest overall. You guys have been proving he can win against high level players using top teirs. I don't see how you are even questioning it right now.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Japan doesnt play pt because they all are aware of fatigue and will camp you for 2 minutes every time until you are fatigued.

They are smart and know all about characters they dont play.

And this is not speculation, this is straight from my friend that lives in japan and usa and is in the states right now and he told me all this after getting back from Japan about a 3 months ago.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
stamina is gay.

edit: something to lol at. This is an example of my sister and her friend's parking at 6am(it was dark) in the morning with no sleep after a day or 2. friend's car on left and sis's on right.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Lolz. For a second there I almost thought the white car was mine, Bomber.

And I just noticed that Mata got invited to the PTBR! Wooooo!!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Should have some videos in two weeks. I've got MMs lined up against DK, G&W, PT, and Ike, so I should have some variety.

Top Bottom