• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Ok Guys For Those Who Don't Know, It's Vermy's B-day! If You Are In America, Then Post Now Because It Is Actually His B-day In Australia Right Now!!!!! Spam His Profile!

Vermy

Smash Champion
Bomber, you're a f*cking sweetheart. <3333 Wubs, ultimate wubs.

Feeling old since a friend told me in 10 years I may experience grey hairs and that I'm halfway to 44. ;__;

That being said I'll still rep PT when I'm a grampaw. I will then go by Professor Vermy Oak, Ph.D.

Having a Smash/SF4/Alco-fest for a party. Calling it "Weekend At Vermy's". Ha. I'm so funny.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I know that some Pokémon are better against certain characters and not very effective against others, but it seems that, overall, they're pretty balanced.
Na they're not, most people think Squirtle is alot better than Charizard, and they're both waaaaay better than Ivysaur.

The theory that they're balanced is contradicted by the reality of matchups. Squirtle does the best against about 30 chars, and normaly Ivysaur does the worse, there are execptions of course, but that's the general trend.

Squirtle can pretty much do everything Ivy can but better, he even beats Ivy at his own game by spacing better than him from what I understand.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Thanks for the well wishes guys ^.^

I got a new bed, (Queen size ftw), a new satchel, a flying mario tshirt with "wingman" written on it XD, a skeleton hand belt buckle, a slab of coke, a bottle of jager, $200 cash, birthday secks from my gf and a red Darth Vader lightsaber.
Also discovered I suck at SFIV when drunk, but destroy in Brawl. My ivy was beasting all over the place. XD
I gotted spoiled. <3

Christmas is 5 days away =D

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Actually Magik,

I'm all about gimping Ivy at low percents.
That's the entire point of ****** Ivy early.

Marth: HI IVY!
IVy: NOOOOOOOO

Fthrow -> Fsmash
OMG YOU CAN'T EVEN GET TO THE GROUND BEFORE MY LAG IS UP AND I CAN JUMP TOWARDS YOU AND FAIR.
FAIR!
YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS EVEN IF YOU AIR DODGE
FAIR!
OFF STAGE
FAIR AGAIN
EDGE HOG.
Ultimate victory.

MK's dthrow has a similar effect from low to mid percents =).
There are obvious exceptions in some matchups

Bomber7

Smash Hero
HOLA YO NO HABLO ESPANOLA! SPEAKADA DOICH?

lol kidding. Yo what's up. everything is in the Pokemon Center.

anyways, off to more things. YA~HA!

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
Is it just me, or do Toon Link and PT always seem to go together. I know like four cases where someone mains one and seconds the other. XD

:052:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I don't really second TL, I main him just not as much as PT, I just let TL be a bench warmer however I'm starting to pick him back up again for friendlies and stuff, not so much for tournament play.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think I might be picking up Diddy Kong as another character.

That's a big "might", though.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Dang, I think I'm the only PT who doesn't really have a secondary. XD

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I can use a good bit of characters, but none of them are really that fun for me. I guess if I had to pick one to focus on it'd be Lucario or DK. I would say Bowser, but having two low tier characters isn't a very good idea. XD

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
You should look into it. They're nice to have, heh.
Unless you second Adult Link, like I do. XD

Use him mostly for matchups I'm personally ill suited for, such as Ike...

By the way, question. I seem to be having a bit of trouble punishing rolls lately, so... Since pretty much all three of PT's D-Smashes leave much to be desired, what's the best way to nail someone rolling behind you? Ness's roll --> B-Throw owns me... :/

:094:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Is it just me, or do Toon Link and PT always seem to go together. I know like four cases where someone mains one and seconds the other. XD

:052:
Yeah I'm one of those too, although I don't main one and seocnd the other, I just can't chose which one to main at the moment, so I use both of them, although my PT is waaaaay better.

I never really saw the point of getting a secondary for a low tier char, unless it's for something like Bowser/DK against DDD or Gdorf against Sheik, the idea of a secondary to me always seemed to defeat the purpose of maining a low tier.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that's actually a big part as to why my secondary is lower on the list than PT. Because I know that if I seconded, say, Falco or Marth or some other high tier, PT wouldn't see much action at all. :/

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Unless you second Adult Link, like I do. XD

Use him mostly for matchups I'm personally ill suited for, such as Ike...

By the way, question. I seem to be having a bit of trouble punishing rolls lately, so... Since pretty much all three of PT's D-Smashes leave much to be desired, what's the best way to nail someone rolling behind you? Ness's roll --> B-Throw owns me... :/

:094:
I don't think dsmash is always necessarily the best way to punish rolls. I think the idea is to learn the habit of when they roll, so you can dash grab them, get a free aerials on them, stutter-step fsmash etc. You could probably punish rolls with Ivy's usmash, but you'd have to be absolutely sure they're gonna roll.

Punishing rolls is kinda like how Dorf's will charge an fsmash in the opposite direction, expecting the opponent to roll with that after a flame choke, you don't always just press dmash, hoping to get them whether they roll or not.

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
I'm interested. XD

Actually, I don't know what it is, but Diddy matches are just fun to watch in general.

:083:

Vermy

Smash Champion
I think I might be picking up Diddy Kong as another character.

That's a big "might", though.
I've been playing around with Diddy a lot, at first just to familiarise myself with bananas and get a foot up on the matchup. Now I'm enjoying him a lot, and have had good results. Squirtle, Ivy, Zard, a Swellow (Falco) and a new Chimchar (Diddy) XD. Pretty much dropped Snake, except for Teams when a Marth is involved.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Why do people bother secondary low tiers? Isn't the whole point of a low tier that you like using them regardless of their many bad match ups?

If you care so much about countering bad matchups shouldn't you just main a high tier instead?

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Why do people bother secondary low tiers? Isn't the whole point of a low tier that you like using them regardless of their many bad match ups?

If you care so much about countering bad matchups shouldn't you just main a high tier instead?
Having a secondary is always a good idea no matter who you main

Top Bottom