• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wreck-It Bowser

D

Deleted member 189823

I thought I didn't qualify. Apparently I'm volatile, self-obsessed and don't play well with others. :awesome:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I thought so but wasn't sure lol.

Looking at bowser's frame data:
Grounded Side-B:
Total: 37
First grabs on frame 8

Aerial Side-B:
Total: 43
First grabs on frame 17
Landing lag: 3 (from short hop) or 7 (from higher fall)

^I assumed the starting frames were the same or closer. That's why my air Klaws are late :/ .
How do I buffer the infinite jump from Klaw? Any tips or things to look for (I suck at these)?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
you don't need to mash jump. just use side b and make sure bowser will still be in animation when he comes close to the ground, and then press x once before you touch it.

it's better to make sure you're fastfalling while doing the side b as well. i've seen a lot of videos with bowsers trying to klawhop and if it's not being fastfalled it just looks slugglish, ugly and awkward. there are certain situations where you actually benefit from not fastfalling though, so i guess just be sure to know when to fast fall and when not to.

for example if you've run out of a jump and you need to escape a super obvious punish from your opponent then instead of doing the wrong thing and airdodging, you can fastfall klaw and jump and get out of there (you could also klaw in the opposite direction and actually get a reverse FAir off but that only works on tall characters/bowser's huge *** anyway lol)

you can do a qcf motion to get a fastfalled side b (in this instance you would obviously press b only once the joystick reaches the side position, otherwise you're going to get a down b) or you could just press down, let the stick return to neutral position and then input the side b.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
mashing jump is fine! really, you're not weird, i sometimes catch myself doing it sometimes too.

it just becomes a problem because when you're mashing jump while trying to cross your opponent up, you often get a foostool jump out of a klawhop, whereas if you were to only press x/y/up on the joystick one time you would just jump (over your opponent).

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
you can also see him surviving a bowsercide around 40:15 or so.

it's basically how we all imagined when phiddlesticks (i think it was him) made the video on it

poutine is ****ing godlike, by the way.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Im from the Bronx and i have some fam in harlem (pretty much the intersection between the bx and manhattan). Nothing too bad except some flooding. It could have been a loooot worse man.

Swei thats the thing about Brawl. You can afford to take risks and do weird **** and you wont get penalized too terribly for it.

:phone:

D

Deleted member 189823

Brawl puts some emphasis on that on some of the higher tier characters, though.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I live in the middle of North Carolina, so we didn't get affected much by Sandy at all, besides some moderate wind and rain.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
part of the problem as well is that bowser is extremely under-used, so we can actually get away with a lot of things even more than we should. unless we're facing a player that is just very talented or playing against a character that absolutely shuts us down (or a combination of both, which forces you to pick your moves very very carefully), you can just do stuff.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That Ally vs. KingKong set on the stream was good stuff. If any of you are having trouble with the Snake MU, watch that set! KK did a great job giving one of the best Snakes (if not the best) IN THE WORLD a run for his money. If it were almost any other Snake, KK would have had it in the bag. Ally is such a beast, and there's absolutely no shame in losing to him.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
i haven't even watched it yet, i've been too busy with work.

david suddenly became a priority. good ****

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The set made me say to myself: "I wish my Bowser was good enough to only get one-stocked by Ally's Snake." :awesome:

I gotta train better and harder, so I can make that come true.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Why limit yourself? Keep your feet on the ground but remember that the sky is the limit.

Oh yeah hi people. And before anyone asks, I have a Bowser. He's my best low tier because reminds me of D3 in a few ways. I lurk and research here a lot. Figured I'd post in honor of Uncle removing himself from Lurker status from the GW board lol.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Good to know your family is safe, Limit.

I'll have to check out KK's set with Ally... tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 189823

Why limit yourself? Keep your feet on the ground but remember that the sky is the limit.

Oh yeah hi people. And before anyone asks, I have a Bowser. He's my best low tier because reminds me of D3 in a few ways. I lurk and research here a lot. Figured I'd post in honor of Uncle removing himself from Lurker status from the GW board lol.
You know I was going to recommend Uncle to use FATSO instead of gaw because I think Bowser/DDD mains are cool

I feel offended by people and their "low tier main" btw.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
The only time my feet reach the ground is when im sitting on my throne as king of the universe.

Otherwise im ridin around makin that CHEDDAR

Rizen

Smash Legend
...I'm lost.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
if you're getting chain-grabbed there's no way out. bowser is so big that if anyone were to drop a chaingrab on you i would label them as an idiot.

dedede, ice climbers, yoshi, falco, pikachu, wario and bowser can chaingrab bowser. there are a couple of characters who have gimmicky "chain" grabs at low percents like marth, pit, peach, wolf, ike and donkey kong, but i don't count them because it's not really game changing. pikachu and falco's chain grabs last for a bit so it can be a bit more problematic than the other characters, and pit has an fthrow-fsmash that can tack on 50-60%, but the others that i mentioned don't get anything more than 20-40%. the legitimate chain-grabbers actually get legitimate things and they last indefinitely.

dedede can dthrow bowser to hell and down smash is a guaranteed move out of a down throw, so you only need to make two mistakes theoretically to lose your stock against d3. wario can dthrow bowser up to 180% i think, yoshi's grab release can be done at any % from end to end, and it forces you into a 50-50 game where you either live to get put in that situation again, or you die and have to repeat the process again.

you know the deal with ice climbers.

the best way to escape is to either pick a laggy hdtv, or slap them across the face and resume position at the other end of the screen. rinse and repeat until you either win the match or your opponent is knocked out. there is no way. you're ****ed. the best best way to escape is to not pick bowser, but who does that?

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Lol, what a pleasant surprise! I figured a D3 player like yourself would like Bowser. He's got that defensive, grabby feel to him, for sure. He has do some more risk-taking, but that's part of the fun (and the challenge). Have you checked out Flayl's grab release thread? Lots of grabby goodness right there.

Also, feel free to upload any videos of yourself playing Bowser. ;)

You know I was going to recommend Uncle to use FATSO instead of gaw because I think Bowser/DDD mains are cool

I feel offended by people and their "low tier main" btw.
Even if I actually use G&W, he wouldn't replace Bowser. My love for him hasn't faded, and I consider it advantageous for a player to be competent with multiple characters. Even if one of them is bad like Bowser, it still gives the player a potentially awesome c/p option. Making change-ups can potentially throw the opponent off, exploit their potential lack of MU knowledge, and force them to adapt to a whole new playstyle.

As for picking up D3, he's cool and all, but I'm in the market for a smaller guy right now. Bowser and DK fill my heavy quota, lol. Also, there's no need to feel offended by stuff like that, dude. Instead, feel pride in the fact that Bowser is actually your main, and be an inspiration to anyone else who is interested in him. You're one of the last remaining Bowser mains, and you're on the rise in skill. Soon, people will be looking to you for tips and guidance.

The only time my feet reach the ground is when im sitting on my throne as king of the universe.

This man's swag knows no bounds! :cool:

...I'm lost.

Bowser Bomb is best used as a punishing move, yes. The nasty endlag of the move is not something you want in a match, because that's a license to do almost anything to Bowser.

The best situations to use it are..........

1. When you're offstage up high and need a quick way to return to the ledge. Ledge bombing is a common Bowser tactic and you can potentially get a hit out of it on your way down. It also completely bypasses the endlag. Just don't get edgehogged and don't miss the ledge.

2. When you're on the stage close to the ledge and need a way to reach it quickly. Basically, this is just a variation of #1. The only difference is you're using the grounded version.

3. When an opponent is over-committing to chasing you in the air while under you. If you're high up and someone's just stupidly throwing aerials out right under you, you can punish their commitment with a Bowser Bomb. You have to time it right, though, otherwise you'll just get smacked away.

4. When you ground release certain characters (like Falco) or go for a jab cancel on anyone. Bowser Bomb is a viable mixup in both of those situations. Just be aware that if the opponent sees it coming, he/she can avoid the second hit of it. Another option is just throwing out the grounded Bowser Bomb out of nowhere, but that's a big risk. Also, I believe that if you land a jab and both hits of grounded Bowser Bomb on someone's shield, it'll break, iirc.

5. When you have someone in a ledgetrap situation. A grounded Bowser Bomb, depending on your position and timing, can potentially punish ledge rolls, jumps, or climbs. Like with all ledgetrapping scenarios, pay attention to which ledge options your opponent favored throughout the match, and go for the read.

6. In doubles, when there is a ton of chaos going on and the focus is off you. Sometimes you may get knocked high into the magnifying area of the blast zone and your opponents may be ravenously attacking your partner. A surprise Bowser Bomb might be the perfect way to make a splash back onto the stage! I've always called this method "Stealth Bombing." ;)

D

Deleted member 189823

Thank you, Uncle. From the start, even if I wasn't a true Bowser main I've always wanted to get him to higher places, but I wasn't competent enough. I've improved a ton from the crappy player I was a year ago, and it's mostly- No, all of it, thanks to you guys. Usually you and Zigsta would say this, and I appreciate it. Heck, even Limit's snarky comments are kind of lovable.
It's probable that I have a tournament this month. I think I'll do well. I can't dissapoint.

Oh, and the other day I was thinking of the many possibly viable options KO options Bowser has. There were at least three BBomb methods in there, and you listed them there. My personal favorite would be Jab Cancelling into a BBomb. I have yet to try the ledgetrap one.

Rizen, I dislike it when people post videos in the critique thread and don't get their desired critique that makes them learn. However, I can't say I can promise you a great critique judging from a wifi match where the lag really hurts Bowser. You do a few things that shouldn't be working offline.

Oh, and, what was that about "laggy HDMI TVs"? I'm really curious about that. Other TVs make Bowser and Yoshi relatively unusable for me (well, I'm getting used to it with Bowser, but Yoshi...)

ChoZoAireX

Smash Rookie
I like to use bowser bomb as a "landing-lag-punish-punish"
when i play MK or zss for example they're often trying to punish my landings with dsmash or grabs n stuff and just bowser bomb right above their head so they often dsmash cuz they think I'd land now but then they just got bombed ^^

D

Deleted member 189823

Oh, as for you, ChoZo. I haven't seen your whole video vs. MK, but I will probably get to that. I'm not exactly the best to critique, though. But if nobody else is up for the job...yeah.

ZTD | TECHnology

Limit- said:

Swag.

Uncle said:
Lol, what a pleasant surprise! I figured a D3 player like yourself would like Bowser. He's got that defensive, grabby feel to him, for sure. He has do some more risk-taking, but that's part of the fun (and the challenge). Have you checked out Flayl's grab release thread? Lots of grabby goodness right there.

Also, feel free to upload any videos of yourself playing Bowser.
Yeah man, he totally plays a lot like Dedede except with a worse recovery lol. Defensive, "clunky: characters feel completely natural to me now after playing Dedede for so long. But I use :gw: for the change of pace. Keeps things interesting and fun.

Oh and I'll be a big tournament this weekend. If the situation permits...then I'll show off my Bowser. He's not too shabby.

Also yes, I look at it pretty frequently. I'm well versed on the essentials of the character. The rest is just learning how to stretch his tools as far as you can, being smart and getting creative ;)

Swei said:
It's probable that I have a tournament this month. I think I'll do well. I can't dissapoint.
Back that thought train up sister.

Don't worry about impressing people and trying to do the Bowser boards justice in tournament. Focus on playing your best and figuring out what you can improve upon that's limiting you. The rest will naturally follow. Entering a tournament with a "mission" isn't always beneficial. Entering with a clear mind and ready fingers IS.

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah... :( It so happens that when I try to impress people I do horribly, and yet, when I play normal I play so fluently. :awesome:

ZTD | TECHnology

That isn't a coincidence.

Just make sure that you have a clear mind before you enter a match and don't worry about anything else other than what's happening on that television your controller is attached to.

D

Deleted member 189823

That is a good piece of advice. I'll concentrate, thank you.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
yeah tech_chase is right. whenever i go to tournaments i don't worry about impressing anyone or trying to accomplish something. you guys know me, whether or not i do well is of no importance..i just play the game. you will do a lot better if you just focus on the match at hand, no rumors, no crowd, nothing like that. just do you and do your best, because if you do your best there's nothing else you can really do in that current moment. the improving comes later.

when you have a clearer mind you do a lot better, but then sometimes i feel like im just playing aimlessly. oh well lol

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I almost forgot! I never did tell you guys what I learned against Olimar:

Fastfalled nair beats upsmash. Doesn't matter the Pikmin or the charge. So stop airdodging and start nairing.

Go **** Olimars.

Top Bottom