• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wreck-It Bowser

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I can say that my grab release reactions are

O N P O I N T

thanks to MvC3. :]

also, welcome back my son.

D

Deleted member 189823

Had a tournament today. Did terribad.

I'm really starting to blame PS1 por all the times I lose. I lost three out of four times I went there. The only one that I won, I was almost beaten by a n00b Link player. I couldn't stop eating those charged F-Smashes and some arrows. That's how bad I did.

I only won four times, against crappy players. Lost against the same guy twice. Got 2-stocked in PS1 again.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
If you're really going to blame PS1, become familiar with that stage then. Hit the lab.

I don't think it's a stage problem, it's probably a mental thing, but I can never tell.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
PS1 isn't a particularly good or bad stage for Bowser, but one thing stands out..........

GRAB RELEASE WALL INFINITES ARE POSSIBLE. :cool:

The chances of it happening against an aware and skilled opponent are low, but it's still something to take advantage of if the opportunity arises.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Bowser is also glitch-tastic on the rock portion of the stage.

The cliff on the left side of the stage is super glitchy.

D

Deleted member 189823

It probably is a mental thing. I am almost sure it is. I work like that. :E Even if it's something as silly as that vomit-colored green, it affects me. Believe me when I say 3 out of 4 times I've been taken to that stage in tournaments, I lost. All of them because of the stage. The one time I didn't lose I almost got beaten by a n00b Link.
I shall train there more often.

Anyway, I ate a combo under that tree thing. The Ness player was trying to D-Tilt lock me there in the corner by I constantly clashed against it with Up-B until he F-Smash me, I bounched against the tree of stage, and when I was getting back, I got spiked. 2-0 early.

I was so butthurt that I left not knowing I could still continue.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
if that's the case, which is kinda strange, I would just ban PS1 and just take the risk that I'd have to perform my best on the cp stage than have to risk a loss on PS1. but even as im typing that, it sounds totally stupid. that's just my backwards thinking.

I'm telling you, the solution is to just familiarize yourself with the stage. It could become your favorite stage after a week of matches. Grab a friend and just play a bunch of sets on nothing BUT PS1. Even if it's on WiFi if you have to get that desperate (i hope not, but it is what it is.)

speaking of wifi, i kinda want to play a couple of matches with someone...i'm kinda bored and i know im not going to anything anytime soon lol, my wii is just sitting and collecting dust

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
oh. i dunno, it's worth a shot.

anyway, im open for wifi again..until like midnight est i guess. right now its 840

D

Deleted member 189823

Who do you think the best Bowser player is? I don't mean in North America, just in general. I think it's arguably Acid.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
no way. Acid definitely is not the best Bowser lol. I can tell you that much.

the best Bowser to have ever played period would either be Vex or David (KingKong) I guess...I really, really, really want to say me because it's just natural to be egotistic for humans but meh. I don't have results to back me up--I never did. I don't even know why I'm on the top 5 list lol

If results are included then I guess it'd have to be Vex or KingKong, they've consistently placed high once they started doing so with Bowser + whoever else.

Off of fundamentals, I'm not even sure...I mean, I created a monster...KingKong is way better than I am with Bowser. Everytime I see him play I'm always glad that I made him switch from Peach to Bowser.

I mean, he still does dumb ****, but who doesn't? lol... in all honesty he probably had the most going for him, and then Vex. But, Vex was smart and played better characters and is having a blast.

I think.

Zigsta obviously has been and still is improving at a strong rate. I would say he easily has the most experience out of us, since he's experienced Brawl from the majority of the coasts with the exception of the east coast. It's either him, or David because quite frankly hes played in canada, the east coast and i think the west coast? has he been to genesis or any wc thing?

All of us Bowser players do certain things really well and have good positives about us, and we all lack something. No one has had the perfect Bowser mold yet, and I personally think it will not happen because Bowser isn't the type of character for that type of ****. He's only good until a certain point.

Am I making sense?

I respect Zigsta the most out of all of us (American) Bowsers because he's the most home-grown. Vex obviously was home-grown as well, but the Brawl metagame as a whole wasn't really firm and set in stone yet, and Bowser was that gimmicky thing that Vex loved and thought was easily B tier at one point. Believe me, I still think Bowser deserves to be at the top of low tier, but whatever lol. I don't even know where he is in the tier list now at this point, that's how washed up I am now. It's so sad.

Zigsta played and played and played and lost (as we all did), but I think he just did it himself. He's an awesome, determined guy and I think he could definitely take the crown for #1 (blatantly speaking, none of the players above him really play anymore--we all know this. KingKong alluded to a tournament that he was going to, and I constantly hint at returning to Brawl, but that's not going to currently happen.) He had the drive to get better, and did so.

I can't speak about Uncle because I haven't seen many videos of him, unfortunately.

And that Mexican Bowser dude always has stellar results but I don't know how strong of a scene Mexico has.

Damn, I really like that enter button lol

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I undertstand. My criteria of judging Acid as the "best" Bowser isn't too deep either. He's just gotten to GF against Leon in a tournament last year using Bowser. That's pretty beast.
I do recognize you and Zigsta as one of the bests Bowsers, but to be honest, I never saw what's so good about KingKong. He apparently ranks high, but his playstyle is too...I don't know, not very special? And wasn't Vex one of the best Bowsers back in 08/09'?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
The thing about KingKong that you have to respect and understand is that although his playstyle isn't as like...dazzling or whatever, he gets the job done. At some point that's what it comes down to with some characters, especially severely lacking characters like Bowser. You can have spunk with Bowser, it's super easy, but you need to know two things, and I bet you that you already know these:

-Bowser is bad
-Playing him makes it harder to win a lot of games consistently, especially if you're not a refined player or if you know Bowser extremely well.

You have to get down to the (i hate this phrase) nitty-gritty. You need to win, and you need to do what works. You need to turtle, and put up a wall, and you need to know your grabs and know that Klaw is indeed a gimmick, but it's a threat and a pretty good one.

He plays an amazing defensive game, I've seen it in action. Vex and I, and all of the Bowsers that were around, aka Flayl, MrEh, and the homeboy Jay (shoutouts to the original family) taught him the things he needed to learn and then he just put it out and did his thing.

You don't need a "special" playstyle. You just need to do what works and what wins you matches. That's why I say he's the best, because he wins matches and (aside from DeltaCod sticking one far up his ***) is consistent with what he does...or did. I don't know if my statement holds true now.

And I forgot to mention in the "best bowser" post. There were a loooot of Bowsers that came out before this time.

Flayl put in a lot of work into the lab and came up with amazing threads and posts, he has loads of respect in my book and an attitude that I totally love.
MrEh is a crazy sandbagger but the type of things he knows about Bowser and what he does when he gets to work is beautiful.
Jay is also extremely knowledgeable and if he wanted to could be a great Bowser also.
Ixis' playstyle was off in the deep end, but he gave Bowser a completely new perspective that put him on the map for a while. His attitude went down the drain though, but he was still a stellar Bowser player with his own unique and lovely style.
And Acid, obviously, is revered in your eyes lol, I don't need to say much else.

The family is as tight as ever.

I also have to pay homage to WarriorKnight for being one of the first Bowsers to do his thing at the very start of this game. He was the reason that I even started playing Bowser, I appreciate his influence dearly.

D

Deleted member 189823

Oh, so he's not "flashy" but he's actually good. Is it true he's gotten 4th in his region going all-Bowser?

Flayl put in a lot of work into the lab and came up with amazing threads and posts, he has loads of respect in my book and an attitude that I totally love.
MrEh is a crazy sandbagger but the type of things he knows about Bowser and what he does when he gets to work is beautiful.
Jay is also extremely knowledgeable and if he wanted to could be a great Bowser also. The family is as tight as ever.
;0;

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
That's talking about Bowsers that came and went, I'm talking about before 2012, and even as far back as 08 lol.

Yes, KingKong is very good. He has a great batch of fundamentals with Bowser, he knows what he's doing, trust me. And yeah, he did get power ranked 4th in his area. Keep in mind there are different regions in Canada, I doubt they have one huge PR for the whole place.

If you want a flashy or fast Bowser, you could just look at Ixis. He does fancy and sometimes unnecessary stuff, but it works for him, and it worked for my eyes because I loved watching it, even though we all had to tell him sometimes that he was wasting time.

D

Deleted member 189823

Is WarrioKnight a Melee Bowser player?
Also, what other good Bowser players do you recommend to watch videos of? Those are fun, and I learn more stuff from others.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
yeah wk was a melee bowser player but I wasn't really in tune with competitive melee until Brawl started up, in all honesty.

wk was one of the first pro brawl bowser players, and I watched his videos and was immediately inspired.

uh, you need to watch a variety of bowsers and see their different styles and how they handle certain situations.

even in 2012 i learned **** from ninjalink's bowser videos in 2009. if you have to go old, do it.
just check out the video thread! it hasnt been updated in ages, so it should do you some justice.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Someone tell me what the fudge is up with Bowser's throws and why they're so weird.

None of them visually make sense and I feel like I'm being trolled whenever I up throw.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Heaps of throws in the game don't make sense, like how chairzard's dthrow does the least damage but most knockback.

:phone:

MrEh

Smash Hero
I do recognize you and Zigsta as one of the bests Bowsers, but to be honest, I never saw what's so good about KingKong. He apparently ranks high, but his playstyle is too...I don't know, not very special? And wasn't Vex one of the best Bowsers back in 08/09'?
It's not that simple.

People could argue that I had the most "special" Bowser playstyle ever. I would do some really strange and questionable stuff, but when it worked, it was glorious. However, was I ever considered to be the best Bowser? Of course not. When I was playing regularly, I always thought that Vex and later, KingKong, were overall better players then myself. When I played Vex, I could tell that he was extremely talented at making reads. And although I've never played KingKong personally, I am pretty sure that he knows his stuff. Don't let the simplicity of his playstyle fool you. He's a smart dude and it reflects in his play. (He does have some suicidal tendencies at times, but that's what makes him cool. lol)

Nowadays, guys like Limit and Zigsta are probably better then I was at my prime. It makes me happy seeing how far these bunch of players have gotten. The Bowser community has improved so much over the years. Even if I don't play much anymore, I don't feel to bad because I know there's always gonna be someone representing the fat turtle. I am so proud of this community.

Jay is also extremely knowledgeable and if he wanted to could be a great Bowser also.
Ixis' playstyle was off in the deep end, but he gave Bowser a completely new perspective that put him on the map for a while. His attitude went down the drain though, but he was still a stellar Bowser player with his own unique and lovely style.
And Acid, obviously, is revered in your eyes lol, I don't need to say much else.
Bowser family is hella tight, not gonna lie.

Where's Grandpa Sliq though? That ****er was the man back in the day!

None of them visually make sense and I feel like I'm being trolled whenever I up throw.
In all honesty, your opponent probably feels like he's being trolled when you Uthrow.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well it's suboptimal given Bowser's grab release options, which you know about so I'm surprised by your question.

It probably has situational use in teams or getting someone like Snake or ROB in the air to juggle.

MrEh

Smash Hero
^this

Due to Uthrow's set knockback, it's really only good for throwing your opponent onto platforms above you. On most flat stages, Dthrow provides much better mixup options compared to Uthrow, and it does more damage. And of course, grab releasing is usually always better since you can score some big damage provided you have some ok execution.

The real trollish throw is Bowser's Fthrow. Like, there is no point to that throw period.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Dthrow is pretty good, I don't use it enough because I normally go for GR klaw or GR jab klaw.

We could probably make a thread just on dthrow follow ups and mindgames/conditioning.

:phone:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Are there any particular characters/platforms that up throw could set up some mad tech chases on? Up throw to up air sounds cool in theory.

But yeah, I don't use this character so iunno. lol

MrEh

Smash Hero
Are there any particular characters/platforms that up throw could set up some mad tech chases on? Up throw to up air sounds cool in theory.
It'll work the best characters without multiple jumps. Having multiple jumps kinda screws this over hard.

Battlefield is the most prominent stage where you would be able to do this. Just Uthrow them over the platforms above you, and then go for the appropriate followup. Bowser being below his opponent and platforms is a huge positioning advantage.

B!squick

Smash Master
Aw, Limit, I didn't know you appreciated me so much. *bro hug*

I'd probably still be playing and being awesome if I actually had anyone to play against on a regular basis. Way back when, I found out on this site that the nearby college was going to be holding tournys, but then I asked about it and watched appropriate topics and... nothing came of it. :( Shame too, I'd have loved to show up for it too drunk to stand up straight. The trick is getting to just the right level of drunk so you're not thinking too much. Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but one of my biggest faults is that I'll get frustrated and make mistakes. I, unlike everyone else I know, get really mellow when I'm drunk.

Hell, I've never even owned the game or a Wii. That all belonged to my roommate who doesn't even like the game that much which makes sense because I don't like the fighting games that he beats me in, either. :)

Have I ever mentioned that this game is loads of fun drunk?

On a side note, I found out that Bowser has family in politics today.

http://www.youngboozerfortreasurer.com/

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
wait, his name is YOUNG Boozer?

holy **** he sounds like a rapper...good lord

Flayl

Smash Hero
Thanks Limit, I appreciate the appreciation haha

But yeah, I don't use this character so iunno. lol
The characters UThrow is best against are DK, Ike & Snake (maybe Dedede). You can do some USmash mindgames with it - charge it if you think they're going to airdodge, do an immediate one if they're going to do anything but jump.

D

Deleted member 189823

I told a friend who uses ICs to learn the chaingrab against Bowser.
I am a bad boy. >8]

D

Deleted member 189823

Awesome.

Anyway, Limit, I've been watching more videos about Ixis. I am quite liking his playstyle. He's what I look for in Bowser. I still like Acid best. :B

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Sorry to cut in with another Uthrow question, but is Uthrow -> DJ Bowser Bomb any good?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Man, Bowser has like... 8213187 things that seem like they SHOULD be good, but end up just being ways to troll.

D

Deleted member 189823

That's amazing, Mreh.
I keep forgetting to use that kill setting.

Top Bottom