• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wreck-It Bowser

B!squick

Smash Master
Oh god. Anyone bringing the newer Star Wars trilogy into an argument on the side of something making sense needs to take a step back and examine what they're talking about. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and really read what you're trying to say.

... Oh yeah, what started Anakin down the path of the dark side again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLaf8KX5e2Q

lol. I just love the way he says it. "Do it." And that's why that argument can't hold water. The whole reasoning behind it is stupid. You should watch the Plinkett reviews:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Anyway, back to the movie we're talking about. Now, he SPECIFICALLY crushed the metal helmuts around those dudes skulls. He didn't just make them fly off like he did with the random objects in the next room. Objects that didn't just fly around randomly as I recall, they flew around in a nice neat tornado. And even before this scene we saw him warping the gate that was keeping him from his mother. This all lead me to believe that he had at least some control over his power.

And it's not even that he didn't kill Bacon's character, it's that he in no way, shape, or form, TRIED. Those soldiers he killed were armed, what stopped him from picking up one of their guns and shooting him? That adjacent room was LOADED with sharp objects, why didn't he run over and grab something? Failing that, why didn't he lash out at him with just his bear hands? I was thinking in the theater the whole time, dude, the guy who killed your mom is standing right there... Right there... Now he's patting your shoulder.... Why is this scene fading to black.... what the ****?

And what further boggles the mind is that he's shown years later, obviously having moved on with his life in his apartment or whatever, and he's sitting on the couch and he all of a sudden decides, you know, I think I'll go kill that dude who killed my mom, today.

Let's use another Star Wars example for this. That'd be like if instead of killing off the emperor and saving the day in the last film (spoilers), Vader let Luke die and the Empire win and then years later he's sitting on his ball throne and he decides, you know, Palpatine killed my son all those years ago. I should go kill his ***.

He lost his Queen to Erik's King. I'm not sure how much you know about chess, but that is probably the most ******** thing you can do in a game of chess. And no, that wasn't symbolism. Magneto and Professor X are enemies, friends, and above all, equals. Opposite sides of the same coin. And the movie did a great job showing this in fact through out the entire film... except for Charles's random inability to play chess.

D

Deleted member

Jeez...First Class was a fantastic movie. Don't know why you have to be so nitpicky about it.

I hate it when people do that...just enjoy the movie. :(

B!squick

Smash Master
I did enjoy it.... the second half of the movie anyway. It made sitting through the silliness of the first half worth it. I'm only using the opening scene as an example of just one negative aspect that keeps it below Green Lantern.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Parallax: GOD, THIS IS EMBARRASSING. IT'S THE GALACTIC EQUIVALENT OF NOT LOOKING BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET.
Too bad that doesn't make sense out of context, I laughed so hard.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Kung Fu panda is the best.
I win.
This.

So random Bowser stuff: I've been doing something kinda like Vex's nair on shield to fsmash when they try to grab. I dair their shield and fsmash afterwards. I'm finding every now and then if you dair an already low shield and poke it, it'll send the enemy back just enough for fsmash range. People who aren't as experienced with Bowser (and his dair) sometimes try to grab afterwards.

Just something to think about or try out if ya like.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Best bait ever is when your Fortress is shielded. Move away from them...then move toward them at the last second. Watch as their grab misses. :D

So I just beat Back to the Future: The Game. Damn I loved every second of it. For a BttF nut like me, it was like delicious candy.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My favorite thing about Zigsta's Bowser is when I CG him from 0 to 20, and then I jab him until he's at a 100. Then I spike him.

Rinse and repeat.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
My favorite part about Bored's Ike is the two times he comes over in like a year.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My favorite part about Bored's Ike is the two times he comes over in like a year.
I have my reasons. Least I'm not Charles status.

Speaking of coming over...I think my apartment might be pretty far depending on where you're living next semester.

B!squick

Smash Master
Abin Sur: Hal Jordan. The ring has chosen you because you are fearless.
I don't remember him saying that. O.o And anyway, the whole turning point of Hal Jordan's character is him overcoming his fear. >.>

Hal Jordan: I have finally decided to help! (puts helicopter on elaborate, ostentatious giant Hot Wheels track instead of just stopping it)
Oh hey, you pointed out the same thing that Hal's friend did in the movie in the scene right after that. :urg:

Sinestro: Well, guess ****ing what? It was Parallax. Killed a bunch more Green Lanterns, too. Mind telling me what you know about Parallax now?
Guardians: (sighs) Okay. At one point we thought about fighting evil with the yellow emotion of fear in addition to the green emotion of willpower.
Sinestro: Willpower is not an emotion.
Guardians: Shut up. Anyways, turns out that the yellow power of fear was too powerful and uncontrollable and totally evil, and it even possessed one of the Guardians, who transformed into Parallax. So really, our messing with the yellow power of fear is what caused this entire problem in the first place.
Sinestro: I have an idea: Let's do that exact same thing. And maybe make a yellow power ring or something.
Guardians: That is the BEST. PLAN. EVER.
HAhaha. I raised an eyebrow at that myself. I wonder how the yellow ring came into being in the comics? *goes to ComicVine*

Oh, and my friend pointed out that apparently the Guardians themselves can't control the yellow power and Sinestro can because he's not one. Makes sense.

*back from ComicVine* Well that's a bit different. Apparently Sinestro just made the yellow ring himself after being banished for basically being an evil dictator.

Hector Hammond: Well, you made me evil, so I'm going to **** around with Hal Jordan and Blake Lively because of some tenuous connection in our past that the movie only alluded to like five minutes ago,
Ha. Yeah. That did happen.

Parallax: OKAY, COOL. HEY, HAL JORDAN WEARS THE RING OF THE DUDE WHO IMPRISONED ME, RIGHT? I THINK I'LL COME TO EARTH, EAT HIM AND ALL OF HUMANITY, AND THEN I'LL BE POWERFUL ENOUGH TO GO TO OA AND DEFEAT THE GUARDIANS AND ALL THE GREEN LANTERNS!
Hector Hammond: ...
Parallax: WHAT.
Hector Hammond: ...doesn't that mean you aren't powerful enough to defeat the Guardians and Green Lanterns right now?
Parallax: WELL, YES.
Hector Hammond: So... why were you going to Oa?
(pause)
Parallax: OH ****! I SEE WHAT YOU MEAN! I WAS ABOUT TO GET MY *** KICKED!
Hector Hammond: Yeah, you were!
Parallax: I'M SO GLAD I CALLED!
Did it really happen like that? I don't mean literally of course, though.

Hal Jordan: No, it's cool. Seriously. (tosses ring to Hector, Hector puts it on)
Hector Hammond: Holy ****! (uses ring to blast wall) Oh, the GL fans are going to lose their **** over this.
Hal Jordan: Ha ha! I lied! You have to be chosen to use the ring!
Hector Hammond: Dude. I just used it. You saw me. I clearly don't have to be chosen. (ring suddenly tases Hector for no discernable reason; Parallax breaks into the building)
Okay, yeah, THAT was really silly.

Parallax: GOD, THIS IS EMBARRASSING. IT'S THE GALACTIC EQUIVALENT OF NOT LOOKING BOTH WAYS BEFORE CROSSING THE STREET.
I got nothin'.

(roll credits)
Sinestro: I'm not putting on the Yellow Power Ring.
Hal Jordan: Oh yes you are.
Oh yeah, I heard about that. I didn't know they were doing some after the credits bull **** so I didn't stick around for it. I hate when they do that. It was only cool when you heard the slow, heavy breathing of Vader as the credits finished up for SW Episode 1. Best part of the whole movie, really.

Flayl

Smash Hero
my favorite part about Ike is his recovery
As long as we're throwing random tidbits about Ike and Bowser: Bowser, while unable to spike Ike, can bomb his recovery on reaction to Ike's yell.

edit: I think Hal discovering about Sinestro's tyranny over his sector and the resulting conflict would have made a much better film

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's funny, Zigsta has yet to successfully Bowser Bomb me while I'm recovering.

Zigsta sucks.

GL was only 75 minutes =/. For a 300 mil budget, I think they should have made it 15 mins longer to explain some things.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I don't remember him saying that. O.o And anyway, the whole turning point of Hal Jordan's character is him overcoming his fear. >.>

Oh hey, you pointed out the same thing that Hal's friend did in the movie in the scene right after that. :urg:

HAhaha. I raised an eyebrow at that myself. I wonder how the yellow ring came into being in the comics? *goes to ComicVine*

Oh, and my friend pointed out that apparently the Guardians themselves can't control the yellow power and Sinestro can because he's not one. Makes sense.

*back from ComicVine* Well that's a bit different. Apparently Sinestro just made the yellow ring himself after being banished for basically being an evil dictator.

Ha. Yeah. That did happen.

Did it really happen like that? I don't mean literally of course, though.

Okay, yeah, THAT was really silly.

I got nothin'.

Oh yeah, I heard about that. I didn't know they were doing some after the credits bull **** so I didn't stick around for it. I hate when they do that. It was only cool when you heard the slow, heavy breathing of Vader as the credits finished up for SW Episode 1. Best part of the whole movie, really.
I wish I could quote your quotes to make zig madder.

B!squick

Smash Master
Sinestro V Hal is probably what they're gonna do for the second movie. I do agree that probably would have made for a better film. I'd also like to point out that the guy playing Hector did an AMAZING job. In fact, that's probably why I liked this movie more than a lot of people and was able to over look its flaws. I thought everyone did a fantastic job with their roles. Hector especially as I said. There's a couple scenes where he screams and he doesn't sound like a guy playing a guy who's sceaming, he REALLY sounded like, holy ****, what the **** is going on inside me?!

Conversely, bring up First Class again, only Charles, Erik, and Kevin Bacon really stood out. Beast was generic scientist number 1, though Kelsey Grammer is alot to live up to. Mystique never stood out for me and I was confused why she sided with Erik at the end (I'd say spoilers, but being a prequel the movies that came before already did that, lol). The rest of the X-men they recruited were just sorta... there. Bacon's cronies were just sorta... there. Emma Frost's sole purpose was to get captured seemingly. She spent about half the film locked up and forgotten.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Anyone else remember this kick *** show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TjIkAYAZw

_Dice

Smash Ace
Sinestro V Hal is probably what they're gonna do for the second movie. I do agree that probably would have made for a better film. I'd also like to point out that the guy playing Hector did an AMAZING job. In fact, that's probably why I liked this movie more than a lot of people and was able to over look its flaws. I thought everyone did a fantastic job with their roles. Hector especially as I said. There's a couple scenes where he screams and he doesn't sound like a guy playing a guy who's sceaming, he REALLY sounded like, holy ****, what the **** is going on inside me?!

Conversely, bring up First Class again, only Charles, Erik, and Kevin Bacon really stood out. Beast was generic scientist number 1, though Kelsey Grammer is alot to live up to. Mystique never stood out for me and I was confused why she sided with Erik at the end (I'd say spoilers, but being a prequel the movies that came before already did that, lol). The rest of the X-men they recruited were just sorta... there. Bacon's cronies were just sorta... there. Emma Frost's sole purpose was to get captured seemingly. She spent about half the film locked up and forgotten.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Anyone else remember this kick *** show?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TjIkAYAZw
I hope you are kidding about the rest of the cast not standing out. hugh jackman was excellent in his role in the film as well. but really you just named all the characters that had more than 10 minutes of screen time. so. yeah sounds pretty good to me. NONE of the characters stood out in Green lantern, it was a mediocre movie in every sense.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think the first GL should have focused simply on Hammond, with Parallax looming over the horizon. The movie should have concluded with a hint of Sinistro becoming evil. 2nd movie would have been Sinistro vs GL. Third movie concludes that fight with Parallax showing up.

Far as First Class goes...X-Men movies always have the "other guys" mainly because it's really hard to focus in on every mutant. Though I did enjoy Nightcrawler's presence in X2. I did wish Darwin had more screen time in First Class.

And in terms of relations to the comic...Alex Summers is Scott's (Cyclops) brother...don't know wtf he was doing in the 50s as a teen. I'm guessing he was portrayed as Scott's dad in this movie.

And if anyone knows the X-Men plot, Nightcrawler is the son of Mystique and the red teleporting guy.

Tornado dude was worthless.

Emma Frost currently is a good guy in the comics and is in a relationship with Cyclops (so she's out of place as well in this movie).
I honestly thought she was gonna switch to the good guys halfway through the movie, replacing Mystique.

It did feel weird for Mystique to switch sides, especially after seeing Magneto be responsible for getting Charles paralyzed. However, I think she was in love with him by then, and she saw the worl differently compared to Charles. Still, doesn't make sense to go against the guy who has lived/raised you since childhood.

Wolverine was the best.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's funny, Zigsta has yet to successfully Bowser Bomb me while I'm recovering.

Zigsta sucks.

GL was only 75 minutes =/. For a 300 mil budget, I think they should have made it 15 mins longer to explain some things.
That's cuz you never come over to let me test it!

MrEh

Smash Hero
A Bowser player low on the TEXAS power rankings?

When you use Bowser, it's a fear to be on the Texas power rankings at all.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Power rankings are worthless, especially when there's no deterioration.
And I've brawled the broad side of a barn, Phiddle. It was hard, but got easier after the first one came down.

B!squick

Smash Master
Bought my $30 EDH Magic deck today. I gotta say, it was well worth the price and would be even at the more normal $40 price. Get some friends and one of these for each of you and you're in for fun times. :)

Top Bottom