• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Wozzy Woxy-Wombat Wread of Wishful Wicked Wonder

Splice

Smash Hero
We definitely weren't "taking it easy" because we thought we had more time.
We were running behind and frantically trying to catch up.
In that case was the problem assessed?
* Project M bracket didn't move fast enough because many top 16 matches were streamed
* Did Project M top 4 start at 1pm?
* Did Smash 4 top 4 start at 3pm?
* Did Melee top 8 start at 5pm?

Anyone know the point where we fell behind? I think it was the first part, we took too long moving the singles/doubles bracket up to top 4 for PM and so that didn't start on time.
Good to check up on where we went wrong, since if the schedule did not turn out how it was meant to, then either a firmer grasp on how things run needs to be developed when making the schedule OR we just didn't make good decisions on the day.

Either way, regardless of SS6, I do agree with your overall point.
For a tournament like BAM, running PM+Smash4+Melee is already going to be hell, not to mention a 64 tournament is happening (which you should enter, everyone!). Getting the 3 main games on stream will be quite difficult. We're not in a great position to add Brawl back to our major-tournament roster. There's nothing stopping people from holding Brawl/Pikmin 2 tournaments outside of big events, and there is little value in devoting our resources to these things. Hopefully PM can stay at events past BAM, we could just forego streaming it so that does not interfere too much with schedule?

@ PrettyCoolGuy PrettyCoolGuy Actually that activity is also available through CounterStrike now PCG

Last edited:

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
We identified PM running behind at 11:30 but thought it would be okay. We then realised it was waaaay behind at 1:30. At this point we had already started s4 (12:30), so when we tried to make matches happen faster, they couldn't because some people where playing s4. Or we couldn't get singles out of the way because they were playing PM doubles. Eventually it got to a stage that PM matches could only be played one at a time, so we decided to stream it.

We did not want to stream all of what we did, the tournament was just slow and we had to have something to stream while it lagged.

We finished PM at roughly 4:30, 90 minutes behind schedule.

S4 came in around 2:30 hours considering set up time. Just off per schedule.

Melee came in at approx 3 hours until we got kicked out. Would have been per schedule.

There is a lot of behind the scene stuff going on atm. Amongst other things, MM might not be the only stream at BAM.

Last edited:

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I agree with Billy, I think the main cause for the overtime is that too many PM matches were requested to be streamed rather than played on other setups; the majority of the top 16 was all on stream.

Last edited:

joeyjoeyjoejoe

Smash Apprentice
We did not request all of top 16...

IDK why you would take Billy's opinion of what happened over me lol

Last edited:

S.D

Smash Master
It may have seemed like a majority of PM top 16 was on stream because that was the bracket that ran first, hence it was on the main setup, and games were running on it leading into top 8/4.
If you guys really want to know why things ran behind it was because BARELY ANYONE turned up on time.
Solution? We could have DQ'd everyone. Would that be preferable?

Seriously, most tournament attendees roll to the beat of their own drum.
If our TOs were as hard-assed as we could be then there would be a LOT of salty people, DQs, drama and anger.
We try to ensure everyone gets a good experience, but at some point people need to take responsibility for themselves.
It's much easier to show up and throw stones than actually make things happen.

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
It may have seemed like a majority of PM top 16 was on stream because that was the bracket that ran first, hence it was on the main setup, and games were running on it leading into top 8/4.
If you guys really want to know why things ran behind it was because BARELY ANYONE turned up on time.
Solution? We could have DQ'd everyone. Would that be preferable?

Seriously, most tournament attendees roll to the beat of their own drum.
If our TOs were as hard-***** as we could be then there would be a LOT of salty people, DQs, drama and anger.
We try to ensure everyone gets a good experience, but at some point people need to take responsibility for themselves.
It's much easier to show up and throw stones than actually make things happen.
Pm started first so we ran with it, and yes SD is right, if we did the 15 minute ban rule? all but 3-4 of the top 16 would be dq'd. We started top 16 late because at least half the bracket was. We ran top 16 because it was the first on schedule. Next time we run on time and with no one waiting to play on stream. we only needed to save 20 minutes from our abysmal schedule to actually end the event. We have a clear idea of what to do now, and we are discussing it...and right now? we have a good outlook for BAM.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Biggest ****up of the whole event was running out of batteries for the Mic.

Played sets that didn't need to happen because we DQ'd Perth even though they were already in the venue then UNDID the DQ and re-did sets?

Bet that wasted some time.

Some people take an interest in the larger FGC as well as smash and that's gonna happen more with Smash4 being quite accessible btw. Because of this, I believe it should be made easier for people who are still in the venue to be able to show up for matches. And the Mic does this quite well, but when the Mic stops working there isn't really a fair solution. You need to get someone that's gonna recognise the players in a crowd to go around the FGC area or something, it's a big venue and a Mic is always needed on hand.

Last edited:

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
People who aren't aware of what's going on when they're scheduled to be playing are ****ed - if you're still in the bracket you should be playing unless you just lost in winners. Also, people showing up late is **** tier and we need to promote a culture of punctuality so that our tournaments get to run and people who are on time aren't the ones that are punished.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
I can already tell you that there's gonna be 2 huge things super duper re-enforced for BAM7 through all social media during the weeks leading up:

1: bring setups
2: show up on time and pay attention or you're gonna get DQ'd

If you're late/not paying attention and you don't hold up the tournament somehow that's gonna be fine, but that's left to TO discretion. Otherwise if you don't wanna be DQ'd then you better be ontop of everything.

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
Regarding keeping people informed of their matches, I've been looking at Challong Match Display: http://smashboards.com/threads/chal...cation-helping-tournaments-run-faster.358186/

It feeds off Challonge to show matches that need to be played. It also shows how long that match has been waiting to be played, and you can report when people are missing. Might be a good way to see who the serial offenders are.

If you want to get into real nitty-gritty of it, you can allocate matches to particular setups (might only be useful for bracket, pools would be a nightmare). I think it would be useful and I'd gladly help set it up and maintain it since I don't make it out of pools anyway.

I know I haven't been in the scene long but it seems like a lot of people show up late just because they know they won't get DQed. I know some people come from a long way away to arrive early that might make it hard but a lot of people also bust their ass to show up on time.

I suppose the key thing is just knowing where people are and how long they'll be gone, and that people know to talk to TO's before leaving the venue to see if they have any upcoming matches. It would have really sucked for interstate players to get DQed just because they went for dinner, but it's everyone's responsibility to report to TO's. The TO's are running things guys, they need to know where people are. It's almost at a point where someone is allocated to help lost people find out where they're supposed to be.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Hi everyone,

Just checking in from Toowoomba, QLD. Used to play a little bit of Brawl but petered out after a while. Just picked up Smash 4 and having a bit of fun with it so far. Especially loving the little changes Sonic got along the way.

Anyway I recognise some usernames from when I frequented here so if anyone would like a match of a night time, let me know!

Salmon

Smash Cadet
NNID
SeasonedSalmon
I want to get a new one since mine is kind of fizzing out. They are like 31 bucks on US Amazon but they can't ship here and if find any Australian online stores the are 60-70 dollars! Do I just have to accept the price here or is there somewhere else to get them from? I guess the prices here are being fair considering our dollar is at like 3/4 of the US dollar though.

Last edited:

Wizzow

Smash Cadet
You can look at ebay or gumtree near your area, or buy one of the new controllers from a store for $50 (if they have them in stock)

Last edited:

1ampercent

Smash Journeyman
If you wanna buy online, go Nippon Yasan, it costs around $20+$15 for shipping. It's those smash logo ones brand new.

_Iggy_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ignis_Sphaera
All of the above are fantastic options. You'll be hard pressed to find a cheap official controller in retailers at the moment, the resurgence of Smash brothers and the recent popularity have made them a hot commodity, so expect prices to be quite high for a while.

A route you can look at going in the near future would be pre owned controllers. You'll be able to save yourself some money, and with some luck; find a controller that hasn't really been used too much.

Basty

Smash Ace
17th of May 2015
On the day of leffen's first travel to Australia he signs up for a small game called Smash 4, he pays the fee and get's prepared to catch his plane. He get's a message from Lord Redact asking if he's on his plane yet. Leffen replies with a firm no. After checking his tickets he finds out he has to sit next to Armada on the plane. While waiting at the airport he get's a new message from Redact. "私はアジズです". Odd, Leffen thinks to himself, but being the man that he is, he get's on his plane while drinking Chillin's tears. Leffen and Armada sit next to each other on the plane and discuss real life things like cooking or something, maybe even what hair product's Leffen uses, sounds like something they'd talk about. Eventually the flight attendant goes over to them, he is japanese. "Hello-aru I-aru am-aru your-aru flight-aru attendant-aru" he says to them. "Did-aru you-aru know-aru you-aru can-aru play-aru super-aru smash-aru bros-aru melee-aru on-aru this-aru plane-aru?" Leffen and Armada look at eachother and immediately starts practicing melee tech skill and even have multishine contests.

18th of May 2015
After arriving in Australia, he finally meets Redact and starts talking melee. Redact tries avoiding what the thing he said on whatever message service they use was. The first thing that Leffen does is go to the hair product stores, and he hates every hair product available at the time "Man aus sucks as much as chillin lmfao" leffen mumbles to himself. Leffen goes around to smasher's houses and plays melee with them. Everyone falls to him, while Leffen laughs at them while looking them in the eyes. The main loser was a man by the name of Dekar, who couldn't even hit him. "I listened to Isai, don't get hit" he say's

23rd of May 2015
After skipping Project Melbourne, Leffen get's ready for BAM7 pools, his pool consists of himself, SA Nick, Jamwa and some scrub called Dekar. After a few minutes, he realizes he has to play smash 4 as well, consisting of 8 players named Dekar. He expects to breeze through his melee pool, but goes out of the tournament for losing to every player in his pool, he get's called a fraud from the whole community. He has to focus on smash 4 pools to get money, so he wins his pool really well.

24th of May 2015
After a day of breezing through smash 4 pools, he starts to breeze through smash 4 bracket, "How do i beat Leffen" says multiple tweets. When he get's too top 8 he manages to get all the way to winner's finals, he beats Nikes, a yoshi main from a small state called South Australia. Leffen has done it, he's beaten Melborn, Sydaney and South Austria. He has a nap waiting for Grand Finals, he finds out he has to play a player called MaskedWarrior. It's an intense set, and MaskedWarrior takes the first one, but on the final game, on battlefield, the smash 4 meta game completely changes, an it becomes the hypest match in smash 4 history. Everyone chants for MaskedWarrior to take off his mask. He takes it off and looks Leffen in the eyes

"i am aziz"

Last edited:

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
ROFL
Aziz doesn't play Falcon.
He never did.
Go back to fapping over Isai vids you low tier scum
I'll have you know that I am one of aziz's unofficial disciples. Training in the art of aziz falconism.

One day your sinful ways will be forgiven. In the form of a clean 3-0.

S.D

Smash Master
Well I'll have you know "I am Aziz"

So you are unofficially my disciple and I banish thee.

Aziz would never accept a Falcon main into his kingdom.

Falcon is the false prophet and source of all misfortune.

You will learn this, in time, my child.

Aussierob123

Smash Champion
Scar, chapter 2, vs 48-53.

"And lord Isaiah said, let there be 4 stocks that are required to be lost in order to fall from thy throne. And there shall be a loyal member of the falconian order that shall fell the unholy fox in every land. My son, hax$, will bring wisdom and power to those who are worthy. And it shall be entertaining. And Sam sux."

Top Bottom