• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would Wario Ware be legal if you didn't get winning prizes?

K 2

Smash Lord
Maybe, but then Wario Ware wouldn't be Wario Ware if there weren't prizes.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I don't know. I get the satisfaction of saying I stayed dry, or stood still.
But the stage also punishes you for not playing the game, so you could say that your reward is not taking damage from stage effects.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Even if you get rid of the prizes, there's still some random hazards that need to be dealt with more than your opponent.

The stage would be borderline counter/ban should prizes be removed.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
I would ban it from my tournies simply for the fact DDD doesn't need another stage where he can chaingrab someone to their death...

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Wario Ware would be legal (or at least would deserve to be) even if there were prizes, as long as there was no randomness to the reward. At least that's what I think, and I'm no expert on the stage (only play legal stages).

illinialex24

Smash Hero
No, because of the foot. There are some things on the stage that make it more like Port Town than Norfair, because on Norfair, if you go to the center your pretty much safe when it flips.

Foshy

Smash Apprentice
^ that's Frigate Orpheon, Norfair is the lava stage

On Topic: The foot and the minigame where stuff with wheels runs you over would be the only problem, you can easily deal with the rest.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
If the Stage only stayed at Neutral form, then yeah, but it would just be another battlefield =/

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
If the Stage only stayed at Neutral form, then yeah, but it would just be another battlefield =/
1. You can't go under the stage to the other side.
2. The platform layout is different from BF.
3. It's way easier to walljump/cling on WW.

Wario Ware in it's default, non-microgame form has plenty of differences from Battlefield. It would probably be so much better if you had an option to have the microgames and prizes on or off.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
What is the problem with the foot ôô ?

Because of Snake/DDD/Ike/DK/Bowser can easy kill an oppenent then ?

Or what o_o ?

Ange

Smash Lord
I dont get it either with the foot. o_ o
To me, the problem lies in the "Dodge!" section, where the racing car randomly stops or does an instant race thru the stage. Noone can predict what it will do, so that mini-game would probably ruin Wario Wares chances of being legal.
I also think that the prizes actually gives an unfair advantage to the player who actually "participated" in the micro-games, cause they can either get their damage healed, star effect or super mushroom'd. Far as I remember, the "losing" person gets nothing, while the "winning" actually gets /something/. This equals of being unfair, cause both players wont succeed on every micro-game everytime.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I also think that the prizes actually gives an unfair advantage to the player who actually "participated" in the micro-games, cause they can either get their damage healed, star effect or super mushroom'd. Far as I remember, the "losing" person gets nothing, while the "winning" actually gets /something/. This equals of being unfair, cause both players wont succeed on every micro-game everytime.
Well, at the same time, that could be the counterpicking player's reasoning; if they've practiced on WarioWare, they could complete the microgames better than their opponents, and it's not his/her fault that the opponent wasn't skilled enough to clear the microgame.

At the same time, the bonuses are a bit much. The worst combination is when both players clear the microgame, and one gets a Super Mushroom while the other gets a Star, which turns the Mushroom'd character into a literal punching bag. Some bad.

If the stage stayed in its neutral form, it'd probably be a neutral stage, I think. Counterpick with the microgames but no bonuses.

(Then again, I'm biased, as WarioWare is probably my favorite game series; I have a really short attention span. :laugh:)

Ange

Smash Lord
Well, at the same time, that could be the counterpicking player's reasoning; if they've practiced on WarioWare, they could complete the microgames better than their opponents, and it's not his/her fault that the opponent wasn't skilled enough to clear the microgame.

At the same time, the bonuses are a bit much. The worst combination is when both players clear the microgame, and one gets a Super Mushroom while the other gets a Star, which turns the Mushroom'd character into a literal punching bag. Some bad.

If the stage stayed in its neutral form, it'd probably be a neutral stage, I think. Counterpick with the microgames but no bonuses.

(Then again, I'm biased, as WarioWare is probably my favorite game series; I have a really short attention span. :laugh:)
Hmm you have a point there. O: I guess Waro Ware would be good for counterpicking then, but still I think the Dodge section is a LITTLE too dangerous for relative serious play (aswell with the unfair prize possibilities).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
interesting question, never thought of that...

i would say it would be very similar to halberd in that case, halberd has the claw and the laser, while WW has the foot, the arrows, and the mountain hammer which has the pitfall effect across the entire field. they are all really easy to see ahead of time, so i would see no reason to not have it as a counter pick.
people are thinking that it would be good for d3 cus lots of the trans formations give him walk off CGs, but i think the opposite, in that the neutral stage is very small, making his CGs much less effective.

it would be similar to putting halberd and combining it with castle siege, but i think it would just make the CP legal list without prises.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
It's simply banned because the prizes are ********.

If player A and B beat a minigame, yet player A gets a star and player B a mushroom, how is that fair? It's easy pickings for player A.

No, for it to be legal it would need:
No prizes
No foot
Less hazards.

And even then it would be a counterpick at best.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
lol I doubt it. Some of the microgames cause distraction and undeserved damage. That raining one, especially.

The main part of the stage is pretty nice though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yes it does.

Also the foot is not hard to dodge, almost all of the minigame hazards can be seen coming.

Learn2fun.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Isn't there a USB Gecko code/hack that keeps Wario Ware on the normal transformation?
I think a tournament video I saw was using that code. Wario Ware was neutral in that tournament.
Yes, the code in question affects the "speed" of the stage. If set to 0, the stage will always remain in its initial state. However, this code also has effects on stages like Halberd, Big Blue, and probably Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 and Pictochat and so forth. If there's a way to isolate the code to just Wario Ware, I see no reason in it not being a neutral stage.

Flamingo

Smash Lord
Yes, the code in question affects the "speed" of the stage. If set to 0, the stage will always remain in its initial state. However, this code also has effects on stages like Halberd, Big Blue, and probably Pokémon Stadium 1 and 2 and Pictochat and so forth. If there's a way to isolate the code to just Wario Ware, I see no reason in it not being a neutral stage.
Or you can make a 4-plat custom with the bottom filled. An exact replica w/o the annoying colors haha.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
A replica in custom stage builder would be impossible. You can't have bottom-filled areas, and even walkoffs are impossible.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
WarioWare would be CP if there were no prizes. There are walk-off, but they don't last as long as Delfino Plaza, and the enviornmental hazards all have clear warnings and don't kill under 80%.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I don't see a reason why it would be if it didn't have prizes it's basically like pictochat

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
It would also be impossible to make the platforms the same distance from the ground. I tried making a CS version of WW, but the platforms were either too high or too low.

AlKrauser

Smash Cadet
honestly for the foot, its called the shield. Same goes to the car.

What I find annoying about WarioWare (in the few times Ive played it) is not the minigames, since you can avoid the star and when someone turns big they actually become easier to chaingrab, its that if you are below the stage when the stage goes into a microgame, you are stuck under it and will die.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The microgames are all pretty safe; the stage would be arguably starter worthy even with them as long as there were no rewards or some fair reward (like always 10% healing for winning). Of course, there are rewards that are ridiculously random and completely broken...

UncleSam

Smash Master
not like it really matters to me much anyways, if I do complete the minigame I don't get anything from it... and it's not like the obstacles are hard to dodge, and if the don't move minigame comes up its the perfect chance to score a kill.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
There does exist a few codes now, made by yours truly. Though all of them is PAL, I will see if I can port them to NTSC sometime this week.

The most useful would be
MicroGames Never Appear [Duker]
05541D58 00000001

It only affects WarioWare and doesn't cause any freeze from my testing.

And if you still want a specific microgame it can be arranged:

Lock WarioWare to 1 Microgame [Duker]
05542134 0000000X
0554215C 00000000

Where X is 0-4 or 6-9 (5 is unused)
0=Dodge!
1=Watch out!
2=Sidestep!
3=Stay Dry!
4=Jump!
6=Pop!
7=Chisel!