• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wings and Brew VI: Name TBA - Columbus, OH - FIRST POST UPDATED WITH NEW RULES!

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
There's not enough room in my car to pick up someone else since I have to give Dlaw a ride back to his place afterward. Sorry Scribz. If you can find a way to make it you should. I want to play your MK again.

Also, I'll random MM people.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I'll do random MMs.
MMs vs my MK/PT/TL if you really want.
All 2/3 tourny rules, bla bla bla.

Tyr, I'm kinda excited to do PT vs Lucas...

don't **** me too hard.... : p

Hence

Smash Ace
I'll do random MMs.

Alright, I'm requesting a MM vs. your TL or MK 'cause I have no clue what to do in the PT matchup.
Additionally, high blood sugar johns that made me not think clearly in our wifi friendlies. LOL
But seriously. :(

lou4222

Smash Lord
I'll do random MMs.

Its a trick....... Qs PT is nasty. It took GW a minute to get used to that nuisance squirttle. :chuckle:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Okay, so I'm going for sure, but it turns out I'm not bringing a TV after all. The one I recieved, which I planned on bringing, has pretty much no sound and a yellowish tint.

Infern, any chance I can get another $1 MM against you? (I'll win this time... I'll do it!)
Also, possibly a few friendlies on the ship (I want to learn to fight you there. It didn't seem completely hopeless last time we went there.). I say friendlies because this time it WILL be banned in the MM! :laugh:

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
Okay, so I'm going for sure, but it turns out I'm not bringing a TV after all. The one I recieved, which I planned on bringing, has pretty much no sound and a yellowish tint.

Infern, any chance I can get another $1 MM against you? (I'll win this time... I'll do it!)
Also, possibly a few friendlies on the ship (I want to learn to fight you there. It didn't seem completely hopeless last time we went there.). I say friendlies because this time it WILL be banned in the MM! :laugh:
MM sounds good, and yeah we can do a few friendlies

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I may be going to this instead of Missouri due to time constraints, but am unsure at this point.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I may be going to this instead of Missouri due to time constraints, but am unsure at this point.
I don't know where you live anymore, but would you be able to stop and grab DJ_Iskascribble in Dayton on your way there if he were to pay for gas?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Lucas vs. any other low tier is always fun. Unless it's Ness. I hate fighting Ness.

PT is an awesome character. I wish I could use him.

I'm only worried about squirtle...

lou4222

Smash Lord
The best chance Skribble has of coming is to somehow hitch a ride to Springfield and ask Cake or Champ for a ride since they will be coming together. Dayton is completely out of the way of Cincy. But if maybe Fizzle or someone like that drove him and themselves to Springfield they could go to Columbus and split gas monies.

PS: Game and Watchs turtle is a superior breed to Squirtle. Mine is like a hyper, deadly poisonous breed while PT just spits water. And Charzard, well yea GW is the king dragon slayer

I just saw your request for 2$ mm. Its on. Or you could just go PT when we meet in tourney :)

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I'll take you up on that MM, Hence... Despite the fact that I don't really like dittos, I won't back down from a challenge...unless I can't play for some reason...

Edit: Anyone else want some MMs? I got like 15 $1 bills when I took 2nd at King Yoshi's... :p

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
i'll Take You Up On That Mm, Hence... Despite The Fact That I Don't Really Like Dittos, I Won't Back Down From A Challenge...unless I Can't Play For Some Reason...

Edit: Anyone Else Want Some Mms? I Got Like 15 $1 Bills When I Took 2nd At King Yoshi's... :p
2$ Mm?????

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I'll take ya up on that, Infern... Come to think of it, I believe I've only played one of the God Kais before...

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'll be updating the list sometime today/early tomorrow.

Also, please note the per game edge grab limit is now 45.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
whoa, wtf? Edge grab limit?

AND if the time runs out it doesn't matter how many stokcs you have?

hahaha

If I go to this, I'm going to use weak moves to make my opponent grab the edge a ton, then run the timer out by gliding all around. Matches will take 8 minutes and I will win with 1 stock to their 3.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
1. If one player has over 45 edge grabs (edge grabs are recorded automatically in post-game statistics) that player loses by DQ. If both players have more than 45 edge grabs then go to number 2.
2. If 1 has not occurred then the player with the highest stock wins. If stocks are tied then the player with the lowest percentage wins. If both stock and percent are tied then go to number 3.
3. Play a 1 stock overtime game that will be played on the same stage with the same characters with a 2 minute time limit. 15 edge grab limit.
Yea

OS, try to do that, thats sorta the point of testing things.

Keep in mind your opponents know of the rule, so they should be attempting to thwart such an obvious strategy.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yea

OS, try to do that, thats sorta the point of testing things.

Keep in mind your opponents know of the rule, so they should be attempting to thwart such an obvious strategy.
I dunno, I may just skip this weekend for tournaments altogether on principle.

A "test" would be "write down all the times you grab the edge" and then see how many matches time out and see who would have won/lost to see if the rule was worth using. This is more of a kick in the face to anyone that happens to grab the edge more than whatever arbitrary number you use. I routinely grab the edge up to 70 times a match with ROB. ROB doesn't have a good return from the ledge and generally has to land on the stage, but he is so floaty and has such a huge blindspot that is impossible. This means he has to jump and shoot lasers / gyros to weaken your shield until you approach or can be shield poked by a nair / fair, otherwise it is suicide. If the poor soul mains Marth all he CAN do is grab the ledge. This rule is an auto-loss for Marth, and makes him unplayable. He auto-grabs the edge, or he dies. If you hit him off the stage, he has to do it again. If he up+bs to land on the stage, he gets a fully charged smash... and it hapens again. Snake is boosted from this for sure, but Marth? Totally kicked in the gnads.

I dunno, I haven't decided if I'm not attending yet or not, but I definitely don't approve of it.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Meh. It hasn't happened yet. We ran with 60 last time and no one came close to the limit. You will probably be the only player who will grab over this limit (either to test the rule or by natural playing), so shrugzzz. Its there, thats just how it goes, if you read the explanation in the OP I note everything you brought up. Some people may have to amend their playstyle around the rule.

lou4222

Smash Lord
I love how concerned people get with the ledge rule. I know AZ has gone over it in the opening post, but im just curious if people really check the edge grabs after a match. There are games when I flat out plank during a match, and my totals never top 20. Its really not that big of a deal. The only way to do it to blatantly stall.

PS I cant wait for this tourney

nicalobe

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, I may just skip this weekend for tournaments altogether on principle.

A "test" would be "write down all the times you grab the edge" and then see how many matches time out and see who would have won/lost to see if the rule was worth using. This is more of a kick in the face to anyone that happens to grab the edge more than whatever arbitrary number you use. I routinely grab the edge up to 70 times a match with ROB. ROB doesn't have a good return from the ledge and generally has to land on the stage, but he is so floaty and has such a huge blindspot that is impossible. This means he has to jump and shoot lasers / gyros to weaken your shield until you approach or can be shield poked by a nair / fair, otherwise it is suicide. If the poor soul mains Marth all he CAN do is grab the ledge. This rule is an auto-loss for Marth, and makes him unplayable. He auto-grabs the edge, or he dies. If you hit him off the stage, he has to do it again. If he up+bs to land on the stage, he gets a fully charged smash... and it hapens again. Snake is boosted from this for sure, but Marth? Totally kicked in the gnads.

I dunno, I haven't decided if I'm not attending yet or not, but I definitely don't approve of it.

70 times a match?!?!

Let's assume that each ledge grab takes 3 seconds to initiate. That equals 210 seconds, or 3 and a half minutes. Approximately 30 of those ledge grabs are actually needed. You are wasting 2 minutes of a match doing **** isn't necessary, but ultimately causes the game to continue in a long and boring fashion. Even as Yoshi with my edge-cancelled eggs I usually average about 33-36 ledge grabs a game, I don't see how other characters can reasonbly stray too far from that number.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I'm kind of on OS's side with regards to the ledge grab rule. I've been somewhat concerned about it since its inception. With numbers going as low as 45 I'd be almost guaranteed to hit it at least once in most sets, probably more (I grab the ledge more often than I dsmash with ROB :laugh:). Granted, I normally don't take games to time so it might not even be an issue, and I recognize that the real goal of the ledge grab rule is to discourage planking (which I abhor, as I do Meta-Knight himself) but I still can't find it in myself to support this rule.

That said, I'm not even coming to this event and may or may not come to the next one, but I felt like getting my opinion out there as this event may shape the rules of future midwest events.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
So if im trying to get back on the stage and playing a falco who is doing nothing but spamming laser all the way from across the stage, someone needs to keep count at the amount of lasers he fires, 40 lasers then he is disqualified! This I demand!!!!

Top Bottom