• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will we have Smash Ball activated as an item in the pro/competitive scene?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
at FC:D I beat Linguini (Tipman Jr.) in pools and touched PC's hair GG NO RE.
Let's see, you've beaten nobodies I've never heard of. I've beaten KoreanDJ, Doll and DarknessofHeart, among other people (all friendlies). Would you even be able to take 2 stocks off of them in friendlies?

LOLZ I misread thought that said Missouri. Iori sucks??? Doesn't ring a bell. When did it happen? Of course you haven't heard of Brightside. It's the same reason I've never heard of you.
Because you're both nobodies (no offense to that other guy who seems intelligent) who haven't ever placed very high in any tournaments that matter (no, random tournaments 32 or less people enter out of which very few or possible even none are high profile players do not count)?

I mean, who here has heard of Brightside, the guy who's apparently so good at Melee, he's qualified to judge Brawl and Final Smashes without ever playing the game or even watch the Final Smashes in use in videos?

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Let's see, you've beaten nobodies I've never heard of. I've beaten KoreanDJ, Doll and DarknessofHeart, among other people (all friendlies). Would you even be able to take 2 stocks off of them in friendlies?
That still doesn't change the fact that I have touched PC's hair and you haven't. Thats all the evidence I need. Also I have slept next to Ckit have you? Didnt think so

Ohhh man thats fairly recent. The weathers to crappy to be wandering around to the buttcrack of IL for a random tourney :/. I can only wonder why you came so far up just for that o.O???

MrTwoVideoCards

Smash Rookie
Rather than typing a hella long paragraph, all above is right, and a few are wrong, no matter the Final smash, it should just be turned off, I mean we didn't use items, so why use Final Smash's? Aside that, it would be awesome, but unfair.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
That still doesn't change the fact that I have touched PC's hair and you haven't. Thats all the evidence I need. Also I have slept next to Ckit have you? Didnt think so
You know what I've done to PC Chris? We've hugged. We've talked about dildos, hung out and played friendlies (in fact, I'm fairly sure I came close to beating his Falco in a friendly). I don't remember, I might even have kissed him on the cheek.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
You know what I've done to PC Chris? We've hugged. We've talked about dildos, hung out and played friendlies (in fact, I'm fairly sure I came close to beating his Falco in a friendly). I don't remember, I might even have kissed him on the cheek.
Then I admit defeat congratz. I have had many of dream of having hugs and buttsecks with PC but the thought of someone else doing it before me crushes those fantasies.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
i'm assuming they'll turn them off the smash ball is an item that and because of the differences of the final smashes some being very efftive some not so much so with final smashes on some characters have got a better advantage of winning so i'd say they'll be turned off.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
woa, a little far there. Also, I wouldn't use friendly matches as a "how I am skilled" drop. I wouldn't even do pool matches (though I would tell all my friends lol).

But I guess it is all good anyway.
It's better than "I can beat my friends and unknown Smashers no one has ever heard about". At least beating KoreanDJ in a friendly is more cred than beating "My Brother" or something like that. I've got a pretty shoddy memory when it comes to tournament results. I can never remember who I lose to or win over in the actualy tournaments.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
It's better than "I can beat my friends and unknown Smashers no one has ever heard about". At least beating KoreanDJ in a friendly is more cred than beating "My Brother" or something like that. I've got a pretty shoddy memory when it comes to tournament results. I can never remember who I lose to or win over in the actualy tournaments.
http://tia.nealpro.com/event.aspx?id=833

Look at that Yuna, I placed 17th at Pound 3. Don't ignore me this time.

Therefor I can make claims like, "Wavedashing is gay," and, "Yuna likes boys," and not be able to be counter argued against because I'm better than you.

Yo face.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://tia.nealpro.com/event.aspx?id=833

Look at that Yuna, I placed 17th at Pound 3. Don't ignore me this time.

Therefor I can make claims like, "Wavedashing is gay," and, "Yuna likes boys," and not be able to be counter argued against because I'm better than you.

Yo face.
I thought we were on the same side? ;) I haven't replied to a single one of your posts because IIRC, they were all arguing on "my" side (quite eloquently).

Also, yes, I do like boys. You must be psychic.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I have learned something today. . . . . . . who am I kidding? This is the Brawl boards like I could actually get anything positive from this.

I am going back to my own little smashfests (like Memphis people actually have tournies anymore haha no way) if that even happens. Weeeee.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can assert that Yuna likes boys because he was all over Oro at FC6.
Also the rabbit ear'd tiara.
And the whole "playing Peach" bit.
1) We were dating
2) I lost it ;__;
3) You've got it backwards. All Peach players aren't gay/bi. But most gay/bi Smashers play as Peach (it's a well-known fact).

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
I thought we were on the same side? ;) I haven't replied to a single one of your posts because IIRC, they were all arguing on "my" side (quite eloquently).

Also, yes, I do like boys. You must be psychic.
My point is that your argument against Brightside is flawed, whereas your other arguments are not.

I don't hop on someone's **** just because I agree with them on some things. I'm not going to back up a flawed assessment of someone's knowledge based off of placement.

For example, Chu Dat is really good, but probably isn't a very knowledgeable source of information about Melee.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
My point is that your argument against Brightside is flawed, whereas your other arguments are not.

I don't hop on someone's **** just because I agree with them on some things. I'm not going to back up a flawed assessment of someone's knowledge based off of placement.

For example, Chu Dat is really good, but probably isn't a very knowledgeable source of information about Melee.
Im confuzzled about THAT part... wat???

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer

Oh, you mean that. We sidetracked into that when I said "I'm arguing a hypothetical battle between two competitive players here. Not you and your brother" in reference to tournaments that would basically devolve into everyone playing Marth and spamming his FS and how good people wouldn't randomly spam the FS in ways that made them whiff often or killed them (Marth).

Then he claimed I was a nobody who probably sucked at Melee, so I questioned his credentials. I was in no way claiming that being good at a game = Automatically knowing a lot about how it works.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Oh, you mean that. We sidetracked into that when I said "I'm arguing a hypothetical battle between two competitive players here. Not you and your brother" in reference to tournaments that would basically devolve into everyone playing Marth and spamming his FS and how good people wouldn't randomly spam the FS in ways that made them whiff often or killed them (Marth).

Then he claimed I was a nobody who probably sucked at Melee, so I questioned his credentials. I was in no way claiming that being good at a game = Automatically knowing a lot about how it works.
lolz u started the hostilities first. I was actually trying to have a decent argument but then you go all pissy on me so I just throw the topic aside and just start spamming.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
What about people who play as Samus or Zelda?
According to the Yuna Principle of Gay Smash Relativity (YPGSR), the majority of gay/bi Smashers main as Peach. Some of them also use Zelda as a secondary. A select few have it the other way around (maining Zelda with Peach as a secondary).

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
What about people who play as Samus or Zelda?
Samus players not so much. The only one I can think of is Oro, and that was mostly Yuna's fault XD. The main thing I've noticed many of us have in common is various substance use/abuse.

And Zelda players are actually a myth.

MetalMetaKnight

Smash Journeyman
I think the Smash Ball could be a competitive item for the following facts:

1. To get the smash ball, you have to hit it to get it
2. It moves around, so chasing to get it first makes it a competition
3. Some Final Smashes are balanced in a way that if you dont aline someone perfectly, you cant do the FS. For example, Marth's critical hit FS, If you dont have anyone on the ground your on, you will fail to do the FS. Other example, Captain Falcon, you have to have the person infront of you to hit them, so dodging the FS is fairly easy.

I dont know but i think it has its balances to make them playable in Tourneys and such.

~MMK

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
3. Some Final Smashes are balanced in a way that if you dont aline someone perfectly, you cant do the FS. For example, Marth's critical hit FS, If you dont have anyone on the ground your on, you will fail to do the FS. Other example, Captain Falcon, you have to have the person infront of you to hit them, so dodging the FS is fairly easy.
That word alone can make it unfair, I guess.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Only straight people play Samus. She's probably the manliest character of the lot.

Gay/Bi play Peach

Girls play Zelda

Furries play Sonic/Fox/Wolf/Lucario

Asexuals play Ness/Lucas/Toon Link/Kirby

Asexual furries play Diddy/Fox/Falco/Lucario/Wolf/DK/Pikachu

Pimps play Falcon/Dedede/Peach

Asexual pimps play Dedede/Peach

Sado-masochists play Snake

Did I miss anyone?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think the Smash Ball could be a competitive item for the following facts:

1. To get the smash ball, you have to hit it to get it
2. It moves around, so chasing to get it first makes it a competition
1) This makes it balanced and tournament legal because?
2) Yeah, only some people can get it really easily while others cannot. Unbalanced already here. Also, what happens when one part is off recovering or dying and respawning when the Smash Ball spawns? Hello, luck just tipped the scales greatly! Not only did Marth just KO me, he got another free KO move waiting without me being able to do anything.
3) Yes, how horrible that with all of the FS:es in the game, you have to actually physically hit your opponent to 1 Hit KO-them. It requires that horrible and elusive thing called skill! Certain FS:es suck, yeah. But certain FS:es are just too good.

The game would devolve into everyone playing whoever has the best FS and running around camping for it.

Xengri

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the last few pages of this thread turned into total off topic **** storm.

Hell, at lest I learned something, always thought of Yuna was a girl...

All jokes aside though, hasn't all the pro final smash arguments been beaten already?
Who honestly, after seeing all the smashes now, has a good reason to want them in tournaments.

Besides the opinion that they'd make tournament matches look more exciting, there's no good reason to have smash balls on in competitive play.

MetalMetaKnight

Smash Journeyman
1) This makes it balanced and tournament legal because?
2) Yeah, only some people can get it really easily while others cannot. Unbalanced already here. Also, what happens when one part is off recovering or dying and respawning when the Smash Ball spawns? Hello, luck just tipped the scales greatly! Not only did Marth just KO me, he got another free KO move waiting without me being able to do anything.
3) Yes, how horrible that with all of the FS:es in the game, you have to actually physically hit your opponent to 1 Hit KO-them. It requires that horrible and elusive thing called skill! Certain FS:es suck, yeah. But certain FS:es are just too good.

The game would devolve into everyone playing whoever has the best FS and running around camping for it.
Well, to counter to keep my statement true, ill answer to what you put:

1. It makes it legally balanced because if you dont hit it, you cant get it, simple.

2. Yea, if some cant thats because if they have a chance of hiting it, they deal the smash ball more damage than others like bowser. Meta Knight would need around 6 combo hits to get the Smash Ball(thats what ive heard) while Bowser only needs 2 hits of anything to get it. While bowser is slow but can deal massive damage to the smash ball, meta knight is weak and needs to do multiple hits to get the smash ball which his speed makes up for it. Thats what i mean by balance of powers.

3. Certain are good yes, but some you must know what your doing. I agree, you must have skill to use a Final Smash correctly.

The Final Smash simply put is an advantage so there will be more Sudden Deaths going around games.

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
Yuna, my main point was that just because someone doesn't place well at tournaments doesn't mean they don't understand the mechanics of the game.

Now NOT going to tournaments at all is a sure sign of a clueless person.

Bottom line is, I don't think Final Smashes will be plausible for Tournament Play, but we might as well test them to make sure, even though it seems extremely apparent already.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Besides the opinion that they'd make tournament matches look more exciting, there's no good reason to have smash balls on in competitive play.
No they wouldn't.

Do you know what would happen if Ken and Azen were playing for money in a FS tourney? Camping on both sides as Marth, waiting for the FS to appear. And then they'd rush it. Or they'd possibly fight a little bit, then grab a Smash Ball and then camp, one side to prepare to strike with an FS and the other to somehow rush the opponent and knocking the Smash Ball out of him.

Either way, one huge campfest.

Well, to counter to keep my statement true, ill answer to what you put:

1. It makes it legally balanced because if you dont hit it, you cant get it, simple.
Does not make it balanced or tournament worthy. "This broken thing that auto KOs needs effort to be performed! ZOMG!"

2. Yea, if some cant thats because if they have a chance of hiting it, they deal the smash ball more damage than others like bowser. Meta Knight would need around 6 combo hits to get the Smash Ball(thats what ive heard) while Bowser only needs 2 hits of anything to get it. While bowser is slow but can deal massive damage to the smash ball, meta knight is weak and needs to do multiple hits to get the smash ball which his speed makes up for it. Thats what i mean by balance of powers.
It's not about damage, it's about hits, move properties and who knows what. Peach always needs three hit to get it, for example, no matter what moves she uses (multi-hit moves count as one hit).

It's not a balance of powers. It's a balance of who can get to it first, but the fast characters will still have the advantage. They can whack their opponents and then whack the Smash Ball.

3. Certain are good yes, but some you must know what your doing. I agree, you must have skill to use a Final Smash correctly.
Oh yes, how horrible. You need skill to use the Final Smash! This must mean they aren't broken at all!

It's not that some are "good". It's that some break the game.

The Final Smash simply put is an advantage so there will be more Sudden Deaths going around games.
Yes, because we desperately need more of those.

Please read back through the last, oh, 5 pages before posting anything else as everything you've said has been shot down repeatedly already.

Yuna, my main point was that just because someone doesn't place well at tournaments doesn't mean they don't understand the mechanics of the game.
I still never claimed that. The matter of tournament placings only came up because I was hypothetically talking about matches with high level competitive play using Final Smashes.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
No they wouldn't.

Do you know what would happen if Ken and Azen were playing for money in a FS tourney? Camping on both sides as Marth, waiting for the FS to appear. And then they'd rush it. Or they'd possibly fight a little bit, then grab a Smash Ball and then camp, one side to prepare to strike with an FS and the other to somehow rush the opponent and knocking the Smash Ball out of him.

Either way, one huge campfest.
Can you prove that that would be the best way to play with smash balls on? If one person decided not to camp, do you believe that the other player could effectively camp for long enough for a smash ball to appear and have a bigger advantage than the other player at getting the smash ball?

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
I still never claimed that. The matter of tournament placings only came up because I was hypothetically talking about matches with high level competitive play using Final Smashes.
You pointed out that you had placed well at FC 6 and asked what major tournament Brightside went to and if he placed well... >_>

Top Bottom