• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Mlg Ban Mk? What Will Be There Ruleset?

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
So as you all know brawl is in mlg now but what will be their ruleset and will they ban MK. This is a big question cause mlg will want to compete globally and mk is banned in 2 countries so who knows. I dont wanna practice MK then find out mlg banned him...

TP

Smash Master
1) MLG has events in the USA only.
2) Their, not there.
3) This has already been asked several times. No reason to make a new thread about it.
4) They'll tell us when they decide. Be patient, sheesh.

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
1) MLG has events in the USA only.
2) Their, not there.
3) This has already been asked several times. No reason to make a new thread about it.
4) They'll tell us when they decide. Be patient, sheesh.
um do u not remember mlg IN JAPAN!! It is possible they will expand their horizons and go to japan again or maybe europe.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL I doubt MLG has the wherewithal for a European venture.

They shouldn't ban Meta Knight as much as they should ban everyone except Meta Knight. :D

M@v

Subarashii!
How about we wait a couple weeks, then see what happens? Look at this way; we have to know by april 16th

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
i say practice mk. he's easy to get the basic's down in a week at the most. stay with ur original char, but keep mk on the side. i hope they ban him cause it will make it more interesting, but then again i hope they dont, because im sure some people will quit.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
MLG banning Meta Knight? They might as well put a rope around their necks. They're supposed to support competitive play.

:059:

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
Until you get the entire roster with MK users and no originality.....Having MK practically kills the point of having D tier characters or lower....unless of course you use Yoshi.

I'm not saying to ban him but I don't expect to see a whole lot of diversity if he isn't.

nevershootme

Smash Master
I can't wait to see $12,500 national win all because of planking...

jeez, just wait patiently for the official rules... banned or not you're still fighting for $2k every MLG tourney.

heck who knows if MLG feels like making custom maps. just stop going to conclusions quickly as the announcement was ****ing 3 days ago.

chill pills kids

Foy

Smash Champion
Touche. But the topic relates to MK therefore i win.

Yo Northern Virginia is trash at brawl, Upstate NY would stomp you kids out.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
They won't ban MK. It wouldn't be a good business decision. They need those entrance fee's to make money, if they ban MK, They will not get as many players joining, because they main MK and put a lot of time into him. Plus, it is unprofessional to ban MK, cause it's like banning customers.

Also, there needs to be more neutral stages for more variety and more entertainment. It would look boring to be playing on the same stages all the time. Flat stage and platform stages are way too overused, and because of this, certain characters are better, Diddy Kong, Metaknight, Snake. The starter/neutral stage list should look like this:

Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Pokemon Stadium 1
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi's Island Brawl

All of these should be put into random. These stages have no hazards that cause damage. Move able platforms are really no treat and they don't cause an unfair advantage. The transformation stages change form, so a certain character may have an advantage on that stage layout for a moment, but it won't last forever, since the stage changes every so often. Making it fair. Now the counterstages are questionable. It's going to be hard to please everybody on counter pick stages. We can't be playing on the same stages all the time though if we want Brawl to remain interesting and be kept on MLG for multiple years. It's time to evolve the stage rule set into something more diverse. Who here agree's with me?

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the game would be more interesting for spectators without Metaknight. I feel like a lot of people who place top 16 are going to be people used Metaknight (they might not win but they may be the majority) and I honestly think watching someone play as MK or against MK is boring. The only exciting match I really saw against a MK was Lain v. M2K. But I'm sure there are some others out there.

Do I think they should ban MK? Yes and No.

I think the crowd of characters would be more diverse and we'd be more likely to see lower tiers do well and, in general, there would likely be a wider variety of characters used which would create a more diverse tournament. However, a lot of people do main MK and there is the chance that banning him would drive some players away.

But then I raise the question, does that mean they can only win if they use MK? And if that's the case, shouldn't we encouraging the use of wider array of characters?

So again, I'm split on the topic but leaning towards him being banned. I usually don't like banning characters because it's a little silly but, oh well.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I feel like the game would be more interesting for spectators without Metaknight. I feel like a lot of people who place top 16 are going to be people used Metaknight (they might not win but they may be the majority) and I honestly think watching someone play as MK or against MK is boring. The only exciting match I really saw against a MK was Lain v. M2K. But I'm sure there are some others out there.

Do I think they should ban MK? Yes and No.

I think the crowd of characters would be more diverse and we'd be more likely to see lower tiers do well and, in general, there would likely be a wider variety of characters used which would create a more diverse tournament. However, a lot of people do main MK and there is the chance that banning him would drive some players away.

But then I raise the question, does that mean they can only win if they use MK? And if that's the case, shouldn't we encouraging the use of wider array of characters?

So again, I'm split on the topic but leaning towards him being banned. I usually don't like banning characters because it's a little silly but, oh well.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I was going to say to keep MK in but put in strict no Planking/Scrooging rules and enforce them, but I'm not sure that will work anymore.
What do you all feel is the best COA?

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
If you're judging me based simply on my join date, you sir have a lot to learn. I've been around these forums for a good number of years but created a new use name this month. My other account was "dj asakura". I joined in May of 2006.

Never say someone doesn't known anything because of a join date.

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
I agree with Asakura on the MK issue...what he said made a lot of sense although if your a good smasher be it in Melee/Brawl/Smash Flash/or the 64 version. Then things like the banning of a single character wouldn't matter because you should try to be good or even decent with a wide variety of characters.

Like just recently I discovered I can kick *** with Bowser O-o would I use him in a tourny? No, probably not but I still have other characters I could go to if my main Falco got banned.

Anyway, what are the chances Brawl + would be allowed? XD

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Asakura on the MK issue...what he said made a lot of sense although if your a good smasher be it in Melee/Brawl/Smash Flash/or the 64 version. Then things like the banning of a single character wouldn't matter because you should try to be good or even decent with a wide variety of characters.

Like just recently I discovered I can kick *** with Bowser O-o would I use him in a tourny? No, probably not but I still have other characters I could go to if my main Falco got banned.

Anyway, what are the chances Brawl + would be allowed? XD
I'm generally a firm believer in the saying that "There are no low tier characters, only low tier players." I do think that if someone knows their character well enough and knows the matchup well enough, they can win at pretty much any level. I know there are some obvious flaws with that logic but it's something I generally stand by.

If MK gets banned that's fine, if he doesn't, that's fine too. It's not going to stop me from playing the game and it's not like I won't have to learn the matchup for other tournaments that don't ban him anyway.

I just think that it would be beneficial if MK was banned, I think it would create a more diverse tournament. That's all.

nevershootme

Smash Master
diverse tournament or not. it's all about revenue for mlg, mlg is a business

do note they're tapping into fighting games this season (Tekken 6 and Brawl and pending SFIV) due to it's recent revival into the genre. So if it goes well this season (attendence, hype, prizes), then they can consider hosting it again next season. do note mlg collects sponsors to support their cause of running tournaments, that's why we see pro halo players get their faces into dr. pepper bottles and such. and now ESPN runs broadcasts for MLG.

it's all about getting the crowd excited. when there's excitement and cheer, there's money generated. be glad that community hype and demand got the board to decide to throw in large amounts of money for prizes into brawl for this season.

brawl+ is impossible being that it's hacked.

Asakura cR

Smash Apprentice
diverse tournament or not. it's all about revenue for mlg, mlg is a business

do note they're tapping into fighting games this season (Tekken 6 and Brawl and pending SFIV) due to it's recent revival into the genre. So if it goes well this season (attendence, hype, prizes), then they can consider hosting it again next season. do note mlg collects sponsors to support their cause of running tournaments, that's why we see pro halo players get their faces into dr. pepper bottles and such. and now ESPN runs broadcasts for MLG.

it's all about getting the crowd excited. when there's excitement and cheer, there's money generated. be glad that community hype and demand got the board to decide to throw in large amounts of money for prizes into brawl for this season.

brawl+ is impossible being that it's hacked.
I know full well how MLG works, I've been following the circuit since late 2007. I know that it's a business and they get a lot of money from sponsors but they also try and create the most fair and balanced gameplay as possible and seeing as how there is a bit of a split on if MK is "fair" or not, they need to take it into consideration.

And as far as getting the crowd excited, coming from a GoW2 player who watched a game that people were extremely bored of during some of the campy-ier matches, doing anything possible to speed up gameplay wouldn't hurt and if banning MK would be something that would make for more exciting games and faster paced games, then it's an even more viable choice.

But like I've said before, I'm fine with either decision on the MK issue. It's not going to change anything for me regardless.

D1

Banned via Administration
Metaknight League Gaming

Ahhhhh this **** just got real
Everything else pales in comparison. Since when did MK take practice?!!! LOL Only vs the top tiers maybe cuz they have a fighting chance...esp. Snake.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Saying Banning MK will cause people to leave IS true. But it more so doesn't matter because PLENTY of people said they'd come back to brawl if MK WAS banned. Plus with all the new people MLG will bring, it doesn't matter if a few people leave beacuse they actually have to work to win.

Arkio

Smash Cadet
It seems to me that Metaknights have a record of producing lame looking games, not to mention a whole ton of him at tournaments. Due to the fact there are many gamers who play multiple games because of MLG, making the game look more fun, exciting, and not the same old same old planking would also draw many of those MLG players in.

Although, there are still many people (albeit not necessarily the most skilled or devoted and therefore even more likely to camp and look boring) who would quit simply because their character got banned. Personally, I think it's important to learn many character, whether you perfect them or not, and so if my main got banned, I could easily switch or Olimar or any of my multiple sub-mains.

Yeah, Brawl + won't be a part of MLG, but I wish they could use it to remove tripping... D=

nevershootme

Smash Master
thing is... tourney hosts make the rules, and mlg has and what they say is their call (not to mention they own this forum), and people can whine all day and not attend if mk is banned in the ruling, therefore leaving out on winning the money that's at stake all because of 1 lil tidbit. now what about the issue on akuma being banned from HDRemix in EVO, was there complaints to the extreme and outrage? but still people attended and had fun

now i don't know how much whining there was on the halo side when such issues arose (Halo 2's glitches and whatnot), but brawl is obviously a complex case for mlg to decide on the ruling (i.e. mk, planking, chaingrabs, other exploits), of course they'll listen more to AZ and the admins here to influence the rulings to the MLG Board for approval.

Bwoodboy18

Smash Cadet
I think the wise decision is to ban MK, I don't think they'd lose all that much money because think about it good smashers as I said before can use multiple characters even if they main MK. I'm almost positive the people that quit and don't participate will be very small number if MK does in fact get banned.

Though, MK aside, there still are other characters who have there own cheap ways of killing like King DeDeDe's infinite chain grab, and Snakes godly hit box and insane knock back power. Wario having the least amount of recovery time from the entire roster etc.

MK isn't the only one who you could say would have an unfair advantage, as such, I believe that will also influence MLG's decisions.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
A lot of pros play MK. Pros are the ones getting sponsored. Which generates money for MLG and the player. Most people who want MK banned are scrubs who don't usually attend tournaments or they are top players saying these things so they can have one less hard match up, for their own advantageous gain. MLG won't ban MK because if they do, they will lose the customers that actually do go to tournaments, since the majority of traveling pros play as MK. It would definitely be a bad financial decision if they ban MK because of this. I thought this was obvious. Apparently not. -_-

Top Bottom