• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote on side.

dealth0072

Smash Journeyman
Hello, i play with my friends on WiFi who are really competive and i am trying to get ahead in the game, and i am very used to using the wiimote on its side to control. When i use my wavebird, its just feels like its clunky or too big for my hands, and they say the GC controllers best.

I am wondering, is the classic controller just as good as GC, if so i might use that from now on, they say the wiimote is really bad.

Thoughts?

Recoil

Smash Journeyman
Your extremely limited with just a wiimote on the side. My friends and I play that way for lulz though xD

Classic controller relies on the wiimote, which causes lag. The GC controller is the best option, no batteries, no lag.

P.S Wavebird is also a bit laggy too.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
...How much noticeable lag is there with the other controller options? I've been wondering if I should try out the classic controller.
To me, the lag ranks like this:

Wiimote/chuck > Classic Controller > Wavebird > The only realistic option, GC.

The lag may be minuscule (couple hundred milliseconds or less), but you'll feel it, especially if you're accustomed to using a GC controller.

arch knight

Smash Lord
in truth you should play with what you are comfortable with you shouldnt force yourself to play with one controller because its supposedly better than the others. it hasnt stopped me

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Most people who play with a wireless controller regularly don't really notice the 2 frame lag because of the 10 frame buffering system. Just FYI.

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Wii-gun is probably the worst way, lulz.

You're best off with a GC controller. Yeah it will feel awkward maybe, but you'll get used to it. It's certainly better than the wiimote on side (you have to double tap to dash). A lot of movement is restricted on that...and it has no C-Stick, so a ton of ATs become so much harder, if not impossible.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Wii-gun is probably the worst way, lulz.

You're best off with a GC controller. Yeah it will feel awkward maybe, but you'll get used to it. It's certainly better than the wiimote on side (you have to double tap to dash). A lot of movement is restricted on that...and it has no C-Stick, so a ton of ATs become so much harder, if not impossible.
Lmao I didn't think of that. It'd be awesome for Snake's FS though :)

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I've ended up getting used to using wii-mote+nunchuk, I've not played Melee in ages so I practically forgotten the feel of usuing GC controller so I stick with wii-mote really, since I've gotten used to it.

Crow!

Smash Lord
If you're playing online, controller lag isn't really a concern - the online lag is way longer. In person, it can become an issue if you're trying to get really good.

Wiimote held sideways just doesn't have enough buttons. Wiimote + nunchuck is what I use, and after customizing the controls, it is sufficient. I don't feel as though I have any extra lag, though that may just be becasue I haven't used the GC controller in forever.

ManofPie

Smash Rookie
the game cube controller has proven itself reliable and has served smash bros, all these new controllers = distractions from the best of it all

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I am wondering, is the classic controller just as good as GC, if so i might use that from now on, they say the wiimote is really bad.
The Classic Controller is the greatest. You'll have more control functions than the Gamecube Controller has, and you can save your controls when you go to someone else's Wii on your Wii Mote. Of course I know this because I use the Classic Controller myself. =D

When it come's to control options here's my pros and cons of different controllers since I use them all:

Wii Mote Alone:

Pros:

+ It's simple to use

+ You can easily use Smash Attacks

+ You can save your controls on your Wii Mote

Cons:

- Hard to use on competive play

- Not enough control options

- Hard to use grabs and shield

- You have to modify jump controls to use them better

Wii Mote & Nunchku:

+ The most control options out of the four

Cons:

- It's the hardest to mater over the four controls

- Hard to modify your control functions for competitive play

Classic Controller:

+ Soft controls for gentle fingers

+ Same feeling as the GC controller

+ Great use for competitive play

Cons:

- Hard to use with someone with big hands and/or fingers

- Hardest to grip when it come's to the other four controls

Gamecube Controller:

+ Best competitive controller out of the four controllers

+ Most familiar for those who played Melee

+ Best grip out of the four controllers

Cons:

- You have to hard tap the controls, while the Wii Mote's you can soft tap it

- The most overused controller out of the four controllers

- You can't save your control changes on your Gamecube Controller but your Wii Mote only

That's all I'll say since I've lost track of how many time's I've posted at a controller thread. XD

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's a myth that Wavebirds (or wireless controllers in general) lag. Well, they "lag", but it's less than 1 frame. It has no effect on the game, and the reason you don't notice is that it's impossible to notice. Wavebirds in particular are not used in tournament play due to the very plausible risk of wireless interference (since Wavebirds are limited to 16 channels). Lag isn't a factor, and there's no reason to avoid using a Wavebird in a small, local tournament (4 set ups and fewer) or in friendlies.

Just try all the options and use what you like best. It's strictly personal. Most people prefer the Gamecube controller, but with the exception of the Wii Remote alone, I am pretty sure all the control schemes allow the player to do the same things. Some things are just easier or harder on certain schemes.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
EDIT: At Viper's post.

There's a ridiculously huge con to the Wii controller. Trying to sync it from Wii to Wii. That is so ridiculously annoying. It's one of the reasons that I stopped using the Classic Controller.

Also, I hate the way the analog feels, but that's just a personal preference.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
There's a ridiculously huge con to the Wii controller. Trying to sync it from Wii to Wii. That is so ridiculously annoying. It's one of the reasons that I stopped using the Classic Controller.
While the Wii is turned on:
- First you press the red button on the Wii once and let go.
- Then you press the red button inside the wiimote once and let go.
- Done.

Order shouldn't matter. I don't understand how this is ridiculously hard to do.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
It really irks me when people trash the WiiChuck(Wiimote + Nunchuck scheme) without even trying it out seriously =/. There are certain advantages to it that haven't been mentioned.

There is no lag on the wiimote+nunchuck with decently charged batteries. People just assume there is because its wireless. Electric signals have to travel all the same as radio waves.

Smashes set D-Pad works just as well as the c-stck, except you can't directly angle smashes through them(using analog stick is not a problem though). Shake smash is as reliable as well if you learn to use it correctly, but people just tend to shake without even knowing the right way -_-. Both of these options allow you an advantage over the GC and VC remotes that no one mentions. Its only a fraction of a second's advantage, but its there regardless. In the GC remote, you have to constantly move your fingers up and down between the button set and the Cstick to alternate between attacks and stuff. The Wiimote allows you to have more flexibity by allowing your hands to control all aspects of gameplay without having to move your fingers from their positions. There are some limitations, usually isolated cases of techniques and such, but for the most part, I find it superior to GC, or at the very least equal.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
It's not really hard to do, if your trying to sync from Wii to Wii. All you have to do is to tell someone that your Brawling to go to Options > Controls > Press Start, then press 1 & 2 on your Wii Mote, and that's it. If your Wii's on in the same area, you might have to do this twice, if it syncs to your Wii, just take the battery out and try to press 1 & 2 again. It's really worth it if you don't use the same controls as anyone else, also if you like using names.

- Done.
That will take longer and I wouldn't do this unless someone brings a Wii without a Wii Mote, lol. Just don't call the owner to press home, then reconnect so you can use your Wii Mote controllers. Since almost 95% of the players play with a GC controller, it's easy to ask the person your playing to go to options, and sync your controller from there.

tocador

Smash Lord
Dude, just use what you feel like! If you can beat a Good player that uses GC controller, but you use wii-mote sideways, good for you! It's just about the feellllllll!

But shure, wiimote sideways is somewhat limited in the variations, but if its the only way you can play, use it!

Ps: I use Wiichuck!

ps2:WIICHUCK HAVE C-STICK!

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Well, Wiimote alone is clearly crippled though. It's like trying to win a an f-1 race with a a civic. The tools don't make the player, they maximize the players capability. I consider WiiChuck/VC/GC just about equal. Wiimote doensn't allow for the functionality of the others, but I guess if you are great with it, then hey, use what works.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
- Done.

Order shouldn't matter. I don't understand how this is ridiculously hard to do.
It isn't. Or rather, it shouldn't be. However, while attending events, my remote would simply not sync to any Wii.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
imo Gamecube is the best, the whole story about ''hard-tapping'' etc is bull, I find the GCC more comfortable then Classic, it's too loose compared to the GCC.
Also, Classic doesn't have a Z-button.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
imo Gamecube is the best, the whole story about ''hard-tapping'' etc is bull, I find the GCC more comfortable then Classic, it's too loose compared to the GCC.
Also, Classic doesn't have a Z-button.
The Classic has a Z button. In fact, it has two! ZL and ZR. Itty-bitty shoulder buttons. :bee:

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I learned a few months ago a big flaw with the wiimote is that it suddendly loses connection with the wii and will ignore allthe buttons you press, try it yourself hold sheild or seomthjing with the wiimote and all o a sudden for a brief moment the sheild will let go and set up again. It has convinced me to buy one of these
http://www.uxcell.com/white-wired-classic-controller-for-nintendo-wii-p-24842.html

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
So, here's a question: which characters do you guys think is hurt the most and the least from the Wiimote on the side?

Top Bottom