• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just want to mention. When the new 3D Mario is eventually made, I REALLY hope it's NOT a Mario Galaxy 3

This is a new gen, I want a new Mario series. Something unique to this system

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
NO, I actually like the typical design of the mario universe more than interesting interpretation they had in sunshine.

Besides, what would REALLY be great is a Mario 2 2. Think of it, the possibilities Mario could do in a dream world. Even more crazy things than in space.

And finally the revenge of Wart!

finalark

SNORLAX
When Nintendo eventually puts out a new Mario game I want to play something other than Mario 64 with a gimmick. Galaxy 2, for all of its expansion packness at least brought back the world map from Mario 3 and Mario World. That was actually pretty interested because that was the first time we ever saw that in a 3D Mario game.

Oh yeah, and while we're at it Nintendo should really get rid of lives. They serve no purpose for a game designed for home consoles. This obsession with tradition gets pretty rediculous in the NSMB titles and in 3D Land when the game boots you back several levels for loosing all of your lives just so it can beat more non-existent quarters out of you.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I usually have plenty of extra lives, so they don't bother me. What's bothering me is when I don't have 99 extra lives, especially in Sunshine.

What happends when you have run out of all your extra lives in the 3D Mario games?

And yes, we need Wart!

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
All that happens when you get a game over is you get kicked out of the level so no progress of that level so far carries over.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
All that happens when you get a game over is you get kicked out of the level so no progress of that level so far carries over.
That doesn't sound too bad. At least you don't have to start over the whole game from scratch, like in the good old days.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
While that's true, it was a pain in Sunshine. It only really happened in the special levels where you have to collect the red coins. Some of those were a total pain in the *** and that game over was just a big middle finger to you.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You know, I kind of would prefer if game overs started you from the beggining of level 1 of the current world. Removing all progress from all levels of just that world.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For some strange reason, I played Sunshine the most out of all the 3D Mario games, and it was probably my least favorite out of them. Don't get me wrong though, I still liked it a lot. I just felt that Hover made the game easy to break. I have done runs using it only where it was absolutely needed, and it was pretty fun. Still, it makes those Secret stages or whatever my favorite in Sunshine since I loved those.

I've also done a no save playthrough and getting the minimum amount of shines (50 I think).
I died on my first run, so it was a pain going through all the non-skippable cutscenes again. :ohwell:
It was fun though since you don't have that safety net of just restarting from a save.

As for a new 3D Mario, I'm sure they'll do something different than another Galaxy. It's always nice how Mario games are usually distinct and different from each other, something I can't expect with NSMB.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Galaxy 2 ain't distinct from Galaxy. Frankly, I was quite disappointed when Nintendo announced Galaxy 2. Couldn't they just do something fresh?

In the end, I think Galaxy 2 was a really good game, probably one of the best I've ever played.

I wonder where Nintendo will take Mario the next time, because it will definitely be a next time. Sunshine 2 would be sweet, but I want something new.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Galaxy 2 ain't distinct from Galaxy. Frankly, I was quite disappointed when Nintendo announced Galaxy 2. Couldn't they just do something fresh?

In the end, I think Galaxy 2 was a really good game, probably one of the best I've ever played.

I wonder where Nintendo will take Mario the next time, because it will definitely be a next time. Sunshine 2 would be sweet, but I want something new.
That's why I said "usually", haha. Original Mario 2 and Galaxy 2 were the ones to be the exceptions for both 2D and 3D not counting NSMB.
I don't mind that we got a Galaxy 2 though, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten another Mario game in time before the Wii U.

It was also done by a different Nintendo EAD team, so the people that worked on Galaxy 1 could've been working on ideas for the next new Mario.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The "worlds" in Galaxy 2 were lazy and completely uninteresting. I wouldn't mind if they scrapped both that and a hub system like they had in Galaxy 1 in favor of a more overworld persistent Mario world. That would be new and could be done really well considering how colorful and diverse the Mario universe can be.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It makes it really hard for me to think where Nintendo can go next from this point for a big console 3D game. SMG series were arguably the two best 3D Platformers in history, certainly the two best in the Mario series. How do you follow that act? Can you one-up the galaxy series without using its system?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
How about a Mario game with some depth into the stories similar to the Paper Mario and Mario RPG series? Only it would be a platformer.

SMG series were arguably the two best 3D Platformers in history, certainly the two best in the Mario series.
I'd take Little Big Planet over Mario Galaxy any day.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't understand your memes and I also don't care

The "worlds" in Galaxy 2 were lazy and completely uninteresting. I wouldn't mind if they scrapped both that and a hub system like they had in Galaxy 1 in favor of a more overworld persistent Mario world. That would be new and could be done really well considering how colorful and diverse the Mario universe can be.
I agree with this. Everyone says it was so much better, but I thought that aspect of it was lacking

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Id like to disagree. I can say that yes, the first Mario Galaxy was very good but the second one was little more than an over priced expansion pack.
Doesn't make SMG2 not good. Released on its own without SMG1 it would still stand as an incredible quality platformer.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If Little Big Planet wasn't the ONLY game I was interested in playing on a Sony system I might actually get a chance to play it

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I don't understand your memes and I also don't care

I agree with this. Everyone says it was so much better, but I thought that aspect of it was lacking
I think what Gunmaster is trying to say with that meme is that he finds it funny that this is the "next gen" when the Wii U is only going to a little more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3. Though it really doesn't matter me, I'm gonna buy the Wii U at some point, anyway.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
I think Delfino Plaza was a nice "overworld." It was a perfect environment to jump around and experiement with the excellent game mechanics.

As for the next 3D Mario; it'll great if Nintendo don't make too many gimmicks. Hopefully, the new functions with the Wii U pad will only be used moderately.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think what Gunmaster is trying to say with that meme is that he finds it funny that this is the "next gen" when the Wii U is only going to a little more powerful than the Xbox 360 and PS3. Though it really doesn't matter me, I'm gonna buy the Wii U at some point, anyway.
Technology is hitting a wall. Fitting something into an affordable package isn't as huge of a leap between gens as it used to be. It'll take a complete reimagining of graphics processing before we hit the next big leap in graphics, so expect baby steps with consoles until that happens.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
How about Nintendo gives Mario a little break from his platforming roots?

In my opinion, I think that we're seeing too much Mario recently. They need to give the guy a break. He had a good run, but let him catch his breath. Give us a new IP, or just continue to advance your current IPs. But no more Mario.

:phone:

finalark

SNORLAX
How about Nintendo gives Mario a little break from his platforming roots?

In my opinion, I think that we're seeing too much Mario recently. They need to give the guy a break. He had a good run, but let him catch his breath. Give us a new IP, or just continue to advance your current IPs. But no more Mario.

This.

But god knows that Mario sells itself so... yeah.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I don't mind all the Mario games we're getting. 3 for Wii isn't too much for me.
Although now that I think about it, we did get a lot more non-Zelda and Mario first party games last gen.

At least some of the other franchises finally had new games again. I guess it's a slow alternating process.

finalark

SNORLAX
Am I the only one that thinks that the new Luigi's Mansion should've been for the Wii U and not the 3DS?
I'm okay with it being on the 3DS.

Only because that means I don't have to buy a Wii U.

But in all seriousness I think that would have been interesting. Imagine if the Wii U screen acted like an always on Game Boo Horror while the action still happened on the TV. Wouldn't that be interested?

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
[FONT=&quot]☯ Never mind Luigi's Mansion for Wii U, since the Wii U gamepad have gyroscope, I'm up for Kirby Tilt n' Tumble 2 revival soon... I hope, lol. It was in development in GC so just saying. =3 [FONT=&quot]★[/FONT][/FONT]

Selentine

Smash Rookie
Technology is hitting a wall. Fitting something into an affordable package isn't as huge of a leap between gens as it used to be. It'll take a complete reimagining of graphics processing before we hit the next big leap in graphics, so expect baby steps with consoles until that happens.
I'd have to agree with this man.
If you look at past history, the jump between the 4th and 5th gen (SNES, Genesis to PSX, N64, Saturn) was huge compared to the jump from the 6 to 7th gen (DC,XBox,PS2,GCN to Wii,PS3,360). We are slowing down in terms of potential. After that point where we slow to a crawl, it won't really matter.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd have to agree with this man.
If you look at past history, the jump between the 4th and 5th gen (SNES, Genesis to PSX, N64, Saturn) was huge compared to the jump from the 6 to 7th gen (DC,XBox,PS2,GCN to Wii,PS3,360). We are slowing down in terms of potential. After that point where we slow to a crawl, it won't really matter.
Well, when you get down to it its borderline impossible to replicate going from playing games on a 2D to playing them on a 3D one. It was huge, graphics were more complex than ever, it opened up a whole new world of game play possibilities and was really make or break time for most franchises.

I doubt we'll ever see that again unless something that can completely change how games are played shows up again.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Exactly. To be honest, I think Nintendo has the right idea. They try thinking of new ways for us that changes how we experience and interact with games. Sadly, the right idea isn't the most popular one.

finalark

SNORLAX
Exactly. To be honest, I think Nintendo has the right idea. They try thinking of new ways for us that changes how we experience and interact with games. Sadly, the right idea isn't the most popular one.

The problem is that they're trying too hard. When you get down to it, their attempts to change the way games are played have often resulted in very gimmicky consoles that everyone has mixed feelings about.

Honestly, out of all of their gimmicks the only one that actually enhanced game play was the two screens of the DS.

Top Bottom