• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
crap $50 off! Still the wii U is a bit over priced.Especially how alot pf families can't afford it now with the economy as it is.
People can afford it. -_- Hence why pre-orders have been selling fast.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, one can question what is the real value of the things you are getting with the Deluxe addition.

Plastic stand and cradle? Uh, I'm pretty sure...while sold separately would be about 10 dollars each are really worth about 2-5 dollars in terms of production.

Nintendoland? Doesn't even have online play and is just an enhanced version of Wii Sports. I question if one could even consider it a "complete" game. It will just come down to how much content will be in it. Otherwise, one could shock it up to be price wise as an expensive DLC pack.

I'm still "eh" on the memory upgrade. Even if it is flash based.

I guess it's ok if you really want a black Wii U. Then again this issue wouldn't really arise if Nintendo made both colors available for both models. Having an external source of memory almost eliminates all reason to have the Delux Wii U besides the black color and the 10% back on online purchases, which isn't something that should be exclusive to people who just happened to have more money at the initial launch.

Really, what is Nintendo doing with their marketting?

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
ZombieU doesn't have online, like wtf Nintendo? D:

Also, I would rather have a white Wii U than a black, why did they make the black only for the deluxe? Now I'm forced to buy the standard if I want a white one.
Nintendoland also seriously needs online play. They also could've included more memory :L

Honestly, I'm not sure I even want a Wii U, maybe when SSB4 comes out it will be enough to sell me, but for now It's not looking very good...

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
True, but NSMBU doesn't have online either, and it's like the 3rd in the series?

No online was why I traded in the first one. It was extremely aggravating trying to do it solo.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, one can question what is the real value of the things you are getting with the Deluxe addition.

Plastic stand and cradle? Uh, I'm pretty sure...while sold separately would be about 10 dollars each are really worth about 2-5 dollars in terms of production.

Nintendoland? Doesn't even have online play and is just an enhanced version of Wii Sports. I question if one could even consider it a "complete" game. It will just come down to how much content will be in it. Otherwise, one could shock it up to be price wise as an expensive DLC pack.

I'm still "eh" on the memory upgrade. Even if it is flash based.
I think the Deluxe Version is more valuable to people who plan purchasing on-line versions of their games. That 2 years discount for on-line shopping is too good to pass on.

I am still undecided about which one I will get. I think I'll try to get a Deluxe one (hopefully I can), since I want Nintendo Land. The internet discount + the other accessories are just a bonus.

However, I really wanted a white Wii U. My Wii is white so I wanted to pick a white Wii U too, all my Wii-Motes and Wii accessories are white as well (excluding my sexy gold Skyward Sword wii-mote plus x3).

I really wished Nintendo at least distributed like 10% or 20% of the total Wii U Deluxe bundles as a White set.

Bah, I'll just pick a Basic bundle and won't buy Nintendo Land, I'll save the money and, instead, I'll get a new external HD if I happen to need one (for DLCs and Demos and whatnot).

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Bah, I'll just pick a Basic bundle and won't buy Nintendo Land, I'll save the money and, instead, I'll get a new external HD if I happen to need one (for DLCs and Demos and whatnot).
Trust me, no matter which version you get, if you are a heavy gamer, you will want to get an external hard drive. That 10% discount for online on the deluxe isn't going to mean much if you don't have enough memory anyways.

finalark

SNORLAX
Honestly, I'm not sure I even want a Wii U, maybe when SSB4 comes out it will be enough to sell me, but for now It's not looking very good...
I'm with you there. Right now most of the launch line up looks like games I could already play on PS3 or PC. Plus Nintendo still seems to think of online play as something trivial and pointless.

Oh, and I really don't want to throw out a good sixty bucks just do I don't have to play with an Ipad. Honestly, I'm really sick of Nintendo and their gimmick consoles. If the Wii U was literally just a box with a good controller and online play then I'd be all over it.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Wait, we have to pay for online? When did this happen? D: Forget it then.
No, the 10 percent off is for online purchases of games. Kinda similar to Playstation Plus. The online parts of games are free, the membership or whatever basically gives you a discount on games from the online store. So if you're planning on buying a ton of virtual console games or something, then getting the premium console would be a good idea.

finalark

SNORLAX
Wait, we have to pay for online? When did this happen? D: Forget it then.
Stuff is like is why I've been playing consoles less and less and PC more and more. At least with PC the only cost for playing online is your internet bill.

Plus most games recent I'm interested in play better on PC or are PC exclusive anyway. The only upcoming game that isn't better on PC that I'm interested in is DMC.

No, the 10 percent off is for online purchases of games. Kinda similar to Playstation Plus. The online parts of games are free, the membership or whatever basically gives you a discount on games from the online store. So if you're planning on buying a ton of virtual console games or something, then getting the premium console would be a good idea.
This I'm okay with. I thought we'd have to pay for online but this is really good.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
OOOOOOOH. Ok, that makes more sense. I thought Nintendo was gonna pull a Microsoft on us.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
OOOOOOOH. Ok, that makes more sense. I thought Nintendo was gonna pull a Microsoft on us.
No. Nintendo wants everyone to enjoy their online service. They might be doing a Sony in which you can pay a subscription for more premium features. (You know, like PlayStation Plus.)

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
10% is good but Nintendo charges tax.
I'm getting the deluxe for NintendoLand really. I have 2 brothers so that kind of thing is nice instead of just having AC3 or something like that.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I tried changing the location on my 3DS to a tax free state but I think it goes off the zip code of the card :(
Maybe if you used one of those points cards though.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
What is the point in that -.-
To manage sales, I think. It's bad for people who speak Japanese or another language and want to import a game, they are held back. It's also bad for people who move to a different country and now need either a new system or to import games that work with their consoles.

Anyway, it's not like it's anything new. It's been like that for years and years. Almost everything today is region-locked, including major media devices such as dvds and blu-rays, because it help business. How are they supposed to sell something when people would had rather import from a different continent which would end up pretty cheap, knowing that it will run games they buy locally regardless region?

It's purely to manage sales. But in the end, who lose with all this are the consumers. And they do this mostly because people who want to play different region games or moved to a different continent are the minority, sadly. :c

finalark

SNORLAX
How are they supposed to sell something when people would had rather import from a different continent which would end up pretty cheap, knowing that it will run games they buy locally regardless region?
Hold on, I'm not big on importing but isn't importing games more expensive than buying local?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Hold on, I'm not big on importing but isn't importing games more expensive than buying local?
Yes it is more expensive. For example, Anarchy Reigns, a game that got delayed outside of Japan until March (it was supposed to have been released during the summer,) was never region locked. So people who really wanted it decided to import it. Sadly, the import cost most people over $100 to do so.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I hate region locks, I can't play FFXII International because of it. I'm sorry, but I thought it was an INTERNATIONAL version.

finalark

SNORLAX
I hate region locks, I can't play FFXII International because of it. I'm sorry, but I thought it was an INTERNATIONAL version.
Na, that's just a subtitle Square likes to throw around with a loose understanding of what the word means.

IMO region locking makes no sense. Not only is it more expensive to import games, but its not a very big portion of the gaming community that does it. I'm sure there's some business reason behind it but I just can't see it.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Na, that's just a subtitle Square likes to throw around with a loose understanding of what the word means.

IMO region locking makes no sense. Not only is it more expensive to import games, but its not a very big portion of the gaming community that does it. I'm sure there's some business reason behind it but I just can't see it.
Obviously, Nintendo don't want you to buy their games...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Y'know, this wouldn't be an issue if they made games have options to make it so you can play which version you want. For example, I'd KILL just to have a game have optional japanese VA with english subtitles. Is it really so hard?

finalark

SNORLAX
Y'know, this wouldn't be an issue if they made games have options to make it so you can play which version you want. For example, I'd KILL just to have a game have optional japanese VA with english subtitles. Is it really so hard?
I think the Sonic the Hedgehog games are the only games I've ever played with that option.

Honestly, I can deal with bad voice acting. Usually this makes the game funny as hell and I'd take it over awkwardly translated subtitles. Either way, I can't take a game seriously if it has either of those.

Or worse, English voice actors trying to act out awkwardly translated subtitles.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
No idea, I only know that instead of paying R$1400 (about $ 700) for my Wii back in the time, I imported it and ended up paying R$ 800(about $ 400). So yea, there is a amount of tax we need to pay depending on the customs. If you get your purchases with gift wraps you can even trick the whole system.

Not to mention that here in Brazil you don't need to pay for taxes a lot, most of the time you won't even need to if what you are purchasing is cheap.

I imported Skyward Sword from CD Universe in USA, the Deluxe edition and guess what? I was cheaper than purchasing here. I was checking stores here that were pre-ordering, and websites, the price would have been the double, almost thrice the price. Pricing in my country sucks. Pukes~

So yeah, I'm always purchasing stuff from USA directly, they end up getting cheaper. I'm lucky Nintendo uses the same ntsc version of their consoles and games through all the Americas. The least thing we need is getting a different version for Latian America or Brazil alone. That would mean that I would not afford a lot of good stuff, unless I get them imported from USA.

I am guessing they will sell the Wii U here for R$ 1600 (800$) *sigh*, sucky economy. I'm importing it, no way I will pay about 800 dollars for one.

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't know why everyone says that the laugh is the worst part of the game. It's pretty clearly intended to be stupid and over the top, plus he and Yuna actually laugh afterwards.

The part of FFX's voice acting.... people should.... focus on.... is the random... pauses in the.... middle of sentences.... because they.... had to match the.... Japanese lip sync....

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I don't know why everyone says that the laugh is the worst part of the game. It's pretty clearly intended to be stupid and over the top, plus he and Yuna actually laugh afterwards.

The part of FFX's voice acting.... people should.... focus on.... is the random... pauses in the.... middle of sentences.... because they.... had to match the.... Japanese lip sync....
His Japanese laugh made him sound like a goose or something, which was what I failed to mention.

Minato

穏やかじゃない

As much as I hate region locking, it does hurt sales. There's two cases where it does. One is where people import from Japan. Suppose it's a niche title and the company do decide to finally put the cost into localizing and advertising it, the majority of the importers won't buy two copies of the same game. The other is the issue with reverse importing like what Persona 4 Arena and the Animation tried to stop. Japan's yen is stronger than the US, so some people would consider buying the US version because it's a lot cheaper.
There's a few issues with this. One is that they don't want to put time into translating a game that was meant for Japanese players. The other problem (which is for localized games), is that they'd have to pay the Japanese VAs so the game has dual audio. The third issue is disc space for most consoles not PS3.

That always bugged me. I remember thinking that FFX's VAing used to be really awful. After replaying it, it's still not great, but it's pretty good considering they had to lip sync to the Japanese mouth movement like you said.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I got the whole cost thing from what Wezai said. Yeah, because of differing values with currency and various taxes that importing can go through I can see why companies would want to disable people from doing that

Importing can lead to various frauds as well if people start doing it en masse

finalark

SNORLAX
As much as I hate region locking, it does hurt sales. There's two cases where it does. One is where people import from Japan. Suppose it's a niche title and the company do decide to finally put the cost into localizing and advertising it, the majority of the importers won't buy two copies of the same game. The other is the issue with reverse importing like what Persona 4 Arena and the Animation tried to stop. Japan's yen is stronger than the US, so some people would consider buying the US version because it's a lot cheaper.
I understand now. I've never imported or put much thought into it so none of that ever occurred to me. As you said, if they decide to localize a niche title the people who want it already have it and wouldn't buy a second copy. Plus there's the strength of currency to consider, ect.

That always bugged me. I remember thinking that FFX's VAing used to be really awful. After replaying it, it's still not great, but it's pretty good considering they had to lip sync to the Japanese mouth movement like you said.
I think the reason why people say its bad is because of the huge jump in VA quality when you go from 10 to nearly and other game that came after.

Top Bottom