• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Which is probably why they are doing that general idea with the wii-u but enhancing it. Especially the fact that with the wii-u the screen isn't connected to the other which can increase the amount of options they can do with it.

Add in motion controls and the fact it can act like the skylander portral thing and download information from figures, or other things depending on what they do with it.

It gives them a lot of potential for unique games

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Exactly. To be honest, I think Nintendo has the right idea. They try thinking of new ways for us that changes how we experience and interact with games. Sadly, the right idea isn't the most popular one.

:phone:
Someday the industry will reach a certain point where games cannot have their potential improved any further to make a big difference. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will be sitting around with video games of the same caliber.

I think companies will have to innovate or else they will fail, because games by then will only go so far if they are creative. Or if we have revolutionized ways of playing games. And that is where Nintendo does best, they aren't afraid of trying new things.

Wii U proof of that. It's basically a console where everything good Nintendo learnt from previous consoles and handheld generations are packed together in one controller. It is promising.

Sony was leading before because they always had the cheapest console (everybody could afford), it doesn't matter if their consoles were always the weakest of their generation, they were AFFORDABLE. So game developers were willing to stick with it and pushed the PS1 and PS2 to be ones of the best consoles ever. Then Sony had some sort of identity crisis, and made the PS3 the most powerful console of this generation, being also the most expensive (for good 5 years or so, it was the least sold console of this generation). I don't know how sales picked up to date.

I can't say anything about Microsoft because I didn't own a Xbox 1, but I do own a Xbox 360. Also, can't say anything because they are fairly new in the console gaming industry (only 2 generations of consoles so far, no dedicated gaming handhelds and etc).

And what I know about Nintendo is that it doesn't matter if they have the cheapest or most expensive, weakst or most powerful console, they are always trying to innovate. Sometimes it is bad (virtual boy, power glove, R.O.B, N64 not having discs [arguable], GC having diff disc format than a normal dvd and etc), but sometimes it is good (Seal of approval [which saved the gaming industry], Rumble Pack, d-pad, shoulder buttons, popularizing portable gaming, applying dual-screen in handheld, applying gyroscope to a handheld and a joystick and etc). So yeah, doesn't matter the occasion, Nintendo tries to differentiate itself from others, which attracts consumers simply because they know they will get something new in return.

About games, Nintendo have first-party goodness. I mean, look at Super Mario Galaxy, maybe the best platformer of all times. Yet, nobody tried to copy its formula simply because they are too shy to do so. Nobody wants to take that kind of risk. So I have everything to believe that the Wii U will be a success, at least it will be meaningful and bring the competition to have higher standards. ^__^

§leepy God

Smash Master
I wouldn't call Super Mario Galaxy the best platformer of all time, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best platformer of all time. :D

I wouldn't mind seeing an HD remake of the two Galaxys, but not anytime soon.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The best platform is Donkey Kong Country 2

-

I really don't see what people saw in Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Galaxy 1 felt like a more complete game

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There's just too many variables to see through. Everything from cultural impact, revenue generated, critical acclaim, user acclaim, gameplay, etc.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's universally accepted that Super Mario Bros 3 was the best platformer of all time
-

I'm really not sure if people DO know what the Wii-U is.

I work at a store doing layaway and wii's are selling pretty good.

What kid is going to be excited getting a wii for Christmas when the wii-u will be a hot selling toy this Christmas season?

...Maybe it's because people don't know about it.

Naming it wii-u was a fail on their part, I truly believe. I thought it was just a new controller for the wii when I saw the first video of it. It never showed the system in the video

finalark

SNORLAX
I think it's universally accepted that Super Mario Bros 3 was the best platformer of all time
I don't know why people say Mario 3 was so good, IMO Super Mario World is miles above it.

Naming it wii-u was a fail on their part, I truly believe. I thought it was just a new controller for the wii when I saw the first video of it. It never showed the system in the video
At E3 I thought it was just a controller for the Wii as well. I know they're trying to rely off of the Wii name to get units sold but they should have named it something that made the fact that its a new console clearer. Like Wii 2 or Super Wii or something like that. I actually remember rumors when it still called Project Cafe that it would be the UNES, the Ultimate Nintendo Entertainment System.

Alternatively, they could have just shown us what the damn machine looks like instead of focusing on their eternal fixation on gimmicks.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well, we have known for awhile what the machine looks like, but Nintendo has made the controller take the stage.

finalark

SNORLAX
Well, we have known for awhile what the machine looks like, but Nintendo has made the controller take the stage.

That's the issue. People who aren't that into video games pretty much have no idea that the Wii U is a new console at first glance. Hell, even those of us who are into video games didn't get that at first. I, along with many others, thought it was just a new controller for the Wii when it was announced at E3. I watched that entire conference and I had to go onto IGN just to see what the actually console looked like.

I really think that's what I, and many others I know, felt like the Wii U announcement was very underwhelming.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
That's the issue. People who aren't that into video games pretty much have no idea that the Wii U is a new console at first glance. Hell, even those of us who are into video games didn't get that at first. I, along with many others, thought it was just a new controller for the Wii when it was announced at E3. I watched that entire conference and I had to go onto IGN just to see what the actually console looked like.

I really think that's what I, and many others I know, felt like the Wii U announcement was very underwhelming.
I guess I was one of the few who got the memo then. =P

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't because I woke up late that day.

They have those conferences too early. I don't like waking up before noon if I don't have to.

I just searched for the video, and all the video showed was the controller

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Nothing good happens before noon. If you're waking up before that it's literally because you have to.
Exactly. After lunch time is usually when most cool random stuff happens and when I hang out with friends if I am free. Nothing good happens before noon simply because good things happen during the night. :D

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Nothing good happens before noon. If you're waking up before that it's literally because you have to.
BS. Waffles happens before noon. What more could you want? Now then, it is proven fact that nothing good ever happens after 2am.

finalark

SNORLAX
BS. Waffles happens before noon. What more could you want? Now then, it is proven fact that nothing good ever happens after 2am.

I make waffles whenever I feel like eating them, regardless of time of day.

Do not try to eat breakfast, that is impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth. There is no breakfast.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, the only reason why I might get a Wii U this year is because of the hope that Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge is good. Other than that, the only others I do want (Bayonetta 2 and SSB4) are far off.

Going to wait to get the 32 GB when available since pre-orders are sold out.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Only games I want to play are Rayman Legends, New Super Mario bros U, Tank Tank Tank...

I think that's it

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think Zombie U is gonna be a good game, but I just have no interest in survival horror.

Doesn't matter, still selling 2 Wii U's when I get them opening day.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'm gonna do what I do with all new consoles at give it a year to get a line up that actually interests me.

God knows there's rarely anything worth your time at launch.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 wouldn't even get a look at my Top 10 platform games of all time.

I may also have to get a Wii U just for Ninja Gaiden.

Although the last one was really disappointing.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Lol, since people are only nitpicking on that comment I made about Super Mario Galaxy "maybe" being the best platformer of all times, then I'm assuming they have no objection on my other arguments in that post as well? :|

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I would actually put Mario 64 above Galaxy in terms of innovation and relevance. Mario 64 wrote the book on modern day platforming, and Galaxy is one of the many many games that are derived from the groundwork that SM64 laid down.

finalark

SNORLAX

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I would actually put Mario 64 above Galaxy in terms of innovation and relevance. Mario 64 wrote the book on modern day platforming, and Galaxy is one of the many many games that are derived from the groundwork that SM64 laid down.
Oh, without a doubt; all 3D platformers have Super Mario 64 to thank. Mario Galaxy was innovative for its gravity-based physics, but that's it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Oh, without a doubt; all 3D platformers have Super Mario 64 to thank. Mario Galaxy was innovative for its gravity-based physics, but that's it.

Honestly, I don't like Judging games like this. Sure, something can be innovative but as time goes by those innovations become less and less impressive as newer games do the same thing only better.

But if you're gonna ask which game had a bigger impact Mario 64 beats out Galaxy. Galaxy is pretty much just Mario 64 in space.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Honestly, I don't like Judging games like this. Sure, something can be innovative but as time goes by those innovations become less and less impressive as newer games do the same thing only better.

But if you're gonna ask which game had a bigger impact Mario 64 beats out Galaxy. Galaxy is pretty much just Mario 64 in space.
Uhh, what.

yeah, that's what innovation is. if games are doing "the same thing but better", then that's not innovation. I don't think innovation = quality but it's basically a fact that SM64 is more innovative than, say, Mario Galaxy 2, even if Mario Galaxy 2 controls better/looks better/better level design etc

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Ah I see. Yeah I agree there. It's similar to the ol OoT is the best game ever discussion where its defenders often kinda ignore that the game has been soundly surpassed in every aspect by various games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Ah I see. Yeah I agree there. It's similar to the ol OoT is the best game ever discussion where its defenders often kinda ignore that the game has been soundly surpassed in every aspect by various games.
This is why I believe that there can never truly be a "greatest game ever." No matter how innovative a title is future games will improve upon those innovations to the point where a once outstandingly original game will suddenly feel ancient. This doesn't even take that long to happen.

For instance, if you haven't played Resident Evil 4 yet give it a go and wonder why people were flipping out over QTEs and and clunky over-the-shoulder shooting seven years ago.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I still consider RE4 great. I in fact started a playthrough of it again just yesterday. I actually feel the RE series is a great example of how not to build on past innovations. RE4 completely changed the series then RE5 and 6 have slowly been taking those changes and making them significantly worse. It's like the opposite of SMario Galaxy.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Third Party Wii-U Controller
looks kinda awesome. I usually really dislike the design of 3rd party things

Edit: YES, I finally got my Hanafuda cards from Club Nintendo. Just ordered them.

They were sold out for the longest time

Top Bottom