• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Wait for Wii U since October 22nd.

Realize that there's nothing to play on it at launch.
ZombiU
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Assassin's Creed III
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Mass Effect 3

--

And then your old Wii games. It may not upscale them, but using an HDMI through Brawl? Sweet.

And then the little titles here and there for other regions of gamers like the family people and work-out people or whatevs.

WiiU's NA launch line-up is bigger then Japan's, by over twice the amount. I'm not gonna get all those games, but there's something for everyone really. "CoD's always been a PS3/360 game!" S'not like they're making a limited version like the Wii version of Modern Warfare 3 as far as graphics go.

"Assassin's Creed has always been a Sony/Microsoft/PC game." Yup. And now we've got the WiiU to give it a spin on.

--

Not pointing those at you, but as an example of objections to the line-up. It's never a bad thing that third party is supported more, but at least we have some solid games from Nintendo in the line-up, AND in the upcoming launch window.

That and think about it here. If we got Mario, Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, StarFox and all that in the launch window, that wouldn't be smart. Make the WiiU make a killing at first, but exhaust all your resources. What do you do next? I know the Wii's selection on more intense titles was more scarce, but first we got Twilight Princess. Then we got the likes of Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario, the sports titles, etc.

Thing is? They were spread out. Perhaps a little TOO far inbetween when focusing on printing money with families, but yeah.

I'd be more up for just getting Mario at launch, enjoy that for a while and go through some other titles. And then get fed the next big thing. It keeps my interest in the console high and also prevents me from just playing everything immediately and overloading myself, when suddenly there's nothing left afterwards and...then what happens?

--

tl;dr

Launch line-ups can be mediocre all they want, so long as I get SOME good titles at the launch. Don't exhaust your resources. Even then, the line-up is pretty ****ing awesome for WiiU as is imo.

/good cop

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Third party games are moot, given they are already available on other consoles. Doesn't warrant another console purchase.

Sonic All-Stars? Really? Really dude? Those games are the biggest cash grabs, and the gameplay is horrid in all of those type of games.

The only two that stick out are New Super Mario Bros (but that may be old and done), and ZombiU.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Idk, Ninja Gaiden 3 stands out to me. I've always been a huge fan of the series and 3 being the massive disappointment it was, hearing that they basically rebuilt the entire game from the ground up to not be *** anymore has me pretty hype.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Third party games are moot, given they are already available on other consoles. Doesn't warrant another console purchase.

Sonic All-Stars? Really? Really dude? Those games are the biggest cash grabs, and the gameplay is horrid in all of those type of games.

The only two that stick out are New Super Mario Bros (but that may be old and done), and ZombiU.
They still push a console, regardless of what they're on. Maybe some people are like me and genuinely like that they're taking what's established with the game and giving us something more diverse with something like the gamepad? Ever thought about being a bit more adventurous? Or are you just afraid of change?

And why jab me for mentioning Sonic All-Stars? Cash grab? ... SUPER MARIO BROS.

Smash Bros. being a reason for some people to pick up the WiiU later. Cash grab. Your accusation of a racing game like Sonic is baseless on the account that everyone has a reason for getting a game, and that's the point of making a game. People can enjoy it, AND YOU'RE GRABBING CASH. If you're not trying to make money, why the hell would you be in the Video Game industry?

[EDIT]

Oh, and let me ask you something. Let's flip the situation. And this IS going off the assumption that you own a PS3 or 360.

Let's say one of those was getting released, but we weren't getting hot titles like Arkham City or Assassin's Creed III, or Mass Effect 3, list some hot cash titles. If none of those were available for your console, would you still get it?

3rd Party does matter and adds the meat onto the backbone which is our 1st Party launch titles, and to give an example? Take away the third party support and what do we get for WiiU? ...pretty much ****. There's Mario and Zelda, but what about the people that wanted to assassinate someone on their new console? People still bought Resident Evil 4 for the Wii even after it was released on GameCube. It's released on one console already, so why get it on another? One, maybe somebody doesn't already have it.

It's all your opinion in if you're interested in the WiiU or not. You may have some of those 3rd party titles already and some are still getting released. I get it and respect that much.

But it's a little unfair to give third parties the cold shoulder and say they don't mean anything just because they're already available on something else.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They still push a console, regardless of what they're on. Maybe some people are like me and genuinely like that they're taking what's established with the game and giving us something more diverse with something like the gamepad? Ever thought about being a bit more adventurous? Or are you just afraid of change?
Never said I was afraid of change. I'm just justifying the fact that if the majority of "hardcore" gamers own a 360 or PS3, and they already content with games that are already out such as AC3, ME3, etc, why justify paying 300 dollars for a system when you have one that releases the exact same games? It's great that the Wii U is getting third party games, but it's only great towards Nintendo Fanboys who refused to buy a PS3 or 360 for whatever reason. It wouldn't surprise me if they scoffed at games like AC3 or ME for lacking that 'Nintendo' substance. However, now that it's on Nintendo, it's the greatest thing in the world to happen.
And why jab me for mentioning Sonic All-Stars? Cash grab? ... SUPER MARIO BROS.
I agree, all spin offs of the Mario series are cash grabs. But so are games like Sonic at the Olympics or Mario vs Sonic. Whatever those games are called that I could care less for.

Smash Bros. being a reason for some people to pick up the WiiU later. Cash grab. Your accusation of a racing game like Sonic is baseless on the account that everyone has a reason for getting a game, and that's the point of making a game. People can enjoy it, AND YOU'RE GRABBING CASH. If you're not trying to make money, why the hell would you be in the Video Game industry?
Smash Bros is NOT a cash grab. When you release a game ONCE per console, how do you refer it to as a cash grab? Hell, so far Smash Bros has not even pulled a Street Fighter where they release "Super Duper, I <3 You Edition" for 50 dollars. Plenty of work and time is put into it to ensure it's a premium quality game. It's a top notch game that has earned respect by critics and gamers alike to warrant a "push" to purchase a console.

I think you are mistaking my definition of a cash grab, which looks at games like Mario Olympics, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Soccer, Mario Teaches You How To Do Sit Ups, etc.

Of course everyone has a reason for getting a console because of "that" game. But if that's the only game you are getting for, then that's pretty sad IMO. It's one thing to know there are a bunch of games now you can't wait to get your hands on, it's another to buy the console for one game, play that game, and then sit and wait as your Wii U collects dust.

For example, I don't own a 3DS, mainly because Layton vs Phoenix Wright isn't out yet. However, it's not like there are other games out that I know I'd enjoy and play. I'm just looking at the fact that maybe the 3DS will drop in price by the time that game comes out. The games I want will be at a cheaper price. All in all, I will have plenty of games to play when I do acquire my 3DS, because there are all these other games to check out as well.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I wouldnt bank on the 3DS dropping in price any time soon. It's going pretty much uncontested in terms of competition since the Vita is selling so poorly.

That said Im kind of the opposite of you. I bought my 3DS because there were a few specific games i wanted that would come out in the future(Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion, among other) but also because despite wanting it specifically for those games I knew there was other good stuff out there I could play while waiting for them. I feel like it's better to have the option to play those games whenever I want rather than waiting for later as it's entirely possible that I will never buy/play them later.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
@ theeboredone

Read everything you said on that one, sorry I had to edit. :p

And for me, I'm also not saying that just because it's on Nintendo it's the hottest **** ever. I'm interested in CoD: Black Ops 2 on the WiiU, but realistically? Until I discover how the online works properly, XBox 360 and PC, imo, are the way to go because of the liberty given on how you meet and face others online.

Ultimately, if Nintendo got a buncha 3rd Party titles that were only on that console, people would (and do) ***** about it; lookit Bayonetta 2. The Nintendo gamers that get their main titles are wondering "Could I maybe try Assassin's Creed III on this? That'd be awesome." BAM! They get it.

Disclaimer; I've got Arkham City, don't plan on getting the WiiU version, but there's plenty of games on that line-up in WiiU I didn't get on other platforms or they just weren't released yet. I just think it's wrong to criticize a console's line-up because it exists on something else. That's the fault of those lovely developers who made such awesome games in the first place, and with not much to lose with the new gamers, Nintendo fans or gamers in general get a crack at games they either might know, or never tried before.

Not because of some "we're nintendo. it's not nintendo. now it's on nintendo. it's now nintendo."

In a way though, I can agree and disagree about some of the games being dubbed "cash grabs" in a way. There's appeal in something like Mario Tennis because...hey. Sports titles are just some people's cup of tea. Let's throw Mario in it and make it quirky and fun! There's games we like and don't like, but it does seem somewhat disrespectful to some of those titles that can bring joy to those that invest in it.

--

My perspective on this whole subject is, I see Nintendo's launch line-up and see, "Sweet! Mario! Nintendo Land is a fun concept with friends. This'll be awesome. Oh what's this? Epic Mickey with a gamepad? Zombies? ... I could map things out in Assassin's Creed III in this version? New way of sniping in CoD? There's some pretty cool ideas here. ...oh they were released on other consoles first? ... so? Can't do this kinda **** on a regular controller! I'll give it a shot."

My answer is ultimately optimistic, new or old games alike.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Problem is with these third party games, these "gamepad" features don't really warrant a console purchase. I mean, really? You think in competitive CoD play, someone is gonna use the gamepad to snipe when the quickest and efficient way is to just use the controller? What about mapping things out in AC3? It just comes off as super gimmicky. Really, only ZombiU impresses me with the way they use the gamepad. Everything else feels forced.

All I'm saying is, while the launch is impressive from a game perspective, unless you have never owned a 360 or PS3, the lineup just drops in quality and comes off as one of those "I'd rather wait" sort of deals.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
And that is the power of opinions there. And I can respect that. You think it's gimmicky, I think it's a cool idea.

No different from a scenario like Twilight Princess, "point at the screen to shoot an arrow. seems gimmicky."

"I can point at the screen with grapple claws? sounds great!"

Different perspectives in the end, I guess. Not much else that can be said about it. Only problem with the titles is, yes, if you owned them before, no need to get them. Not enough to get the WiiU? Wait. That's fine and dandy. But for anyone who hasn't picked those games up (and some hardcore gamers maybe just go all out in Battlefield 3, or play JRPGs and branched out into Assassin's Creed), that shouldn't make them any less important a title on the WiiU compared to their 360/PS3 brethren.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Well, I am buying two Wii U's on launch date. I am just planning on selling them back right away each for 150-200 higher than retail. It's gonna be a hot holiday item and might as well make that extra cash.

On top of that, Best Buy Rewards Zone + Chase Freedom 5% back = $22 back in terms of points per console.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's interesting though. I wanted to try and find out if others were doing that. I did, and there was a whole thread dedicated to whether it was morally acceptable of...

1. Buying extra consoles so other fans could not get one.
2. Reselling it back to someone who wants it for a super charged price.

Obviously you can argue both ways in terms of morals, but I figure if someone is willing to pay that much for an item, then why should I be blamed for taking advantage of it?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I am a hardcore gamer but I have a busy life most of the time, although I own a Xbox 360 I didn't have the opportunity to play any game of the Mass Effect series. But I heard it was coming to the Wii U, it suddenly got me interested. I'm playing ME1 right now, cool game. I don't think I'll have time to play ME2, so it seems like I'll have to use the interactive comic to play it. So it's a perfect opportunity to me.

I beat both AC1 and AC2, and I'll be playing AC3 on Wii U. I mean, why not wait for it so I get to use the mini-map and use the new GamePad to enjoy it (specially if it is as light as people say it is). It's not like I will die or anything if I wait to get it later in a few weeks.

Anyway, as for games that I am interested and I am more likely to buy in the launch-date are:

NSMBU;
AC3;
ME3;
Scribblenauts;
ZombieU;
Nintendo Land;
FIFA 13 (I still play FIFA 12 sometimes, but mostly I've been playing PES);
Sing Party.

Then in the launch window there are games that I want such as Rayman Legends and Pikimin 3 specially. I doubt I will have beaten or played enough all the launch lineup titles before I can get my hands in these 2. But that is just the beginning.

Note that I am interested in buying some indie games as well which aren't in the list. So it's a lot! The eShop will have great games too like Little Inferno, Toki Tori 2 and Cloudberry Kingdom.

So yeah, I will be a lot satisfied that I know for sure! :)

By the way, does anyone know if we will be able to get apps for the Wii U such as drawing tools and other things? I love that kind of software, and that guy drawing the TP Link on the GamePad just makes me drool. DO WANT!

Edit: About buying & selling morals: There is no such thing as moral, we don't live in communism. Capitalism runs wild. If you have that much money to invest, then why not? Fans won't be left without a console, sooner or later they will get one, despite them paying the original price or higher. We can talk about morals maybe if there are people with cancer in the terminal phase wanting to play the Wii U. But I doubt they are.

I am a Nintendo fan, I couldn't get my hands on the Wii so soon because of the lack of stocks and people were buying loads just to re-sell it for a higher price. It didn't hurt me lol, I got one eventually even though it was a few months after.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It's interesting though. I wanted to try and find out if others were doing that. I did, and there was a whole thread dedicated to whether it was morally acceptable of...

Obviously you can argue both ways in terms of morals, but I figure if someone is willing to pay that much for an item, then why should I be blamed for taking advantage of it?
This makes you and the others look like an *** either way, lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Honestly, if you want the Wii U that bad, you should keep up with the news and pre-order one ahead of time. It's like those people who walk into a store everyday asking if the Iphone 5 is in stock. No, you should have preordered one. Now you have to wait months on end to get one.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Or you can get them on Black Friday pretty damn early at game stop if they're available.

Per-ordering online is the same as people running to get one when it starts, so I don't see the difference there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We had many people buy multiple consoles and planning on selling them.

That was a lot of the people that preordered wii-u's.

They said they are selling them for $1000

C.SDK

Smash Ace

There was a power outage where I live not too long ago and people started stocking up on food/ice. A lot of stores started charging like 5 bucks for a bag of ice. A bag of ice, folks. Yeah, it's a legitimate business tactic, but it's still pretty scummy in the end.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Bags of ice are nearly $5 at Walmart here. Maybe a little less

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Bags of ice are nearly $5 at Walmart here. Maybe a little less
So because it's $5 at Walmart it's $5 everywhere else? XD

Keep in mind that because of the power outage, street lights didn't work so there was a lot of traffic. People will obviously only travel to local stores.

EDIT: I should've been clearer, but I'm talking about local stores and not big corporations like Walmart that were doing this. They have a lot more leeway with their pricing.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Well, I am buying two Wii U's on launch date. I am just planning on selling them back right away each for 150-200 higher than retail. It's gonna be a hot holiday item and might as well make that extra cash.

On top of that, Best Buy Rewards Zone + Chase Freedom 5% back = $22 back in terms of points per console.
Just a thought, but what if it turns out to be like the PS3 launch and you can literally just walk into random stores and buy them even after they come out?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
All I know is the deluxe models are sold out at all walmarts and gamestops in my area. I don't know about other places

Some are going to be released on Nov 18 for midnight release, and some on black friday, and some in December...but they aren't receiving much of them.

I don't think anyone online is going to pay high price for the regular wii u. I could be wrong though

wezai

Smash Journeyman
There was a power outage where I live not too long ago and people started stocking up on food/ice. A lot of stores started charging like 5 bucks for a bag of ice. A bag of ice, folks. Yeah, it's a legitimate business tactic, but it's still pretty scummy in the end.
Supply and Demand. Prices are prone to go up if there is a whole lot of people wanting that specific thing. The prices eventually stabilize. Then when there's no demand again and the supply is high, the prices will drop.

People who work in a store have to compete, they get their income to feed their families from selling things. Obviously when an opportunity shows up, they will snatch and try to make the most of it. We shouldn't blame them for that. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Depending on the circumstance you could call it exploitation as well

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Supply and Demand. Prices are prone to go up if there is a whole lot of people wanting that specific thing. The prices eventually stabilize. Then when there's no demand again and the supply is high, the prices will drop.

People who work in a store have to compete, they get their income to feed their families from selling things. Obviously when an opportunity shows up, they will snatch and try to make the most of it. We shouldn't blame them for that. :p
I know and I'm not arguing it's not a legitimate business/economic tactic. I'm just saying that under the right circumstances, it can be seen as kind of a low blow. When I was listening to the radio, the hosts were shocked as well. I dunno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Unless you are coming from the same place as the guy who saw local stores selling ice for a higher price, then I don't think it belongs to the context.
Well, the guy with the ice was related his comment to people selling Wii-U's for high prices online.

And I believe that's more exploitation than supply and demand.

Though they are supplying it for those that demand it, they are doing it at outrageous prices

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Well, the guy with the ice was related his comment to people selling Wii-U's for high prices online.

Though they are supplying it for those that demand it, they are doing it at outrageous prices
Exactly. Suppose a bag of ice was a dollar. A reasonable price increase would be a dollar or so because again, supply and demand. Let's say the new price is $2.50. Okay, not too shabby. However, it's a different story if the price rose to $5.00

That's just ridiculous :c

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I know and I'm not arguing it's not a legitimate business/economic tactic. I'm just saying that under the right circumstances, it can be seen as kind of a low blow. When I was listening to the radio, the hosts were shocked as well. I dunno.
If you were selling a product and you know a lot of people want to buy it no matter what happens and you have no competition, selling it for a cheap price would be a bad business conduct.

Same apply to ice. And unlike most food or electronics, marketers need to use electricity to actually maintain the ice. So it's like they are selling a product they made, it's more than fair to make their own price and give their own value to it. It's not like people can buy from another place or can make their own ice, right? Oh gee, they didn't spend thousands to buy their own generator, now they have to pay for something that can only be acquired from that place and the owner wants a little bit more since he is the only around who can make the ice. What a jerk! /sarcasm

Edit:

Now that can be considered an exploitation. But the demand is so high and the stocks are actually so low (as it seems). People are gonna offer more to have it, no matter what. They will come to people who legitimately bought it and say "ermm hmm, hey can I buy this from you? I'll pay more!". That is why there are people who actually buy to re-sell, because those desperate with money are gonna pay more either way, be it from a guy exploiting the system or a regular joe. :p

Well, that is what I believe, though. So don't quote me on this.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Okay, well let's just see how the public reacts when people rise their prices to an exhorbitant amount in light of Hurricane Sandy. Will a video game console keep you alive? No. When I talk about "under the right circumstances," I'm talking about the bare necessities – food, clothing, and shelter.

Ice is kind of important in the wake of a power outage because everyone's fridge is no longer working so a lot of food will perish. People increasing the prices higher than a reasonable price like I mentioned earlier is extremely scummy in my opinion.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that if the product at hand is not vital for someone's life under the circumstances of a natural disaster for example, then it's fair game I suppose. But still, even though we're talking about the Wii U here, I still kind of don't like that but I do accept supply and demand.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Okay, well let's just see how the public reacts when people rise their prices to an exhorbitant amount in light of Hurricane Sandy. Will a video game console keep you alive? No. When I talk about "under the right circumstances," I'm talking about the bare necessities – food, clothing, and shelter.

Ice is kind of important in the wake of a power outage because everyone's fridge is no longer working so a lot of food will perish. People increasing the prices higher than a reasonable price like I mentioned earlier is extremely scummy in my opinion.

So basically what I'm trying to say is that if the product at hand is not vital for someone's life under the circumstances of a natural disaster for example, then it's fair game I suppose. But still, even though we're talking about Wii U here, I still kind of don't like that but I do accept supply and demand.
Under those circumstances where things scarce and are important for survival, then people will value those things even more. Not the sellers, but the people who really need will actually value it. Be sure that if you don't offer a good amount of money if not even some goodies that you own, be sure that the next guy will, and he will end up with food and shelter instead of you. Storage owners are there and they will obviously profit, but not because they want, but because people are actually that desperate to pay more.

C.SDK

Smash Ace
Then that would be exploitation. I don't think too many people will deny buying highly priced food amidst of a natural disaster because the need for food is really high, but don't be surprised if that person feels like punching you in the face. It's just scummy, dude.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Then that would be exploitation. I don't think too many people will deny buying highly priced food amidst of a natural disaster because the need for food is really high, but don't be surprised if that person feels like punching you in the face. It's just scummy, dude.
Really, people are making their offers. It's more than likely that the storage owner will accept the offers of who is giving more money, specially that in a emergency situation this person won't have enough stock for everybody. So what is fair, using the first comes, first served law or the who is willing to value it even more should take it?

In the end, it's entirely subjective. I agree that there are a lot of exploitation, but there's also legitimate business models. It's hard to tell which is which as it may vary from person to person. And there's not enough information for people to actually judge what is exploitation or not in that kind of context. :p

I say, if I am competing to gather resources for my life, I am willing to value those things and do no matter what to acquire it. "Oh, X product is 10 bucks and I am the last in the line? I don't care, I will pay $20!" That's how most prices rise in value, although slowly. Those who sell don't notice right away the sudden emergency in prices unless they are really good traders.

Top Bottom