• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Ecks

Smash Lord
There aren't many differences between the two to be honest.

Wii version has motion controllers, is mirrored and supports widescreen, while GCN version has traditional controllers and the cstick controls the camera. In my opinion, the controls (including the cstick camera) where much better in WW, but that's just me.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I think that's better for Nintendo. They're better off being different than trying to be the most powerful.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's sort of a gift and curse. Nintendo is not a multi-layered company like Sony or MS. They don't have other markets or products to fall back on. While Nintendo does have a lot of money in the bank in case of a console failure, they still have to push themselves, because they solely rely on the video game market to make their money. Hence why they generally end up being the most "unique" of the 3.

finalark

SNORLAX
It's sort of a gift and curse. Nintendo is not a multi-layered company like Sony or MS. They don't have other markets or products to fall back on. While Nintendo does have a lot of money in the bank in case of a console failure, they still have to push themselves, because they solely rely on the video game market to make their money. Hence why they generally end up being the most "unique" of the 3.
Kinda makes you wonder how things would be if somehow Atari and SEGA were able to stick around.

On the offhand Nintendo pretty much not giving two ****s about making the WiiU particularly powerful is... not a good sign. Sure, its getting ALL THE PS360 PORTS right now but once Sony and MS **** out something new Nintendo is going to be behind on tech. Again.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kinda makes you wonder how things would be if somehow Atari and SEGA were able to stick around.

On the offhand Nintendo pretty much not giving two ****s about making the WiiU particularly powerful is... not a good sign. Sure, its getting ALL THE PS360 PORTS right now but once Sony and MS **** out something new Nintendo is going to be behind on tech. Again.
When has Nintendo not been behind technologically wise?

Let's not jump into conclusions yet.

Even though it will/could/might most likely happen.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Nintendo won't be THAT far behind in terms of hardware. At most, they'll only be behind by 20%, which isn't too bad.

:phone:

The number won't exceed 45%. That's what I know (Just expressing my thoughts).

The PS4 will feature eye popping 3D, Incredibly High Definition + Incredibly REAL REAL graphics to the point it looks creepy + Holographic graphics, 9999x9999 res, and.... the SAME controller used for the PS3. Numerous gamers will get their eyes burnt when playing for 10 minutes.

Serious talk : Is the PS4 gonna be basically a PS3 with enhanced graphics? (Same stuff, Different graphics in short)

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
If the PS4 is just an upgraded PS3, then it wouldn't be wise for a PS4. I believe a next console needs to have significant upgrades to make it its own.
We don't need a upgraded PS3. We need a PS4.

finalark

SNORLAX
When has Nintendo not been behind technologically wise?
I'm mostly thinking about how Nintendo insisted to clinging onto cartridges whenever everyone else had moved onto disks and the Wii. Plus Nintendo decided to use mini-disks instead of DVDs... I think they're just bad at formats.

If the PS4 is just an upgraded PS3, then it wouldn't be wise for a PS4. I believe a next console needs to have significant upgrades to make it its own.
We don't need a upgraded PS3. We need a PS4.

Technically the PS360 are an upgraded PS2 and Xbox, respectively.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I would have to disagree with you there. PS360 made enough advancements to be considered their own self. The gap between Xbox to 360 is pretty big, and the gap between PS2 to PS3 was even bigger.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Look at it this way: back in the day the PS2 was the weakest by a considerable amount, and now the PS3 is the strongest by a considerable amount.

If the PS4 is able to render 1080p 3D at 60fps, it'll probably be like 55% to 65% stronger than the WiiU. Personally, I doubt it'll be so over the top, but Sony's kinda crazy with this stuff.

When I think next gen, I think of Agni's Philosophy, Unreal Engine 4 and Watch Dogs. Maybe some will look at these and think to themselves "Oh, it doesn't really look that much better than some current gen games", which is true in a sense. The things to really improve here are interactions, effects, and other stuff that adds more realism. Good examples of this improvements are dynamic lighting as well as many other "real life-like" effects like depth of field (Pikmin 3 has a lot of this), more polygons that will allow for smoother and more precise/natural/realistic animations that actually interact with the world, which will likely be more complex and alive than ever before (see Watch Dogs).

I suppose higher textures, anti-alias and 1080p at 60fps are also good examples of realism, but who knows if next gen games will have such power (well, textures surely won't be a problem).

finalark

SNORLAX
I would have to disagree with you there. PS360 made enough advancements to be considered their own self. The gap between Xbox to 360 is pretty big, and the gap between PS2 to PS3 was even bigger.

True that. I don't know, I'm still worried that the Wii U will be significantly outclassed when next gen gets rolling. At least Nintendo is getting a ton of third party support, even if most of the console's library is PS360 ports. Almost to say, "sorry guys, here's all the games you missed out on while you were playing Wii."

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
True that. I don't know, I'm still worried that the Wii U will be significantly outclassed when next gen gets rolling. At least Nintendo is getting a ton of third party support, even if most of the console's library is PS360 ports. Almost to say, "sorry guys, here's all the games you missed out on while you were playing Wii."
Not really. The ports gives devs a chance to work with the wii u and understand how it works, and how they can use it. That way, when they make something more original, they can do a whole lot more with upcoming games.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not really. The ports gives devs a chance to work with the wii u and understand how it works, and how they can use it. That way, when they make something more original, they can do a whole lot more with upcoming games.

Indeed. I'm excited to see what the devs do with the touch screen. You know, when you think about it the WiiU is like a giant DS.

Indeed. I'm excited to see what the devs do with the touch screen. You know, when you think about it the WiiU is like a giant DS.
Yeah. It's a funny thought but also a sad thought for some reason. The only difference is dual sticks, 4 shoulder buttons and NFC plus more unrevealed things developers keep saying.

Still, we know the DS was a big success both in satisfying gamers and selling so, I are excited too.

RUMOR ALERT

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
If it is really cheap and it has more than just Smash Bros. in the next few years, then maybe.

I don't see the WiiU as a next gen console. It's power seems like current gen and a lot of mechanics shown don't require a second screen in you or your friend's hands.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Like any console, I tend to wait a price drop or two before purchasing it anyways. Gives time to work out any bugs and let games come out to boot.

finalark

SNORLAX
Like any console, I tend to wait a price drop or two before purchasing it anyways. Gives time to work out any bugs and let games come out to boot.
I tend to do that too. Generally it takes about a year or so for enough good games to come out to warrant a purchase. At launch all the games are either games I already own or have no interest in.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
If it is really cheap and it has more than just Smash Bros. in the next few years, then maybe.

I don't see the WiiU as a next gen console. It's power seems like current gen and a lot of mechanics shown don't require a second screen in you or your friend's hands.
Even if the Wii U doesn't start out cheap, it will have price drops eventually, especially if it doesn't sell that well at first.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm sure I'm getting Nintendo's console at some point during this next generation.

I'll probably either get XBOX or Playstation depending on how they change/ upgrade.

Problem with playstation is the only games I'm interested in seem to be Little big planet (Never played it, it just looks interesting) and JRPG's (Which not very many came out last gen, except FF's I wasn't interested in)

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I'm sure I'm getting Nintendo's console at some point during this next generation.

I'll probably either get XBOX or Playstation depending on how they change/ upgrade.

Problem with playstation is the only games I'm interested in seem to be Little big planet (Never played it, it just looks interesting) and JRPG's (Which not very many came out last gen, except FF's I wasn't interested in)
You're missing out on WAY too many games.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Games I probably wouldn't finish anyway.

For some reason I haven't been able to get too much into games. I use my 3DS because it's portable, and my computer. But my consoles have been going to waste recently

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Games I probably wouldn't finish anyway.

For some reason I haven't been able to get too much into games. I use my 3DS because it's portable, and my computer. But my consoles have been going to waste recently
I'm the opposite. My 3DS is collecting dust as I wait for KH to come out, and I just got a 360 to play my 360 games again, so my attention has been towards console gaming recently.

Top Bottom