• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Isn't that a bit extreme? Achievements aren't that important are they?

:phone:
Achievements extend the replay value of a game by months sometimes even years. Nintendo doesn't really have a plan for achievements they rather leave that up to the the developers which isn't very smart to me.

finalark

SNORLAX
Achievements extend the replay value of a game by months sometimes even years. Nintendo doesn't really have a plan for achievements they rather leave that up to the the developers which isn't very smart to me.
IMO Achievements are the laziest form of replay value ever. Developers could add in hidden or bonus content for people who finished the game already but want to keep playing. But instead they just slap achievements onto the game and call it a day.

That's not to say there's no optional content these days, I've just noticed a sharp decline in it. Most games rely on multiplayer to keep you hooked but that's not going to mean much once their servers are taken down.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
People seem to forget how games tend to be extended prior to achievements. Replaying the game with handicaps, or simply discovering new parts of the game such as sidequests, story elements, etc.

Developers have just gotten lazy in doing that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's artificially extending replay value

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I remember back in the day when OOT had no achievements, yet it was my most played single-player game ever. Why? Because we will always have a valuable replay factor to a game if quality content is put into it. I prefer that over any form of "artificial replay" as PsychoIcarnate commented.

Honestly, over 90% of my Xbox 360 games have stupid achievements (maybe because the developers are forced to make them, so they just put whatever **** they come with because that was never planned nor put resources into). In fact, they are not even achievements to begin with, they are some crap put together that's supposed to mean something to the player, when in fact, to me it doesn't.

I have to agree, though, that some games make a nice usage of achievements. And that is why Nintendo is right when they leave it to the developers to decide whether they want achievements in their games or not. Because when they have great ideas that they think will be awesome as achievements, they will put them in the game. If they don't have interesting ideas, they might skip it altogether, so we don't have to deal with BS achievement popping up in our screens because we died for the first time in the game AND THAT'S AN ACHIEVEMENT? Oh well...

finalark

SNORLAX
People seem to forget how games tend to be extended prior to achievements. Replaying the game with handicaps, or simply discovering new parts of the game such as sidequests, story elements, etc.

Developers have just gotten lazy in doing that.
If achievements encouraged people to replay their games with certain handy caps or other conditions they would be better. For instance, why not include achievements for completing the game in under a certain amount or time? Or maybe an achievement for killing no enemies except for mandatory ones? People already like to do that so why not give them a way to show they actually did it?

IMO the one thing about achievements that I like is that they're a good way to see if someone is bull****ting you about finishing a game.

Except for in cases when that last trophy doesn't register. According to my PSN I never finished Drake's Fortune or Infamous.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I find it funny how Metal Gear Solid 4 has in-game achievements, and now they're talking about how they want to patch it for Trophies after how many years?

finalark

SNORLAX
Its exactly like the GameCube only instead of a black background they opted for blue.

Doesn't really bother me. Although I'll admit I'm more of a fan of the Wii's box design.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Looks all right, remembers me of the GameCube covers. Doesn't look anywhere near amazing, though. Maybe that's because I haven't grown fond of it yet or maybe because that yellow part doesn't match anything else about the video game itself, the Wii U brand, the Nintendo logo and etc. I think that white, would look better.

Although, nothing really changes about the Wii U, its games and my craving to play it. I think they might tweak it a bit, unless this is the final version and period?

Edit: Taking a second look at it, it does look kinda cheap. Let's wait and see what happens.

Edit 2: Unless that color below the blue can be chosen by the game developers about what they want their game to go with? And Ubisoft just wanted theirs to be yellow? One can only hope... :p

Edit 3: Or Nintendo is just testing the public reaction (as neither Ubisoft or Nintendo made any announcement about it yet), and want feedback before they definitely decide how their covers will be.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I think the box art is fine. As for EA, they're just butthurt that Nintendo saw that they were being greedy and said "no". Honestly, if EA refuses to support Nintendo that much because of that, then whatever; I'm sure Nintendo can manage just fine without EA's full support.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I had no plans to buy EA products on the wii-u anyway

finalark

SNORLAX
I think the box art is fine. As for EA, they're just butthurt that Nintendo saw that they were being greedy and said "no". Honestly, if EA refuses to support Nintendo that much because of that, then whatever; I'm sure Nintendo can manage just fine without EA's full support.
Honestly, Nintendo will be missing out on a lot of games with dropped EA support. But that's okay, people who buy Nintendo consoles tend to be interested in playing Nintendo games.

Besides, what you be really missing out on? Dead Space 3: Once You've Played the First Level You've Basically Played the Whole Game and Madden 14: $60 DLC.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They said they are making BF4 for the Wii U, or at least will try to get it done. It's not like they won't miss out on future installments of Madden, NCAA, or Dead Space. Big games like these are easy money for both sides.

And I like how you guys are nonchalantly blowing off these games not being system sellers. Madden 08 on the Wii by the end of December was only 100k sales behind the PS3 version (600 k vs 500 k).

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20434

But uh yeah, you know...I guess 500k copies sold isn't a big deal. Nintendo-fanboys just continue to be two-faced everywhere I look (not talking about here).

"Oh, we're getting Mass Effect 3! Now PS3 and 360 won't have anything over us and we will reign supreme with all these good games!"

"Oh, we're not getting BF3? Who cares? It's just another FPS! We only buy Nintendo games anyways."

finalark

SNORLAX
For me no EA support isn't a big deal simply because I can just get any EA games I want on PS3 or PC.

On the offhand, a little history lesson. Among many of the other issues plaguing the Dreamcast EA's refusal to support the console is considered by some one of the reasons why the console didn't succeed. Honestly, I don't feel like Nintendo really needs EA that badly due to the support of many other companies plus their in-house titles. And honestly, if Sony and Microsoft refuse to support EA's little Steam wannabe I can see them resuming Wii U support.

Anyway, back to my original point. Dreamcast didn't have EA support and lost out on a lot of titles. Food for thought.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Then again the Dreamcast was doomed from the start due to the Playstation 2 being released a few years later. Even if the Dreamcast did support EA, it wouldn't make much of a difference in the long run.

Morin0

Smash Lord
I remember back in the day when OOT had no achievements, yet it was my most played single-player game ever. Why? Because we will always have a valuable replay factor to a game if quality content is put into it. I prefer that over any form of "artificial replay" as PsychoIcarnate commented.
What if taking the mushroom to the old lady in the potion shop in time before it spoiled was an achievement?

"Mushroom's here! What? No tip?"

or if you somehow beat the running man

"wtf cheater"

wezai

Smash Journeyman
What if taking the mushroom to the old lady in the potion shop in time before it spoiled was an achievement?

"Mushroom's here! What? No tip?"

or if you somehow beat the running man

"wtf cheater"
When I brought her the mushroom without the time running up for the first time, I felt it was normal. Not that hard after you tried a few times. But when my mom got it (yes she loves Zelda), the day she got the mushroom there, she was in joy. Clearly it felt like an achievement to her.

My point is: We don't need the game to tell us we just achieved something. Because if the thing we did is good enough, we will remember it by a long time just by its complexity or challenging goals. Not everybody thinks alike, and each person on earth has a different sense of what is an achievement and what is not. I don't want a pop-up box to show up and tell me I won a race on F-Zero on its hardest level, not only that would be annoying as hell, but that is not anywhere near an achievement to me, for example.

Anyway, if a game is going to have achievements I wish they are not silly or done by a 7 years old kid who thinks that "adding your first friend to your on-line buddy list" is an achievement, "There, 50 pts to your profile for such phenomenal act, please do keep it up champs". -Dumb Achievement

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Lol "game and wario". I haven't looked up anything about the game, saw any previews, or seen any pictures.

But I'm afraid it's another wario ware microgames entry based on the fact that the game pad looks like a large game and watch. Where the minigames will be played on the pad and be really game and gimmicky. Something tells me it will be too silly for me to want to play, even though I like that series to some extent.

I could be completely wrong though. I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment.

Morin0

Smash Lord
When I brought her the mushroom without the time running up for the first time, I felt it was normal. Not that hard after you tried a few times. But when my mom got it (yes she loves Zelda), the day she got the mushroom there, she was in joy. Clearly it felt like an achievement to her.

My point is: We don't need the game to tell us we just achieved something. Because if the thing we did is good enough, we will remember it by a long time just by its complexity or challenging goals. Not everybody thinks alike, and each person on earth has a different sense of what is an achievement and what is not. I don't want a pop-up box to show up and tell me I won a race on F-Zero on its hardest level, not only that would be annoying as hell, but that is not anywhere near an achievement to me, for example.

Anyway, if a game is going to have achievements I wish they are not silly or done by a 7 years old kid who thinks that "adding your first friend to your on-line buddy list" is an achievement, "There, 50 pts to your profile for such phenomenal act, please do keep it up champs". -Dumb Achievement
That reminds me that I played a horror FPS game for the PC and unfortunately, it had achievements so you'd get a display of the achievement in-game and it really killed the mood/setting sometimes seeing as how it's "horror".

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
That reminds me that I played a horror FPS game for the PC and unfortunately, it had achievements so you'd get a display of the achievement in-game and it really killed the mood/setting sometimes seeing as how it's "horror".
Pretty sure you can turn those pop-ups off.

Gonna be the devil's advocate here.

Yeah, some Acheivements are dumb, but then again, if you don't care, then why should it bother you? Some people like Acheivements because some of them are challenging, and it gives them a goal to work towards. Other people don't need those goals, so they really don't care, and play the game however they feel like it. All in all, don't hate the Achievements, hate the player who are *****s over it. (Some Achievement hunters do it for the challenge, not because they are obsessed with gamerscore like the *****s are. To these people, I have some degree of respect, as they are still trying to play the game for what it is.)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Dumb achievements can also goad a person into playing more, because they feel good about themselves?

Honestly, whenever I get the most random trophy, my reaction is "WTH? Why? Whatever. lol." <--I guess that could be considered "feeling good about myself."

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Again, as I said, I don't have a problem with achievements if they are well done. I wouldn't have a problem either if I can turn them off from displaying in my screen.

Something that I hate about some achievements is that if they aren't well thought, they can ruin an on-line multiplayer match. Gladly I don't get to experience that because I barely even play on-line, all my multiplayers are local. But I am sure a lot of people go through that.

Is there a way to turn off achievements on my Xbox 360 btw? I never really played around the settings, I might do that later if I can.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Dumb achievements can also goad a person into playing more, because they feel good about themselves?

Honestly, whenever I get the most random trophy, my reaction is "WTH? Why? Whatever. lol." <--I guess that could be considered "feeling good about myself."
Eh, some people are like that. Like you, I'm like, oooo look, an Achievement? I'm sorry, but I believe I am all out of ****s to give.

Is there a way to turn off achievements on my Xbox 360 btw? I never really played around the settings, I might do that later if I can.
Yes, there is a way. I think you can find the option somewhere in your profile preferences.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Eh, some people are like that. Like you, I'm like, oooo look, an Achievement? I'm sorry, but I believe I am all out of ****s to give.

Yes, there is a way. I think you can find the option somewhere in your profile preferences.
Of course, it's annoying as hell. It's just like that damn MSN or Yahoo annoying friend who keeps logging in and logging out all the time, and his stupid logging in notification keeps popping up all the goddamn time. Then I have to go to options and alter how the notifications appear.

I wish I could disable achievements in Steam, I looked and there's no such option. Not that I am aware of?

I'll try that later on my Xbox too. ;)

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, same here. The game I mentioned was played through Steam.

Exactly. But this generation is all about giving meaningless achievements to players as "rewards" hoping they will like it and play their games even more, right? So I guess we are forced to deal with it if they don't want us to disable it in Steam. :/

Ahh, all I ask for are well-thought achievements. I want game developers to be smart and decide what could be considered an achievement, and when should it be displayed.

As the example you gave, survival horror games shouldn't notify you unlocked an achievement at all. You could check it later on your profile, sure. But as long as they don't pop-up in-game.

Imagine how funny, you have the lights off playing ZombieU, you are running for your life because you are running out of ammo. You manage to outrun the zombies, and just when you are "safe", there's an achievement pop-up: [bing bing] "I live for another day: Outrun a horde of zombies" [bing bing]

One day I was playing SC2 as Zerg, and since I was new there but actually learning pretty fast, there was a match that I opened like 3 or 4 achievements. And everytime I would read them, and for a few seconds get distracted from what I am doing. If I didn't get distracted and read those, I think I could focus more and win the match. Gladly, we are able to turn them off, so that's what I did after this match. <3

finalark

SNORLAX
Achievements themselves aren't bad. Its when developers decide to **** additional content and just tell you to do achievements for replay value.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
And I like how you guys are nonchalantly blowing off these games not being system sellers. Madden 08 on the Wii by the end of December was only 100k sales behind the PS3 version (600 k vs 500 k).

But uh yeah, you know...I guess 500k copies sold isn't a big deal. Nintendo-fanboys just continue to be two-faced everywhere I look (not talking about here).

"Oh, we're getting Mass Effect 3! Now PS3 and 360 won't have anything over us and we will reign supreme with all these good games!"

"Oh, we're not getting BF3? Who cares? It's just another FPS! We only buy Nintendo games anyways."
The thing is, Madden 08 wasn't a system seller. A "system seller", by the strictest definition of the term, is a game that gives a person reason to buy the system. Madden 08 sold a lot on the Wii because there happened to be a crap ton of Wii owners who decided to pick up Madden.

Achievements themselves aren't bad. Its when developers decide to **** additional content and just tell you to do achievements for replay value.
Even though I like the game, Bayonetta is a perfect example of this.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
In truth, no one game is a system seller. At least to me. I'm sorry, but if you're spending 300+ dollars for essentially one game that is out, then I question if you...

A. Know that money does not grow on trees.
B. Understand you'll be bored out of your mind once you're done with that game.

A collection of games = system seller.

Top Bottom