• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
It's funny how these people are saying the Wii U will fail when it hasn't even been released yet. They tried to say the same thing about the Wii, and look where the Wii went; it outsold the other consoles by miles. I can see their pessimism in terms of the Wii U being an inferior console, but in no way should they say the Wii U will bomb when Nintendo has yet to cut the umbilical cord on their system.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo will fail and become a software only company just like SEGA did eleven years ago! Because the Wii and DS were such massive failures and nobody bought either. Right, guize? RITE!?

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
8 million Wii U consoles, huh? Well, as long as the price is right and more affordable than the inevitable PS4/720, then yeah, I can see 8 million units, though I don't know if by March of 2013.

finalark

SNORLAX
8 million Wii U consoles, huh? Well, as long as the price is right and more affordable than the inevitable PS4/720, then yeah, I can see 8 million units, though I don't know if by March of 2013.
I've heard rumors floating around that it's going to be priced at around $300. I'm not entirely sure how true that is but it's a pretty fair price.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, if it's lower than $400, then I can live with that price. I mean, sure a price drop is inevitable at some point after its launch, but even then, anywhere between 300-400 dollars is still not as bad as it could be.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman

I completely agree this generation of gamers care about power not actually how much fun you can have with the machine.they want the the same thing over and over but yet they want innovation I mean even when they get powerful devices theyre to stingy to pay if its too expensive I mean look at the vita they say the 3ds is going to fail because of the vita now look what happened vita's failing

Oh well this short rant is over thank you for your time

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I agree with that article, I don't care about specs or anything I just care if the game itself is fun or not.

finalark

SNORLAX
I completely agree this generation of gamers care about power not actually how much fun you can have with the machine.
I'd just like to point out that obsession over a console's power is absolutely nothing new. The SEGA Genesis' marking campaign was based entirely off of how much more powerful it was than the NES. It even had "16-Bit High Definition Graphics" printed on the console itself to brag about its power.

Companies have been using graphics as a selling point for as long as there's been video games. You're not twelve anymore so its just more noticeable now.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd just like to point out that obsession over a console's power is absolutely nothing new. The SEGA Genesis' marking campaign was based entirely off of how much more powerful it was than the NES. It even had "16-Bit High Definition Graphics" printed on the console itself to brag about its power.

Companies have been using graphics as a selling point for as long as there's been video games. You're not twelve anymore so its just more noticeable now.
Don't forget the most obvious one...

Nintendo 64

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I completely agree this generation of gamers care about power not actually how much fun you can have with the machine.they want the the same thing over and over but yet they want innovation I mean even when they get powerful devices theyre to stingy to pay if its too expensive I mean look at the vita they say the 3ds is going to fail because of the vita now look what happened vita's failing

Oh well this short rant is over thank you for your time
What sort of people do you hang around? Sony fanboys? Because anyone outside those worshippers would easily have told you that the 3DS would beat the Vita in sales. You're talking about a really small minority right here.

And you need to get a new perspective too. Sony was not expecting to sell as much as the 3DS. While I do think they underachieved on their own forecast, they haven't taken any drastic measures to reduce the price or anything, meaning they are satisfied with what they are selling. You know, unlike Nintendo did with the 3DS? Price reduction after a few months?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I think the PSV will fail less because of anything sony does and more because Nintendo is outright attempting to sabotage Sony lol.

It was definitely not a coincidence that nintendo announced the price drop the same time as the Vita announced it's pricing, nor was it coincidence that they held the price drop until just before the Vita launched. They actively attempted increase their market penetration in the exact window before the Vita came out. Make no mistake, as happy go lucky as Nintendo pretends to be, they're a business, and a business only excels when their competitors fail. Nintendo will actively work to make that happen.

finalark

SNORLAX
I think the PSV will fail less because of anything sony does and more because Nintendo is outright attempting to sabotage Sony lol.

It was definitely not a coincidence that nintendo announced the price drop the same time as the Vita announced it's pricing, nor was it coincidence that they held the price drop until just before the Vita launched. They actively attempted increase their market penetration in the exact window before the Vita came out. Make no mistake, as happy go lucky as Nintendo pretends to be, they're a business, and a business only excels when their competitors fail. Nintendo will actively work to make that happen.
Alliteratively, they know that most people aren't interested in non-Nintendo handhelds.

I mean, really, when was the last time you heard of a handheld actually giving a Nintendo handheld a run for its money in sales? How many people do you know who've owned non-Nintendo handhelds compared to ones who've owned Nintendo handhelds?

When you get down to it, Nintendo pretty much has the handheld market wrapped around their finger. I'm 100% certain that if for whatever reason they had to drop the console market they could easily survive off of their handhelds alone.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I hardly think Sony would be satisfied with such poor sales especially with all the hype the vita was getting over last years e3 you know when everyone was saying Nintendo was finished because The price cut and the vita coming out but look now after this month Nintendo will actually start to make money off of the 3ds. I'm not trying to prove you wrong I'm just calling what I see professional analyst thought they were going to fail even their investors tried to jump ship worrying about the nexbox or PS power. in retrospect its perfectly reasonable to care about power but the way we do now feels different to me .

Alsohttp://mynintendonews.com/2012/07/20/nintendo-trying-to-get-rare-banjo-kazooie-back/

I really hope this is true

finalark

SNORLAX
I hardly think Sony would be satisfied with such poor sales especially with all the hype the vita was getting over last years e3 you know when everyone was saying Nintendo was finished because The price cut and the vita coming out but look now after this month Nintendo will actually start to make money off of the 3ds.
I'll admit that was pretty hyped for the Vita when it was first announced. But in the end I decide to pick up a 3DS over it. I'm not sure what point you're trying to argue, but I'm just saying that when it comes to handhelds Nintendo is untouchable. Even when they blundered with the Virtual Boy everyone seemed to forgive them once the Game Boy Color came out.

I'm not trying to prove you wrong I'm just calling what I see professional analyst thought they were going to fail even their investors tried to jump ship worrying about the nexbox or PS power. in retrospect its perfectly reasonable to care about power but the way we do now feels different to me .
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. But if you're trying to argue that we treat graphics hype differently, I'd like to say that the last time I saw a big release's graphics as a selling point was way back in maybe... '07? I don't know, you really don't see graphics hype as much as people seem to think.

Rare's a sunken ship. Why do they want them back? Unless its to re-release their N64 games. Which is very understandable since a lot of people love those titles.

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
I think they just want rare back for banjo-kazooie and hopefully if luck is on my side Conker.

Nintendo and the handheld market though I don't think Nintendo could survive off them alone I mean they only really sell well in Japan extremely well so I hear.

Anyway does anyone know how far you can go with the WiiU -pad I've always been curious.

finalark

SNORLAX
Nintendo and the handheld market though I don't think Nintendo could survive off them alone I mean they only really sell well in Japan extremely well so I hear.
Here's a chart displaying the DS' lifetime sales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales

For the first half of the DS' lifespan the numbers are roughly equal for NA and Japan while in the later half it outsells Japan by a landslide. I'm pretty sure Nintendo could run well enough if they only made handhelds.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Alliteratively, they know that most people aren't interested in non-Nintendo handhelds.

I mean, really, when was the last time you heard of a handheld actually giving a Nintendo handheld a run for its money in sales? How many people do you know who've owned non-Nintendo handhelds compared to ones who've owned Nintendo handhelds?

When you get down to it, Nintendo pretty much has the handheld market wrapped around their finger. I'm 100% certain that if for whatever reason they had to drop the console market they could easily survive off of their handhelds alone.
I've known quite a few people who owned PSPs. People tend to forget because of how absurdly popular the DS was and how many insane sales records it broke that the PSP still held nearly a third of the handheld market with 71 million units sold over it's lifetime. That makes it the third best selling console of the 7th generation consoles, ahead of the PS3 and 360.

It may be true that Nintendo absolutely wrecks the handheld market, but it would be wrong to say that it's impossible for another company to give them a run for their money.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've known quite a few people who owned PSPs. People tend to forget because of how absurdly popular the DS was and how many insane sales records it broke that the PSP still held nearly a third of the handheld market with 71 million units sold over it's lifetime. That makes it the third best selling console of the 7th generation consoles, ahead of the PS3 and 360.
Well, I did own a PSP myself. As you said, compared to the crazy success of the DS it doesn't seem like the PSP did that well.

It may be true that Nintendo absolutely wrecks the handheld market, but it would be wrong to say that it's impossible for another company to give them a run for their money.
I guess we'll see how the Vita does in a few years, eh?

theeboredone

Smash Legend

Nintendo has never (I believe) lost money on selling a system. When they price dropped the 3DS, they were losing money on it. Besides, they were selling it rather poorly, and knew that at the time, the Vita at 250 would be superior to the 3DS at 200.

They just recently started making a profit on the 3DS units, so they are back to their business model. While rumors say the Wii U will be priced at 300, Nintendo does plan to sell it at a profit. I figure 350 would be more appropriate, unless profit means "1 dollar per console"

finalark

SNORLAX
I wouldn't bank of all of those being launch titles. Especially those with a TBA release date and a working title.

But there are some interesting things in there.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mario, Tekken, and Rayman are the only ones I'm really interested in

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Unfortunately, most of those games do not interest me, and the few that do, I can simply play on my PS3. Pikmin 3 and NSMBU are decent enough, but they will not warrant me shelling out the money for a new console. I said this a few times before, but the only way that will guarantee I get a Wii U at launch, is if they confirm the Wii U to have some achievement system.

Top Bottom