• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That's a given though. PS3 and 360 run Unreal 3, so do Iphone games, but compare Unreal 3 on consoles to PCs and well...you see the difference.

But this is good news for future third party games.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
This is rather interesting.
That's a given though. PS3 and 360 run Unreal 3, so do Iphone games, but compare Unreal 3 on consoles to PCs and well...you see the difference.

But this is good news for future third party games.
While true, I don't recall the Wii ever being able to support the Unreal 3 engine, so the Wii U being able to support UE3 and UE4, the latter of which may have to be scaled down though, is still pretty promising. I guess we'll just have to really wait and see.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
Ain't much of a concern for me nor it should be for anybody as I feel more comfortable for them not to.

Metroid for the Wii U though. Sounds pretty sweet.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Ha, Nintendo has been hating on MMOs since I can remember. That's nothing new.

Wait a minute...

"Its upcoming Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U both offer offline multiplayer only."

"upcoming Nintendo Land offline multiplayer only."

Anybody else seeing the huge waste of potential here, or is it just me? Oh and that Metroid game isn't confirmed at all. The very same article it links to at the end clarifies that.

About Unreal Engine 4, it looks like it can be ported to WiiU, but Epic won't do it. Looks like devs will have to port the engine themselves if they plan to support WiiU. That doesn't sound very good...

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Ha, Nintendo has been hating on MMOs since I can remember. That's nothing new.
^ This

"Its upcoming Nintendo Land and New Super Mario Bros U both offer offline multiplayer only."

"upcoming Nintendo Land offline multiplayer only."

Anybody else seeing the huge waste of potential here, or is it just me? Oh and that Metroid game isn't confirmed at all. The very same article it links to at the end clarifies that.
^ This. I can understand New Super Mario Bros. U, but for Nintendo Land to be offline only? It truly is a waste.

About Unreal Engine 4, it looks like it can be ported to WiiU, but Epic won't do it. Looks like devs will have to port the engine themselves if they plan to support WiiU. That doesn't sound very good...
So it all comes down to whether to individual devs for individual titles want to make the effort into porting their games to the Wii U, which could end up costing more money to do such a thing. If that's the case, then the news may not bode well for the Wii U and UE4.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm assuming they'd have to port the engine themselves, with their own resources. Someone will do it eventually, though I have no idea if any of Nintendo's first and second parties would be up to the task.

ALso, Pikmin.

I have to say, seeing WiiU games feels like a breath of fresh air. Everything I've seen so far not only looks smooth (pretty much no aliasing at all) but it also plays at 60 fps. It feels really pleasing to look at!

Ecks

Smash Lord
Seriously, I never even imagined that Nintendo Land might not be an online title. After all the Nintendo Network talk, it looked like Nintendo was ready to take online gaming by storm.

A really odd decision here.

Wait first guys....
But that doesn’t mean Nintendo isn’t interested in online gaming. “We also have titles like Mario Kart that are heavily reliant on online and support online multiplayer. But you shouldn’t be expecting Call of Duty-like games to be offered from Nintendo”, said Iwata. He added that these types of games — Call of Duty-like titles with heavy focus on online multiplayer — are done by third parties who can do those kinds of games “very well”. He said Nintendo has no intentions of trying to compete with them on that front. Instead, they would like to invite the likes of Activision to bring their franchises to the Wii U.
Nintendo can still add online multiplayer to their games. It's just that online multiplayer won't really be the main focus of the games they make.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Nintendo can still add online multiplayer to their games. It's just that online multiplayer won't really be the main focus of the games they make.
Agreed. I wouldn't care for an online Zelda, Mario, or Metroid game, but F-Zero, Mario Kart, and Smash Bros. 4 are no-brainers. Hopefully, Nintendo will make the right choices as to which games they give online multiplayer capabilities.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That is such a weak excuse to not include online play. If anything, it could also show us the capability of Nintendo's online play.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Nintendo doesn't need to include online play for their earlier games. They most likely just wanted to pump out games for release without worrying about all the stuff that goes into making online for a game.

Yeah, it would be nice, but it is cheaper to make a game without online play.

:phone:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not like online gameplay is a requirement now.

I'm surprised at NSMBU not having online mulitplayer though. NSMBWii's multiplayer modes were pretty fun, I think it would have been awesome to have online with that (especially since I can't find anyone to play the game together with :3).

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I am surprised as well. One thing I enjoy about Xbox/PC gaming, etc is that there are a lot of games that support co-op multiplayer online. Nintendo really needs to start implementing that kind of thing into their games IMO.

The majority of my friends that I would enjoy playing through games like that with (outside of the local Smash community) all live in South Carolina. It would be fun to play through games like that with some of them.

UberMario

Smash Master
"Pachter added that Nintendo “got lucky” with the Wii"

lol. Someone is mad that their favorite this-gen system didn't beat Nintendo's.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Maybe it's just because I'm an 80's kid at heart still, but seeing an old man like that have an opinion on video game consoles seems funny to me

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I seriously hate this Patcher guy for the sheer fact that he comes up with crazy theories. Yeah, I understand this is his theory on the matter, but it is an incredibly idiotic one. Activision puts pressure on Nintendo? As if.

Why would Nintendo even care for CoD on Wii U? Most people who already own a 360 or a PS3 are not going to buy a Wii U for it, and they aren't going to wait for the Wii U version to come out later either. So what pressure? Only people who would play Wii U CoD would be the ones who don't own a 360 or PS3.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Yeah, MGS4 not being released day one with the PS3 really killed it. Plus the price was too hefty for a console way back then.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still wouldn't pay $600 for a console today

even for Giant Enemy Crabs

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Even then, Zelda helped the Wii. Sadly, as a result, the superior GameCube version was overlooked. (At least, I like to believe that the GameCube version was better.)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even then, Zelda helped the Wii. Sadly, as a result, the superior GameCube version was overlooked. (At least, I like to believe that the GameCube version was better.)

Since the gamecube version didn't mirror everything, it was probably better

Top Bottom