• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Just because they look amazing doesn't necessarily mean they will be amazing. Nintendo's track record as of late has been hit-and-miss, so we can only hope for the best for Nintendo Land... and honestly, even at best, I don't think it will be all that great, but here's to hoping I'm wrong.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's an interesting game, but the quick burnout I had from Wii Sports has made me skeptical on this game, let alone the videos I've seen from it. It's a nice add on assuming it comes with the console, but nothing more.

I mean, people make fun of Nintendo for being too childish...one of the first videos I see on youtube regards to this game is a bunch of actors portrayed as a family, playing the 5 player Animal Crossing part of Nintendoland. You hear the dad go essentially, "Ready or not, here I come!" which....I cringed so hard on that lol.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
[glow]I was being sarcastic guys. I know it's not going to be that great lol. I'm glad it's all Nintendo themed though and I'm most interested in the F-zero minigame.[/glow]

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Nintendo Land doesn't sound bad, but it sounds like another Wii Sports that you'll play the heck out of for the first week you own a Wii U and then get bored of it once you get some other games, only bringing it out on occation at parties.

Sully

Smash Cadet
Nintendo Land doesn't look that fun at all, it's pretty much just a Wii Sports. And I'm not even sure I'll get a Wii U at all.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Everyone who has played the Nintendo Land games said they really enjoyed them. o-o

Most of the articles and comments I read about the Wii U is about it being disappointing and that it will be surpassed by the PS4 and the XBOX 720. No joke. I've only seen like 3 or 4 articles out of 20 that actually said good things about the Wii U. Some are pretty mixed about the console.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Surpassed how? Like, honestly, what exactly is the PS4 or 720 going to do that just puts it in a league of it's own? Super Ultra Special High End graphics? Whoooo a reason not to buy it lol. Im already pissed that games are $60 a pop, but now your going to raise the standard and development costs even more? And more to the point, unless the 720 costs like, $200-300 I will never see a reason to purchase a console that plays bad versions of PC shooters and madden. PS4 I may or may not buy. Depends on if they stop trying to be microsoft and go back to making some good mother ****ing games.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Well, as far as we currently know, the Wii U can handle whatever the PS3 and 360 can play (not counting exclusives, though the Wii U could probably play those too). However, with the Unreal 4 Engine and the Luminous Engine having been featured, Sony and Microsoft at least knows what to work with when the time comes to make the new console, and if the vast majority of games for next gen utilizes either of those engines (also assuming the PS4/720 are built with those engines in mind), we'll end up having the same problem as the Wii did with the PS3/360, unless one of the following happens:

A: Nintendo shows that the Wii U can support either of the engines
B: Nintendo works more on the Wii U before launch so that it can run either engine, if it couldn't already
C: Both engines become too expensive to create games with, resulting in the Wii U playing whatever third-party game the PS4/720 can play, while the really beast games that do use the engines that become PS4/720-only titles remain relatively few in number and/or relegated to PCs.

This is just theories though, so don't take what I say at face value.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I heard that at most, the ps4 or 720 will be 25% more powerful wii u. But that is just rumor, as we really don't know what any of these rumor filled consoles can do.

Lets just be happy that the wii u is bringing something fresh to the table.

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
While I can agree with this, Nintendo needs to do more than simply bring gimmicks to the table, and thankfully, they are finally keeping core gamers in mind with the Wii U. They did well enough with the Wii's gimmicks, but gimmicks alone will not last forever, though admittedly, I am a bit surprised the Wii managed to hang on in the console wars as long as it did... but just a bit.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I don't think having Nintendoland and Pikmin as your main attractions are a testament to keeping in touch with core gamers. It seems like they went 50/50

I don't think having Nintendoland and Pikmin as your main attractions are a testament to keeping in touch with core gamers.
IMO, Even though Pikmin 3 was really good, I don't think it was actually the main attraction.

I think Nintendo Land was the main thing in Nintendo's E3. I haven't seen any negative feedback regarding the game. Seems like people who played the game had fun (Pretty sure someone said that in this thread). Not saying that Nintendo Land is awesome or anything since I haven't even tried the game yet. I still think that there would have been better games that should have been shown in E3 and that this E3 was somewhat disappointing.

vvvvvvvvv What Sol Diviner said too

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I don't think having Nintendoland and Pikmin as your main attractions are a testament to keeping in touch with core gamers. It seems like they went 50/50
Well, what I meant by that is they did show they can support third-party titles, like Arkham City, Mass Effect 3, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Assassins Creed 3, etc., as pointless as those titles may seem on the Wii U, when more than half the gaming world already own PS3s/360s on which they can play said games. Still, albeit a slow start, it is a start nonetheless.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I heard that at most, the ps4 or 720 will be 25% more powerful wii u. But that is just rumor, as we really don't know what any of these rumor filled consoles can do.

Fresh? A few gimmicks? Meh, don't really care, just give me a standard controller any day and I'd be happy.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Well, it is true that gimmicks can't make something successful forever, but then again, it really is up to the developer to how they use such gimmicks.

The one thing that is very exciting to see is how gaming will evolve on the wii u. At first, we'll see some basic stuff, but then a dev will try to use the device in a manner we haven't seen before.

Gaming gets boring after seeing and playing the same old song. I'm all for a nice change of pace. I just want devs to take this next generation of gaming and think outside the box, so that they can bring something we have never seen before to the table.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think Nintendoland will be a solid game. It's just not something that...people were not expecting in a good way.

We also know about all the third party games coming to the console, but most people have already played them. If anything more announcements on new third parties coming to the Wii U would have been more awesome. I guess it would be too hard to port to the Wii U given the short timing.

We also know about all the third party games coming to the console, but most people have already played them. If anything more announcements on new third parties coming to the Wii U would have been more awesome. I guess it would be too hard to port to the Wii U given the short timing.
Pretty sure that there will be a lot more 3rd party titles that will be announced for the Wii U at the coming months.

As said many times, Nintendo's E3 conference was disappointing not because it sucked but because it didn't really reach the expectations

Edit:
As expected... There are games that are gonna be announced at the coming months but you guys probably knew that
There are many more features that weren't presented in E3. I think maybe or maybe not (Not sure), the NFC function is part of that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Pretty sure that there will be a lot more 3rd party titles that will be announced for the Wii U at the coming months.

As said many times, Nintendo's E3 conference was disappointing not because it sucked but because it didn't really reach the expectations

Edit:
As expected... There are games that are gonna be announced at the coming months but you guys probably knew that
There are many more features that weren't presented in E3. I think maybe or maybe not (Not sure), the NFC function is part of that.
That's good to know.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
As said many times, Nintendo's E3 conference was disappointing not because it sucked but because it didn't really reach the expectations.
This pretty much sums it up, not to mention E3 this year as a whole.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I think the main reason people thought it sucked was because they didn't really announce anything new. The couple things they did announce for the first time however, many people aren't that hyped for... like Nintendo Land. If nothing shown at this years E3 was announced ahead of time like they were, I think people would have loved Nintendo's E3 this year.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I blame the many Nintendo Directs that started up in recent months. E3 is starting to become less important to Nintendo.

Thino

Smash Master
For the last couple of years, TGS and self hosted conferences have been more important when it comes to big announcement

E3 conference now is just really for the press and to appeal the developers and 3rd party

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I am honestly hoping, and I mean HOPING that this year's Tokyo Game Show impresses me. That said, they say that Microsoft will not be there. Honestly, it would make sense, considering the XBOX is officially dead in Japan.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Why would it matter if Microsoft was there or not? Year over year they are unquestionably the worst showing at any convention lol. I was watching the Microsoft conference with a buddy of mine who literally ONLY plays Shooters and he literally told me to switch to Nintendo or Sony's conference because he was bored out of his skull lol. Microsoft is ****ing terrible at being interesting.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Why would it matter if Microsoft was there or not? Year over year they are unquestionably the worst showing at any convention lol. I was watching the Microsoft conference with a buddy of mine who literally ONLY plays Shooters and he literally told me to switch to Nintendo or Sony's conference because he was bored out of his skull lol. Microsoft is ****ing terrible at being interesting.
Well, that goes without saying, as Microsoft has won as being the worst in E3 several + years in a row. Personally, it doesn't matter seeing as I don't play XBOX, but it's still an interesting enough detail to point out for those who still care enough for Microsoft.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
I want to play my Xbox :(

I used to have so much fun with it, Modern Warfare 1, Guitar Hero, Tales of Vesperia, Ninja Gaiden 2, Dead Rising.

Now it's ****ty versions of Modern Warefare and ****ty FPS' attempting to be the ****ty versions of FPS.

I still play Guitar Hero though. As a melee player I love pressing buttons really fast

Thino

Smash Master
I am honestly hoping, and I mean HOPING that this year's Tokyo Game Show impresses me. That said, they say that Microsoft will not be there. Honestly, it would make sense, considering the XBOX is officially dead in Japan.
well at least from Nintendo, it's really probable that we get more information on the console itself like price and launch date and MAYBE AAA titles rather than advertising the concept of the console and the fact that 3rd party devs are interested in it

.. which is pretty much what they did for the past 2 E3s

Top Bottom