• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That is the reason why I won't buy New Super Mario Bros. U. It just feels like the same game again with barely any justification to buy it. Why bother getting something you've already played, you know what I mean?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I still don't know why they put the word New in there. Not only does it lengthen the name of the game significantly when you're also adding extra words to the end of the name like Wii or 3DS or whatever, the point of adding the word New in there doesn't make sense anymore. I mean they only added it in the first place because it ha been a while since we last saw a legit 2D game this providing justification for the word, but by now there's nothing "new" about it anymore since there's 2 other games in the series as of now with the same visuals/gameplay :phone:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It has come to signify a different series of Mario games.

Disagree that it is the same thing over and over again, so far they seem to all be quite different. While NSMB Wii and NSMB U appear to be the most similar editions of them, it still seems to have plenty of additions in the gameplay, and the hardware adds a lot to it in terms of replay value and some of the graphics. The characters really are too cartoony to be able to improve upon any further, and isn't the focus anyhow.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
yeah, I don't like that it seems like NSMB is the future of Mario.

Mario Galaxy 2 is a bad comparison because Mario Galaxy 2 is amazing and even if it didn't introduce anything radical the level design was way better and more streamlined.

I'm just mostly disappointed with NSMBU because I miss when launch games used to be wow amazing things instead of some thing that the devs most likely crapped out in a relatively short time span.

I'm just going off of a few moments of footage so I'll be happy to be proven wrong when the game comes out, as far as gameplay is concerned

Pink Reaper, I think that's a bad way to put it because SMB1, 2 (US) and 3 are all very different games. Mario World 1 and 2 couldn't be more different. NSMBDS, NSMBWii and now it looks like NSMBU are little more like new-age romhacks.

Also, two Toads for P3 and P4 AGAIN!? WHAT DA HELL

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
No, Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 were nearly exactly the same, it's just they didnt release the second one here lol.

And again, im just saying this is their way of naming their games. Literally im saying it's the name of the series of 2D Mario Bros games they are currently releasing.

Edit: and what Launch games are you thinking of lol. The super early days, NES and SNES were good but 64 literally only had SM64(super great game, only one game) PS1 had Ridge Racer, PS2 had SSX, Gamecube had Wiigii's mansion and Pikmin(both good games but nothing mind blowing) Xbox had Halo(I'll give you Halo was amazing) 360 had a port of CoD2, Wii had a port of Twilight Princess and PS3 has no games.

handheld you had DS with literally nothing at launch but tech demos and a port of SM64, PSP had nothing of note(Lumines as a launch game? Dont remember) 3DS had nothing period and Vita had Uncharted which, while uncharted is amazing isnt exactly "New and exciting territory"

Oh and I dont even think the GBA launched with a game. Like the system launched and then nothing came out for it for 3 months lol

Nintendo being lazy again. It should be Toad and ??? (The ??? can be anyone).

I won't complain about the graphics because if they made it better (Mario Galaxy 2 level or higher), it wouldn't really feel like NSMB. Not that it's bad if it won't feel the same but... eh.. Whatever. Hyped for NSMB U. New levels and new (Weird) power ups. I hope Nintendo will bring something new to the table. New items, new enemies and new boss are cool but I want something new to the gameplay. Like how Nintendo added multiplayer in New Super Mario Bros.

I think the word "New" belongs only to the DS version. The Wii and Wii U version should be called "Super Mario Bros".

theeboredone

Smash Legend
No, Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 were nearly exactly the same, it's just they didnt release the second one here lol.

And again, im just saying this is their way of naming their games. Literally im saying it's the name of the series of 2D Mario Bros games they are currently releasing.

Edit: and what Launch games are you thinking of lol. The super early days, NES and SNES were good but 64 literally only had SM64(super great game, only one game) PS1 had Ridge Racer, PS2 had SSX, Gamecube had Wiigii's mansion and Pikmin(both good games but nothing mind blowing) Xbox had Halo(I'll give you Halo was amazing) 360 had a port of CoD2, Wii had a port of Twilight Princess and PS3 has no games.

handheld you had DS with literally nothing at launch but tech demos and a port of SM64, PSP had nothing of note(Lumines as a launch game? Dont remember) 3DS had nothing period and Vita had Uncharted which, while uncharted is amazing isnt exactly "New and exciting territory"

Oh and I dont even think the GBA launched with a game. Like the system launched and then nothing came out for it for 3 months lol
PS2 had an excellent starting lineup. Tekken Tag, Unreal Tournament, Street Fighter EX3 (not received well, but still a hype title), Armored Core 2, Dynasty Warriors 2, Dead or Alive 2, and Ridge Racer 2. Just sayin'

yani

Smash Lord
Is anyone going to get Pikmin 2 for Wii? I never played the GC version, so I'm thinking about picking it up.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Pikmin 2 is great, so I suggest getting it in some form. I have to go get the first one on the Wii because my GC version is missing and Pikmin 3 being unveiled is getting my obsessed with the little guys all over again.

yani

Smash Lord
I kinda want to get the first one too :x. Take my money Nintendo!!

I had it when it first came out, but I didn't really enjoy it because I would get sad when the Pikmin die and the time was a turn off for me. There's also a good chance it will appear on the Wii-U VC, so I think I may just wait for that.

I also can't wait for TLS!! :awesome:

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
PS2 had an excellent starting lineup. Tekken Tag, Unreal Tournament, Street Fighter EX3 (not received well, but still a hype title), Armored Core 2, Dynasty Warriors 2, Dead or Alive 2, and Ridge Racer 2. Just sayin'
None of those games are games that sell systems though, except maybe UT(at the time just because UT was amazing on PC) and even then UT turned out to be only meh compared to the PC version.

Like, that's Fighter, Fighter, Fighter(the fighting game genre isnt exactly niche but it isnt something thats going to push sales of a console unless it's like, Smash), Racer, UT, Dynasty warriors(uggggggggggggh Dynasty Warriors) and AC 2 and you're not sitting on a load of classics or even must haves. Nothing that stands out as saying "Yeah, this justifies buying a whole new console"

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah I hate being timed as well (feel like everything I do is rushed), but now that we're a bit older, it might be a good challenge compared to most.

Plus in the Wii version you can go back to any previous day or something in case one day you mess up or lose a lot of pikmin.

And despite being older, I feel like I'm going to cry inside still when a pikmin dies..

theeboredone

Smash Legend
None of those games are games that sell systems though, except maybe UT(at the time just because UT was amazing on PC) and even then UT turned out to be only meh compared to the PC version.

Like, that's Fighter, Fighter, Fighter(the fighting game genre isnt exactly niche but it isnt something thats going to push sales of a console unless it's like, Smash), Racer, UT, Dynasty warriors(uggggggggggggh Dynasty Warriors) and AC 2 and you're not sitting on a load of classics or even must haves. Nothing that stands out as saying "Yeah, this justifies buying a whole new console"
Tekken Tag is arguably the greatest Tekken to be made. It was a greatest hits, and among fighter fans was a top game to have. Hell, before the announcement of TT2, there were still tournies for it.

And to be honest, I do consider that a great lineup, because one, it appeals to plenty people, critics loved these games, and at least the offering was plenty.

If you look at the DS, all it had was the port of Mario 64. 3DS had Pilot Wings? At least the PS2 gave people opportunities and games to look over.

For the record, I never buy consoles on release, cause I wait a long *** time for a plethora of good games to come out. But if we're arguing launch titles, I would say PS2 is at the top.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I'm a huge fan of the Pikimin franchise, I'm super happy that the 3rd game will have up to 4 captains we need to control. It seems like we will have many more possibilities on how to beat a level the fastest way possible.

As much as I like laying low, playing my games slowly, enjoying every bit of scenario and music that I can, I think I'll enjoy time-attacks again. I haven't done that for along time now, I think Pikimin 3 will be a reason for me to try to do something fast again in games.

I was playing Pikimin 1 with one of my friends everyday, together we were developing strategies to beat its speed-run. I tell you, we were pretty close to get a 6 to 7 days record. Unfortunately we stopped, I don't remember exactly but something else got our attention completely away from Pikimin 1 altogether, so we kind of quit it.

Anyway, Pikimin 3 is day 1 buy for me along with that ZombiU. I'vent played a Pikimin game for years, that will be a rejoice. :)

yani

Smash Lord
My GameStop was sold out of Pikmin 2 already. I didn't see it at my Target either, so I just ordered it from ToysRUs. I got free shipping on it. They're also doing a 2 for $30 with Nintendo Selects games and a handful of DS games and other Wii games.

Thino

Smash Master
I kinda expected that price ever since Iwata said something about not being able to sell the console for less than 22,000 yen aka $250.

that's.. acceptable.

Still waiting for TGS 2012 to see the rest of the AAA lineup to decide WHEN to get the console.

yani

Smash Lord
There's so many "leaks" that I don't know what to believe anymore. $300 is perfect for me though. Especially if it's bundled with Nintendo Land. drools~

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
$300 sounds about right. I hope NL will be bundled with it.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
If it's that cheap, totes getting it release day.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
300 sounds great, somewhat skeptical if Nintendo Land would be free with that price though.

But really I have no clue what I'm talking about, just thinking that sounds pretty cheap considering the Wii U seems to be more than 50 dollars more than what we got with the Wii in comparison. Much stronger system and tablet? Doesn't matter too much, still will be getting it, and if isn't bundled, I bet Nintendo Land would at least cost less than the typical price of a game.

Thanks for sharing.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I figure they would offer Nintendoland for pretty cheap. Then again, I'm not sure if it's a full comprehensive game. Like, does this game even have online multiplayer? If so, Nintendo could bundle it for about 330. If not, then it should be free. There's only so many times you can beat your own score or have a friend over. It's just Wii Sports all over again.

I'm sure they will have other bundles. Mainly with the third party games like AC or Batman as opposed to ZombiU.

Btw, it makes sense for the price to be around the 300 area. They are at this point, using rather old tech (deja vu). It's just a matter of how expensive it would be to make the tablet, which would impact the console price.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Not sure if I've said this earlier, but I'm pretty sure the Plaza in Nintendo Land is filled with the Miiverse, so it should have online. Think that was said during the roundtable. Still a small game, for sure, but it'll last longer than Wii Sports did with my family I bet. Waggling the wii mote in tennis, flailing your fists as fast as you can in boxing, and getting nigh perfect scores in bowling got tiresome quickly.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
don't mean to de-rail the current conversation, and not sure if this is even the appropriate thread but...

anyone here ever have any luck cleaning their own Wii? And not just like, blasting it with can-o-air or using the Wii Cleaning Kit, I mean doing it like they would for the 70 odd bucks if you ship it to them b/c it's not reading discs even after using the cleaning kit.

like, taking it apart, and all that jazz.

yay? nay?

We're about to try it but alas the bit set we have is not exactly what we need, but it's close enough that we may be able to still use it, though it may strip some of the screws... heh.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Trust me, order a Tri-Wing screwdriver. I got mine for a dollar on eBay, free shipping from China. Trying with anything else will kill the screws. =(

BSP

Smash Legend
I've never bothered to take my wii apart or clean

I did have to send it in once because of disc errors though

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
...I'm a bit lacking in the Kirby department, only have the two Wii ones, some handheld ones, and no longer own the 64 version (lost some my cartridges? I'm so notorious for that kind of crap..)

Thanks for sharing Triple Dash. :)

Top Bottom