• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Like I said, I prefer the core buttons to be a bit higher. I think it will get a bit getting used too to have the buttons down there.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
I'm a little iffy on the placement of the right analog stick. When I play any game on my PS3, I like to keep my right thumb on the analog stick at all times and use my index finger for the face buttons. It seems it would be difficult to have constant control over the right stick with this controller.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
New Classic controller is not much better than the old and the button layout is still bad for competitive Smash

BSP

Smash Legend
Parental controls will be there for sure. No way would Nintendo allow anybody to just go and make video calls to children.
My guess is that you're going to need friend codes before you get anywhere close to video chats.

I think we're going to be in for a rough ride with this one. They're really hyping this social aspect of the system. I won't mind as long as the games are good I guess.

Thino

Smash Master
I guess parental control will just severely butcher Miiverse and Nintendo Network interactions in general, restricting it to friends only.

That's the easiest way I see it being done.

Ecks

Smash Lord
The system already failed if that's the case. They should keep friend codes as parental controls, not shove it down everyone's throat. Furthermore, have everyone "sign" an agreement before using the features and they shouldn't be able to get sued by angry moms.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Pro Controller == win. There is hope yet for Smash Bros. 4! ^_^

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
The system already failed if that's the case. They should keep friend codes as parental controls, not shove it down everyone's throat. Furthermore, have everyone "sign" an agreement before using the features and they shouldn't be able to get sued by angry moms.
^ This. In the end, it all comes down to the responsibility of the parent.

D

Deleted member

I know the new pro controller is pretty good, but is it me or do the buttons lower than the right control stick seem kind've... uncomfertable to me.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'm a bit...worried. We now have three controllers that maybe considered "mainstream" to the audience. So that means developers may have to spend extra time making sure all three styles work well. With all that being said, I think the Wii U should come with 2/3 of the controllers. IMO they should release the Tablet (obviously) and the Pro controller. The reason being, that means they are trying to appeal to the hardcore, everyone and their moms own a Wii, so a wiimote shouldn't be a problem...and the tablet can appeal to both casuals and hardcore.

LLDL

Smash Hero
This is what I use. It is a classic controller as well as a gamecube controller, and since Wii motes will be compatible on the Wii U, I assume it will work fine.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Also, does the pro controller have just a dock charge station or can you plug it in and play? Cause you know...far as Smash goes. We need our connected controllers.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Also, does the pro controller have just a dock charge station or can you plug it in and play? Cause you know...far as Smash goes. We need our connected controllers.
At the top of the controller is a little plug in slot and slightly below it, it says battery.

It looks like a slot to charge your controller to me.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I'm a bit...worried. We now have three controllers that maybe considered "mainstream" to the audience. So that means developers may have to spend extra time making sure all three styles work well. With all that being said, I think the Wii U should come with 2/3 of the controllers. IMO they should release the Tablet (obviously) and the Pro controller. The reason being, that means they are trying to appeal to the hardcore, everyone and their moms own a Wii, so a wiimote shouldn't be a problem...and the tablet can appeal to both casuals and hardcore.
I wouldn't worry. The controller is pretty much the WiiU pad sans the touch screen. This may be part of the reason the sticks are at the top. And having support for the wiimote is not at all necessary since it's expected that you'll own the WiiU controllers.

Edit: Also, looking at it closely, the little port at the top looks like a micro USB port (like the ps3 controller). I'd be nice if it was.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I wouldn't worry. The controller is pretty much the WiiU pad sans the touch screen. This may be part of the reason the sticks are at the top. And having support for the wiimote is not at all necessary since it's expected that you'll own the WiiU controllers.
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto and Nintendo in general have said that they plan on giving Wii mote support. The Motion + just really took off with Zelda SS. So for them to neglect it would be rather silly imo.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
The Classic Controller Pro is very similar to the Gamecube controller from my playing experience. I can beat people with the Pro controller without warmup and I use it once every 6 months compared to the Gamecube controller which I use every week.

And when I say beat people, I mean beat people that I usually beat with the GC controller. Barely any difference for me if you set the buttons similar to a GC controller.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Miyamoto and Nintendo in general have said that they plan on giving Wii mote support. The Motion + just really took off with Zelda SS. So for them to neglect it would be rather silly imo.
Oh yeah, Nintendo will definitively keep using the Wiimote. I meant every other developer. Many will use it of course, but they don't have to.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol, what @ that image.

radically different analog stick placement, different shape/sizes of shoulder buttons, the d-pads are very different styles, and overall everything is more spread out on the nintendo controller.

really, i think that is a pretty big stretch to make. I guess if you casually glance at it for a second, the similar shape of the controllers could fool you but caman man

i have to say though, i do not like the look of WiiU's right analog stick. i basically WISH it was an actual 360 controller ripoff in that sense because i vastly prefer that analog placement.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Who cares, Nintendo says they are unique, and they have a controller that they try to make comfortable, and it happens to look like the 360 controller? Stop complaining. Not only are there only a few ways to make an optimum controller, but when Nintendo tries to be unique, that doesn't mean every single thing that they pump out must be purely original. That is impossible.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Not to mention Sony and Microsoft are constantly ripping off Nintendo, so for Nintendo to have a controller that's similar, yet still different from an XBOX controller... people have to give Nintendo credit for trying. As I said earlier, it's a compact, comfortable version of the Wii U Pad minus the touch screen.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
That right analog stick looks very comfortable for playing a FPS. It's like playing Halo or CoD on a Xbox 360 controller but without needing to place your right thumb oddly downwards all the time. You guys are just used with that analog stick there, I'm pretty sure you will not look back once you are playing a FPS game just to make a comparison. I'm surprised Microsoft never did this to be honest.

For normal adventure games the normal buttons are there, pretty close and easily accessible. It will feel natural. Besides, for the best adventures and platformers we will be using the Wii-U controller having all its features to use such as the gyroscope and the touchscreen instead of the Pro one.

But I think this Wii-U Pro Controller will beat the GC joystick and be best one to date (because it's about time we have a comfy controller that beats GC's which is over a decade old). :p

Edit: Just watched the pre-E3 presentation, it's very informative. Love the idea of sharing information online between stages of a Mario game for example, we can make a lot of jokes and read pretty interesting stuff that would be very unexpected.

I think with the new Wii-U controller Pro + the Wii-U GamePad Nintendo is in the right direction. Definitely a force to be reckoned with, no doubt.

....... E3 awaits for us! :D

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Size of the shoulder buttons maybe dif, but the theme is similar in how they look.
Doesn't matter if they look similar, the fact that the right control stick is in a different position is pretty significant. Plus, its better than having no standard controller at all and being stuck with that giant tablet controller (that is even larger than the prototype).

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
As some mentioned before, heard this controller directly connects to the system, meaning we can play smash in tournies with no wireless interference meaning we can still have Nationals and such.

If that is true I am very happy cause I really like this controller design so far.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Who cares, Nintendo says they are unique, and they have a controller that they try to make comfortable, and it happens to look like the 360 controller? Stop complaining. Not only are there only a few ways to make an optimum controller, but when Nintendo tries to be unique, that doesn't mean every single thing that they pump out must be purely original. That is impossible.
Calm down. No one here was accusing Nintendo of being unoriginal for copying the Xbox controller (or whatever you wanna call it.) It is what it is. It is drawing comparisons to the 360 controller, and you can't deny the similarities at first glance. I even joked earlier about it saying that when Nintendo is the one copying, it's perfectly acceptable. However, when the other two companies do it, Nintendo goes up in arms about it.

Again, no one here is complaining. It's just pre-emptive judgment for now. If it's a complaint or concern, you take it as a negative. When it's praise, it's A-okay? Stop it. No one will know until they hold it in their hands (which I said earlier as well.) Right now, we can voice our opinions, but that's all they are. No one will know until the thing comes out. I honestly don't know why you have to boldly defend Nintendo's originality. No one is even making a big deal about that.

With that being said, I still feel the button placement maybe a bit awkward for Smash. I'm just trying to envision the controller in my hand. Thumb down, pressing the inputs where the "right analog" would be on a 360 controller, while my index controls the triggers. Might take a while getting used too. That's all.

John2k4

The End of an Era
@Wez - With how easy it seemss to be to put a gyro in something, I wouldn't be surprised if the Pro controller had tilt/motion sensing, too.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Calm down. No one here was accusing Nintendo of being unoriginal for copying the Xbox controller (or whatever you wanna call it.) It is what it is. It is drawing comparisons to the 360 controller, and you can't deny the similarities at first glance. I even joked earlier about it saying that when Nintendo is the one copying, it's perfectly acceptable. However, when the other two companies do it, Nintendo goes up in arms about it.
I'm calm, I just see a lot of people on the internet being really petty about the controller, when honestly it is what a lot of people wanted. That message was going out to everyone.

If it's a complaint or concern, you take it as a negative. When it's praise, it's A-okay? Stop it.
Assumption, I don't know where you are getting that. Just looking for things that are unjustified, be they positive or negative. Stop it. :p

Edit: That picture was a lot funnier than the actual video. :laugh: In fact, the video was kind of meh, mostly just portrayed what the Wii U does in a quirky way.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Yep that's why I want an off option for the miiverse, I got too many games spoiled for me this year already, I don't want the miiverse to be spoilers thrown into my face all day everyday.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That 360 pic was funny, and that sequence above was hilarious.

Not to mention Sony and Microsoft are constantly ripping off Nintendo, so for Nintendo to have a controller that's similar, yet still different from an XBOX controller... people have to give Nintendo credit for trying. As I said earlier, it's a compact, comfortable version of the Wii U Pad minus the touch screen.
I'm not complaining. These companies copy eachother in one way or another. I won't be some fanboy for either company and shun dvelopers for being inspired by something. As long as its good, I'm fine with it.

Anyway, I can't believe that Black WiiU went right over my head. How could I not notice that?

Top Bottom