• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo games are appealing on their own way. Part of this charm comes from their games design which has that "kiddie" feeling to it. Look at NSMB for Wii, at first glance it's a game originally designed to draw attention from kids, but when you play it you forget all these things. It's like we really go back to the 90's for a moment and we stop caring if the game is "mature enough". It's all about enjoying the ride.

I'm glad my friends grew up playing the same games than me (at my house mostly lol), so they don't see Nintendo as a developer for "kids only". People who cannot enjoy a game because of its "for-the-family" visuals are insecure about their own maturity.

I'm already sick of dealing with mature things in real life that are pretty stressing. Games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario Bros. are a bless sent from the skies in my case.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Nintendo games are appealing on their own way. Part of this charm comes from their games design which has that "kiddie" feeling to it. Look at NSMB for Wii, at first glance it's a game originally designed to draw attention from kids, but when you play it you forget all these things. It's like we really go back to the 90's for a moment and we stop caring if the game is "mature enough". It's all about enjoying the ride.

I'm glad my friends grew up playing the same games than me (at my house mostly lol), so they don't see Nintendo as a developer for "kids only". People who cannot enjoy a game because of its "for-the-family" visuals are insecure about their own maturity.

I'm already sick of dealing with mature things in real life that are pretty stressing. Games like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or New Super Mario Bros. are a bless sent from the skies in my case.
This is so true, I am tired of people hating on Nintendo just because they say Nintendo has "kiddie" games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ironically, the people that are calling Nintendo kiddy are also children that only play Call of Duty.

Besides, Nintendo actually gets away with a lot of subtly disturbing images. It's just that we're to busy with playing the game to realize it, unless you pause for a second and think about it.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Oh man, is Nintendo really going to attempt the applause-meter again? Just because my love of a console ranks at about $400 doesn't mean I can necessarily afford (or want to pay) $400 for it. Nintendo tried to gank the world with its 3DS pricing and ended up with disappointing sales. The console is simply the platform. Any console maker should focus on deploying as many units as possible and profiting on games, licenses, and dev kits as possible. It's fine for Nintendo to make a profit on each unit, but trying to sneak in some last-minute greed will only (ironically) reduce revenue.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think some people should realize the difference between family games, cartoony games, kiddy games, teen games, mature games, and adults only games. Some assume that if its not mature its only for kids, which is annoying.

And about the Galaxy games and most Mario platformers, I love them because it does have a bright atmosphere, but they also can have a strange unsettling evilness about them. That's what I love about all the platformers I mentioned, not just from Nintendo. You can see an evil force that's very vile and disturbing.

Ironically, the people that are calling Nintendo kiddy are also children that only play Call of Duty.

Besides, Nintendo actually gets away with a lot of subtly disturbing images. It's just that we're to busy with playing the game to realize it, unless you pause for a second and think about it.
Yeah, in Galaxy 1 and 2, you prematurely hatch a Pirahna plant baby and then kill it for energy to power a ship.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Uh that photo was LEAKED from someone on twitter.

And considering this will be Nintendo's first console that costs as much as the others, I really don't see the reason to complain.

UberMario

Smash Master
Yeah, in Galaxy 1 and 2, you prematurely hatch a Pirahna plant baby and then kill it for energy to power a ship.
That's nothing. Kirby has defeated eyeballs that gouge out themselves mid-battle, Yoshi's diet mainly consists of sentient beings, Mario had enslaved Donkey Kong on more than one occasion, Fire Emblem practically revolves around death, Pikmin involves suicide attacks, Link almost lost the majority of his childhood to nothingness, Samus is an orphan due to murder, Pokemon is basically family-friendly underground pitbull-fighting and Star Fox begins with the player battling in an inhabited metropolitan area that is being obliterated by terrorist bombing. Did I miss anything? lol

EDIT:
Of course I miss the obvious one.
And Giygas, just Giygas. The whole concept of the battle and what comes before it is the stuff of nightmares.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
[glow]Have you guys heard about the brand new rumor about the Starfox and Metroid crossover game? I REALLY hope it's true it would be amazing to see and it's rumored to be developed by Retro Studious who were also rumored to be working on a new Starfox.[/glow]

What do you guys think?

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
[glow]Have you guys heard about the brand new rumor about the Starfox and Metroid crossover game? I REALLY hope it's true it would be amazing to see and it's rumored to be developed by Retro Studious who were also rumored to be working on a new Starfox.[/glow]

What do you guys think?
Sounds cool but I'm gonna wait for an official announcement before I take it seriously.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Star Fox needs something after the small hiatus, even if its an unexpected crossover. But I do wonder how the game would utilize the unique Wii U controller to its advantage.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Star Fox needs something after the small hiatus, even if its an unexpected crossover. But I do wonder how the game would utilize the unique Wii U controller to its advantage.
Miyamoto always said he wanted to use the Wii's motion controls or something innovative but I'm not expecting that as much with the Wii U controller which is good because I don't want motion controls for my arwing. But yes, it would be interesting to see how they use the Wii U controller with Starfox. I'm guessing that you will have an inside viewof your arwing on your Wii U tablet screen while you have the traditional arwing gameplay on the Tv.

yani

Smash Lord
I believe the Starfox x Metroid rumor. The source has been correct before, announcing Sony Smash before Sony did.

:phone:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I believe the Starfox x Metroid rumor. The source has been correct before, announcing Sony Smash before Sony did.

:phone:
I also heard that they announced Dk returns and metroid prime 3 before they were truly announced. Just got to wait till E3 and see if this is real... I want it to be real so bad.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
A Metroid x Star Fox reveal would be more than enough to hype me up

I wouldn't even need any Smash 4 news at E3
Same here, I don't really expect much news for Sm4sh anyway. It hasn't been in development for long and is obviously not going to be out for years so I'm just going to wait patiently for Sm4sh.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Any news related to Metroid or Star Fox is indeed more than enough to get me happy and hyped. Further news about Pikimin 3 would make me crazy (I have been waiting for years to play a third game, but none came out for Wii, which made me wonder why... Wii had the perfect controls for Pikimin, and they didn't bother to developer a new one).

Also, I think that pretty much any news about a new F-Zero for Wii-U would make this the best E3 in years.

Oh, a new Animal Crossing would be fantastic. ._. I love that franchise, I own all versions of the game for both consoles and handheld. I don't play it that much, though. My family does. :p

Anyway... Metroid + Retro Studios?????? That's the winning formula. I hope Retro Studios can do to the Star Fox franchise the same it did to Metroid. *-*

Ugh, E3 is on its way and I have a feeling it won't disappoint.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
From what Paul Gale is saying...the StarFox and Metroid game would be basically...two different games in one. Arwing battles in space, first person personal adventures with Samus. Kinda...wrong way to go about it if you ask me.

M@v

Subarashii!
I don't know...as much as I love those series, a crossover seems ******** for a plot....

....at least itll save me money with 2 games in 1 :troll:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
From what Paul Gale is saying...the StarFox and Metroid game would be basically...two different games in one. Arwing battles in space, first person personal adventures with Samus. Kinda...wrong way to go about it if you ask me.
[glow]I love the idea because it's 2 of some of my favorite franchises coming together. [/glow]

Also, what do you guys think about the recent wii U news? its rumored to have a 350-450 price range and we can use 2 tablets on one Wii U now instead of just 1. IMO, we should just be able to support 4 if its the system main controller which it is.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nintendo's the Disney of the videogame industry, and that's not a bad thing.

Even if it's not true, I'm at least expecting a new Starfox game considering all the Starfox retro studio rumors that keep popping up everywhere.
Starfox is kind of like Megaman in that both need an update how they're played. Megaman's original design (i.e. the main series) wouldn't survive in today's industry outside of downloadable games.

Starfox Assault, I think, was a step in the right direction, but I'd like so see more flying levels and refined ground combat (like pull some pages from Ninja Gaiden or something).

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I heard Nintendo is returning to their hardcore gamers. YIPPYY!!!
Yup, the only thing Nintendo didn't have is the 3rd party HD games we did have the Nintendo games though. Now we have both!

Starfox is kind of like Megaman in that both need an update how they're played. Megaman's original design (i.e. the main series) wouldn't survive in today's industry outside of downloadable games.

Starfox Assault, I think, was a step in the right direction, but I'd like so see more flying levels and refined ground combat (like pull some pages from Ninja Gaiden or something).
That's what Retro is going to be doing with Starfox, improved flying and ground missions. Another thing I love about ground gameplay is that it makes multiplayer much more interesting. If all we had online was dogfights, then the fun of online wouldn't last as long but on ground and in the air make it much more interesting which is probably why Starfox Assault's multiplayer was really fun.

finalark

SNORLAX
IMO Starfox x Metroid is a ****ing stupid idea. Aside from both being science fiction those two have nothing in common in terms of style, atmosphere, or game play.

Its like Spyro x Dragon Age.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I could see the crossover working, but they would have to seriously grit up Starfox.

Moreover, I just htink that that crossover is really unnecessary. There's nothing about those two franchises that would bring anything unique and fresh by combining with one another. You could easily make Metroid-styled SHMUP levels, or make a Metroidvania Starfox level...but like, what's the point? Wouldn't it be neater to have more different franchises so when you incorporate both gameplay types, it makes for a more varied and exciting experience.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Leave Metroid alone. Star Fox and F-Zero should crossover. Hell, James McCloud has been in F-Zero since X, and there's an alternate ending in Star Fox Command where Fox and Falco convert their Arwings into racers for the "G-Zero Grand Prix":

Star Fox and Metroid have less to do with eachother than Star Fox and F-Zero. F-Zero is dying, so use Fox to revive ol' Falcon. Plus, Falcon + Falco romance and ****..

finalark

SNORLAX
Actually Spire has a pretty good point in crossing over Star Fox and F-Zero. But since Metroid is the more popular franchise its going to get more attention.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
A Star Fox and Metroid crossover might solve the whole relation conflict thing by using the whole "dimensional portals" plot setting used in several Sci-fi films and shows. Somewhat cliche, but it gets the job done.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Leave Metroid alone. Star Fox and F-Zero should crossover. Hell, James McCloud has been in F-Zero since X, and there's an alternate ending in Star Fox Command where Fox and Falco convert their Arwings into racers for the "G-Zero Grand Prix":

Star Fox and Metroid have less to do with eachother than Star Fox and F-Zero. F-Zero is dying, so use Fox to revive ol' Falcon. Plus, Falcon + Falco romance and ****..
Wow, just wow...

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

While I would love to see this, Starfox and F-zero probably dont fit as well together gameplay wise compared to Metroid because they both involve shooting while F-zero is racing. But I would be very happy either way

finalark

SNORLAX
While I would love to see this, Starfox and F-zero probably dont fit as well together gameplay wise compared to Metroid because they both involve shooting while F-zero is racing. But I would be very happy either way
Saying that Star Fox and Metroid should be crossed over because they both involve shooting is like saying that Elder Scrolls and Halo should be crossed over because they both have first person combat.

The problem is that Star Fox is about fast combat and you always have a sense of teamwork and whimsy as your animal bros always are messaging you to give you advice or request help.

Metroid on the other hand is all about slow exploration and discovery with an oppressive sense of loneliness since you are generally the only thing on the planet that isn't dead or trying to kill you.

Basically, Metroid is akin to Alien while Star Fox is akin to Star Wars. Kinda.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Saying that Star Fox and Metroid should be crossed over because they both involve shooting is like saying that Elder Scrolls and Halo should be crossed over because they both have first person combat.

The problem is that Star Fox is about fast combat and you always have a sense of teamwork and whimsy as your animal bros always are messaging you to give you advice or request help.

Metroid on the other hand is all about slow exploration and discovery with an oppressive sense of loneliness since you are generally the only thing on the planet that isn't dead or trying to kill you.

Basically, Metroid is akin to Alien while Star Fox is akin to Star Wars. Kinda.
I didn't say that starfox fits together well with metroid, I just said they fit together better than F-zero.

finalark

SNORLAX
I didn't say that starfox fits together well with metroid, I just said they fit together better than F-zero.
I disagree, I think that in terms of style Starfox meshes much better with F-Zero.

As far as game play goes none of those games should even touch each other though.

Top Bottom