• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Ove

Smash Journeyman
The Gamecube controller is amazing, I hope Nintendo will feature a Gamecube controller that you can connect to the Wii remote in the future. That would enable Smash 4 with real controllers! :D

wezai

Smash Journeyman
The Gamecube controller is amazing, I hope Nintendo will feature a Gamecube controller that you can connect to the Wii remote in the future. That would enable Smash 4 with real controllers! :D
Nah, and have a Wii-mote on your lap all the time? Or above the table where it can be easily knocked out unless you tie it down? I think there could be better approaches. Maybe come up with a "Classic GameCube Controller" which would be wireless (and better and lighter than a WaveBird pls xD).

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
QFT. I just ordered another 2 GC controllers. My black one is too much beaten up, it's Control Stick barely works.
Lol, playing Melee can definitely wear down your controller. And in Brawl the controls aren't as sensitive as they are in Melee, so I have a controller where the C-stick barely works in Brawl but works completely fine in Melee.

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Nah, and have a Wii-mote on your lap all the time? Or above the table where it can be easily knocked out unless you tie it down? I think there could be better approaches. Maybe come up with a "Classic GameCube Controller" which would be wireless (and better and lighter than a WaveBird pls xD).
Well, if you make a long wire for it, that's not going to be an issue. Then you can put the Wiimote on the floor or why not beside you? I don't think your wiimote will break if you knock it out :p

A wireless solution is optimal, but my suggestion is very practicable.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Although I defended the CC, having the wii-mote awkwardly placed somewhere is a huge design flaw, not sure what Nintendo was thinking with that.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Although I defended the CC, having the wii-mote awkwardly placed somewhere is a huge design flaw, not sure what Nintendo was thinking with that.
yea, I agree but if they had to do this with a GC controller remake for Wii U I wouldn't mind it as long as we get a GC controller.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
yea, I agree but if they had to do this with a GC controller remake for Wii U I wouldn't mind it as long as we get a GC controller.
Amen! xD

Why do I want a GC controller (despite the fact that I'm getting 2 new ones)? Because I still have hopes that they will design SSB4 with light and strong shields ! Analog FTW! But seeing how the CC has digital buttons instead of analogs, I think they will implement the same shield used in Brawl. :c

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Amen! xD

Why do I want a GC controller (despite the fact that I'm getting 2 new ones)? Because I still have hopes that they will design SSB4 with light and strong shields ! Analog FTW! But seeing how the CC has digital buttons instead of analogs, I think they will implement the same shield used in Brawl. :c
I wouldn't expect that many Melee elements in SSB4 compared to Brawl elements. (even though they say they are going for something entirely new) I would love to see real shield pressure again though.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't expect that many Melee elements in SSB4 compared to Brawl elements. (even though they say they are going for something entirely new) I would love to see real shield pressure again though.
Yeah, if they wanted to implement the light/heavy shield scheme they could make it work even with Wii-motes or CC and GC controllers: Hit the button once for a light shield > hit the button twice asap for a heavy shield. No midterms between them, though.

Anyway, depending how heavy that Wii U tablet is, I might not even need a Classic Controller! Gonna bring that to gaming tourneys and stuff, haters gonna hate. :laugh: The only downside is that I can't get used to the regular A B X Y buttons which are too spread, like the old SNES era.

IMO the GameCube controller was an evolution when it comes to these 4 buttons, comfortably placed in such a way that our thumb can handle them all without much effort:

B is pretty solid, hardened so it can endure repeated hits should a game developer choose to have such mechanic;

A is big, smooth and was designed to be the main button. We can't miss it, our thumbs can press it all the time and they won't ache or get any callus. Note that it's easy to slide your thumb on its surface.

X and Y are smooth, they were designed to be the "expansions" of the A button. You can utilize the side of your thumb if you wanna press X without a problem, while you still have that finger focused on A, same goes to Y, but instead the side you can use the tip of your thumb.

Plus, all of them are relatively close, so you don't need an extra effort to browse through them while playing a fast-paced game and it's easy as hell to press 2 of them at the same time.

So yeah, that's what I don't understand, Nintendo evolved when it comes to placing the fundamental A B X Y buttons but for some reason they didn't stick to it. They were giving too much priority to the virtual console, which lead them to go back to the old formula (that I understand, games were basically developed with that scheme of buttons and Control pad, releasing a controller with the same old style would be nostalgic and actually good. I was okay with that, but then when they released that Classic Controller Pro I was like, wtf?).

They could improve it by a lot, making justice to its name. But instead, they stuck with the ancient controller design and just added 2 extra buttons and handles. WHAAATT?? We already have the Classic Controller for all that nostalgia, why would we need this one? Besides, they didn't even bother to swap the Control Pad with the Control Stick, which makes a good difference.

Oh well, there's nothing much I can do. I'm glad they already allowed us to use our good and ol' GC controllers on Wii. xD

Sorry for the rant, guys. A man gotta do what a man gotta do. Keep in mind I'm being a little dramatic, I Just don't understand Nintendo sometimes. ;p

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Yeah, if they wanted to implement the light/heavy shield scheme they could make it work even with Wii-motes or CC and GC controllers: Hit the button once for a light shield > hit the button twice asap for a heavy shield. No midterms between them, though.

Anyway, depending how heavy that Wii U tablet is, I might not even need a Classic Controller! Gonna bring that to gaming tourneys and stuff, haters gonna hate. :laugh: The only downside is that I can't get used to the regular A B X Y buttons which are too spread, like the old SNES era.

IMO the GameCube controller was an evolution when it comes to these 4 buttons, comfortably placed in such a way that our thumb can handle them all without much effort:

B is pretty solid, hardened so it can endure repeated hits should a game developer choose to have such mechanic;

A is big, smooth and was designed to be the main button. We can't miss it, our thumbs can press it all the time and they won't ache or get any callus. Note that it's easy to slide your thumb on its surface.

X and Y are smooth, they were designed to be the "expansions" of the A button. You can utilize the side of your thumb if you wanna press X without a problem, while you still have that finger focused on A, same goes to Y, but instead the side you can use the tip of your thumb.

Plus, all of them are relatively close, so you don't need an extra effort to browse through them while playing a fast-paced game and it's easy as hell to press 2 of them at the same time.

So yeah, that's what I don't understand, Nintendo evolved when it comes to placing the fundamental A B X Y buttons but for some reason they didn't stick to it. They were giving too much priority to the virtual console, which lead them to go back to the old formula (that I understand, games were basically developed with that scheme of buttons and Control pad, releasing a controller with the same old style would be nostalgic and actually good. I was okay with that, but then when they released that Classic Controller Pro I was like, wtf?).

They could improve it by a lot, making justice to its name. But instead, they stuck with the ancient controller design and just added 2 extra buttons and handles. WHAAATT?? We already have the Classic Controller for all that nostalgia, why would we need this one? Besides, they didn't even bother to swap the Control Pad with the Control Stick, which makes a good difference.

Oh well, there's nothing much I can do. I'm glad they already allowed us to use our good and ol' GC controllers on Wii. xD

Sorry for the rant, guys. A man gotta do what a man gotta do. Keep in mind I'm being a little dramatic, I Just don't understand Nintendo sometimes. ;p
[glow]I agree with the button placement on the GC controller. They were all placed so well and were a good size. All the other controllers button placement weren't near as good so it's not as comfortable.

I was kind of hoping that with the Wii U they would go back to more traditional type controllers, the Tablet is just so big and weird. It could maybe work though, I'll just have to wait and see how it controls.[/glow]

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I'm not personally looking forward to the new controller for the Wii U. It seems like they are straying pretty far from the working formula, so we'll just have to see how it turns out.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
except the WiiU's controller isn't a controller. It's an iPad with buttons.

finalark

SNORLAX
except the WiiU's controller isn't a controller. It's an iPad with buttons.
Well that's the Wii U's gimmick and I'm sure Nintendo is going to stick with it to some degree. Because god knows that they can't make a console with some sort of gimmick ever since the GC came in third.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'm not personally looking forward to the new controller for the Wii U. It seems like they are straying pretty far from the working formula, so we'll just have to see how it turns out.
I'm kind of sorta liking the controller a little bit. Just not for Sm4sh, I want my GC controller back when playing Sm4sh.

I was hoping they would go back to a more traditional controller similiar to the GC controller, but the Wii U controller may be alright.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
My problem is that they are banking on the CC as a whole to be used for competitive fighting. Granted, the GC controller was not taken seriously either outside of Smash. Like any competitive fighter know, players prefer their controller to be plugged in, so lag is reduced. Let's say if they did have a CC controller you could plug in, would that warrant competitive fighters to use that controller? What about those who want arcade sticks? I'm sure that wouldn't be impossible, but it has to at least be made accessible to the Wii U rather than neglected.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Plus, people have demonstrated that too many wireless controllers in one area (for a geographically local tournament) lead to severe interference.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My problem is that they are banking on the CC as a whole to be used for competitive fighting. Granted, the GC controller was not taken seriously either outside of Smash. Like any competitive fighter know, players prefer their controller to be plugged in, so lag is reduced. Let's say if they did have a CC controller you could plug in, would that warrant competitive fighters to use that controller? What about those who want arcade sticks? I'm sure that wouldn't be impossible, but it has to at least be made accessible to the Wii U rather than neglected.
Well... if they do create CC controllers that you can plug in (which I'm expecting), then it wouldn't be surprising if there will be arcade sticks that you can plug in as well.
I mean, the Wii U has USB ports, iirc, so it's not going to be any different than what's been done on 360 and PS3 (controllers plugged via USB or converters).

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
That's dumb. It's a controller. HAving a screen doesn't invalidate something from being a controller, especially when it is otherwise very traditional as a gamepad.
Yes. Except 3 times larger, twice as heavy, and only 1 can be used on a WiiU at any given time.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
None of that = not a controller.
Never said I disagreed with you. Read better.

Nope. They confirmed otherwise a while ago:

Wii U can support more than one tablet

And the controllers won't be sold seperately

And abot the heaviness and size, I left this on this very thread a while back:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/121/1216452p1.html

Info like this should be put on the front page if they haven't been up already.
We'll I'll be damned.

Now all we have to worry about is the controller being twice as large and heavy as it would be without a screen (aka the Classic controller), it being wireless, and the mediocre button layout, with no alternate viable control schemes!

So we have a supersized, upside-down classic controller with a bit of extra weight. CC isn't beautiful to begin with, either. Extra size would actually be nice for the tiny-*** CC, just not as much at the WiiU controller makes it.

May I add it's still wireless with NO wired options?

Anyone?
Anyone?
No?
Only I see this?

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
The Wii U controller (I agree)does like it is an Ipad with buttons. They make it look like that even more when they show people playing checkers and drawing pictures on the tablet like they are apps or something. CC is awful i think, but The Tablet might play alright when playing Sm4sh if we get to play a game with it and see how it feels.

I will still always hope and want the GC controller

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
We'll I'll be damned.

Now all we have to worry about is the controller being twice as large and heavy as it would be without a screen (aka the Classic controller), it being wireless, and the mediocre button layout, with no alternate viable control schemes!

So we have a supersized, upside-down classic controller with a bit of extra weight. CC isn't beautiful to begin with, either. Extra size would actually be nice for the tiny-*** CC, just not as much at the WiiU controller makes it.

May I add it's still wireless with NO wired options?

Anyone?
Anyone?
No?
Only I see this?
E3's only a month away.

EDIT: And, if its pretty light to begin with and there's no screen, why should we worry about the size?

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Seriously, why are people still complaining about the bloody controller? Just say good-bye and thanks for the memories GC, and pray for a wired CC. (Also, Sakurai, make Smash fight stick compatible. That would be sick.)

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
So XSEED is looking into a limited edition version of The Last Story :awesome:

source
I love the things you post yani. They were suppose to have said yay or nay months ago on that subject..

http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1224426p1.html

Also, if this is true, then I think I am going to have to spend almost 300 dollars in Wii U games. .___. Granted, only Pikmin 3 on here seems like a must-buy.

yani

Smash Lord
I knew you'd like that Holder :awesome:

The Blockbuster UK was claimed to be what they were speculating for the launch line up. It's possible that they were just trying to cover it up, but who knows

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Why the heck is Rayman Origins called Rayman ORIGINS... that word has nothing to do with the game. @_@ Is it because it is 2D?

wezai

Smash Journeyman
All right, so the best F-Zero game ever will be released for Wii U! :D

Why will it be a success? Because let's speculate:

-We will be able to share our records and replays online with the possibility of anyone racing our ghosts;
-There's gonna be online multiplayer, playing with our friends will be cool!
-A possible multiplayer for STORY-MODE, either online, split screen OR one player using the TV and another one using the Wii U controller;
-Online tourneys, compete for rare spacecraft parts!

Yes, yes. The online feature will improve a lot our experience, also:

-Beautiful graphics. F-Zero has a very gorgeous art-style, imagine all those track themes rendered by the Wii-U engine?

Anyway, I can see myself in the near future playing this game a lot should it come to the Wii U. Playing countless times in the same track to get a perfect time. Getting the best positions in every tournament, unlocking all parts and etc etc.

Do it Nintendo! :@

Top Bottom