• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

finalark

SNORLAX
DS, DS XL, and DSi as well before even the 3DS.
The moral of the story is that the only time Nintendo has every come up with new names was the Nintendo 64, Game Cube and Wii. Virtual Boy doesn't really count because it takes after Game Boy.

I think the only company that I know of that ever consistently gave their consoles new names was SEGA.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yep. I don't really care what Nintendo calls there stuff, the Wii U name is fine with me. The only problem is that Nintendo is afraid of ******** people who don't look up information at all may think it is an add-on to the original Wii. I mean, the other systems keep the same name and simply add something, yet people don't ever think that way. All they have to do is showcase the system itself more, all of the attention was on the controllers in its first appearance. That is the only reason Nintendo is concerned about the name. And fortunately, they are showcasing the Wii U more than ever this E3, so I doubt the name will change, all of their problems should be fixed unless you're particularly stupid or ignorant.

Oh, and off topic, but in June The Last Story comes out and has online multiplayer. When the time comes we need to get some games going. :D

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I didn't think the DSi, XL, L etc. didn't count since Rey were simply expansions that optimized the original hardware on the DSPhat.

Besides, M$ has done it too with their Xbox line, so has $ony with their Playstation brand, and, if we count phones as gaming devices, so has Apple with their iPhone line.

And let's not forget how many IPs Nintendo's come up with. Pretty much most games Nintendo comes out with these days are all Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon games. It's rare to hear Nintendo making original stuff nowadays, and frankly, I don't blame them. Why fix something that's broken? As long as those franchises keep bringing in money for Nintendo, they're not going to be too trigger happy on the originality for a long while. Given that the Wii sold nearly twice as much more than the other companies combined this gen and the DS easily became the most popular handheld, I seriously can't blame them for continuing the Wii and DS line if it's going to give them more money due to brand recognition

Although to be fair, Nintendo has been more original with the console names than the others, with the N64 and GC and all though they probably didn't go with another N64 console because we don't even play in bits anymore and I'm guessing the GC since the Wii didn't look like neither a cube nor did Nintendo want the console to be associated with one of the least srs consoles of the gen
:phone:

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Yep. I don't really care what Nintendo calls there stuff, the Wii U name is fine with me. The only problem is that Nintendo is afraid of ******** people who don't look up information at all may think it is an add-on to the original Wii. I mean, the other systems keep the same name and simply add something, yet people don't ever think that way. All they have to do is showcase the system itself more, all of the attention was on the controllers in its first appearance. That is the only reason Nintendo is concerned about the name. And fortunately, they are showcasing the Wii U more than ever this E3, so I doubt the name will change, all of their problems should be fixed unless you're particularly stupid or ignorant.

Oh, and off topic, but in June The Last Story comes out and has online multiplayer. When the time comes we need to get some games going. :D
Perhaps I'm mistaken but isn't The Last Story an rpg? Why the hell does it have multiplayer?

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Perhaps I'm mistaken but isn't The Last Story an rpg? Why the hell does it have multiplayer?
Well first off, RPGs have multiplayer all the time, even turn based ones can work. The Last Story isn't even turned based, you pick a character from the story-line (you can even be some generic enemies) and straight up run around fighting Kid Icarus Uprising style. Just go to youtube and watch a video of it.

You can also do some co-op things but I'm not as interested in that.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Well first off, RPGs have multiplayer all the time, even turn based ones can work. The Last Story isn't even turned based, you pick a character from the story-line (you can even be some generic enemies) and straight up run around fighting Kid Icarus Uprising style. Just go to youtube and watch a video of it.

You can also do some co-op things but I'm not as interested in that.
Sounds fun, I'll definitely check it out.

finalark

SNORLAX
Besides, M$ has done it too with their Xbox line, so has $ony with their Playstation brand, and, if we count phones as gaming devices, so has Apple with their iPhone line.
Well yeah. Its called brand recognition. Consumers are more likely to buy something that shares the name of a product they had a positive experience with. Hence why Sony has been using the PlayStation name since 1995.

And let's not forget how many IPs Nintendo's come up with. Pretty much most games Nintendo comes out with these days are all Mario, Kirby, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon games. It's rare to hear Nintendo making original stuff nowadays, and frankly, I don't blame them. Why fix something that's broken? As long as those franchises keep bringing in money for Nintendo, they're not going to be too trigger happy on the originality for a long while. Given that the Wii sold nearly twice as much more than the other companies combined this gen and the DS easily became the most popular handheld, I seriously can't blame them for continuing the Wii and DS line if it's going to give them more money due to brand recognition
Yep. People complain about Nintendo not really doing much with their other brands but lets be totally honest, how many of you actually bought the Punch Out remake brand new? Or lets say that Nintendo were to release a Kid Icarus game for the Wii U when a new Zelda for the Wii U is planned to come out within a few weeks? Be honest, most of you would rather spend your sixty on the Zelda game over the Kid Icarus one unless you're a die hard Kid Icarus fan.

Although to be fair, Nintendo has been more original with the console names than the others, with the N64 and GC and all though they probably didn't go with another N64 console because we don't even play in bits anymore and I'm guessing the GC since the Wii didn't look like neither a cube nor did Nintendo want the console to be associated with one of the least srs consoles of the gen:phone:

I don't know what you're on but the GC had plenty of "serious" games. Its just that Nintendo wasn't able to really shake the "kiddie" image SEGA had implanted on them in the SNES/Genesis era. That ended up hurting them in the long run when Xbox basically did the same thing and tried to cement itself as the "mature" (mature as in a 15 year old kids idea of "mature") console. Sony on the other hand pretty much steamrolled the competition with the PlayStation name alone.

On top of that, the Wii feels like its trying to serious and more that its trying to imitate the sleek, white, minimalist design of the iPod.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yep. People complain about Nintendo not really doing much with their other brands but lets be totally honest, how many of you actually bought the Punch Out remake brand new? Or lets say that Nintendo were to release a Kid Icarus game for the Wii U when a new Zelda for the Wii U is planned to come out within a few weeks? Be honest, most of you would rather spend your sixty on the Zelda game over the Kid Icarus one unless you're a die hard Kid Icarus fan.
Be smart about your market management and not release a game like that right before a big game? Far as the Wii goes, they were averaging about 2-3 big releases per year. If you can't stretch it per 3 months, then something is wrong with you and how you're marketing your games. A Kid Icarus, Pikmin, or anything else for that matter would have success. I'm actually worried that having Pikmin on release day with Mario Bros might do what you have implied to Pikmin.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I found this video interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sop_gAFjf8I

This guy is talking about the Wii-U name, I think I agree with him in some parts. My reaction back then when I heard about Nintendo Wii is way different than the reaction of when I heard about Wii U. I felt too indifferent about the name right now, I just cannot dig it.
IMO even Wii 2 would be better than Wii U, but I guess Nintendo is following the "everyone will play it" mentality, which leads them to come with a pretty easy name to say (even my grandmother can pronounce Wii, as opposed to PlayStation or Xbox), now Wii-U is easier to pronounce than Wii 2 if you think of it, in case your grandmother also plays video games, she will be able to say good things about this particular brand without much effort, even if she is not with her dentures on!

I like Nintendo's perspective, but I think there could be better solutions. Lol, but let's not make a fuss about this, all these arguments are very subjective. I just wonder what is the % of the population out there who actually like the new name, that would clarify a lot! :D

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I don't expect Nintendo to keep wii-u as the official name for the console.
I was kind of thinking they'd just call it the Wii 2, but there are more names in mind that Nintendo is aware of.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
They should just call it the Revolution. I'm not too concerned about the name though, I'm just hoping Nintendo can get a lot of 3rd party support.

John2k4

The End of an Era
Revolution was the code name for the current Wii. Hence why the product codes on accessories and whatnot start with RVL-####. ;)

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I don't expect Nintendo to keep wii-u as the official name for the console.
I was kind of thinking they'd just call it the Wii 2, but there are more names in mind that Nintendo is aware of.
The Wii 2 name would be even worse than Wii U lol. I'm just worried that people who didn't like the normal Wii won't get the wrong idea and think that the Wii U is just like the Wii, just with little improvements here and there. I have already been seeing this though.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
The Wii 2 name would be even worse than Wii U lol. I'm just worried that people who didn't like the normal Wii won't get the wrong idea and think that the Wii U is just like the Wii, just with little improvements here and there. I have already been seeing this though.
Exactly. They are just keeping the Wii name because they want the same consumers buying it again (casuals), that is also why that E3 presentation was such a failure ("Oh look! You can switch between the tv and your controller and we will emphasize that A LOT!").

Their console will be a success again, specially now with third-party support, even though the way they showed the Wii U to the world was not one of the best ways, it will be a success nonetheless.

We are getting third-party support? Great, we will have a lot of good franchises coming to this console, but what I'm more worried about is Nintendo's own franchises. I don't want "dumbed" down kind of games, they have been getting too much casual. *Tries to imagine how casual SSB4 will be* :scared: Ah, I hope I'm wrong, one can only hope...

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
So what do you guys think is better? Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro? I already have the Classic Controller, but I never used it because all the games that could use CC could also allow me to use the Gamecube controller. But the Wii U is probably going to come out around Christmas so I thought maybe I should get the Classic Controller Pro but only if its better than the normal Classic Controller which I already own.

finalark

SNORLAX
Initially when Nintendo announced it at E3 most people thought that the Wii U was just another controller for the Wii. This is due to Nintendo's ridiculous focus on the controller.

Damn Nintendo and their gimmick consoles.

yani

Smash Lord
So what do you guys think is better? Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro? I already have the Classic Controller, but I never used it because all the games that could use CC could also allow me to use the Gamecube controller. But the Wii U is probably going to come out around Christmas so I thought maybe I should get the Classic Controller Pro but only if its better than the normal Classic Controller which I already own.
CCP is the way to go. Much more comfy to hold + it adds the shoulder buttons the way they should be.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
http://www.gamekult.com/actu/rayman-legends-premiere-video-wii-u-A101141.html

Rayman Legends leaked Wii U trailer

Nintendo of Japan revealed stuff in their investors briefing.

- NSMB2 3DS is a physical/digital dual release
- all Wii U games will be available digitally, presumably on the day of release
- Wii U launching in 2012 worldwide
- no price will be announced at e3
Saw the Rayman trailer. Man I love the music and sounds in that game. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and play devil's advocate. Kinda funny that the Kinect originally promoted the idea of "scanning" things onto the game, and now Nintendo is doing it.

wezai

Smash Journeyman
http://www.gamekult.com/actu/rayman-legends-premiere-video-wii-u-A101141.html

Rayman Legends leaked Wii U trailer

Nintendo of Japan revealed stuff in their investors briefing.

- NSMB2 3DS is a physical/digital dual release
- all Wii U games will be available digitally, presumably on the day of release
- Wii U launching in 2012 worldwide
- no price will be announced at e3
Loving the way they are making content to be used with the Wii U controller. It adds a lot of possibilities, like that multiplayer as we could see. So many possibilities! XD

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I guess I better practice smashing on a CCP. I just hate being slave to batteries. X_X

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wow, that Rayman Legends game looks good.

I never got a chance to play much of Origins yet though

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The platforming felt really stale to me when compared to SM64 and Galaxy. I guess it was mostly due to the absence of many of Mario's staple platforming moves that I was accustomed to having at my disposal (his long jump, crouch, back flip, etc.) combined with the whole FLUDD gimmick that I never came to fully appreciate.

Maybe if I didn't play Sunshine after the other 3D console Marios I would appreciate it more but meh...

wezai

Smash Journeyman
Super Mario Sunshine is the only Super Mario platformer that I do not own, but I used to rent it. Oh gawd, I used to love it, all the secret coins and secret passages that would lead me to those crazy levels with rotating cubes and platforms. So fun! :)

Anyway, if there is a game that I want to see for the Wii U is a game like Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, IMO the best SNES game ever! It's a shame that not that many people appreciated it (because it was fairly late, it came out when people were into PS and Nintendo was announcing their next gen video game).

There is an Yoshi's Island for DS, I'm playing it as I write this and it's pretty good so far. The art-style of this game is incredible, I can only imagine what beautiful graphics the Wii U engine would render for this style of game. And I'm having some crazy cute ideas for the Wii U controller as well for an Yoshi's Island game. Do it Nintendo! D:

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How fun was Rayman Origins, and is it a must-buy Wii platformer? That Legends looks... wow.

Top Bottom