• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii Classic Controller Pro

ThePika

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I love your forums but this is the first time Ive decided to post.

Today in the US the Wii Classic Controller Pro was released. It costs 20$. I am wondering if it would be an optimal control system for Brawl. I currently use a wiimote (which is all good except that I can't use my strong up move (I jump instead) and I can't do certain tricks that you guys post). I do not own a gamecube controller. Would the new classic controller pro potentially improve my game? I use toon link primarily with some Ganon and Marth.

Thanks.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Buy either a classic controller, classic controller pro, or a gamecube controller and a copy of Super Smash Bros Melee.

I recommend the lattermost option.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
The Gamecube Controller is the best, hands down.

If you can't use that, the Wii-mote + Chuck is the next best, and has only slight disadvantages compared to the Gamecube Controller. However, it's recently been outlawed from MLG (they don't allow wireless controllers) so a lot of people are thinking about not using it. It's still the 2nd best option though.

Third choice is the Classic / Classic Pro.

The fourth choice is the Wii mote by itself, but that's not really even a choice as it is so limiting that you will never be able to amount to anything by using it.

Basically though, there is only one way that Smash should be played:

You can get one for $25 from Play-Asia.com: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-23-49-en-70-2ola.html

-LzR-

Smash Hero
MMM are you retarted or just stupid? Why the hell is Wiichuck better than classic, which is an almost exact clone of GC controller?

etecoon

Smash Hero
GCN > classic (pro) > wiichuk

wii remote is for all intents and purposes unuseable. wiichuk is pretty close to it but some people somehow manage to use it well.

ThePika

Smash Rookie
If I personally do not like the GC controller, should I go with the Classic Pro? (the L and R buttons aren't responsive enough and the Large A button seems funneh.

MetalMusicMan

MMM are you retarted or just stupid? Why the hell is Wiichuck better than classic, which is an almost exact clone of GC controller?
lmfao, better analog stick. I knew there was a reason I didn't bother to post in these ******** threads, how silly of me to forget.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
i bought a white japanese game cube controller just a few days ago.

looks like this, its brand new and feels like a dream on the fingers. Really if you play smash i honestly think you should go with a controller that makes you feel very comfortable and you can easily memorize button location through tough/feel memory.

Personally i dont like the button style of the pro because its just different from the GC which im very accustomed too. Especially since the GC controllers Y and X buttons are two different shapes in off set locations around the A button, and the B and A buttons are smaller/larger. The pros A,B,Y,X buttons are all the same SIZE and SHAPE. Which imho might confuse me if i started playing with it.

But i think most people would agree when i say that the over all grip, or the way you can so easily hold the GC controller makes for a very nice pleasant gaming experience.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Wiichuck has Dpad. Dpad is magical. You can string uairs to nair with ease with MK.

Just broke one of my cube controllers. xD

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Classic Pro looks sexy. Wireless controllers are illegal at MLG events though, so there's less incentive to pick one up.

dniMretsaM

Smash Apprentice
The Classic Pros look pretty nice. I've never used a GC controller or a Classic (regular or Pro). I'm actually using a PS2 controller and an adapter. The PS2 controller is closer to a Classic in button placement. So I'm more used to Classic style playing. I'll probably still get a GC controller though.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
lmfao, better analog stick. I knew there was a reason I didn't bother to post in these ******** threads, how silly of me to forget.
I knew there was a reason I didn't bother to post in these decent threads, how silly of me to forget. It's people like you. ^_^

Obvious troll is obvious.

Anyway, I'm planning on getting one of these with Monster Hunter. It seems like it would be good for smash, but I've only used it once.

Still, black CC pro + black wii remote is just too sexy.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I have black and white, I gotta say that after giving it all another try that, when configured right, I still prefer the wiichuk to the classic controller pro though. if it had one more easily accessable face button on the remote I might use that instead of the gamecube even

MetalMusicMan

Yes, clearly I am trolling. CLEARLY my only intention with my original post was to troll the masses of the internet, and had nothing to do with explaining the options to the OP.

Anyway, I thought pretty much everyone realized that the extreme looseness of the Classic controller's analog sticks made it difficult to perform precision movements, at least compared to the GC and Wiimote.

Either way, I never said that the Classic was bad, just that the Wii Mote is better because of the analog stick, which apparently is common knowledge everywhere but inside of this thread.

You see way more Wii Motes than you ever see Classic controllers in competitive play, for this reason among others.

You'd think I walked in on a Classic controller users fanclub meeting with the kind of reactions I'm getting, lmfao.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Yes, clearly I am trolling. CLEARLY my only intention with my original post was to troll the masses of the internet, and had nothing to do with explaining the options to the OP.

Anyway, I thought pretty much everyone realized that the extreme looseness of the Classic controller's analog sticks made it difficult to perform precision movements.

Either way, I never said that the Classic was bad, just that the Wii Mote is better because of the analog stick, which apparently is common knowledge everywhere but inside of this thread.

You see way more Wii Motes than you ever see Classic controllers in competitive play, for this reason among others.

You'd think I walked in on a Classic controller users fanclub meeting with the kind of reactions I'm getting, lmfao.

Your original post was ok, but your second one wasn't. Why didn't you explain your reasons like you just did instead of looking like an idiot?

Also, the pro's analog stick feels a lot better to me, but that's just my opinion.

MetalMusicMan

Maybe I didn't explain myself because the first response that I got was a totally unwarranted "WTF YOU ARE A STUPID ******" and I didn't feel it was necessary to explain myself to such a buffoon? lol

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Maybe I didn't explain myself because the first response that I got was a totally unwarranted "WTF YOU ARE A STUPID ******" and I didn't feel it was necessary to explain myself to such a buffoon? lol
Good point. However, you should have at least tried to explain yourself to everyone else. :ohwell:

Oh well, at least you eventually explained why you thought that, lol.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I spent more time messing with the controllers and I have to say that MMM was actually right, the classic controller pro still has a loose stick that can create some issues, much like the same reason you shouldn't use a third party controller although it's not as bad as any third party controller I've ever used.

regarding the wiichuk and GCN, the wiichuk has an insufficient number of buttons if you intend to use dpad for smashes, and the GCN controller has springs in its triggers which make them inaccurate unless you have the screwdriver for it and remove them. so all of them have their drawbacks but GCN is of course best

Limeee

Smash Champion
so how do the CC pro work?

do you plug it into the wiimote (would be stupid) or do you plug it in like a gamecube controller?

etecoon

Smash Hero
it's the classic controller in a new case pretty much, so like that it plugs into the wii remote

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
How different is the analog stick? Because when I play ICs with the old Classic Controller, there doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

etecoon

Smash Hero
I don't know compared to the original classic, don't have it anymore, I just know that it is noticeably looser than the chuk or the GCN controller

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Hopefully you guys have actually had a lot of experience using the CCP (which isn't not the case imo). :urg:

New to Smash, then play SSB64 first w/ the CCP then play Brawl w/ it. tbh the GC is not mandatory unless you are in it to win it. :sonic:

Necrotic

Death By Necrosis
I really like the Classic Pro for casual play. Its good for friendly games or for sandbagging and only for that. Its harder to execute a DACUS and even harder to execute a BDACUS. Gamecube is the best controller for learning techniques and training. Pros control sticks are sensitive. The c-sticks spacing is in a bad spot if you have a big thumb. Not much space between c-stick and B thus resulting in accidental inputs. I dont have any problems with it because I dont use this in my tournys. I will let Darkrain use it and il get his input on this controller aswell.
If I were to train a newb I would use this controller.

-=DACUS=-
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/DACUS

-=Sandbag definition=-
Sandbagging is the act of playing poorly on purpose. Most of the time, players sandbag in friendly matches to keep others from learning their style, or to be allowed into easier divisions for tournaments. Other times, in professional matches, when a small amount of money is on the line, players sandbag in hopes of winning more money at a later time.

Source:http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Sandbagging

-=Darkrain=-
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Darkrain

DZhou

Smash Journeyman
I don't know compared to the original classic, don't have it anymore, I just know that it is noticeably looser than the chuk or the GCN controller
Looser as in it doesn't go back to the neutral position as fast?

Necrotic

Death By Necrosis
Looser as in it doesn't go back to the neutral position as fast?
I believe he ment it requires less force to move the stick and generate a desired input. Correct me if I am wrong. In my below post thats what I ment by "looser"

Insetick

Smash Apprentice
Since the CCPro was just released, you should give this question a few more days. Push others that own the CCPro to use it for Brawl so that they can speak from actual experience.

MetalMusicMan

Yes, looser as in it has very little resistance at all when moving the stick. It's like a PS3 controller's anolog stick, except even looser than that, but with more spring-back when you release it. It's the worst of both worlds. Unless you, for some crazy reason, like a loose and springy stick that is prone to imprecision... lol.

I would be surprised if the Classic Pro didn't have the exact same analog sticks as the Classic. Obviously we won't know for sure until someone tries it, but I really doubt it will be any different.

ThePika

Smash Rookie
Thanks for all the input. Here are my main reasons for potentially purchasing the CCPro.

• I can pull of (all?) of the trick and techs on these forums that I can't normally with the WiiMote
• It is more comfortable(?) than the WiiMote
• I hate the GCC with a firey passion.

So... Is it worth it? And can I pull off every tech on these forums with it?

Cause you know, it really gets bothersome when they tell you to jump and down jab or whatever at the same time or use a down special and jump at the same time. Cause you can't on the wiimote.

On an unrelated note, can you play Mario Kart with the Classic Pro?

I love all the feedback you guys are awesome!! Please don't hate.

Necrotic

Death By Necrosis
Thanks for all the input. Here are my main reasons for potentially purchasing the CCPro.

• I can pull of (all?) of the trick and techs on these forums that I can't normally with the WiiMote

Cause you know, it really gets bothersome when they tell you to jump and down jab or whatever at the same time or use a down special and jump at the same time. Cause you can't on the wiimote.

Yes I would get it. It has amazing grip. Try it out i'm sure you would like it. I personally like it better than the gamecube. I answer YESZ to all your questions!

Deboog

Smash Cadet
You have to remember that the Classic Controller has one more button than the Gamecube Controller. That already makes it better in theory if your allowed to set your own controls.

You can play any SNES game with it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
You have to remember that the Classic Controller has one more button than the Gamecube Controller. That already makes it better in theory if your allowed to set your own controls.
This is truth

Lobos

Smash Master
Ive been playing with the CC Pro since january (after pound 4). One of the best controllers I've used......just wish it was wired.

swordgard

Smash Hero

You have an extra trigger, which alone makes it worth switching since you can have both L on attack for doop walking or harder dacus' and L2 on jump for Up-B/Up-Smash out of shield.

Zeroxius

Smash Lord
First of all, Gamecube controller > All.

And the Wii classic pro is stupid IMHO, because it's just a friggen classic controller with HANDLES.

And because the ABXY buttons are all in the same place, the same distant apart, it would render the extra button useless, because I'd rather have easy access to my ABXY buttons by touch, and not have a stupid button in a stupid place. Therefore, gamecube rules. I believe you also have to go a further distance to get to the Z buttons on the classic anyway.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
So much hate. I was actually thinking of buying a CC Pro. I don't see Nintendo officially supporting GC controllers for their next console (which isn't coming for a while anyways but meh), so I'm mostly just curious at this point.

You can set one of the joysticks to "Smash" correct? So it's just like the GC C-stick?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
wii classic pro looks legit.
i play n64 smash on a ps1/2 controller on my pc, so that would be (almost) perfect for me.
Edit: them extra triggers help to emulate the GC controller.

but I do has a GC controller.

@Sasha, yeah, you should be able to set the right stick to Smash, just like u can with the classic classic controller. (c wut i d thar?)

Edit dos: my surfing of the web lead me to this:
Incidentlally, the GameCube controller is still better when using the analog sticks for one reason: resolution. All of the GameCube's analog inputs (joysticks, shoulder buttons) have 8-bit resolution. On the Classic Controller (and Classic Controller Pro), the shoulder buttons and secondary joystick are limited to 5-bit resolution, and the primary joystick is limited to 6-bit. The difference is very noticeable in any game that utilizes the analog joysticks and/or shoulder buttons.
wtf does that even mean?

Top Bottom