• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why shouldn't MK be banned?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hlaf of hte Brawl Community would be shut down because they all lost their Main.
I seriously Cant think of switching off to my secondaries Marth and Falco over this.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If MK is banned, Yuna will call you all scrubs! Oh noes!

J/k

I don't main MK but the main reason is, that we still need more time to see, if there really is no way to reliably defeat MK

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm split on this issue. I DO think he is far and away better than anyone else in the cast and he's the best choice if all you're interested in is winning. I'd also be interested in seeing how the game would develop without such a clear and obvious best.

On the other hand, he IS beatable, unlike Akuma or any other historically banned characters. I also don't want to start down the path of banning the best character, because that leads to having nothing but Captain Falcon.

Really, I think we should let the game develop for another 6 months or a year then talk about it again. It wasn't even that long ago that everyone thought Snake was the best in the game, with Meta taking second. If that can change, who's to say it won't change again?

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Because while he is the best character and has advantages over everyone pretty much, and even though his existence drastically changes the tier list, he isn't unbeatable.

ADHD

Smash Hero
He deserves to be banned, not yet though. We need more diddy players to weed them out

Mmac

Smash Lord
The only reason people want him banned is because people think that he has no counters whatsoever, and destroys the variety because he has no counterpicks.

I feel that isn't the case at all. It's mostly because of people's laziness that proclaim that MetaKnight is the best counter for MetaKnight. This is not true at all, and just makes things worse. It's not because he has a better ratio, but rather it's basically determine on skill, and if your MetaKnight is better than the MetaKnight you are fighting, which most of the time is a no.

MetaKnight does have counters, and some character can actually counter him if you put in some effort. Infact, he even has a counterpick setup during his opponents counterpick. All you need to do is train a decent Yoshi, learn how to Pivot Grab, and use one of the many heavy counter stages he has. It will make the fight a hell of alot easier, even if your Yoshi is decent, then you can just revert back to your main or whoever you were using.

Everywhere I look now, there seems to be more people finding ways to deal with him. Jigglypuff, Olimar, Lucario's, and a few more characters are figuring out MetaKnight and how to deal with him. Fox mains now think that they have an even matchup against MetaKnight. Yoshi Mains are Figuring out new Tech's to make this fight slightly more easier. MetaKnight has weaknesses, yet people are just simply too lazy to figure out what they are.

MetaKnight is great, but he isn't god. He bleeds like everyone else.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
he has no kill moves lol.
fsmash. with his ability to build up damage really quickly, move fast and can kill most medium weights with his fsmash he is clearly not as balanced as the other characters in the game. at least Ike is slow as **** to displace his power.

Mmac

Smash Lord
fsmash. with his ability to build up damage really quickly, move fast and can kill most medium weights with his fsmash he is clearly not as balanced as the other characters in the game. at least Ike is slow as **** to displace his power.
Except Fsmash is slow as hell, but thats not what we mean by "He has some Kill moves"

Granted that Dsmash, Shuttle Loop, and Nair aren't super awesome Kill Moves, they are still rediciously low compared to how fast he can gather damage. He is exactly like Melee Sheik in the sense.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
The only reason people want him banned is because people think that he has no counters whatsoever, and destroys the variety because he has no counterpicks.

I feel that isn't the case at all. It's mostly because of people's laziness that proclaim that MetaKnight is the best counter for MetaKnight. This is not true at all, and just makes things worse. It's not because he has a better ratio, but rather it's basically determine on skill, and if your MetaKnight is better than the MetaKnight you are fighting, which most of the time is a no.

MetaKnight does have counters, and some character can actually counter him if you put in some effort. Infact, he even has a counterpick setup during his opponents counterpick. All you need to do is train a decent Yoshi, learn how to Pivot Grab, and use one of the many heavy counter stages he has. It will make the fight a hell of alot easier, even if your Yoshi is decent, then you can just revert back to your main or whoever you were using.

Everywhere I look now, there seems to be more people finding ways to deal with him. Jigglypuff, Olimar, Lucario's, and a few more characters are figuring out MetaKnight and how to deal with him. Fox mains now think that they have an even matchup against MetaKnight. Yoshi Mains are Figuring out new Tech's to make this fight slightly more easier. MetaKnight has weaknesses, yet people are just simply too lazy to figure out what they are.

MetaKnight is great, but he isn't god. He bleeds like everyone else.
Jigglypuffs and Olimars are not figuring him out, I dare you to find a high-level discussion that says otherwise. And even Azen had to use MK to handle one of the MKs at HOBO.

If you don't want MK banned, find good, informed arguements and examples of the vurnerabilities of the HIGHEST level of MK.

Not at Mmac: People here still think MK has no kill moves? Is that a joke?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Because Metaknight doesn't know how to dodge a pie...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0twowDded0

he can't be THAT top tier...

Ok that aside, he lacks very good KO moves, f-smash is pretty laggy. Also he's pretty light and lacks a projectile. I think these three things balance him out.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master

Mmac

Smash Lord
Jigglypuffs and Olimars are not figuring him out, I dare you to find a high-level discussion that says otherwise. And even Azen had to use MK to handle one of the MKs at HOBO.
They have their own dedicated threads on how to deal with high level MetaKnights, so thats why I mention them. I posted this before I saw the HOBO Results, and I am rather disappointed that Azen did that, especially since that I think Lucario is one of the better characters to deal with MetaKnight.

Master Raven

Smash Master
"Azen's lucario just sucked the 1st game (and I squandered at the very end), so i told him not to go back to him, and he didn't know who else to use. Despite this, both sets were 3-2, even though it was me and Azen."

That's what M2K said regarding his set vs Azen at HOBO. Not defending his words or anything but just posting it here to see what people thought of Azen's decision to MK ditto.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
My biggest complaint about Metaknight is that if you're not in the top five (to ten depending on size of tourney) the only tournament viable character is Metaknight. He's beatable, but only the best of the best have the luxury of not playing Metaknight.

But as I say, probably not a reason to ban him by current standards.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I agree, we should just blame M2K for all of this. /holds chin and nods

Cook

Smash Master
Even if he didn't have kill moves (which he does), he has a ridiculous gimping game, which would make up for it.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Azen does better with Lucario than MK vs me, Forte, InfernoOmni, and Plank. That is the 3 best MK mains in MD/VA as well as myself. Lee is the only exception that breaks this rule, but it's still 4-1.
M2K asked me to go MK!

What do you think? Your the highest level players, and you both used MK in that HOBO tournament. What's your take on MK?

ShaolinAce

Smash Ace
Everyone who thinks MK should be banned should really stop playing or get better. I've heard thi swining for the last 5 months and I'm tired of it. Go listen to SMYN ep 39 and then keep complaining. He's not getting banned. Atleast not anytime soon. So stfu already.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
What do you think is behind Metaknight's mask?

It's obviously Michael Phelps.
Yeah that kinda blew my mind too.

But I wouldn't be so harsh towards people who want Metaknight banned. While banning Metaknight may not be just, his removal would probably stimulate the general evolution of the other characters. In particular those who are actually, naturally countered by Metaknight. lol

Not saying that's a good enough reason he should be banned, but I'm just saying it's a legitimate viewpoint and doesn't deserve irrationally angry responses. Well unless they're saying "Metaknight can't be beaten" or, "Metaknights gay!". In which case feel free to tear them a new one. =P

Irow

Smash Ace
I'm a Metaknight main.

And I really, really want to run a touney without Meta being a legal character. Just to see the placings and whatnot.

Too bad I'd lose all my credibility if I did.

And of course I blew your mind. There's a reason behind everything, even Metaknight's brokeness.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
banning metaknight now would give other top/high tier mains (snake,rob,falco,lucario,wario) to much of an advantage.... and at the same time wouldnt be fair to metaknight mains that would have to learn a new character... the metagame hasnt devoloped enough to decide yet... there were times when shiek was almost at this point in melee and the metagame hadnt fully devolped yet. Metaknight is beatable therefore not broken therefore not banworthy....

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
I wish people would stop comparing the evolution of Melee's metagame to the evolution of Brawls.

The communities were entirely different places back then. The amount of time it took to discover something in Melee was much different then it would be to discover something in Brawl.

The Infinite-DC seems to be the last big discovery in a long time. The metagame isn't going to advance forever. I mean, look at Dojo's meatknight. What can you possibly add to that?

Top Bottom