• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why MK should NOT be banned (the opinion from someone who actually fights them)

Status
Not open for further replies.

salaboB

Smash Champion
However, the pro-ban's argument has been the same for one and a half years. Just change a few national tournament names and you have the same argument. It's been said that MK would deteriorate the metagame in October of 2008 and look where we are now; the metagame is seemingly no different. There's still a lot of MKs just as there was before, but there's no evidence of it getting worse.
I don't recall the big tournaments having 6 of the top 7 being MK back then...

Also, your statement certainly does nothing against pro-ban: An anti-ban point was that given time we'd find ways to beat MK and he'd stop being so central in the metagame. But he's just as much as before, nobody's found any reliably way to not have to fixate on how to beat him if you want a chance.

A stagnant game that remains focused on one character is going to be pretty much as damaging as if it got more centralized to that character. The only way it will be healthy is if the centralization actually reduces.

Allied

Smash Master
jack wyatt is a pretty cool guy and doesnt afraid of everything hes my boy :D

wyatt come back to 100% juice i miss you!

@Zigma yay just keep trying because hes not hard yo >.>

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
ight brah enjoy national tournament grand final puff dittos :D (inb4 haters i <3 melee just saying puff dittos are gey)
Or I can play brawl and enjoy national tournament grand final MK dittos 97% of the time.

Same difference.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Oh joy, I mind as well pop some popcorn and enjoy the show, or enjoy how many people post their options. You mind as well call this thread banned Meta Knight thread 5, because it's currently looking like it at the moment. Sad to see that Meta Knight is still making people sad... or mad.

RDK

Smash Hero
I think it's funny that the anti-ban argument always (generally) boils down to "no one else bans stuff, so why should we" and/or "if we ban Meta, no one will respect us!"

...which is hilarious, since all we ever do is ban stuff. Most of the reason the other communities don't respect us is because we banned items prematurely and because we have such a large stage ban list. I find it telling that the anti-ban's best argument is "we want their respect" when the whole reason we don't have it is because of their own policies.
I'd like to see one quote from any respected member of the Smash community admitting that we refuse to ban things to gain credibility from worthless communities like SRK.

Usually I like you Jack, but it seems like you just don't know what you're talking about this time.

Either way, you're right, both sides just want what's best... but, as they say, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". The pro-ban argument really can stand on its own, while the anti-ban argument is not only self-defeating, but usually always relies on the efforts of one person at a time (Ally, now ADHD). Just screw what other communities do and do what is best for US; it's not like we don't already do that. And stop cherry-picking when to use other's policies (Meta) and when not to (items, stages).
So let me get this straight before I make you look like a complete fool.

Are you or are you not equating banning Metaknight with banning items and stages?

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
It does happen, sure. But that happens in a LOT of games that are still popular.

I'll give an example.

In WoW since it's constantly updated some classes become overpowered or too weak at times, it shifts constantly. For the first 8 months or so of Wrath of the Lich King like 50% of all representation was held by Unholy DKs, and Holy Paladins (who would usually team with each other in 2v2 teams; because it was overpowered as hell at the time).

You'd get lots of people complaining constantly about it and threatening to quit (and I'm sure some did).

Look how well that game is doing still.

By virtue of the fact that it is constantly updated, the broken classes and such would eventually be tweaked and nerfed to a more balanced form. This may, in fact lead to another class becoming broken, but that in turn will be fixed. Operative phrase: "Constantly Updated". vBrawl has no such luxury. Closest thing would be Brawl+

salaboB

Smash Champion
Are you or are you not equating banning Metaknight with banning items and stages?
FWIW I've made that comparison before, and never received a satisfactory answer for why they should be considered so different.

RDK

Smash Hero
Akuma's in SF2 didnt win ALL team battles.
They also didnt win all the tournaments, just MOST of them.

An extreme example to point out the fallacy.

The exception only PROVES the rule, it doesnt refute it.

All it says is that Wyatt was the best player there, it doesnt change the fact that metaknight was the best character and statisticallypeaking, should have won.

Even more so when Metaknight still wins MOST of the tournaments.
You should know better than to say such things RDK.
You're not even making sense. Statistically speaking, MK should have won?

So I guess every time you pick a character who has a disadvantageous matchup with your opponent's character, you are statistically more likely to lose?

Do you even know what statistics are?

Pro-ban has been a joke since the first ban thread, and it always will be a joke. Unless you must pick MK in order to not lose, there isn't going to be a ban.

RDK

Smash Hero
FWIW I've made that comparison before, and never received a satisfactory answer for why they should be considered so different.
What counts as satisfactory? Because if I remember correctly you're the guy who doesn't like anybody else's definitions of things no matter who it is giving the definition.

If you're actually interested I'll tell you why they're different.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Diddy kong won the last nation grand final

and ally won apex
Me - 1 You - 0

hahahhahhaa :D
And Pound is the only melee national (maybe even major regional) that I can think of off the top of my head (operative phrase: off the top of my head) where it has been puff dittos in grand finals.

:D

Allied

Smash Master
And Pound is the only melee national (maybe even major regional) that I can think of off the top of my head (operative phrase: off the top of my head) where it has been puff dittos in grand finals.

WINTERFE-....wait mango went fox....

Too'shay

(is that how you spell it?)

salaboB

Smash Champion
What counts as satisfactory? Because if I remember correctly you're the guy who doesn't like anybody else's definitions of things no matter who it is giving the definition.

If you're actually interested I'll tell you why they're different.
If you're actually interested, I'll tell you why they're the same - or should be (And why that could settle the whole MK problem right there...)

Imagine, character striking just like stage striking...

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
One anti-ban argument, yes.

However, the pro-ban's argument has been the same for one and a half years. Just change a few national tournament names and you have the same argument. It's been said that MK would deteriorate the metagame in October of 2008 and look where we are now; the metagame is seemingly no different. There's still a lot of MKs just as there was before, but there's no evidence of it getting worse.

If you want to seriously change minds, bring something new to the table. Someone actually analyze medium or large sized tournament trends (not just nationals) and try to prove that MK has been creeping into the top spots over time. Do something. But if you keep rehashing the same argument, nothing's going to change.

At the very least, ADHD's bringing a new perspective, something that I haven't seen from the pro-ban's side in a while.
I'm assuming that the Ankoku's tournament thread is still the latest, greatest place to go for tournament data? If so, I'll take a look at it.

Either way, ADHD didn't bring anything new to the table, other than his main. His argument is still "Learn2Play", which, along with being a horrible argument, is nowhere near new.

Jack you're wrong. I am not uncaring of the lower-level play of brawl, and wanting mk to stay there is irrelevant to that anyway. I hate that you'd accuse me of this.
I could make another long post about this, but I don't have to; your posting history speaks for itself. Anyone, not just you, that honestly uses the "just play better" argument knows neither how low-level play works, nor understands how to foster a healthy community, one that will continue to support the higher levels of play for years to come. I'm not going to bash my head against a wall here; I'll admit that I don't know you personally and have never met you, but if you're really the kind of guy that can sit back from a national top spot and honestly tell 90% of the Smash community "Look at what I did, it's sooo easy! Just stop whining and do it, too!", I don't really want to. That kind of thinking is seriously damaging to the community, to any community.

Let's see the president turn to kids and say, "Look how easy it was for me to become president! Stop whining about how you don't have food right now and just raise 300 million dollars so you can be elected, too!" and find out what happens.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
<3's, ShadowLink, <3's.

We aren't seeing nearly enough debate hall posters in this thread, btw.
Hi jack <3

No we do not, mainly because they get tired of the silliness from the other threads.

RDK said:
Yes because overall, he is the BEST character.
THe reason Wyatt won was due to being the best PLAYER.

If you are skilled enough you can overcome the odds against you. Wyatt did that, no doubt about it.

RDK said:
So I guess every time you pick a character who has a disadvantageous matchup with your opponent's character, you are statistically more likely to lose?
Yes.
If I pick Ganondorf, I am that much more likely to lose.
If I pick metaknight, I am that much more likely to win based upon my character's traits.

RDK said:
You want to run the numbers through a machine?

Let alone you are ignoring what I pointed out.
You agreed with Gheb when he mentioned DIddy winning Pound4.

What does that prove?
NOTHING!

It is just like 100 students ina class getting an average of 23 on their tests, and having 1 student getting 100%.
Does this mean that the test was perfectly fair??
No.

You are trying to justify MK's existence based upon this ONE example.

Akuma didn't win every single tournament.
WHy?
No one plays perfectly, ever.
So of course that chance to win will be there. It doesnt change the fact, however, that Metaknight has been winning MOST tournaments.
RDK said:
Pro-ban has been a joke since the first ban thread, and it always will be a joke. Unless you must pick MK in order to not lose, there isn't going to be a ban.
MOST of pro-ban is a joke.
MOST of anti-ban is a joke.

Both sides have people who dot he following.
MK is broken ban!
You guys are scrubs get better!

Wasn't Akuma banned in SF HD Remix even though he was nowhere near as broken as he was in SF2T?

Allied

Smash Master
Then, what character is "hard" ? >.>
my bad hes not that hard, however i can see with the sudden increase of timing out being a problem hopfully theres a new ruleset for that soon it makes kirby unviable and i like using him in tournament

thank god NJ metaknights are aggressive XD

KribO

Smash Rookie
when brawl first came out, i was excited for meta knight. ironicaly enough, after playing him for maybe 4 rounds, i gave him up. he just wasn't my kind of character.

why do i think this matters? because the best part about SSB (for me) is the difference in character flow. plus, the meta-game is different for everyone, as well. it gives each character a different place among people.

the MK population may be rising, but i think a good number of people play MK because its their favorite character, not for easy rides in tourneys. and for those who do ride the top-tier train, usualy you can tell who they are. they don't seem to take the time to learn the character, just learn the best way to camp/win (and this goes for all characters, not just MK). banning MK just because he has a good meta game right now isn't really 'fair' for the people who spent the time to PROVE MK was worth it. just my oppinion.

Allied

Smash Master
Wasn't Akuma banned in SF HD Remix even though he was nowhere near as broken as he was in SF2T?[/QUOTE

uhmm i dont rememember well actually *gets a wiki source*

In Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Akuma is banned in U.S. tournaments. This is because, as David Sirlin writes, "Most characters in that game cannot beat Akuma. I don’t mean it’s a tough match—I mean they cannot ever, ever, ever, ever win. Akuma is 'broken' in that his air fireball move is something the game simply wasn’t designed to handle. He is not merely the best character in the game, but is at least ten times better than other characters. This case is so extreme that all top players in America immediately realized that all tournaments would be Akuma vs. Akuma only, and so the character was banned with basically no debate and has been ever since." In Japan, Akuma is not officially banned, but there is what is called a soft ban. In other words, all top players in Japan agree not to play Akuma without there being any official enforcement of this agreement. However, on the remake Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, Akuma is toned down to ensure he's more "balanced"; his "flaws" like the very low defense clause reappear in this game and he has a much weaker Shun Goku Satsu as the only Super Move available (it's worth noting that he didn't have a super move in his original appearance Super Street Fighter II Turbo, but he was so powerful that that wasn't considered a weakness). His air fireball forces him to bounce back. Some top players claim that he is still broken, claiming that Akuma has far too many devastating setups, especially with setting up the Shun Goku Satsu. It is still currently in debate whether or not Akuma is still broken or balanced. However, the 2009 EVO championships have Akuma banned in HD Remix while he is not banned in Street Fighter III or IV.

Heres a good read about akuma

Allied

Smash Master
when brawl first came out, i was excited for meta knight. ironicaly enough, after playing him for maybe 4 rounds, i gave him up. he just wasn't my kind of character.

why do i think this matters? because the best part about SSB (for me) is the difference in character flow. plus, the meta-game is different for everyone, as well. it gives each character a different place among people.

the MK population may be rising, but i think a good number of people play MK because its their favorite character, not for easy rides in tourneys. and for those who do ride the top-tier train, usualy you can tell who they are. they don't seem to take the time to learn the character, just learn the best way to camp/win (and this goes for all characters, not just MK). banning MK just because he has a good meta game right now isn't really 'fair' for the people who spent the time to PROVE MK was worth it. just my oppinion.
its fine krib0 your opinion is valued here!

edit: Dat Double Post

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I'd like to see one quote from any respected member of the Smash community admitting that we refuse to ban things to gain credibility from worthless communities like SRK.

Usually I like you Jack, but it seems like you just don't know what you're talking about this time.
I'll give you one concession here: "respect" in the strictest sense of the word, probably isn't what most people are clamoring for (although I'd like to know why SRK is that bad... because they wanted to have some items on? Sure, they should have been more respectful, but it's not like we were saints, either). Still, though, why latch onto their policies so much? Even you would be hard pressed to say that a big reason people argue that we can't ban MK is because that's "just not what a competitive community does", but who decided that? I certainly didn't. No one, including you, IIRC, has ever explained why we have to wait until the absolute breaking point to ban something (something we don't even do consistently, btw), instead of being big boys and girls and deciding when to ban something ourselves.

So let me get this straight before I make you look like a complete fool.

I'm saying that people are saying a strict adherence to established fighting game dogma (only ban when things are ABSOLUTELY necessary) is cited as a reason not to ban Meta, but within about a week-month of Brawl even being released, items were banned and people were already deciding not to play on certain stages, a bias that migrated to the SBR's decision making process. If we can't ban Meta, then we should reinstate all items and stages until tournaments prove they are broken (which never happened). One or the other; you can't say that we have to strictly wait until Meta kills the game and forces everyone away before we can ban him, but then say that we can ban items or stages just by wanting to.

salaboB

Smash Champion
If we can't ban Meta, then we should reinstate all items and stages until tournaments prove they are broken (which never happened). One or the other; you can't say that we have to strictly wait until Meta kills the game and forces everyone away before we can ban him, but then say that we can ban items or stages just by wanting to.
I believe that these bans were largely grandfathered in from Melee, as both stages and items were banned there and much of the community simply moved to this new game.

That doesn't mean it's justified to not have done any serious tournament testing on it before banning (And I believe many stages could be allowed, but people don't like them because then they're "fighting the stage" -- that can be learned just like any character matchup takes learning, not proper justification for banning.) but I think that's where it comes from.

Allied

Smash Master
adherence

grandfathered

you guys use some mad wierd vocab haha :3

but yeah jack alot of people got the ruleset straight from melee because simply they thought brawl was going to be like melee but better but it AINT

Luxor

Smash Champion
The way I see it, there are three major factors that go into banning MK. I'm going to address them here.

First is diversity. It goes by other names, such as balance, viability and "How can we make this game more fun?" People who want to ban MK for diversity's sake take the stance that MK overcentralizes the metagame, and that more characters should be viable than currently are; that Brawl is slowly devolving into little more than MK dittos, a feeling more and more people are expressing. There are two ways to determine whether this is a valid reason for banning MK: seeing the results of a mature MK-less metagame and theorymon. The first is out of the question, if done full-scale, and I'm too lazy to look up results of MK-banned tourneys to see how balanced they are. I'll make the theorymon argument instead. It's generally agreed that with MK gone, Snake, Diddy, Marth, and DDD would proliferate and dominate the metagame. Marth and DDD are particularly ruinous matchups for most low and mid tiers- they become no more viable. As I and other anti-banners see it, banning MK would simply centralize the metagame around different threats. Ban 0, Anti-ban 1.

Second is "brokenness." This one is up for grabs, and is the most subjective and "touchy" of the subjects. There's been tons of discussion on this. Basically, MK is the best, arguably broken. He abuses game mechanics like no other. I don't really want to beat a dead horse here, so I'll just leave this subject. 0.5 : 1.5 Anti-ban's favor.

Finally is precedent. Historically no character has ever been banned from a Smash Bros. game. The counterargument is simple- "but hey luxor no character's evur been azz MAD BROKEN as meta night with sluttle loop and whorenado LOLOLOLOOOL!!!!" I say look to precedent. My knowledge of Melee isn't that good, but Fox and Marth dominated that game. Sure, they had pretty even matchups with Falco/Sheik/Jiggs, but the fact remains that they went even or better with the entire cast. The same can be said of MK. Fox had his shine, MK has his tornado. Melee Marth and MK can both abuse their great aerial games and range. Did we ban Marth and Fox? No, and so precedent is in MK's favor. Also, banning MK could create a potentially disastrous precedent in the form of the "slippery slope," a very real threat the competitive Pokemon community fears (although they have largely evaded it). The "slippery slope" theory holds that banning one character leads to another becoming grossly overpowered and in need of a ban, and so on. I don't think I need to elaborate on why that would be bad. Also, we don't want to set the precedent of banning everything we don't like- we could mess up the SSB4 metagame too. 0.5 : 2.5 Anti-ban's favor.

That's how I see the matter. Like to hear your opinions.

/flameshield

tl;dr edit:
1. banning MK will centralize around Marth/Snake DDD?
2. i don't care how broken MK is, he's not THAT broken
3. mk vs. melee fox/marth- lol
4. banning mk is for noobs listen to adhd you

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
MK is not nearly as broken as Kabal in Mortal Kombat Trilogy, lmao.
Kabal's Spin Dash >>>>>>>> MK's 'Nado

salaboB

Smash Champion
I'm simply curious to know which other threats the community would centralize on instead (Notably, to the extent that it's fixated on MK).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Akuma is broken in HD remix too, his unblockable setups are simply too good.

SF4... if anyone's broken it's my main (sagat).

I really think I this, "ban for the average Joe" needs to be addressed.

Two major issues come of that, firstly, what is the average Joe? The fundamental problem that comes when defining for the average level of play is, there simply is no basis for saying what the average level of play IS. So all that we're left with is arbitrarily deciding "this is the average level of play". So, we talking about the people who lose to din's fire spam consistently? The IC player that only know how to chaingrab and spam grab? The players that the former actually get a grab off. What is the "average joe"?

Second issue is the continuously advancing skill of the average player. Compare the average skill of a competitive player in the early Ken vs. Isai days vs. now. Even marth players like me are silent wolf equivalents compared to what it was back then. If we banned based on what's a problem for the average Joe now, how do we know that as a community we won't advance past it in a year or so?

That's why banning for any particular level of players is a bad idea, because those levels are hard to define and constantly shifting. Instead, we the top of the metagame is a much more useful basis since it uses concrete technical criteria. Not everyone can be the best in the game, but with enough practice everyone can learn how to say, cape teleport. Or waveshine. It's the technical stuff that defines what the MU actually is, and if it's managable with enough tech skill then lrn2play is a legitimate thing to say.

If it's a 90-10 MU at the top of the metagame... well that's a different story.

But either way, it's not talking about pros or average Joes, cause let's face it, most pros aren't at the top of the metagame (I see pro ICs drop chaingrabs all the time), it's talking about what the MU is if both players have their tech skill down.

I'll give you one concession here: "respect" in the strictest sense of the word, probably isn't what most people are clamoring for (although I'd like to know why SRK is that bad... because they wanted to have some items on? Sure, they should have been more respectful, but it's not like we were saints, either). Still, though, why latch onto their policies so much? Even you would be hard pressed to say that a big reason people argue that we can't ban MK is because that's "just not what a competitive community does", but who decided that? I certainly didn't. No one, including you, IIRC, has ever explained why we have to wait until the absolute breaking point to ban something (something we don't even do consistently, btw), instead of being big boys and girls and deciding when to ban something ourselves.

I'm saying that people are saying a strict adherence to established fighting game dogma (only ban when things are ABSOLUTELY necessary) is cited as a reason not to ban Meta, but within about a week-month of Brawl even being released, items were banned and people were already deciding not to play on certain stages, a bias that migrated to the SBR's decision making process. If we can't ban Meta, then we should reinstate all items and stages until tournaments prove they are broken (which never happened). One or the other; you can't say that we have to strictly wait until Meta kills the game and forces everyone away before we can ban him, but then say that we can ban items or stages just by wanting to.
Items are a matter of tournament settings, aka standardization for the simple fact that turning them on is as much banning itemless play as turning them off bans items play, you've gotta pick one at some point.

The neutral stages are the same, though I'd with the idea that a lot of counterpicks got banned prematurely. The thing is a number of them justifiably overcentralized, and for quite a few it was based on factors that we had previously observed and were unchanged (ex. circle camping).

Allied

Smash Master
The way I see it, there are three major factors that go into banning MK. I'm going to address them here.

First is diversity. It goes by other names, such as balance, viability and "How can we make this game more fun?" People who want to ban MK for diversity's sake take the stance that MK overcentralizes the metagame, and that more characters should be viable than currently are; that Brawl is slowly devolving into little more than MK dittos, a feeling more and more people are expressing. There are two ways to determine whether this is a valid reason for banning MK: seeing the results of a mature MK-less metagame and theorymon. The first is out of the question, if done full-scale, and I'm too lazy to look up results of MK-banned tourneys to see how balanced they are. I'll make the theorymon argument instead. It's generally agreed that with MK gone, Snake, Diddy, Marth, and DDD would proliferate and dominate the metagame. Marth and DDD are particularly ruinous matchups for most low and mid tiers- they become no more viable. As I and other anti-banners see it, banning MK would simply centralize the metagame around different threats. Ban 0, Anti-ban 1.

Second is "brokenness." This one is up for grabs, and is the most subjective and "touchy" of the subjects. There's been tons of discussion on this. Basically, MK is the best, arguably broken. He abuses game mechanics like no other. I don't really want to beat a dead horse here, so I'll just leave this subject. 0.5 : 1.5 Anti-ban's favor.

Finally is precedent. Historically no character has ever been banned from a Smash Bros. game. The counterargument is simple- "but hey luxor no character's evur been azz MAD BROKEN as meta night with sluttle loop and whorenado LOLOLOLOOOL!!!!" I say look to precedent. My knowledge of Melee isn't that good, but Fox and Marth dominated that game. Sure, they had pretty even matchups with Falco/Sheik/Jiggs, but the fact remains that they went even or better with the entire cast. The same can be said of MK. Fox had his shine, MK has his tornado. Melee Marth and MK can both abuse their great aerial games and range. Did we ban Marth and Fox? No, and so precedent is in MK's favor. Also, banning MK could create a potentially disastrous precedent in the form of the "slippery slope," a very real threat the competitive Pokemon community fears (although they have largely evaded it). The "slippery slope" theory holds that banning one character leads to another becoming grossly overpowered and in need of a ban, and so on. I don't think I need to elaborate on why that would be bad. Also, we don't want to set the precedent of banning everything we don't like- we could mess up the SSB4 metagame too. 0.5 : 2.5 Anti-ban's favor.

/flameshield
TL;DR

sorry mad tired XD can you summarize it for me :D?

WORD UP HAHAHAHAH

Allied there were two SF2 games in which akuma was banned.

SF2T (as you referenced)

SF2HDR
Yeah towards the end they mentioned something like SF2HDR was never deemed broken but banned anyway even at evo idk tl:dr XD haha

I'm simply curious to know which other threats the community would centralize on instead (Notably, to the extent that it's fixated on MK).
Its usually the same (came from different fighting communities) but also other fighting games try to stride for more balance imo unlike smash but i also like to think smash is a pretty balanced game compared to some games

like tekken6 they got like 18 tier lists for their characters

F*ck that
looks mad fun tho but i'm getting prepared to main Ibuki and Cody in SSFiV :DD along with hopfully a buffed cammy

Allied

Smash Master
Akuma is broken in HD remix too, his unblockable setups are simply too good.

SF4... if anyone's broken it's my main (sagat).

I really think I this, "ban for the average Joe" needs to be addressed.

Two major issues come of that, firstly, what is the average Joe? The fundamental problem that comes when defining for the average level of play is, there simply is no basis for saying what the average level of play IS. So all that we're left with is arbitrarily deciding "this is the average level of play". So, we talking about the people who lose to din's fire spam consistently? The IC player that only know how to chaingrab and spam grab? The players that the former actually get a grab off. What is the "average joe"?

Second issue is the continuously advancing skill of the average player. Compare the average skill of a competitive player in the early Ken vs. Isai days vs. now. Even marth players like me are silent wolf equivalents compared to what it was back then. If we banned based on what's a problem for the average Joe now, how do we know that as a community we won't advance past it in a year or so?

That's why banning for any particular level of players is a bad idea, because those levels are hard to define and constantly shifting. Instead, we the top of the metagame is a much more useful basis since it uses concrete technical criteria. Not everyone can be the best in the game, but with enough practice everyone can learn how to say, cape teleport. Or waveshine. It's the technical stuff that defines what the MU actually is, and if it's managable with enough tech skill then lrn2play is a legitimate thing to say.

If it's a 90-10 MU at the top of the metagame... well that's a different story.

But either way, it's not talking about pros or average Joes, cause let's face it, most pros aren't at the top of the metagame (I see pro ICs drop chaingrabs all the time), it's talking about what the MU is if both players have their tech skill down.
Yoooo ab

how much money do i owe you from the hotel room btw i never paid you i was kinda fu*ked that night XD i'll pay you back next tournamentish btw we NEED more melee friendlies i'm starting to learn dat marth matchup better its just SOOO g@y ;_;

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
*chooses sub zero*

LOL WUT?

Kabal was not as broken as you make him sound.
Hell you cuold THROW him out of spindash too XD.

I did that with Subzero.
He rushed forward, grabbed him out of it, tossed him, 50% combo afterwards.
LULZ ensued.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
tbh and tse yes. But some ppl think "Oh, I have the best character in the game, gg" and don't bother getting the right experience and learning matchups so they end up losing some matches.
Why not, it's not garunteed but you have to apply more effort or else you simply lose

tbh I don't think any "leaders" of this community care enough about Smash to really fix the problems it has and don't affend me like that 'cause if Smash as a whole had the right place in my heart then I would make my own community w/ MK banned.
Comments in (fixed, yellow)

:samus2:

RDK

Smash Hero
If you're actually interested, I'll tell you why they're the same - or should be (And why that could settle the whole MK problem right there...)

Imagine, character striking just like stage striking...
Right, because both characters and stages are random.

Exactly how does that work? Run that by me again.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
but brawl tournament attendance has done nothing but increase and mk is still here

?

mad?
I wish people would stop saying this.

YES IT'S TRUE THAT THE NATURE OF BRAWL IS VERY GOOD AT BRINGING IN NEW PLAYERS.

Brawl is a quirky game, that IS DEEP, has GOOD COMPETATIVE ASPECTS, and continues to bring in NEW PLAYERS.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!

I bet ALL of you can name at least FIVE people you know that QUIT BRAWL. Just because the game is good and young, and can recruit people that don't know of it's problems, DOES NOT MEAN that it doesn't have problems, and isn't dying slowing.

Basically, everytime someone says, "UH, BUT GUYZES, TOURNEY SIZES AREN'T DROPPING." It's like slapping all the people who quit because of MK in the face and saying, "We don't need you, because we can replace you scrubs with NEW scrubs." And then you both stick your tounges at each other, and they say, "Good riddance, I'm glad I quit this stupid game now."

We have one party too stubborn to see what's right in front of them, and other too ignored to keep in the struggle.
Pierce7D, please post that in ADHD's thread. I'd do it, but I don't want to steal your words. :p
It has been done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom