• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why dont people like playing with items?

PKSkyler

Smash Lord
if items appeared in a less "lucky" way (hammer appears next to a guy.He gets it.) and they gave less advantage then they would be ok in 1 on 1 maybe(only like 4 items on low probably tho lol)

I only play items when im messing around with my friends in a free for all, etc.

stratele

Smash Apprentice
I hate them cause you cant really do much about them when they use em! Like that vertical rocket launcher thing. Or the fan!

I always turn items off. BUT... if the other guy has them on and items do appear. Then I will use them. If they use them then I will. Seek revenge. Taste of their own medicine. :laugh:

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
i just reckon that they change the game from a game of skill too much. sureucud say that using items is a skill but sometimes all they good items will always land near the opponnent.
plus the whole thing we emphasise in character discussions is mtachups and items kinda throw it out alot...
soi dunno
wateva floats ur boat

gantrain05

Smash Master
actually shouldn't this thread not even be on the boards, seeing as these are forums for competetive smash only, and items are never allowed soooo....

brod1986

Smash Apprentice
I think that items are fine but they have there place.
1 on 1 battles to decide the fate of the universe and fudes between friends shouldnt have items, cuz a noob can win if the right items come up agains a pro.
However, i think that by allways playing without items we are getting away from what brawl is all about, mayhem. I think that's what nintendo were aiming for, something that anyone can pick up and play and have a good laugh at. What are your thoughs?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
After messing around, I find it amazing how unbalanced the items are. A Soccer Ball launched by Link's ftilt should not do more knockback than the Falcon Punch. That item is ridiculous.

SpudUK

Smash Rookie
Alot easier to win with luck with items, so its usually better without them. Could do with more Smash Balls though. :D

Atsu

Smash Ace
I don't mind items during friendlies. It adds a new level of fun as long as only some items are on. Definitely hate it when all items are on high.

Like if you play with X, I'm fine. If you play with X, Y, Z, I'm fine. But if you play with the whole alphabet and then some, I'm out of there!

It's also nice to use them with people that don't really play the game (friends, family, etc). It sorta evens out the playing field so the maximum amount of fun can be achieved.

Don't get me wrong though, I prefer 0% items at all times. I'm not someone that'll go "Real Men Use Items" or w/e they say nowadays. But I'm also not one that will go /wrist because a couple items are on.

TYGA

Smash Rookie
I don't understand why people hate items so much? It tests your skill in random situations. It's unpredictable, and you've got to be fast on your feet to think of whether you should go for some items, or lead someone into a trap, etc.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
When we decide to just have a screw around fest or aim to get some really cool pictures, we have the items on.
Otherwise, I love how people assume "i'm better than you, I beat you all the time because a bomb lands right next to you and you smash it to your death"

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
When we decide to just have a screw around fest or aim to get some really cool pictures, we have the items on.
Otherwise, I love how people assume "i'm better than you, I beat you all the time because a bomb lands right next to you and you smash it to your death"
now this is a QFT :laugh:

you turn the items off and their at your mercy, cause theres no random bomb or insta bat to save them from you lol.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Items seem to luck involved, and draw too much commotion to the game itself. You should only have to worry about the enemy and/or competition. Not all this other stuff. Like where a Sensor Bomb could be, or where there is a Bob-Bomb roaming around to.

Peck

Smash Apprentice
One reason I dont like using items is that in Sudden Death with items on Bombchus will fall.

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Items = random.
Random = funny.
Funny = happy.

Seriously, why are you guys so obsessed with winning? Okay, in tournaments, you play to win. In friendlies, you play to have fun. So put the items you like on in friendlies.

NEMP

Smash Rookie
I really don't understand you guys...

Items were a core element since SSB64.
So they are now.
Sure, items appear randomly and sometimes it seems, they only give advantages to your opponent, but that's just not true.
A game is something that should amuse you.
Most non video games involve a dice. WOAH a dice is so random, let's play Monopoly without it!!!! Even most strategic tabletop games involve dices and nobody claims that rolling a dice is noobish.
You see what I mean? Sure some items are just overpowered: Smash Ball, Dragoon, Golden Hammer and the strong healing items.
But we take a look at the normal hammer. It's incredibly strong, but when picking it up you are a great target for every other item. You have only 1 jump and are pretty limited in movement. One smash while picking up the hammer and you're done. You are a playball which can easily be knocked from the stage.

But all other items can be dodged or blocked or catched. They aren't a real problem.
Randomness is always fair, because both sides get the same advantage of it on an avarage.
It's nothing for competitive play.
But competitive play transforms a game to a sport.
So please stop whinning when you lost a game due to some unlucky item!

Me myself, is a fan of playing without items, when you try to get better at a certain character, but in general brawl it is ok to play with items. Yeah I do hate some items as already mentioned! Stage hazards are also random and often predictable (paradoxon), so a good player knows them and is able to evade them.

I just wish you all some nice brawls or melees and quit being so *****y about items and hazards. It's part of the game and if you don't like it: how about another game ^^

Have fun!
Nemp

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Like most people have already said, items are cheap and thats why I don't use them often. I never use items when I'm practicing for a tourney. But when I'm playing for fun I use a few items sometimes.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Items are only fun when you have a bunch of friends over and you're doing 4 man FFA in 1 on 1 items fail.
Actually, that's not completely true.

Items are for when you literally just plain want to mess around and have fun no matter how many people there are.

Items, however, are not for competition.

Honestly, I love stealing myself a good Smart Bomb or two whenever possible. :D

_Tiamat_

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why people hate items so much? It tests your skill in random situations. It's unpredictable, and you've got to be fast on your feet to think of whether you should go for some items, or lead someone into a trap, etc.
Most of the characters I use are slow and for some reason, whenever someone want to challenge me with items, the player use a fast runner, so I'm never getting anything I want unless it apear in a really small range around me. Playing with items put most of my characters at dissadvantage.

Last item match I had was vs a Toon Link (also helps a bunch since he is great at breaking smashballs and his FS is good)

But really, when someone turn items on I'll just go to Captain Falcon or Sonic if needed.

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
Items are fun for playing non serious matches, but if you are playing a serious match, then I would too perfer no items. It's just a test of skill without items there to aid you.

woopyfrood

Smash Lord
Any dope can pick up an item, but it takes real skill to make your opponent FAIL at using them...

Roihu

Smash Ace
I really don't understand you guys...

Items were a core element since SSB64.
So they are now.
Sure, items appear randomly and sometimes it seems, they only give advantages to your opponent, but that's just not true.
A game is something that should amuse you.
Most non video games involve a dice. WOAH a dice is so random, let's play Monopoly without it!!!! Even most strategic tabletop games involve dices and nobody claims that rolling a dice is noobish.
You see what I mean? Sure some items are just overpowered: Smash Ball, Dragoon, Golden Hammer and the strong healing items.
But we take a look at the normal hammer. It's incredibly strong, but when picking it up you are a great target for every other item. You have only 1 jump and are pretty limited in movement. One smash while picking up the hammer and you're done. You are a playball which can easily be knocked from the stage.

But all other items can be dodged or blocked or catched. They aren't a real problem.
Randomness is always fair, because both sides get the same advantage of it on an avarage.
It's nothing for competitive play.
But competitive play transforms a game to a sport.
So please stop whinning when you lost a game due to some unlucky item!

Me myself, is a fan of playing without items, when you try to get better at a certain character, but in general brawl it is ok to play with items. Yeah I do hate some items as already mentioned! Stage hazards are also random and often predictable (paradoxon), so a good player knows them and is able to evade them.

I just wish you all some nice brawls or melees and quit being so *****y about items and hazards. It's part of the game and if you don't like it: how about another game ^^

Have fun!
Nemp
This definitely wins the topic. Except sometimes they pick up items at the worst times and are unavoidable.

Pokemon Mystery

Smash Cadet
Times like when you recover then a Bomb-Omb comes and blows up when you land.And Home-Run bat and Smashballs are the cheapest.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
I only use Items With Anyone. I can tick people off with 'em, and nobody knows who I am. XD *Grabs Fan and spams*

With 1v1s with my buddies, they're burdensome... and rather annoying, hindering our match of skill. Items in Basic Brawl only, plz.

Meadow

Smash Apprentice
Mainly because most items are ridiculously overpowered...some items are just plain useless though, so I guess it balances out a bit. But it always makes you angry whenever you get hit with a fan 500 times, or you get hit by a bumper thrown at you, getting hit repeatedly by someone's Home Run Bat they just threw, getting your Bob-Omb reflected back at you when you try to throw it, or throwing a Smart Bomb too close and hitting your opponent AND yourself...the Ray Gun, in my opinion, seems to have been the item that has been buffed up the most. No longer can you dodge the blasts between each blast, now you can keep getting shot until you get hit off the side of the screen.

Mr. Saturn, Smoke Balls, Springs, those are items that amusing and fun top lay with sometimes, but overall, I'd rather keep the items off in a match.

Top Bottom