• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I don't play a low tier. I play a bottom tier. Get ***** everyone else except Bowser Mewtwo Pichu and somebody else I can't bother to remember.

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
I play low tiers because I find them easier to use than high tiers. I have yet to lose a match with bowser, but I completely suck with shiek. plus I enjoy useing low ters more anyways, they just happen to be some of my favorite characters.

khepri

Smash Lord
Low-tiers can have some impact, and some are quite decent against the high tiers...like we have that match of my ness rocking your fox, hehe. Is that vid upped yet by the way?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Low-tiers can have some impact, and some are quite decent against the high tiers...like we have that match of my ness rocking your fox, hehe. Is that vid upped yet by the way?
hey khepri go back to the midwest jerk.

i had to reformat my computer before i could upload any of the matches from that day with Nemises, sorry.

(ps, get on aim)

khepri

Smash Lord
So does that mean the matches aren't coming? :( My internet sucks here, so I can hardly ever stay logged on to aim.

Woooooow, how does Mango not know who G-reg is??

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I wonder if there are negative tiers where Nega-Sheik or Nega-Marth or Nega-Fox roam. That'd be insane, sort of a reverse dimension where Nega-Bowser and Nega-Mewtwo and Nega-Pichu reign supreme.
There is. All lvl 1 CPU team battle.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
anyways guys i really like young link. one of the most mobile characters in all situations, and VERY fun to ditto with. he reminds me of captain falcon, except younger, weaker, projectiles... and yeah.

he's also too young to die!

heheh... actually his small size and mobility makes it hard to setup those killer moves against young link. very similar to pichu, if any of you have played pichu competitively before. you actually end up surviving to very high percents if your evasion is good, because your size helps you avoid smash attacks (even from marth) and knees and stuff.

that's my motto with young link

HE'S TOO YOUNG TO DIE?!

"hey choknater... how are you so good with young link?"
"oh, it's not me. it's young link. it's because he's young."

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
What's the point? I mean, I understand that some people play low tier characters for various reasons - such as it being their fave character, or they have fun with it.

but i'm talking to those people who pick low tier characters, and play competitively.

why do you do it? what's the point, a fox or sheik is always going to take you out.
I don't play Low Tier: I main a Bottom Tier in Melee and the 2nd best character in SSB-64. :laugh:

I main Kirby because I've been playing as him since before Smash was invented and Kirby Super Star was a big reason I decided to main him when Smash finally came around; it's such an awesome game. I don't care how good or bad he is, hence I still play him in Melee.

One main reason I love playing Kirby is the challenge. This is also why I'd rather play against tough opponents instead of taking pleasure in destroying newbs.

There's not going to be only one reason why people play Low/Bottom/Middle/Not-Top-or-At-Least-High Tier characters. There are plenty of reasons people play the characters they want to play.

BTW: A Fox or Shiek isn't going to take me out in a tournament - a better player will.

kobefox2485

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alfredo24pr
to discover new tricks with those characters and its less pressure, so they can be underdogs i guess. Also, since almost no one uses low tier, then most people dont know how the characters react or how can they be comboed.

Repyh

Smash Journeyman
Because "Low Tier" is harder to get good with. And that equals more fun (for me)
Boozer Greetings! F-Smash! (on "High Tiers" nyanyanya)

EDIT:
Also: Most of the Low tier characters are... more awesome ^^ (looks, personality, move-sets, etc.)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
BTW: A Fox or Shiek isn't going to take me out in a tournament - a better player will.
not always, you have to play MUCH SMARTER AND BETTER than the other player in order to win.

example:

a really technical fox can beat a sheik who plays much better than him just because he's fox and is technical.

Repyh

Smash Journeyman
not always, you have to play MUCH SMARTER AND BETTER than the other player in order to win.

example:

a really technical fox can beat a sheik who plays much better than him just because he's fox and is technical.
eh... no... I have a sheik in that situation and I win with 3 or 4 stock
tech skills are nothing if you don't use your head right.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I main marth/spacies/shiek/falcon/G&W. Why game and watch? I'm not sure. I like how he can combo at lower percents with his shffl dair/dtilt/fairs...and I use his over b sometimes altho i wouldnt in a tourny>.>
I also love his taunt, bcuz it really does annoy the other player and u can get into their head a little. I <3 his recovery too

Impp

Smash Ace
Being good at tech skills make you a better player. And if you lose, you didn't play much better than your opponent. There's nothing not smart about using your technical ability with Fox to **** people in tournaments.

As for low tier, whatever, I play to win, if you can **** me with your character, lets see it,
Above all, no johns, either way.

-Respect

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
You out play the tier list and show that you are great, if your in a tourney and you beat Shiek with Pichu you get more props then it happening the other way round.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
I play Ganondorf because he's awesome.

No, seriously.

I love his playstyle in general, plus he was my first true "main." Also the first character I ever beat my friend's Fox with. And of course, as I said... he's awesome.

I play Bowser, Mewtwo, and Ness (especially Ness) because they're just plain fun to play as.

And then I also play Luigi and Ice Climbers. I seem to do very well as the Ice Climbers.

I know these aren't all "low tier" characters, but I don't have a copy of the current tiers handy, so... yeah. XD

travis.luckiest

Smash Apprentice
i play low tier ..because pikachu is too good ..and does not belong low tier AT ALL
..and bowser is just modest ..he doesn't even try to be higher on the tier list ..he has personality ..it's why i love him

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It's all about who you're most comfortable with. If I was going to enter a tournament (already won a local nubish one as Roy XD) I would use Captain Falcon or Ness, simply because I find them easy to use.
And people play lower tier in tournaments as it adds variety. It's so all the matches aren't all :

ZOMG!! FALCO VS SHIEK
FOX VS FALCO
FALCO VS MARTH
FOX VS MARTH
FOX VS FOX

etc.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
So, my understanding of the question is (going back to the beginning of this thread), "Why do people play low tiers in tournaments if they don't win?"

I think low tier players play in tournaments for the same reason most people play in tournaments: playing competitively is fun. Sure, picking a different character might give them a better chance of winning. But then, why do all players, those who have never won and never will win a major tournament... why do they play? Why do they bother paying at all?

Because playing competitively is fun, and it's more fun to improve than it is to win. Seriously, do you know why there are no competitive tic-tac-toe players? Because just about anyone can play it perfectly if they just set their mind to it a little. The game is "solved", it's easy to reach the point of no improvement.

Note that the mere action of picking a different character doesn't really constitute any sort of "progress" beyond your position on the rankings. Improvement, that sense of accomplishment, is something you feel. It's pulling off that awesome combo, that waveland into f-smash, or anything else you couldn't do before, whatever character you're using. Where you are on the ladder is entirely irrelevant from this perspective, the perspective of people who don't win.

You know what happens to people who can beat everyone else at something, yet feel there is no room for them to improve? They get bored and do something else. When every match, every work of competitive beauty feels the same as ones you have done before, it is like an artist losing his muse. He may have created the most beautiful thing anyone has ever laid eyes on. And that, indeed, is a wonderful accomplishment. But if he loses the ability to express himself in new ways (like a gamer who has "solved" the game) he will leave the art.

In conclusion, low tier players play competitively for the same reason anyone else does. Because they like to improve, and there's room to improve.

felix45

Smash Lord
people pick low tier because they like to be chain grabbed to 120% by shiek then take a fairs?

I dont know. I know for a player like azen it is because he gets bored playing top tier. I know a lot of the time skill level between opponents has to do with it. for instance I'll play scrubs in my area with random characters because I know I'll win, so I may as well present myself a challenge.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
So, my understanding of the question is (going back to the beginning of this thread), "Why do people play low tiers in tournaments if they don't win?"

I think low tier players play in tournaments for the same reason most people play in tournaments: playing competitively is fun. Sure, picking a different character might give them a better chance of winning. But then, why do all players, those who have never won and never will win a major tournament... why do they play? Why do they bother paying at all?

Because playing competitively is fun, and it's more fun to improve than it is to win. Seriously, do you know why there are no competitive tic-tac-toe players? Because just about anyone can play it perfectly if they just set their mind to it a little. The game is "solved", it's easy to reach the point of no improvement.

Note that the mere action of picking a different character doesn't really constitute any sort of "progress" beyond your position on the rankings. Improvement, that sense of accomplishment, is something you feel. It's pulling off that awesome combo, that waveland into f-smash, or anything else you couldn't do before, whatever character you're using. Where you are on the ladder is entirely irrelevant from this perspective, the perspective of people who don't win.

You know what happens to people who can beat everyone else at something, yet feel there is no room for them to improve? They get bored and do something else. When every match, every work of competitive beauty feels the same as ones you have done before, it is like an artist losing his muse. He may have created the most beautiful thing anyone has ever laid eyes on. And that, indeed, is a wonderful accomplishment. But if he loses the ability to express himself in new ways (like a gamer who has "solved" the game) he will leave the art.

In conclusion, low tier players play competitively for the same reason anyone else does. Because they like to improve, and there's room to improve.

OKAY, so what you're saying is that High Tiers have less room to improve than low tier players.

cool.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
No, that's not what he's saying,... read it again.

"Because playing competitively is fun, and it's more fun to improve than it is to win."

"You know what happens to people who can beat everyone else at something, yet feel there is no room for them to improve? They get bored and do something else. When every match, every work of competitive beauty feels the same as ones you have done before, it is like an artist losing his muse. He may have created the most beautiful thing anyone has ever laid eyes on. And that, indeed, is a wonderful accomplishment. But if he loses the ability to express himself in new ways (like a gamer who has "solved" the game) he will leave the art."

is it not implied there that low tier players have more room to improve? He's stating that when you have essentially "maxed out" the limit of your high tier, then you move on to a low tier, which is frankly stupid, you will improve, but you can only get so far.

"like a gamer who has solved the game."

lol, i'm sure that's why m2k goes yoshi every tournament, right?

Top Bottom