• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
The whole point of playing low tiers is as follows

-The element of surprise. When someone goes into a match playing lets say a bowser or luigi when they are let us say falco or peach they are thinking "Okay, a low tier character, i now have a higher chance of winning because my character is natrually better." but if that person is absolutely sick with luigi and has a good mindgame to go along with them they can/will win. They have the ability to SURPRISE their opponent because high tier characters are used to fighting other high tier characters... basically yeah..its the element of surprise.
well it's not an "element of surprise," it's more of not knowing a certain matchup.

Kips

Smash Ace
well it's not an "element of surprise," it's more of not knowing a certain matchup.
But see, many players don't prepare to play against low tiers because they only expect Fox, Marth or Sheik or Falco. This means that they don't know the matchup and summarily you can expect at least one win if you are both of equal skill and they can't adjust.

KangKyu

Smash Apprentice
Well, first of all: you would love to get flamed no?
Second: We are people who don't think the so called "low-tier" group is low tier.
We also choose to challenge ourselves and try something new and stick to it instead of joing a long bandwagon of endless bias partials.

Please, don't be partial.

Kips

Smash Ace
? Actually I believe many low-tier mains acknowledge the fact that they are playing characters with larger disadvantages. Look a couple pages back for Gimpys post. (Best Boozer main in the world!)

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I agree with Kips, I know that Roy sucks againist almost everyone but that doesn't stop me from using him, he is just to fun to use just like the other low tier's and it gives me a challenge fighting everyone else who doesn't main low tier's. I just love it when i beat a Marth player with Roy it gives me a Smile deep down inside. Every had that feeling guys beating a higher tier character with your low tier main?
I also use Pichu And beated A Ice climber's user which was the toughest fight of my Smash life ever.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I probably wouldn't play a low tier character, not because he/she's low tier, but because high tier characters are usually high tier because of more options and better combos, which are what make the game fun for me.

That said, I hope Peach can combo just as well.

The Mano Games VII

Smash Journeyman
Where I live? Why, location is a state of mind my
It seems people have used how often a character wins a tourney as a valid defense for not playing low tier. But personally, I think many people who ignore the tier list are also people who play more casually, which to me means that the reason there are more tourney players who win with fox or marth is simply because there are more competitive players who actually PLAY as those characters. An why are there more of those? Because there are definetly people who have read about how much Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Link etc. apparently suck according to some, and how good Fox, Marth, and Shiek are, and have accepted that without actually pausing to question it or see if it's true through a play test.

It is true that lower tier have more limitations. But the fact that other higher tier characters have more natural advantages doesn't mean **** if those advantages don't do anything against the apparently "inferior" character. Sure, it most likely means that the lower tier character can't do anything either, but at least their not losing or getting damaged.

And also one more thing, we ARE ONLY HUMAN. Which means it's absolutely impossible for us to fight a "perfect" match when two players are fairly even in skill level. And it also means that we may make costly errors in our performances that give lower tier characters a victory. And keep in mind that some characters are harder to use to "maximum" effect than some lower tier characters. And If the two get into a complete stalemate that stretches on for a long long while, dollars to doughnuts that the player playing the higher tier character will screw up simply because of their characters bigger demands for concentration. And if a character is hard to use, it also means they fall into similar routines no matter whom they might be facing. In that case a low tier player doesn't have to use a "better" character, they just need to correctly predict when to dodge and hit.

Finally, there are also many emotional skills that come with everything. Don't you think you'd need an enormous emount of dedication to not think about personal problems, how tired your eyes are getting, how bored and frustrated your getting with the stalemate, how to fight through your aches in your fingers, how to not give in to pressure, how not to get too excited, and just how important this is to you anyways? Well those are just my thoughts on this question, I hope I've been able to help.

FRSHSONX

Smash Cadet
always going to take you out? dude.... ive pwned with jiggz and luigi...... dont doubt the low tiers.... the tier list is shiet.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The only person that's going to take me out is someone who's better than me. Whether is a Fox, Falco, Roy or Kirby, the better player is the one who goes on to the next round.

Anther

Smash Champion
I play pika simply because I've found the advantages / disadvantages when playing a random fox / falco are about equal, and the advantage they gain when they are familiar has been so slight in the fact that I can still find approaches, and he's fast enough to avoid a lot of gaying the other characters might be good at. Pika = too good at ezy gimps, and doesn't succumb to the nasty combos fox/falco get stuck in.

If I'm having a bad match against someone in tourney I'll switch characters. It's not a good idea to limit yourself because you want to only like playing one character, or just don't want to complicate your tech game or something like that. Expand your characters and style, smash is too good for one char >.>.

I also don't wanna lose. If all of a sudden I lost a lot and felt it was my character's fault, I'd switch lol.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
The only person that's going to take me out is someone who's better than me. Whether is a Fox, Falco, Roy or Kirby, the better player is the one who goes on to the next round.
Not necessarily.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Luigi: WD spotdodge lol
Jiggs: approach w/wop

Also, both chars are fast with in and out movements that are good at faking people out...

Why is it always the Marth or Fox that are hard to fight "if they know what they're doing"? >_>

Every character is challenging if they know what they're doing lol

PEPA!

Smash Cadet
i just dont like playing with a character that everyone else has. i dont think of "element of surprise" i just see, 10 fox's, 35 marths's, falco's, sheiks, and i just tell myself....."im gonna play someone else" so thats why i play Dr. Mario + when you beat a top tier with a low tier it feels much better than the other way around

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I completely agree with this. :)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Same.

But, I've always enjoyed using Young Link and Sheik before I ever went to a tournament- and that's a good 4 or 5 years of playing. Plus, the tourneys I've gone to have been Fox-fests or Math-fests, I hardly ever see a Sheik. But, they aren't incredibly competitive tourneys- we're at least allowed items.

But... I do love using Fox and Mario just for guilty pleasure.

Same-Move Sammy

Smash Rookie
One goal could be to gauge the capabilities of supposed low-tiers in tournament play. If people only goofed around with characters that they assumed were low-tier, the characters' potentials would not be properly evaluated. Competitive play with low-tiers may additionally reveal tricks that casual play would not produce, because there is more of an incentive to win.

It's very difficult to prove that a low-tier character will stay low-tier forever, although things tend to be that way.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Alright, well I play Marth/Fox/Pika. I think my Fox/Marth are better than my Pikachu, but I still use Pikachu in some serious fights.

Why are my Marth/Fox better? Well, they are better characters, but also I've chosen to play them more often. I know matchups better with those characters.

I find that the whole "element of surprise" thing goes out the window after like... 5 matches against a character. I know Pikachu isn't crap, so I would still choose to play him. If he was absolute crap, would I still play him? Yeah, but only if he was fun to play as. I'm not going to play a crappy character so I can feel good about myself when I beat a Fox.

In fact, if I won 2/5 matches as Pikachu I would probably feel worse than if I won 4/5 matches as Fox.

I don't like being called a high-tier wh0re when it's very evident that many, but not all, low-tier mains wh0re their low-tier to make losses more acceptable. "Oh yeah, well I was Pichu and I GOT YOU TO 2 STOCK LAWLZ". Get the focks out (double-meaning).

Also, only very knowledge-deprived or very "persistent" people truly debate the existence of tiers at all. In our human realm with human restrictions, the game meta-physics and character physics make some characters more priveliged or less priveliged than others.

Lol I start work in 10 minutes. Crap.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Just because they are high tier doesn't mean that you are instantly good with them when you play them.

I main Ice Climbers, Ness and Roy in that order and they are pretty low down the tier list.

Simply because If you could verse yourself, I was falco and Ice Climbers, Ice Climbers would win.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
What's the point? I mean, I understand that some people play low tier characters for various reasons - such as it being their fave character, or they have fun with it.

but i'm talking to those people who pick low tier characters, and play competitively.

why do you do it? what's the point, a fox or sheik is always going to take you out.
I main Zelda. She is the only character I use in competitive matches and I never change to Sheik. Also I will never use Sheik or any other character to counterpick my opponent.

I play low tier because it fits my play style. It feel comfortable and I know that everytime I use her I am playing my best. I never really had any overwhelming love for Zelda, but now she and I are connected/bonded by fate. Or it may be destiny. I never meant to be a Zelda main but it just kinda worked and so now I wanna keep working at it.

I fear no match up. High tiers may beat me but I will never back away from them. And no matter how far behind I am in stock (be it teams or singles) I never quit. Worrying about a certain match up would only mean that I'm not focused on doing my best. I'd probably make more mistakes as a result.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
always going to take you out? dude.... ive pwned with jiggz and luigi...... dont doubt the low tiers.... the tier list is shiet.
well, the tier list is outdated. im pretty sure luigi would be placed at mid for 2008 based on tournament placings...and who told you jiggs was low tier?

edit: dragmire too. i think noobs all have the misconception that jiggs is low tier...

Kips

Smash Ace
Yes, the misconception is commonly held that Jigglypuff is low tier. Jigglypuff is medium tier due to a great aerial game and combo game. Oh, and Rest and Pound are just plain awesome. And she has an incredible recovery.

Anther

Smash Champion
I don't believe in low tier players johning out about their character sucking for being the reason they lost.
Personally, I think I have too many tricks for pika to even let the "Surprise" factor ruin me, cause once that's done, he's seemed versatile enough to still win, even against peeps that I've been playing for almost a year now.

Top Bottom