• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Indeed. Bum is the best DK main worldwide and is an incredible player. Just the fact that he can play that well is incredible, and his control over his character is bordering on godlike.
Some would say this PKM Vodka guy has a pretty decent DK >.> .
But you cant really bring up DK or Luigi as its mostly understood that if a new tier list were to come out, they wouldn't be low tier any more.
Amen.
Just because they are high tier doesn't mean that you are instantly good with them when you play them.
=P I didn't say that. But frankly, I think the learning curve to become an amateur player (eg, top 20 in your state) with a high tier is a more comfortable one.
Simply because If you could verse yourself, I was falco and Ice Climbers, Ice Climbers would win.
I'd be careful there. Character match-up comes in to play as well. I'm pretty sure that my Sheik would beat my Pikachu, but that doesn't mean my Sheik is better.

I think if low-tier players didn't bring-up the fact that their characters are low-tier so often, the high-tier players wouldn't care so much. Neither should a high-tier player have to feel BAD about beating a low-tier main. If my Fox ***** a ness even though I have little experience against that character, I don't want to hear the words "low-tier" or "it's ness" or "At least I didn't get 4stocked" . I want to shake your hand and smile as if I had just beaten a Fox.

And if for some unholy reason I am beaten by a friend's very good Ness, I don't want to hear those words either.

Oh god, especially if it's Kirby.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
I don't believe in low tier players johning out about their character sucking for being the reason they lost.
Personally, I think I have too many tricks for pika to even let the "Surprise" factor ruin me, cause once that's done, he's seemed versatile enough to still win, even against peeps that I've been playing for almost a year now.
lol anther is too good.

it seems only good low tier players understand the no johns factor.

essentially, if you don't want to get gayed/cg'd or whatnot, then don't pick your character.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
But see, many players don't prepare to play against low tiers because they only expect Fox, Marth or Sheik or Falco. This means that they don't know the matchup and summarily you can expect at least one win if you are both of equal skill and they can't adjust.
yeah but at that point the majority of the players who don't know the matchup will either:

a) learn it/catch on quickly
b) camp.

edit:

my bad, double post.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
well basically, a lot of low tier players will say "you only won because you chain grabbed me with sheik"

or

"you only won because you camped me"

so basically, character johns are dumb.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
well basically, a lot of low tier players will say "you only won because you chain grabbed me with sheik"

or

"you only won because you camped me"

so basically, character johns are dumb.
They don't just apply to low tier players, just players who can't accept the fact that they were outplayed by these "cheap" stuff. I mean its like an average smasher who looks at us and says wavedashing is "cheap" when they lose. But when they win they don't say anything like "you chaingrabbed me and made it a hard game."

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Yeah, but you can character john with alot of characters.

"You only beat me cus you played Sheik on FoD against my Marth"

"You only won because Marth chain grabs the **** out of Falco"

People will always john, but my favorite has to be "You only won cus I have no idea how to fight a Kirby" :laugh:

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
They don't just apply to low tier players, just players who can't accept the fact that they were outplayed by these "cheap" stuff. I mean its like an average smasher who looks at us and says wavedashing is "cheap" when they lose. But when they win they don't say anything like "you chaingrabbed me and made it a hard game."
yes but the majority of the people who will character john are low tier players.

ie pikachu's getting cg'd by sheik.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
I only play low tier to humilate people lol
I enjoy playing as a low-tier for one reason: Once I beat my friends with one, I ask them "Now, how do you feel 'bout yerself?"
Yeah, this is what I meant.
yes but the majority of the people who will character john are low tier players.

ie pikachu's getting cg'd by sheik.

Quoted for truth. Though high tier players also john, they are strategy-specific johns, not YOUR CHARACTER IS MUCH BETTER THAN MINE johns. I also find that at higher levels of play people john... less. Unless there was a lot on the line, I guess?

If you're going to play low-tier, expect to have a few more disadvantages than the opponent. That is what makes you low-tier, after all. IF you think you can still put up a fight/ have fun, then go right ahead. If you are going to choose a "bad" character and lose and complain about it, it's your bad.

If I'm playing against a Sheik in an FD ONRY tournament [God forbid] , and I CHOOSE to play Pikachu, you can bet I'd have to be pretty **** confident in my anti-Sheik strategies. Cuz otherwise, I'd uhh, go Fox and smack that (all on the floor).

Btw anther, I guess my pikachu is better than yours because I learned the inevitable truth faster than you did >.> [obvs joke]. Either that or you had more hope than I did.

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
I can see people enjoying the playstyle of a low tier character in a competitive environment. Sure, you might not win very many tournaments, but the point is to play other competitive players using the low tier character, not to win the tourny.

For example, i have a friend who plays bowser at tournaments. He goes to tournies knowing he's not going to win, but he still pays because he likes bowser's playstyle and would rather play against good players in a competitive environment.
Sounds like your friend plays to have fun. This is the real reason for the creation of this game. I don't stress losing. I stress when I am a moron and run into someone else's attack or make stupid mistakes that cause me to lose. And I do that with Marth, so tier or no tier, skill says a lot.

If you HAVE to win to have fun, play L9 computers.

Anther

Smash Champion
Yeah, this is what I meant.

Btw anther, I guess my pikachu is better than yours because I learned the inevitable truth faster than you did >.> [obvs joke]. Either that or you had more hope than I did.
You speaks the truth. I thought sheik's just messed up randomly. Then at the end of pound someone just tells me, cooly "Hold up and away." I almost rampaged.

Pikachu slays Fox/Falco.

Lucarian

Smash Cadet
Er...

I play Low Tier characters cause I don't really care about what the whole world thinks about why Pichu or Mewtwo sucks. I play low tier characters cause I want to.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Btw, at what percentage do you jump out? And I normally jump away, is it better to jump towards Sheik (after DIing up and away) and nair?

And of course you love boozer vs jiggs. It's a whole lot of... ****?

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Ever met Iori? Thats why I play low tier.

Tier list doesn't mean anything. He beats the top players in the US with mewtwo. Or Pichu. Or Zelda.

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Ever since I started to play the game, there were two characters that I just loved playing as: Peach, and Luigi. It was all about using their specific fighting styles and using everything at their disposal. Over the years, my technical skill improved and as a result, I was able to find other characters' playstyles incredibly exciting (It helps that I had my inspiration from the godly pros, particularly Chu's ICs and Taj's Mewtwo). I just kept branching out and now I have plenty of characters that I feel I reasonably can win a match with. Gimpyfish's statement about learning your character's limitations is perfect and people need to know how to shape their styles to match what these people are best at (mindgames, speed, comboing, etc); it's much more about playing the game the way you want to play it than proving to people how good a character is.

After getting blasted five matches in a row in pools by Foxes and Marths, my first tournament victory was against a Fox player, with Luigi. I just love playing as him, he's just so incredible.

My character list and proud of it: Sheik, Mario, Marth, Peach, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, Mewtwo.

At this rate, I'm going to be maining/semi-maining 15 characters or so in Brawl. Dizzying.

Top Bottom