• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
What's the point? I mean, I understand that some people play low tier characters for various reasons - such as it being their fave character, or they have fun with it.

but i'm talking to those people who pick low tier characters, and play competitively.

why do you do it? what's the point, a fox or sheik is always going to take you out.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Most of the time I think it is either because they are trying to protest against the tier list as people often do.
Or its because they actually find the character interesting, but i play high tier because i cannot play slow characters and because its the smarter choice IMO!!!!

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I can see people enjoying the playstyle of a low tier character in a competitive environment. Sure, you might not win very many tournaments, but the point is to play other competitive players using the low tier character, not to win the tourny.

For example, i have a friend who plays bowser at tournaments. He goes to tournies knowing he's not going to win, but he still pays because he likes bowser's playstyle and would rather play against good players in a competitive environment.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I stick with Kirby becasue I did since the Smash 64 days. So far, I didn't lose to any Top Tier characters yet due to me knowing they every move. Well, you can say I know what I'm doing when I play a match. I didn't say I won easiley though.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Well I have 2 mains, Captain Falcon and Bowser, 2 totally different characters, but I like both their playstyles very much, and sure, it's nice to beat up a Fox with Bowser, which I do all the time to a friend of mine, but I don't pick Bowser just to tease the Fox, I just like to play with him :)...

Aah this brings back a memory....I was at my first tourney ever, and I was playing with C.Falcon, I lost and I thought: ''Well if C.Falcon loses, I'm definitly going to destroy them with Ganondorf....''
Was I foolish at the time :p....

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
A lot of random foxes and sheiks don't take me out anymore <_<

I just play a balanced group of characters, and the low-tier has a surprise factor as well as being one of my better characters and a counter to spacies.

I just started playing Bowser cause i loved him in most games.. and have high tier counters cause i also like winning *shrugs*

Karleko

Smash Cadet
I play Link, Mario, Fox, Falco, Marth and a few others.
With Marth and Falco I have a high chance of winning, but when plaing Link i feel like I would win 100%. For instance when playaing say Fox, I would initially use Falco, Marth or Fox and win with 2 or 3 stock left, but I could lose.
But when using Link I will win no matter what, most likely with 1 stock left. But win none the less.

RoyTheFlamboyant

Smash Journeyman
I got nothing to prove. xD

The only time I really play competitively is during teams, and Zelda is just so... not broken... but... no one around here's expecting anything from Zelda, so I get some pretty WTF kills with her in teams. I shield-poked a Marth's foot THROUGH my teammate's shield with a shffled bair once for the kill, it was freaking cool.

f anyone can weasel me into playing singles, I play as Zelda, but I also play/practice with Sheik, so I can always switch. I mostly end up playing as Sheik, needless to say. xD

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I like low-tiers more than high-tiers. They're more fun to play with, since their playstyle isn't normally as...Predefined...But, I don't lose to random high-tiers...I beat them due to my knowing how to...It's not THAT hard to beat Fox/Sheik with Link...

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I play Pichu and Mewtwo so that if I win against my opponent's higher tier characters, it will embrass them infront of everyone. Like this one time my Mewtwo beat this guy's Samus and Falcon and then everyone laughed at him cause he lost to a low tier character.

It's all about the embrassment ppl!

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
I just like the character histories and their movesets/playstyles.

It's just like with Counter-Strike, I can play with the AWP and destroy everyone all day long and feel like I have a forty foot pantsausage, but I prefer to play with glock only, maybe some flashbangs. If I feel like going long range, I either get a USP or Scout.

I like a challenge and an interesting one at that. I might have a 1:2.5 score ratio, but I'm having a great time, especially once in a 10000 I ace the entire enemy team with a glock. It's priceless.

S2

Smash Lord
As a Sheik player, I actually have a lot of fun playing as Zelda.

I practice with her so I can pull her out a tournaments against bad matchups (like IC) or against newbs.

When you play a low-tier, you really have to learn the ins and outs of a character, good strategy, and rely on superior mindgames. While that's true for any character, since your playing low-tier you are already at an advantage. Its really a good way of practicing your mindgames and technical skills, because you can't make nearly as many mistakes and it helps you play smart.

Technical skill and mindgames transfer well from character to character (not exactly, but the basic skills). If you can kick butt with a low tier through mindgames and good technical skill, you can probably destroy with a higher tier if you apply what you learned.

Jones4Life

Smash Apprentice
In the space between you're oven and fridge
i play with mario, but thats only because i've used him since i was very young and the original smash came out. I thik it'd b kind of a waste to stop using him just cuz of tiers. And on top of that hes just comfortable. I can use sheik pretty well too, but other than her theres not alot of high tier characters i really enjoy playing as. And as far as always getting taken out by higher tiers go... well seeing as most of my friends are fox/falco noobs i really haven't been able to put it to the test outside of the King of the Couch events.

Plus isn't it kind of a good thing that some people play low tier? if everyone played as fox and falco, smash would be a fairly boring place. I don't mean to say that nobody should play as fox or falco of anybody high tier, but let us low tier people have our fun.

p.s. Gimpyfish. low tier god.

[/thread]

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
why do you do it? what's the point, a fox or sheik is always going to take you out.
And you got the title 'Smash Director?"

Playing a lower tiered character doesn't mean you'll always lose (especially if the player who uses the higher tiered character sucks). Captain Jack is the best Japanese player and he mains Donkey Kong

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
i wasn't playing during the summer, i was marching....

errrg, anyway...

it's because sniper is probably one of the most unsmart players in the world.

a dumb fox won't always win.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
hmm, I'd have to say Ka-Master (didn't see that coming) then since I can't think of anyone else >_<

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
hmm, I'd have to say Ka-Master (didn't see that coming) then since I can't think of anyone else >_<
*which is why i said i hope nobody points to WA, lol*

but anyway, that's an exception, that's one player out of millions.

i'm looking at the MAJORITY

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
so we have to go back to '06, which is fine.

but you do understand that these are RARE exceptions, correct?

By that logic, I can safely ask "Why play competively?"

Sheesh, just let people do what they wanna do. It's not like it's hurting anyone.

I'm not asking anybody, nor am i forcing them to stop playing their low tier.

If you're going to contribute nothing to my thread other than false accusations and poor reading comprehension, please don't post here.

W.Jr

Smash Lord
My main is samus, but i love playing with young link, ness, Luigi, Mew2 and some other fun character.
I guess the reason i like playing with low tier because its fun owning people using a top tier or mid tier. Also low tier have numerous combo on top and mid tier that like tight. Plus most people don't know how to fight certain low tier character, so you feel you have a slit edge.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I'm not asking anybody, nor am i forcing them to stop playing their low tier.

If you're going to contribute nothing to my thread other than false accusations and poor reading comprehension, please don't post here.

I'm not the one coming off thinking that ONLY top tier users only wins. I.E., your starting post in this topic. So you don't have writing comprehension.

Besides let's list the reasons why people play as low tiered characters:
Interesting
Fan of character
Want to be unique
Likes the playstyle
Looks for a challenge

Now let's look at the reason why people play as high tiered characters:
Broken <- And that's basically it

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
Besides let's list the reasons why people play as low tiered characters:
Interesting
Fan of character
Want to be unique
Likes the playstyle
Looks for a challenge

I'd have to disagree, I play as high tiered characters for the some of the reasons you just listed.

I find them interesting, I'm a fan of the character, and I like their playstyles

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
It's often considered fact that higher tiers win 100% of the time...
Not true.

If a player is dedicated to that "low tier" character... then what does it matter?
You don't crush their dreams and say, "NO! USE FOX, IDIOT!"

Tiers are a bunch of nonsense and are only a bunch of tournament records compiled to make 'rankings'

I bet there are many players with 'low tier' characters that can own many competitive players.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
Incorrect.

the reason i picked fox was because i liked him, and he was my best character, NOT because he's "broken."

if you think fox is broken, pick a different character.

Levitas

the moon
Well, "he's/she's my best character" is so much easier to say with a high/top tier.

I've always had more fun with Ness's playstyle (until he gets shined/spiked/edgeguarded and dies). I also am a fan of EarthBound. And I started playing competitively far to late to be in the game for any real money, so why not? If nothing else, I can always get better and take out a worse marth/fox/sheik with shennanigans, and it'll be funny.

But competitively or not, I play the game because I want to have fun.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Incorrect.

the reason i picked fox was because i liked him, and he was my best character, NOT because he's "broken."

if you think fox is broken, pick a different character.
But that's usually the reason people play a top tier character. It's because they're top tier. I would bet that more people would play Pichu if it was top tier.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
the sense of joy when one defeats an opponent whilst using a low-tier character yields the greatest satisfaction in a game of smash.

ike_love

Smash Apprentice
If you have to ask, then you'll never understand the true reason why. So there's really no point in trying to answer that question.

Kips

Smash Ace
I chose G&W because he seemed to stand out in a unique way, even in the diverse and amazing cast of Melee. After playing a bit and looking at him he seemed like the right character for me- Wacky, fun, imaginative and awesome.

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
As a Sheik player, I actually have a lot of fun playing as Zelda.

I practice with her so I can pull her out a tournaments against bad matchups (like IC) or against newbs.

When you play a low-tier, you really have to learn the ins and outs of a character, good strategy, and rely on superior mindgames. While that's true for any character, since your playing low-tier you are already at an advantage. Its really a good way of practicing your mindgames and technical skills, because you can't make nearly as many mistakes and it helps you play smart.

Technical skill and mindgames transfer well from character to character (not exactly, but the basic skills). If you can kick butt with a low tier through mindgames and good technical skill, you can probably destroy with a higher tier if you apply what you learned.
Best post in this thread. This is almost exactly the way I think as well.

I main Pikachu, and have been for the past 3 years. Why? I like the balance that Pikachu offers. Great recovery, powerful and practical smashes, quick uair spike, good approach game, decent projectile, decent range, horrid grab range, terrible weight... Personally I don't see why Pikachu isn't mid-tier, but I'm not gonna argue that here. Pikachu really fits my playstyle, which is very basic and not technically demanding at all.

Technical skill is an issue with me; I can barely even WD. However, I am a very smart player, which allows me to stay right near the top of Canada's competitive scene. Unfortunately Pika just gets slaughtered by about half of the top/high tiers (Sheik wtf), so in those instances I pick Fox. I've never really dedicated myself to Fox at all, but the perfection of non-char specific technique transfers over. And I do realize that Fox is the most techincally demanding char in the game. Excellent spacing and timing is all that's required for Fox IMO.

In very rare instances I'll pick Peach, but that's dependant on my player matchup (I think I've only played one tourney match with Peach).

C@sH Mooney

Smash Master
bum *****, and did **** at MLG long island

gimpy *****, and hes in your state.

fumi was good, but she quit.

dire ***** still, but with yoshi not as much as GnW anymore

and there are a few more ill add later. just my thoughts though

:)

because playing top tier characters = too easy
epiclulz

all those players have won tournaments/places well consistently, and with good players.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I stick with Kirby becasue I did since the Smash 64 days. So far, I didn't lose to any Top Tier characters yet due to me knowing they every move. Well, you can say I know what I'm doing when I play a match. I didn't say I won easiley though.
NEVER? I find that hard to believe. You can't have played many decent people. No offense to your ability, but when it comes to character match ups like that..

And what are you talking about?

Tires don exist

Top Bottom