• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Because of the certain determination that strives us into what we see as a well earned victory. With the battle uphill, as the metaphor for the using Low Tier, it would feel much better to grasps a hold of that victory.

I play Kirby myself and use him occasionally in tournaments. o___o

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
My character has no weaknesses or limitations. He can do anything pretty much and with little trouble.

This thread isn't really talking to me though, since I play as Ness.

D

Deleted member

Because low tier doesn't mean bad. It means "hard to master." I can take out a Fox or Falco anyday as Mewtwo, DK, or Bowser. They are my 3 mains in Melee. Want to disagree? Talk to the smilie: :grrr:
Lol, u need to go to tournaments. Low tier=bad. Except ness, that was a typo.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
G&W's possibly THE EASIEST character to master. After that, you just have to play smarter and have good spacing. A skilled G&W should place around the same place any middle tier would at a tourney.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I wish I were a traveling **** G&W and a mod, then the previous group of posts would be more awesome T_T

Colenstien

Smash Ace
I choose DK over all others. Why? He is acharacter I can win with. Tournament wise? Not all the time, but DK is still gonna help me win my match. I know I'm not the best player ever but I can get the job done. Besides, it's not like an experienced Bowser player will lose to a novice shiek.

What am I really trying to say here? TIRES DON EXITS!

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
worst characters in order from worst to really bad but not the absolute worst: Pichu, Bowser, Kirby, Mewtwo, Ness, Yoshi

Best character in the entire F***ing game when played by Simna: Ness, Pichu(what, you've never seen Simna's Pichu? Its AMAZING)

platnum

Smash Lord
TIERS MEAN NEARLY NOTHING!

its all based on how many people use each char, NOT on char potential!

example:marth(high tier)>>>>>>>>>>>>fox(TOP tier)

also, i main roy and ganon(low tier) and i usaly win, because they fit my playstyle better than high tiers.

tires don exits

Skler

Smash Master
I play Link because tiers are stupid and don't exist.

I believe this thread proves everything you need to know about why people play low tiers.

Levitas

the moon
@ platinum: wrong. That is all.

BTW, Ness is too fun. I love playing him. I just need to figure out how to kill falco and sheik now... lol

N64

Smash Champion
I originally switched mains from shiek to pikachu upon finding out about tiers. In almost all games I like playing somewhat underpowered characters/classes for multiple reasons.

1) Their potential seems less explored. I like playing around with a character and figuring out my own style to them from the start. I'll take a few tactics here and there from other players, but it feels nice to feel like I've developed a lot of my style myself. As well, I like to push games to their limits and see all that is possible. Since high and top tier are more commonly played, you're bound to see all that they're capable because enough people will be trying to push the character to its limits. Low and bottom tiers are underrepresented, and so it's likely their potential won't be as well explored. I'm not out to prove that pikachu can be up their with higher characters, I think his tier placement is about right, but I'd like to be able to show what he's capable of. Sometimes I'll lose and come out of the match with a smile on my face because I'd have pulled off and interesting 0-death one stock that turned a few heads. Showing what he can do is just as important to me as showing how good he is as a character.

2) The challenge. It's a challenge to win, regardless of your character, but I like to up the difficulty a little bit. This ties a little bit into notoriety, my next point, but I get excited when I know i'm at a disadvantage from the start, and it makes winning with that starting disadvantage so much more meaningful to me. I'm aware that my character has a plateau far below that of other characters in terms of potential, but I don't necessarily have to be in the finals place very high as long as I feel I progressed farther than people exprected me to..

3) Notoriety. Yeah, the attention is nice, and it is somewhat easier to become known as a lowtier player than a high tier one, as long as you can get used to losing a lot. I'm honestly pretty bad at this game, but I've played pikachu enough to be comfortable with him and can pull off some pretty **** combos if I get the chance. Then people oooo and ahhh because they haven't seen pikachus do that before and they think I'm good because of it. So yeah, it's easier to become popular with a low tier character, and I'll admit I like the attention.

4) Playstyle. Pikachu is fun, what can I say. I didn't decide "I'm going to play the character that's at the 18th spot in the tiers" or whatever. I just knew I wanted a high-low tier char that was fun to play. He's fast, versatile, and has a lot of little interesting things to him. Back when I was picking him up, not a lot of people knew how the uair worked, and now it's common knowledge and a very important part of his gameplay, so figuring all that out and getting used to it was fun. I play young link for similar reasons, I like his playstyle, it feels natural.

5) Inexperience advantage. For a while I assumed this could somewhat cover for my character's inadequacies. Everyone knows how to play against foxes, sheiks, marths, etc. but few know what to do against a pikachu. It's less present nowadays since the game has been out for so long and most decent players have a general idea of how to deal with all chars, but there can be a decent advantage in your opponent not knowing what to expect. Since most of my matches would be against higher tiered characters, I'd likely have more experience in the matchup than them and would know what to watch out for and what I could do in a lot of situations, where as they would have to figure out a lot of this stuff during the match.

Nowadays, I mostly play him in tournaments because I'll do best with him. Yeah I've played a lot with top tier, in friendlies I've played more fox and marth than any other chars lately. But in tournaments, I have the most competative experience and invariably do better with pikachu than about any other character I could choose.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I main Ness in Melee, and he's considered lower tier to tier noobs...

To me, tier means absolutely nothing, either you are good or you just flat out fail...

I know everything there is to know about countering Fox and Sheik with Ness, because I have been to tournaments and fought many Pro Fox and Sheik players and they do the same thing all the time...

These jokes preach to me about tiers and say how they'll always beat me with Fox or Sheik, heh nothing but a bunch of spammers lol, and they think it is funny to see that there is a serious Pro Ness player amongst their ranks, but I always have the last laugh...

Even though he was "nerfed" in Melee, I still played as Ness anyway... I only play as Ness because I like him and I am a fan of the Mother series...

That's why I play as a... "lower tier"... character...
Whut r u talking about? Ness is a pretty bad character. He hardly has no ground game? What tournaments were you going to... I want to mm those people plz.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I play them because I play like almost every character in the game <_<
It's boring sticking to one character..

But if it's a serious match, I'll probably use Link. Why?
I've played with Link since a little before I got into Advanced Melee.. And I learned all the basics with him.
I can play high tier characters, but they don't feel right. I'm just most comfortable with Link and really confident with him.

Lazylen

Smash Rookie
Because I love playing as Yoshi, and wouldn't change my main for the world (unless Gooey got into Brawl, then I would :p). I've been playing as Yoshi since the original, and I continue to do so. Though Captain Falcon is the character I've been working on lately, the fact remains that although my brother can beat me (in a good situation for him) when I have any other character, I absolutely destroy him as Yoshi.

I love playing as Yoshi regardless of what tier he sits at, and that's the main response you'll get.

I also like that he got a buff in Brawl. :)

S2

Smash Lord
Ness isn't that bad. He's actually pretty decent...

but his recovery is so very limited and he can get in some pretty bad matchups with high tiers.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
Whut r u talking about? Ness is a pretty bad character. He hardly has no ground game? What tournaments were you going to... I want to mm those people plz.
What do you mean he has no ground game?

His running A and his Up Yoyo smash easily sets up heavier characters like Fox and Sheik for the Bat a low % and at high % the running A sets up for his aerial combos which is Ness' specialty, and his downward throw is great for combos, and I pull it off pretty frequently considering everyone and their mother spams their running A (Fox Sheik and Falco) so I just simply Block and grab.
He can juggle with his DJC Headbutts, His Aerial FAir sparks can be great for edgeguarding as well has his crouching a repeatedly at the edge to cancel their second jump forcing them to use their Up B recovery then that is the perfect time to use the bat. There are many other ways I play as Ness against different characters...

Just because you cannot use him right does not mean he is a bad character.

Levitas

the moon
Dude, trust us, he's bad. Come to the Ness boards, and watch videos of him, and see whether you're really as good as him as you think you are.

I really doubt it.

PS. nobody spams dash attacks. and if shield grabbing is your secret technique, then you're in for it around here. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Ness player, just realize that this game's a lot deeper than what you're giving it credit for.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
The videos hardly make a difference, I've seen many of the Ness gameplay vids on youtube, MOST of these players just suck and most of them do the stupidest things like for one: wave dashing away from an attack when his wave dash does not go very far when you could just simply roll without taking damage... and it's like most of them never heard of Side Step Dodging...

Don't compare me to bad Ness players...

Of course you accuse Ness of being horrible because some people cannot play him well...

Ademisk

Smash Champion
i play bowser because i like bowser.

that's all.

also i'd like to point this out, anyone who is trying to "prove tiers dont exist" or try to prove their character is better or whatever else will never, ever, become a great player.

if you don't accept your characters blatantly obvious limitations, not just accept, but embrace, you will NEVER be able to overcome them.

there was a LONG period of time where i wanted people to think bowser was good, or i wanted to prove that he was at least better than everyone thought by a lot.

back then, i was bad at melee, i was bad at the game, i didn't understand my character or other characters.

as soon as i found myself thinking "wow, bowser is really really bad" and accepted that, i found myself devising a whole new gameplan.

i know what my characters weaknesses are, and most players know many of bowser's weaknesses, turn that fact into a strength. most players expect bowser to be very very slow to attack, and not really have much pressure, no ability to tech chase, no ability to punish, and is very easily punished.

now, the plan wasn't to take away these disabilites, because he definitely has some of them, but the point was to use them to my advantage.

how can you break a bad habbit without somebody telling you about it, or realizing that it is indeed a bad habbit? you have to accept the bad habbit before you can break it. it's the same thing with this sort of a situation...

before you accept your limitations you can never overcome them.

I'm kinda close to that in what I want to do. Except, it's more a fanboy thing than thinking "Hey, Ness isn't that bad, he should be a lot higher on the tier list".

I WANT Ness to be thought of as a better character, so I play him and try to overcome his shortcomings. At this point, I guess it's more of a....I want to be good with Ness, just to prove to myself that I can, but when I started it was the other thing.

And Mac needs to stop acting like he's pro. Go post some vids on the Ness boards if you want us to believe you. From your advice, I doubt that would happen.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
The videos hardly make a difference, I've seen many of the Ness gameplay vids on youtube, MOST of these players just suck and most of them do the stupidest things like for one: wave dashing away from an attack when his wave dash does not go very far when you could just simply roll without taking damage... and it's like most of them never heard of Side Step Dodging...

Of course you accuse Ness of being horrible because some people cannot play him well...
why do so many ness players think ness is good. also, lol at ur sig

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
I'm kinda close to that in what I want to do. Except, it's more a fanboy thing than thinking "Hey, Ness isn't that bad, he should be a lot higher on the tier list".

I WANT Ness to be thought of as a better character, so I play him and try to overcome his shortcomings. At this point, I guess it's more of a....I want to be good with Ness, just to prove to myself that I can, but when I started it was the other thing.

And Mac needs to stop acting like he's pro. Go post some vids on the Ness boards if you want us to believe you. From your advice, I doubt that would happen.
You'll get your proof, not right away so don't get your panties in a bunch when it's not on Youtube like tomorrow...

There will be proof, don't you worry... :laugh:

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Ness players are always like this. Most players learn to accept their character is bad, but Ness players really hold a grudge over the whole 5th from the bottom thing. So yeah, kind of like picking at an old wound, really.

Also, I don't like Mac. He bothers me. Just putting it out there.

Fish on a Stick

Smash Cadet
At first I decided played pichu for fun, and the wtf factor. But after a while I got really used to him and he eventually became my top.

Mac_77

Smash Cadet
Ness players are always like this. Most players learn to accept their character is bad, but Ness players really hold a grudge over the whole 5th from the bottom thing. So yeah, kind of like picking at an old wound, really.

Also, I don't like Mac. He bothers me. Just putting it out there.
5th from the bottom means crap to me, how don't you get this?

Oooh, God forbid I don't say Ness sucks based on your opinions...

orintemple

Smash Lord
I like the fact that I was gravitated toward an already high tier character(Marth) so I didn't have to worry about all this crap.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I went with Zelda in the end.. from Samus to Falco to Marth to Zelda... Uh..

Whatever, I like Zelda.

-Onyx

Ademisk

Smash Champion
but ness IS a bad character.

when was the last..

WHEN DID A NESS PLAYER WIN A TOURNAMENT!?
I'm not saying he's not bad. I'm saying Ness players have been complaining about it for years now. You can't post this and not expect to get a flood of Ness spam.

Also, Mac, I wasn't talking to you. I just said I don't like you.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master

I'm sorry, but based on what you said on the boards, and in your sig, most people here will assume you suck unless you can prove to us that you don't suck. If you think you're good, why not money match someone who is good and tell us how it goes...

Top Bottom