• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

Vts

Smash Champion
i play low tier when i feel like it when i think my G&W counters my friend marth i'll pick him , win some lose some since i dont really truly main anyone i ok with everyone but mew2 and pichu, pikachu is a whole new story my friend says he isnt low tier he is middle i just laugh.

For tournaments i look at what your picking first and if i've heard of u before or if i've played u in friendlies

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Pink Reaper's name needs to change to Captain Obvious. Obviooouuus PUUNCH!
I prefer the Overly Apparent Knee, thank you very much :kirby:

And to rub in people's faces that tiers don't really exist and that Mewto can beat up Fox.
Beating your friends with a low tier character does not prove that tiers don't exist. In fact, the fact that it takes a tremendous amount of skill just to beat a Fox with Mewtwo only proves that they DO exist.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Because the tiers don't matter that much.

I'm not one of those "TIRES DON EXITS" people, but really, if you play well with a character, play as them. Find the character you're best with, regardless of tiers, and just play.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Don't let tiers mandate who you play as. I did once and suffered my first defeat because of it. And I already posted my answer to the topic. (Again I am a Kirby user).

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
I play Ness because after a couple of random character battles using him, I got good. Sniping with PK Thunder, smashing one trapped in PK Fire. Back kicking them to thier doom, etc. Plus, my friend hates him. :)

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
I play with about two people from every tier, with the ICs being my most used, but I donj't use them cause of the tier list, I think it's the player's brain and hand not the char

Sworddancer9034

Smash Apprentice
Link=My main. I play him because I played him before tiers were found, and I just liked him to much to change it to Fox or another higher tier character.
Y. Link=My third (I second Marth). Because he's like Link, which makes him cool. Plus he counters Peach.
Pichu=Because it's awsome when you beat higher tiers with him. I only play him in friendlies, though. I always try to get in one Pichu friendly while I'm at a tourament for no real reason.

Ness is top tier.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
yeah, sorry to break it to ya 56k, but G&W is countered by all three of them, as well as Marth, Peach, Captain Falcon, Samus, IC's, Doc, Jiggs and Ganon(and probably alot more i forgot >_>)
I highly doubt it...Then again I've been playing G&W since day one so I just adjusted to all the matchups, especially against high tiers. Maybe you're right. But I'll argue them anyway, lols.

Fox: How does he counter G&W? He can't waveshine G&W and he gets knocked too far away after the shine to even jab or Thunder's Combo him. G&W has ridiculous combos and edgeguards on Fox (as well as Falco, CF, Ganon, others). G&W is a lightweight, but only horizontally. Vertically, he's average, so there's no gaping weakness against usmash like Luigi or Puff. Fox isn't very powerful when it comes to horizontal attacks, so G&W doesn't have to worry as much there. However, if you don't switch up your recovery shinespikes aren't nice to G&W lol.

Falco: oh noes, lazers! oh noes, shine combos! Can't he do this to every character? Who cares! With G&W it's very possible to escape his shine combos, so you shouldn't be getting o-death'd. With WD you're faster than Falco, take advantage of that. Yeah this matchup is way harder than Fox though.

Marth: THIS MATCHUP IS HARD. I would consider Marth a G&W counter. Being the sick fool that I am, I like G&W vs Marth anyway.

Peach: see above.

Captain Falcon: Meh, just combo the crap out of him. Yes the knee ***** G&W, just DI and you won't die so early.

Samus: lol there's no huge advantage either way. Neither has great edgeguards on the other. Same goes for combos. G&W can use any of hit attacks to negate a missile though.

IC's: Because G&W's so light, it's nearly impossible to do the usual CGs on him. Otherwise, I lack experience in the matchup, since almost nobody in MN plays IC (thank God). G&W's attacks are disjointed like Marths, take advantage of that vs IC and try to get rid of Nana

Doc: This seems pretty neutral to me...Doc can't even dthrow G&W most of the time because he sticks to the ground.

Jiggs: not hard, You're going to be WDing around like a madman and doing a lot of fakeouts...once again take advantage of your disjointed moves and the fact that G&W's faster on the ground than Jiggs is in the air. Jiggs dies early in this matchup. Plase don't get fsmashed by Jigglypuff, even with DI you'll die at like 80% unless you're on dreamland lol

Ganon: Yes this is a hard matchup but I've figured out how to beat him.

I finally know how to beat good Ganons with G&W lol. I know because I've actually done it =P

The key to beating Ganondorf is to KEEP ****ING MOVING and avoid getting hit by fair at all costs. You're going to be DDing and WDing in and out of Ganon's range throughout the whole match. Try to bait him into using fair or any aerial really. Your fair is the money maker in this matchup, it's going to be your main combo starter and counter-attack. Once you land that fair, keep trying to hit him. Combo the crap out of him. If he lands or escapes the combo, run away. You're going to be doing a lot of hit-and-run. You can also bair him but you can't follow up and it's just an extra 10 or so damage to Ganon.

If you mess up once, you pretty much lose your stock. "Don't get hit" really is valid advice in this situation.

Once he's off the stage, it's a wrap. I suggest ftilts or fair but edgeguarding him isn't that hard, really.

EDIT: oh and light-shield when you can lol, but you shouldn't be trying to shield any of his moves, just get the hell out of his way.

EDIT EDIT: BTW G&W should not be trying to shield Ganon's moves at all , but trying to WD out of Ganon's range or something. Shielding should be a last option. If you're bold (or just cocky) and have good enough timing you can spot dodge, but it's not a good idea lol.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Fox: How does he counter G&W? He can't waveshine G&W and he gets knocked too far away after the shine to even jab or Thunder's Combo him. G&W has ridiculous combos and edgeguards on Fox (as well as Falco, CF, Ganon, others). G&W is a lightweight, but only horizontally. Vertically, he's average, so there's no gaping weakness against usmash like Luigi or Puff. Fox isn't very powerful when it comes to horizontal attacks, so G&W doesn't have to worry as much there. However, if you don't switch up your recovery shinespikes aren't nice to G&W lol.
Fox might not be the strongest when it comes to horizontal kills, but its not like he's weak. And you said it yourself, G&W is WAAAAAAAAY light when it comes to horizontal hitting attacks so Foxes Dsmash or Fsmash is still probably enough to kill. Also, G&W's recovery is mostly vertical so once again, he doesn't really need to be hit that hard to be killed. And then there's the shinespike, but then, nobody does well against the shine spike >.<

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I actually Pwn with Jigglypuf :p
lol, Jigglypuff is now middle tier not low or bottom.

But I guess when my Kirby can't win a battle, bring out the Mario. I belive that middle tiers are the best of them all, not too many people pick them, and they don't have many flaws.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
56K said:
What I like about G&W is that I've never played a good player and therefore believe he is not countered by Fox, Falco, and/or Sheik like most characters are. ^_^
fixe' d
You know, I have mad respect for you and your posts, but at this point you're just acting like a damn idiot. I don't know why you keep insulting my skill as a player and assuming "I don't play good people" just because I am comfident in my matchups with G&W vs higher tiers. This is at least the third time I've seen you post something like this directed at me. I've worked pretty damn hard to learn how to not get ***** by Sheik, spacies, Ganon and other characters that people think G&W can't beat, and for you to come in here and act like you know anything about me or the people I play against is just ridiculous.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Fox's shine is not his only move. Fox combos GW like a *****, and GW comboing Fox does not make him an anti-counter.

Falco: oh noes, lazers! oh noes, shine combos! Can't he do this to every character? Who cares! With G&W it's very possible to escape his shine combos, so you shouldn't be getting o-death'd. With WD you're faster than Falco, take advantage of that. Yeah this matchup is way harder than Fox though.
Yes, he can do that to every character. And you know what? He also ***** basically every character. Very possible does not mean very easy. It's very possible for me to ledge tech getting dair'ed by Faco, but that doesn't make it any easier. A faster wavedash doesn't mean you have any advantage because it's so easy for Falco to evade anything you try out of wavedash. Particularly by jumping and dairing you while your dtilt is still going. GW's killer moves are easy to see coming and act appropriately with Falco's speed. Falco ***** GW. There is no denying it.

Captain Falcon: Meh, just combo the crap out of him. Yes the knee ***** G&W, just DI and you won't die so early.
You won't die as easily? You'll still die easily. You can use the "just DI and you'll probably live longer!" to say that any character can't be countered, but it's largely fallible. Everything about Falcon ***** GW.

IC's: Because G&W's so light, it's nearly impossible to do the usual CGs on him. Otherwise, I lack experience in the matchup, since almost nobody in MN plays IC (thank God). G&W's attacks are disjointed like Marths, take advantage of that vs IC and try to get rid of Nana
ICs don't need chain grabs when they can continuously alternate freezing and grabbing you, and even the thing that Wobbles does with downtilt. GW is light horizontally, and the ICs happen to have monstrous dsmash and fsmash horizontal kills.

Jiggs: not hard, You're going to be WDing around like a madman and doing a lot of fakeouts...once again take advantage of your disjointed moves and the fact that G&W's faster on the ground than Jiggs is in the air. Jiggs dies early in this matchup. Plase don't get fsmashed by Jigglypuff, even with DI you'll die at like 80% unless you're on dreamland lol
Jigglypuff can kill GW at 80% and you don't think she's a GW slayer?

Ganon: Yes this is a hard matchup but I've figured out how to beat him.

I finally know how to beat good Ganons with G&W lol. I know because I've actually done it =P

The key to beating Ganondorf is to KEEP ****ING MOVING and avoid getting hit by fair at all costs. You're going to be DDing and WDing in and out of Ganon's range throughout the whole match. Try to bait him into using fair or any aerial really. Your fair is the money maker in this matchup, it's going to be your main combo starter and counter-attack. Once you land that fair, keep trying to hit him. Combo the crap out of him. If he lands or escapes the combo, run away. You're going to be doing a lot of hit-and-run. You can also bair him but you can't follow up and it's just an extra 10 or so damage to Ganon.

If you mess up once, you pretty much lose your stock. "Don't get hit" really is valid advice in this situation.

Once he's off the stage, it's a wrap. I suggest ftilts or fair but edgeguarding him isn't that hard, really.

EDIT: oh and light-shield when you can lol, but you shouldn't be trying to shield any of his moves, just get the hell out of his way.

EDIT EDIT: BTW G&W should not be trying to shield Ganon's moves at all , but trying to WD out of Ganon's range or something. Shielding should be a last option. If you're bold (or just cocky) and have good enough timing you can spot dodge, but it's not a good idea lol.
That is a HUGE explanation of how to beat Ganon for him not being a counter. Wouldn't you agree?

Falco ***** the **** out of Falcon. But Falcon can beat Falco, if you are good enough and can manage to evade everything that Falco does to **** Falcon up enough. Does that change it so that Falco is not a counter anymore? No. GW is countered by a large portion of the cast. It's OKAY. Accept it. I play Mewtwo. He gets ****ed by EVERYONE. In the ***. No condom. ****'s real.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
Maybe. I wouldn't know for sure because I absolutely cannot stand that matchup. So ****ing boring.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lol, even G&W players know that Fox is not a G&W counter.

Also, counter =/= has an advantage against. A counter is a HUGE, ENORMOUS advantage against a certain character, such as Peach vs Ice Climbers, or IC vs Pichu. Or...Sheik vs Bowser. lol

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Types of Low-Tier players

1) OMG I'm gonna sit here and feel sorry for myself because I play a bad character! I'm gonna tell everyone that my character is the worst character in the game and that there's no point in playing him!

2) Eww, my character is low tier? **** this I'm picking a high tier.

3) I'm in denial that my character is terrible! So instead, I'm going to act like my character is the best character in the game! What? My character is bad? LALALALALA I can't hear you!

4) I'm gonna choose a better character, not because of their place in the tier list, but because I'd like to actually have a better chance at winning lol.

5) I've played my character for so long, that I've learned how to play well against my bad matchups and characters who counter mine.

5.6k), and I've somewhat lost touch with reality and refuse to accept that those characters have an advantage vs me. In fact, I play the matchup so well that I believe my character counters them! Shut up, I don't care what you say. My character counters Falco.

6) I play low-tier because it takes no skill to play high-tiers. Anyone can spam shine (Fox), spam lasers (Falco), spam fsmash (Marth), spam dsmash (Peach), or CG everyone (Sheik), but it takes real skill to play a low tier!

7) I play low-tier so people can glorify me for being a low-tier player, so I can john that I was a low-tier if I lose, and so I can brag that I won with a low-tier if I win! Most players hate me for some reason. They're just jealous.

8) Jeez shut up about tiers this is just my favorite character. I didn't even know about the tier list when I chose my character lol.

9) Uhh... http://youtube.com/watch?v=ltqgP-Xgceg

I made this really fast and there are probably more, but whatever lol. Also some are in a very sarcastic tone, but whatever too lol. Some players fit in multiple categories.

Hmm guess which one I am? ;)

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
@56K: That second one made me lol, becasue that has happen even though it sounds crazy. Most people are going to say five or four mostly.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
What I like about G&W is that I've never played a good player and therefore believe he is not countered by Fox, Falco, and/or Sheik like most characters are. ^_^
fixe' d
lol kevinM, have you not seen 56k's mad gw skills? he's pretty beastly, I must say.
here's a pretty funny video of him. he doesn't **** much, but it's pretty funny :laugh:

56k, don't get offended by kevinm, so many noobs have been coming in pretending to be pro so he can't tell who's actually good or not =P

and back on topic...
overall, higher tiers > lower tiers (excluding counters)
but that doesn't mean that every single player plays best with a higher tier; some just tend to play better with certain chars and playing styles.

and anyone who doesn't believe in the tiers, you're wrong. they do exist. want proof?

~a pair of eyeballs. you might need these

now once you have those, you go here
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=81928
^--if you click on the link, you see a page, with a list. It's called a tier list. And it exists.
*checks with eyeballs again to see if it has disappeared*
nope, it's still there. you go try it. it still exists. Looks like it might stay there for a while too...
QED

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
i'm 1, 7, and 8. 1: in the sense that i tell everybody pikachu is a crap character with the worst dash attack imaginable. 7 in the sense that i like the sense of shame a higher tier main(particularly marth) may feel when they lose to a pikachu. 8 because that's why i play him. what can i say? i love pokemon. and pikachu's cuter than fox ^^;. another thing is just that i feel more organic while i'm playing pikachu. i love playing as marth, fox, and falco... but it doesn't feel as satisfying as pikachu for some reason XD

Kips

Smash Ace
I'm practicing my G&W but I haven't fallen into denial yet. YET. I'm close, just not there yet. Still working out the details- I do believe G&W can outrange Marth and his swordsmanship at times though.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
>.> Call me a 4.
I played Mewtwo for so long...
I was dominating 3v1s at my school today, against those same Waveshine/Laser/CG/FSmash spammers.
Good fun.
-DD

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
when im not maining Kirby (ftw!), im playing... well, im really the best with Kirby so i dont really play anyone else, Mario sumtimes i guess. Cant stand the speed of fox, falco, or cpt. falcon, which is why i dont play them. Not enough control over the character. Samus, i just cant play well as, and Sheik, i also suck as... Kirbs is just what fits my playstyle. Plus, Brawl Kirby looks AWESOME!

Lovely

Smash Lord
Um, only Low tier character I master is Luigi, and he should be middle tier. All of my mains are middle tier, (Samus is my best if you didn't notice), becasue it's too hard to master most low or bottom tier and some what top tier characters. Low and bottom; they just have too many disadvatages. Sorry guys, I've tried to master them before but failed. :(

Kips

Smash Ace
It's really not a big deal what character you pick- They all require dedication and different playstyles. G&W needs to be nimble and quick to strike and retreat while a Samus could sit back all day and spam projectiles. There's no such thing as failing to learn a character; there is a such as not having the right mindset to play them.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Yes tiers obviously exist, as the official tier list thread shows, but it's not like...LAW or anything. Know what I mean? It's just a list. It's not the end-all-be-all that some people make it out to be.

psychic turnip

Smash Apprentice
i play zelda for a few resons 1) i like to play a character that is not a normal character to play. 2) also because i find her interesting and i like to find new stratigies to use with her. 3) also she is fun to play with (to me ) and is the only iam good with now.4) and also i like the feeling when your oppent underestmates your character and you end up winning.

those are my reasons for playing with her
(also if your woundering i neve use shiek)

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
You know, I have mad respect for you and your posts, but at this point you're just acting like a damn idiot. I don't know why you keep insulting my skill as a player and assuming "I don't play good people" just because I am comfident in my matchups with G&W vs higher tiers. This is at least the third time I've seen you post something like this directed at me. I've worked pretty damn hard to learn how to not get ***** by Sheik, spacies, Ganon and other characters that people think G&W can't beat, and for you to come in here and act like you know anything about me or the people I play against is just ridiculous.
Dude chill i'm just being sarcastic... but Fox is a pretty ****ed match-up for GaW... cause again GaW dies off the top around 80 percent and higher and fox loves them JC U-smashes.. and on GaW it's just brutal... playing a good fox with GaW is a rough match-up all around.

S2

Smash Lord
Dude chill i'm just being sarcastic... but Fox is a pretty ****ed match-up for GaW... cause again GaW dies off the top around 80 percent and higher and fox loves them JC U-smashes.. and on GaW it's just brutal... playing a good fox with GaW is a rough match-up all around.

Your forgetting that G&W can just sit back and shield Fox's attacks...

no wait...

Top Bottom