• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I know tiers exist, do I care? not one bit. :)

I'm just one of those players who took the time to become pretty skilled with a fair share of high tiers, mid tiers, and low tiers so that I may counterpick for any situation. I guess you could say that I main counterpicks in general.

...or I just play as such-and-such depending on how I feel that day.

Aesir

Smash Master
For those of you who said I don't care about tiers!

You will when your character gets ***** to no extent, and some semi good player just demoralizes you.

You'll either quit, Use Fox or Marth, Or suck it up and think of strategies to win.

I used link for the first 6 months I played this game, then I realized I like to win and switched to marth.

I still use link to this day, because he's fun, and isn't as bad as I thought he was, but he is still pretty bad. LOL

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
Aesir's post is made of so much win, its ****ing ridiculous. Surprise factor sure is a ***** though, I mean, look at Taj's M2 and what NEO's Roy used to do. Haha I wont mention pkm and Ka-Master cuz I dont think they're low tier. Unless this topic is "Why do you use characters that don't win tournaments"

hagendaasmaser

Smash Rookie
Tiers mean nothing

One should not consider a characters tier as a main factor in their choosing of a character.
Tiers mean nothing, and will always be so; the tier does not describe how good the character is, unfotunately the actual skill of the player is what will determine how good said player actually is. Each character has his/her own strenghts and weaknesses, however, the utilization of them should be the deciding factor in character picking. Just because somebody tells you this or that character is good, doesn't necessarily mean that you will be good at it.

"the tier does not describe how good the character is" ~ this was meant to mean how good somebody is at a certain character; you can be good at a lower tier character, and not up to par with a higher tier (due to playstyles, experience on a certain character etc. etc.)

Sorry if this post angered people, didn't think we'd get so controversial and snappy on a game forum ;), thanks for the warm welcome tho :) lookin' forward to some more!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I play more low tiers than high tiers. Got a problem with that?

I'm more comfortable playing more lower tier characters than higher tier characters. I just perform overall better and have more fun with more lower tier characters. I use Mario (my true main actually), G&W, Link, and Luigi much since I can actually handle them for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, there is one exception to what I've been saying. I'm picking up Marth and getting amazing results from him (like actually winning against my friend who is otherwise much too good for me. XD). However I really don't play as well with most other higher tiers. Seriously.

Oh yeah, and IMO low tiers are generally more interesting to watch in action. Just my honest opinion.

Aesir

Smash Master
One should not consider a characters tier as a main factor in their choosing of a character.
Tiers mean nothing, and will always be so; the tier does not describe how good the character is, unfotunately the actual skill of the player is what will determine how good said player actually is. Each character has his/her own strenghts and weaknesses, however, the utilization of them should be the deciding factor in character picking. Just because somebody tells you this or that character is good, doesn't necessarily mean that you will be good at it.
Don't be dumb :D

Tiers do show how good a character is, otherwise there wouldn't be a use for them.

Link has more disadvantages then marth does. which makes marth the better character.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
K, ummmmm, when you make your VERY FIRST post on smashboards, its usually a good idea to NOT try to argue a generally accepted thing like the tier list or tournament rules or who's good and who isn't. The tier list DOES in fact describe how good a character is. Bowser, Kirby, Pichu, Mew2, they will NEVER be good characters. EVER. Does that stop people from playing them? No. Do people who play them tend to trick themselves into thinking their character is good? Yes. Do people who have actually mastered these characters accept and often point out that their character is in fact horrible? Yes(Except for Simna, he's in denial)

Also, welcome to smashboards.

I play more low tiers than high tiers. Got a problem with that?

I'm more comfortable playing more lower tier characters than higher tier characters. I just perform overall better and have more fun with more lower tier characters. I use Mario (my true main actually), G&W, Link, and Luigi much since I can actually handle them for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, there is one exception to what I've been saying. I'm picking up Marth and getting amazing results from him (like actually winning against my friend who is otherwise much too good for me. XD). However I really don't play as well with most other higher tiers. Seriously.

Oh yeah, and IMO low tiers are generally more interesting to watch in action. Just my honest opinion.
Well, this is because it is generally harder to get good with high tier characters. While no one is going to pretend its easy to use Low tier characters, they generally have easier play styles. I mean, its easy to learn UpB out of shield with Boozer, its hard to learn perfect waveshines and SHDL with Fox.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Link has more disadvantages then marth does. which makes marth the better character.
It's not how MANY disadvantages a character has. It is WHAT disadvantages a character has.

Marth has many disadvantages, although they aren't noticed all the time. His recovery is rather poor, and he's relatively lightweight getting making him one of the easier characters to kill off the top. He has no projectiles whatsoever, so working around projectile spamming is a big deal for him. His combos don't work well at high percentages either. Wow, that's a lot of disadvantages actually. What disadvantage doesn't he have? Well he doesn't suffer from range when it comes to close-range combat (oxymoronic I know). He's quite fast, the big disadvantage he doesn't have. He has plenty of good-knockback kill moves, so he's not having huge amounts of trouble getting KOs.

Link's disadvantages? Really the only one he has is that he's got a lot of startup and ending lag and moves slowly. He's really solid in every other area quite seriously. And of course, the fact that Link is slow is exactly what prevents him from fighting as well as Marth and is what gets him comboed and killed.

Aesir

Smash Master
It's not how MANY disadvantages a character has. It is WHAT disadvantages a character has.
Actually yes, if theres more disadvantages to abuse that character is not going to be doing very well.

Marth has many disadvantages, although they aren't noticed all the time. His recovery is rather poor, and he's relatively lightweight getting making him one of the easier characters to kill off the top. He has no projectiles whatsoever, so working around projectile spamming is a big deal for him. His combos don't work well at high percentages either. Wow, that's a lot of disadvantages actually. What disadvantage doesn't he have? Well he doesn't suffer from range when it comes to close-range combat (oxymoronic I know). He's quite fast, the big disadvantage he doesn't have. He has plenty of good-knockback kill moves, so he's not having huge amounts of trouble getting KOs.
He doesn't die off the top easy, unless it's pokemon stadium against fox.

His recovery isn't poor in fact it's rather good it's only poor when he's sent horizontal but most kill moves don't send someone horizontal they send you at a 90degree angel.

no projectiles isn't even a disadvantage his range more then covers himself characters with projectiles are a minor inconvience.

If marth lets anyone live past the combo point he didn't do a very good job.

He has few disadvantages

Yes he's quick, has range when spaced properly it's almost impossible to get inside of him,, great grab game, lets not forget he's probably the best edge guarder in the game. >_>

Sorry but his advantages definitly out weigh his disadvantages.

Link's disadvantages? Really the only one he has is that he's got a lot of startup and ending lag and moves slowly. He's really solid in every other area quite seriously. And of course, the fact that Link is slow is exactly what prevents him from fighting as well as Marth and is what gets him comboed and killed.
Lol wut?

Disadvantages of link.
- He's slow.

- Laggy moves, atleast ganon has power with his moves and his moves end at a decent time, but link? not so much.

- Projectiles are easy to swat away or deal with.

- Weight he's probably the easiest character to combo, once you start it's hard to stop.

- This also has to be said, his grab is very easy to punish. >_>

advantages:

- Good Grab range, to bad his grab game isn't that good. (char specific)

- Disjointed hit box.

- good at edge guarding.

- has a high priority nair.

- Can CC hits pretty well.

Link isn't well rounded. >_> Those disavantages may not be much but it adds up. the being combo'd by almost every character in the game hurts a lot. >_>

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Projectiles being easy to swat away isn't even a real disadvantage. The fact he has projectiles limits an opponent's movement regardless if they are getting hit by projectiles or swatting them away. But that's besides the point. The only thing that's really getting Link killed is the fact he's slow and laggy (hookshot being punishable is a form of being laggy), and my point is that there are advantages that are significantly more important to have in this game. You can be good at everything else, but if you're slow and laggy like Link, you won't get far.

Link's weight by far is more of an advantage than disadvantage, as it keeps him from dying off the top and from the sides, which also supplements his strong recovery. The reason he gets comboed is mainly because he has almost no follow up options to get out of comboing because he's so freaking slow. Marth who is fast can escape a lot of comboing with an F-air, while it is extremely hard for Link to mimic that sort of advantage if he does not have a Bomb.

And Marth's recovery is bad. His Up-B is one of the easier ones to ledgehog. It has very bad ending lag if he chooses to shoot past the ledge. And then there is light shielding. His recovery isn't the worst, but it is bad in the grand scheme of things.

Link's disadvantages are all a form of being very slow and laggy, which is strictly only one or two things to rag on. My point is Link happens to be bad in a very critical area, while Marth is bad in more situational or workable areas.

Btw, being slow and laggy is not the only possible critical flaw, but I'm not going to go much further into detail right now.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
For those of you who said I don't care about tiers!

You will when your character gets ***** to no extent, and some semi good player just demoralizes you.

You'll either quit, Use Fox or Marth, Or suck it up and think of strategies to win.
I still use my low tiers.. :p

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Ay, its not like some random scrub who uses Marth is gonna beat Emmy's Zelda. If you want to beat her Zelda you have to be at least proficient as Marth :laugh: But in all seriousness, obviously if you have enough skill with low tiers you can beat top tiers, but the thing is, there's only so good you can get with any character. The fact of the matter is, even if you have the best Zelda or Ness or Mewtwo you'll never be as good as the best Fox or Falco or Marth.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Top tier characters is God, you can never beat them with low or bottom characters, EVER!!! [blind sarcasm]

We all know every character has weak points, use it to beat them, (of course people know that). When all else fails, just make them come to you instead of chasing them, (don't say time limit, becasue I know and they know about that logic), when that fails, jump off of the stage and give up.

spindash

Smash Ace
I play as any character. This goes for me being competitive as well. My main is Link, despite being in lower tiers and playing competitively, I aspire to fight to my full potential.

A tier list determines which characters have a better probability rate of winning at an equal level of the top of the game, yes, but sometimes...? It can sadden me. It's smart for some pros to pick a character whose high on the list if they want a shot at winning, sure. But in my personal opinion, it's getting somewhat repetitive.

"Who won the tournament?"

"Some Marth/Fox user..."

"Oh, figures."

I understand the priority that upper levelled characters take, but I'm taking my own path. I play with characters that I love and who are fun to use. Fox is a great character for me, but I love Link's playstyle, regardless of his ranking on the tier list. And even into the days of Super Smash Bros. Brawl coming out soon, if I continue to play Melee, I won't ever stop maining as Link.

I can beat Fox and Falco users, anyone can, regardless of the rankings on the tier list. It's up to chance in the end if you see a large margin.

Tier Lists exist. I will forever acknowledge that with a smile. But I'm doing everything in my power to not allow the list to dictate my selection of characters.

So...

Why do I play low tier? Because no one is stopping me.

Aesir

Smash Master
Projectiles being easy to swat away isn't even a real disadvantage. The fact he has projectiles limits an opponent's movement regardless if they are getting hit by projectiles or swatting them away. But that's besides the point. The only thing that's really getting Link killed is the fact he's slow and laggy (hookshot being punishable is a form of being laggy), and my point is that there are advantages that are significantly more important to have in this game. You can be good at everything else, but if you're slow and laggy like Link, you won't get far.
Your point of view limited then, because if a projectile is being swatted away or hell even avoided it isn't doing its job. Links projectiles just aren't s good as say samus's or falcos.

Everything about Link is mediocre nothing spectacular at all.

Link's weight by far is more of an advantage than disadvantage, as it keeps him from dying off the top and from the sides, which also supplements his strong recovery. The reason he gets comboed is mainly because he has almost no follow up options to get out of comboing because he's so freaking slow. Marth who is fast can escape a lot of comboing with an F-air, while it is extremely hard for Link to mimic that sort of advantage if he does not have a Bomb.
No he gets combo'd because of his weight, his weight is perfect for any character to combo him.

the weight is a definite disadvantage since he can't escape as well as other characters it won't take long to gather that extra damage for the kill move.

His recovery is only good if he's near the stage, if he's at a considerable distance it can be difficult for link to get back.

And Marth's recovery is bad. His Up-B is one of the easier ones to ledgehog. It has very bad ending lag if he chooses to shoot past the ledge. And then there is light shielding. His recovery isn't the worst, but it is bad in the grand scheme of things.
His recovery is far from bad, you're not looking at this from a realistic stand point. Marth drops down low enough and appears to be going for the sweet spot. fox light sheilds marth DJ's and up b's landing on the stage the only options fox really has to come up with an aerial in which case you'll just DI again and come back.

It's not the best, but it gets the job done.

Link's disadvantages are all a form of being very slow and laggy, which is strictly only one or two things to rag on. My point is Link happens to be bad in a very critical area, while Marth is bad in more situational or workable areas.
Uhm no you seem to think links weight is good, it is not. Fight a Captain Falcon that knows his stuff you won't move... at all. Link is so mediocre it's disgusting the only the he really has going for him is edge guarding but in order to edge guard you have to get them off the stage.

Btw, being slow and laggy is not the only possible critical flaw, but I'm not going to go much further into detail right now.
Yeah his ******** weight which allows him to get combo'd to death, mediocre projectiles he really has no sure fire way to kill someone unless it's through edge guarding or tricking someone into a kill move *which is like 2? which are very laggy.*

Yeah these are all things that aren't important. >_>

Face it link is mediocre.

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
I play as Mewtwo and Kirby because everyone plays as Sheik and Fox and it feels like if they are the only characters in the game, I also hate to have 2 of the same characters in a match, Dunno Why.

Anyway not many people know how to fight against Mewtwo over here so that's to my advantage, I just stand there and never chase them, If they don't come I'll just throw Shadow Balls at them to annoy them since they dodge all of them but still after a while they come at me.

It is difficult to win, Not impossible However.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Aesir, I think you need to take a better look at Link as a whole character instead of just pinpointing traits of his that are mediocre.

IMO, one of the strongest points about Link is that he can control the stage very well. Even though his projectiles aren't unstoppable like Falco's laser, he can still do significant damage with close range boomerang hits, or bomb combo setups. Though he's not as mobile as Young Link, he can still do a lot of combo damage overall. He hits hard enough if you can set it up properly, and it isn't too hard if you've got control of the stage. His grab is long, and his throws are good.

Link is a mid-tier character, but I'd rather not disregard him as a mediocre character choice, because he is very interesting to learn, ESPECIALLY if you watch Aniki videos. Watch him take control over Fox and Falcon players and you'll see why Link can still use his LACK of speed to his advantage. By slowing the overall momentum of the match down, he can punish even the slightest mistakes that Fox makes and turn it into a strangely effective combo. It's also low-lag, wide-range moves like nair and utilt that make his anti-pressure game very powerful.

Link is all about sickass mindgames, so don't underestimate him if you ever run into a good one.

Also, about Marth's recovery: Yes, it is a pretty good recovery... but the reason it's so easy to edgeguard in today's metagame is because he is predictable. There are only a certain amount of heights and distances he can up-B from, and there are ways for every character to edge guard it, whether it's all out smashing him, or tapping him with a projectile and messing up his sweetspot, or just edgehogging, or light shield edgehogging... or whatever. There are countless ways to edgeguard Marth, and it has become easy.

It is like this for many overused characters. Sheik's recovery is amazing... but have you noticed how simple it is to edgeguard her these days? All you do is edgehog, wait for the teleport, press up and then hit/grab her when she's back on the ground. SIMPLE!

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
It surprised me that Link was that low because link and samus are both my mains and i do end up beating people who decide to choose sheik or fox, A small percentage of the outcome depends on the players skill and not just the tier of the character but the list i saw is pretty accurate but i wouldnt be that stupid to use a low tier in a tornament. That just suicide

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
In this thread the general trend is that people who have not been to a tournament, base their knowledge off of their friends leading to extremely flawed logic.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
My friend mains Mew2 and he still doesn't know about the tier list. He is good too. I never knew about the tier list until I came here, and I still use Yoshi and Bowser like I did before. I kind of use G&W sometimes too.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
My friend mains Mew2 and he still doesn't know about the tier list. He is good too. I never knew about the tier list until I came here, and I still use Yoshi and Bowser like I did before. I kind of use G&W sometimes too.
Same with me aswell i never knew about any list and i just played with any character and still pwned some guys, but now that i think of it the list is pretty accurate.

Cheezball

Smash Ace
I really don't think the list is too accurate because most bottom tiers can be really good. The tier is basically who is easier to learn to play as.

Kips

Smash Ace
The point, Aesir, is that it makes Link very hard to approach. He barrages you with projectiles and then has disjointed hitboxes on his close range moves. Projectiles aren't just made to damage, they're meant to complicate the game and lower someones options to the point of absolute field control.

I'll give you one thing- Marths recovery IS far from bad. If you spam the first hit of his Dancing Blade you can recover much more distance then originally though possible. After this you use his Up+B to sweetspot the edge and Marth will be fine.

However, even though I do not main him, Link is far from mediocre! His advantages are balanced by his disadvantages and he simply is good. Not perfect, but good.

Skler

Smash Master
Are people saying Link doesn't suck? Oh man, that's silly. Link is ***** by the top 3 and Captain Falcon, has a disadvantage against the other 2 best and even has a disadvantage against a bunch of high tiers and a few low tiers.

Link is pretty easy to approach, just learn how to play against him. Lack of experience against Link does not make the character good. I love it when people say Link doesn't suck when they know little about playing him competitively.

Link can't control matches against good space animals or Falcons, 2 year old videos of a Japanese player who since then switched characters is not proof that Link is good.

Aesir has played against good Links, and even mained Link a while ago. He has a good idea of what he's talking about. The only thing I disagree with is that while Link's weight makes him easy to combo, with proper DI it is a ***** to keep those combos going. Although good Falcon's can still 0-death Link all day long I'd say Link's weight isn't too bad, especially when it saves him from being ***** by Marth who can't throw combo him easily due to his weight. Link's weight is a blessing and a curse.

Aesir

Smash Master
Are people saying Link doesn't suck? Oh man, that's silly. Link is ***** by the top 3 and Captain Falcon, has a disadvantage against the other 2 best and even has a disadvantage against a bunch of high tiers and a few low tiers.

Link is pretty easy to approach, just learn how to play against him. Lack of experience against Link does not make the character good. I love it when people say Link doesn't suck when they know little about playing him competitively.

Link can't control matches against good space animals or Falcons, 2 year old videos of a Japanese player who since then switched characters is not proof that Link is good.

Aesir has played against good Links, and even mained Link a while ago. He has a good idea of what he's talking about. The only thing I disagree with is that while Link's weight makes him easy to combo, with proper DI it is a ***** to keep those combos going. Although good Falcon's can still 0-death Link all day long I'd say Link's weight isn't too bad, especially when it saves him from being ***** by Marth who can't throw combo him easily due to his weight. Link's weight is a blessing and a curse.
If you don't wanna listen to me then listen to skler. >_>

Link is pretty bad, and no his projectiles aren't that good, they can't control the stage, wtf are you people on? Once you know how to beat link, it's easy.

>_>

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
And wait, did I ever say Link was good?

Link is bad because he's slow. Heck anyone (except Jiggs) can be comboed fairly easily with the right techniques. Many higher tiers get comboed freaking easily; Link is worse than them because he's slow. He chose one of the worst places to be bad in even if he's strong, has projectiles, has disjointed hitboxes, and good recovery. Link is just very slow. That's why he's bad. My point I restate is that it is inaccurate to say that a character is bad merely by having several disadvantages. It is more important to consider WHAT those disadvantages are.

Rose

Smash Journeyman
I play Bowser because I suck with all other characters. If I had the skill to play Marth or Falco, I would gay it up top-tier style in a breath.

I'm not going to dedicate time to improving my skill with other characters because Brawl is coming out soon. If brawl sucks, I'll devote more time to melee and I'll drop Bowser.

I'm not particularly a fan of Bowser, nor do I think he's cute. I do not have low-tier pride. He's only fun to play against noobs, because good people DI and don't fall for stupid ****. I play Bowser because he is so easy and non-technical to play. I really don't even have to think while playing him- at any given moment he has at max like two or three options.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Tires Don Exits.

In terms of tiers, Pichu and Jiggs are mine to play with. I'm comfortable with their movesets and they way they move. If someone is comfortable with a character, then I believe they can own anyone with enough practice.

And IMO, Shiek is overrated now.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I play G&W because he's the most fun character for me to play with. I'm not going to let someone tell me that playing some boring over used high tier characters at a tournament is the thing to do.

Also he's unpredictable and gives me an advantage the first match.

PS: I'm getting really good with him.

PPS: I play at tournies in NOVA and MD, so I'm not just some noob who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Aesir

Smash Master
And wait, did I ever say Link was good?

Link is bad because he's slow. Heck anyone (except Jiggs) can be comboed fairly easily with the right techniques. Many higher tiers get comboed freaking easily; Link is worse than them because he's slow. He chose one of the worst places to be bad in even if he's strong, has projectiles, has disjointed hitboxes, and good recovery. Link is just very slow. That's why he's bad. My point I restate is that it is inaccurate to say that a character is bad merely by having several disadvantages. It is more important to consider WHAT those disadvantages are.
No it really isn't that important.

Because being slow and laggy is something that can be over come when you apply their advantages.

Sadly link can't do that his cons out weight his pros making him a bad character. It's more then just being slow and laggy.

Theres nothing spectacular about link everything about him is mediocre, the thing with link is no matter what he does theres always someone out there who can do it better.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
In this thread the general trend is that people who have not been to a tournament, base their knowledge off of their friends leading to extremely flawed logic.
sadly, that could be applied to many many threads on this forum, if not all...

Lord0fCookies

Smash Rookie
why do i play low tier.....

I used to play falco. After a while though it got old always winning against my friends and I didn't really like how he played anyways.
I switched to yoshi after I randomly played him one time because i really liked how he handled.

I guess the main reason I play low tier is because I like yoshi,I like more of a challenge to win, and I have more fun when I play yoshi. Simple as that.

Yo Mang

Smash Rookie
I second main Ness for a variety of reasons (my first main is Peach because I'm a boring high-tier hypocrite). Firstly, Ness is like my favorite video game character ever and I've loved him ever since SSB64 inspired me to play Earthbound. He just exudes awesome.

There's also a little bit of rebellion in it. I think the tier list is groovy and all, but there's still a bit of my thirteen year old self left in me whispering tires don exits in my metaphorical ear whenever a character select screen presents itself. It doesn't really matter because I'm not any good at Smash anyway so I'll lose regardless of who I pick, but staring down hoards of Marths and Fox's with nary a baseball bat and annoying f-air spam makes me feel awesome, like a plucky, mythical hero standing against the oppression of the system (stick it to the MAN). Of course I get my [buttocks] handed to me but still. It's in the feeling. Maaaaaan.

Top Bottom