• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play low tier?

AAP

Smash Journeyman

there is a reason you see fox win 100x more tourneys than pichu.

yea cause there are probly 100x more foxes entering than there are pichu's, well not entirely. But i'm curious of the numbers involved in the tourney's like how many characters get used. Pichu will never go up in the tier list if no one ever uses him...

and even if someone did use pichu they'd be up against an ocean of spacies , marths and sheiks.

sure smash tourney's aren't random odds...but if no one is playing a certain character that character is going nowhere but down the tier list. the gap between low and high just gets further and further apart

Say if everyone went on a big Link trend and there were 100's of players maining him at tourneys surely he'd move up the tier list or any other character for that matter.

The fact that tourney's are saturated with high tiers means they will always be high tiers...so what better reason to be a low tier

Egret

Smash Journeyman
More people playing with mediocre characters would mean more people losing with those characters which would in fact not cause them to move up, right?

AAP

Smash Journeyman
More people playing with mediocre characters would mean more people losing with those characters which would in fact not cause them to move up, right?
who's to say its guaranteed these mediocre characters are gunna lose. I know whats not moving them up....thats people not playing them. I'm not saying that all characters are equal, but tiers will NEVER change if only high tiers are played at tourneys

Kips

Smash Ace
The reason why High Tiers never change is because they are usable at that kind of level with ease. Lower tier character mains generally get knocked out by the surge of High Tiers and eventually it either dilutes to an amazing low tier pro vs. a high tier pro or just plain high tier vs. high tier.

felix45

Smash Lord
@AAP - because people like me tried to use a character they thought was good. then, after repeatedly getting *****, we moved to the better characters because they are just plain better. there is a reason low tier is low tier. that reason is either shiek chain grabs the character to ungoldy percentage and fairs them when she can no longer chain grab. either that or they just dont have good attacks w/ good priority and are too light/easy to combo etc. and the list goes on.

really you are stupid if you think you can go far with any low tier characters aside from luigi, dk, link, or ness. I mean chances of you beating current top players like M2K are seriously almost none. you have to play top/high or you quite simply will never place well enough to get money.

its just that simple.

Kips

Smash Ace
On top of that many people are unwilling to commit to an inherently 'weaker' character and spend time mastering something that may not work. How would you feel if you practiced with say... Link for your whole career and get to play your dream match against Ken playing Marth. Once you get beaten, how will you feel? Most people don't want to risk this and thus will play higher tier characters just because it keeps the match even before it even starts.

AAP

Smash Journeyman
yea i can understand that and i'm not disputing that there are characters that are better than others, but the ones that do have potential like dk, luigi, link and probly some others, how often do they get played at tournaments. My argument is that the tier list is skewed simply because people change to a high tier.

What's the fun in playing someone that everybody else already plays?

When you see a Ness beat a Fox, you KNOW the Ness player was awesome.

When you see a Fox beat anyone save another Fox...meh, seen it a hundred times before.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
What's the fun in playing someone that everybody else already plays?

When you see a Ness beat a Fox, you KNOW the Ness player was awesome.

When you see a Fox beat anyone save another Fox...meh, seen it a hundred times before.
that's ********. that just means the fox doesn't know the matchup.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
So it's impossible for a Ness to beat a Fox that knows his stuff and has skill?

Come on, that's just just a dumb claim to make.
did i say it was impossible? i simply said i'm sure the fox doesn't know the matchup, which is why many low tier players eventually get ***** after a few tournaments, because people learn how to play against the other character.

here's a good example from last weekend:

Snap, a G&W main came down to socal, he had to play mango in tournament.

so the first match, Snap pretty much ***** Mango's falco.

Second match, it was pretty much even, but mango won.

But third match it was utter ****.

What happened there is that mango learned how to play against the other character, and the reason as to why Snap did so well early on is because Mango didn't know the matchup, but once he learned that G&W's shield is so ****ty, he won.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I'm by no means good, and I understand that higher tiers are more often played because better strategies have been developed for them, so they can win more at tournaments and stuff, but super smash brothers is a game. People like me play lower tiers because we have fun. I use Roy and Young Link because I simply like them better. I can't infinite combo or grab people, but it's fun surprising your friends with someone they don't expect to be any good.

Lukenessmonster

Smash Apprentice
to prove a point. a pichu could beat a marth or fox depending on their level. u know gimpy would own you if you played him. ka master is the ownage and he uses luigi. uair blind with mario by eggz and silv, anther is amazing with pikachu so yeah dont be hatin

otg

Smash Master
The best option would just be to extend Middle Tier two spots and put Luigi and DK there. And maybe add an Upper Tier so Middle Tier wouldn't be so big.
Based on that suggestion the Tier List would probably turn into this (with my own personal changes)

-Fox
-Sheik
-Marth

High
-Falco
-Peach
-Ice Climbers
-Falcon

Upper
-Samus
-Docter Mario
-Jigglypuff
-Luigi

Middle
-Mario
-Ganon
-DK
-Link?

Etc etc

Kips

Smash Ace
Well yeah, if you can't play a high tier well then you might as well go for a character that you can play easily. I find G&W, G-Dorf and Samus exceedingly more easy to play then Falco or Fox and I just like 'em more. Easy decision for me.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
um no its a smart claim to make. if you dont know a matchup you are at a major disadvantage. inexposure can get you.
True. I didn't know about Y. Link at Zeneith and because of that, I got eliminated in the third match of that round. He had little knowledge of my character, but he had better mindgames.

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
Well yeah, if you can't play a high tier well then you might as well go for a character that you can play easily. I find G&W, G-Dorf and Samus exceedingly more easy to play then Falco or Fox and I just like 'em more. Easy decision for me.
tech skill isn't everything. it just so happens that some of the higher tech characters are higher on the tier list. I completely support your descision on playing a character thats easier. I'm a fox main, but I always warm up with bowser. weird right?

Kips

Smash Ace
tech skill isn't everything. it just so happens that some of the higher tech characters are higher on the tier list. I completely support your descision on playing a character thats easier. I'm a fox main, but I always warm up with bowser. weird right?
Well no it's not so much the requirement of tech skill as I can't get used to the mindset of playing Fox. For me he falls too fast, his recovery isn't as awesome-azing as I want it to be and he's a bit weird. I main Game and Watch for his incredible vertical recovery, fun playset and awesome finishers.

On a side note- I warm up with Bowser too! Fun guy to play, isn't he?

Luigi player

Smash Master
what's the point, a fox or sheik is always going to take you out.

No. Somtimes, but not always...

I'm playing Luigi because I like his playing style and he's my favourite character in Melee..

Kips

Smash Ace
what's the point, a fox or sheik is always going to take you out.

No. Somtimes, but not always...

I'm playing Luigi because I like his playing style and he's my favourite character in Melee..
Well see the problem is if you and everyone else play at the absolute PERFECT level in a tournament... Your characters drawbacks and advantages won't match up absolutely with Sheik, Fox or Marth and you have to go through 4+ rounds with them. This makes for harrowing tourneys for low/middle-tier mains, which is why they're so awesome.

altir

Smash Apprentice
i actualy started maining luigi after disovering competitive play/ swf/ tiers. i would use him to practice wave dashing. his play style just seemed to fit with me.

jwkirby64

Smash Journeyman
fighting styles
yoyo glitch anyone? (I just learned to love Ness more yesterday :) or hate)
and tests my mindgames cuz the matchups tend to pressure more of fooling the opponent than constant pressure like my fox/falco.

shiet but sometimes that hit-run attitude gets into my fox.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

lol I'm the same way. I consider my Marth/Fox/Falco to be the "break glass in case of emergency" characters at tournies. I usually tend to warm up with Jigglypuff WoP and rest combos, or Ness before I would even touch any higher tier characters. :)

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Why a lower tier? Well, its just fun to mix it up when it tends to get bland with using constantly the higher tiers. Plus its funny to see people's reactions when they get beat by a Pichu lol

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
I found out that using kirby really throws people off. Alot of people dont have experience against low/bottom tier characters. It may almost be a good strategy to have a low tier character on the side as it may through your opponent off enough to get you a win.

Luthien

Smash Ace
I play low tier because it doesn't really matter where I live. Everyone sucks anyway. Seriously, I put an extra hour of effort and practice into my Zelda, and suddenly I was better than everyone. The tier list is void over here (you're lucky if you meet someone who has a vague idea of what the tier list is).

Outside of that, I play Zelda because her moveset is the one I am most comfortable with. My Sheik is worse than my Zelda. Hard to believe, but true.

Kips

Smash Ace
Strangely enough I can't beat people who play middle-low tiers a lot of the time. Maybe I'm just adjusted to playing against Marth, Sheik, Falco, and Fox but it seems like they really DO throw me off.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
The whole point of playing low tiers is as follows

-The element of surprise. When someone goes into a match playing lets say a bowser or luigi when they are let us say falco or peach they are thinking "Okay, a low tier character, i now have a higher chance of winning because my character is natrually better." but if that person is absolutely sick with luigi and has a good mindgame to go along with them they can/will win. They have the ability to SURPRISE their opponent because high tier characters are used to fighting other high tier characters... basically yeah..its the element of surprise.

Top Bottom