• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle

Smash Master
A serious question. Personally, I liked it at first because it was easy, but then I just got bored with it because it's so slow. So I play Melee. :)

But please don't make this a melee vs. brawl discussion. I simply want to know why you play.

peeup

Smash Lord
A) I like the bigger cast of characters, stage builder, and online play. Alot.
B) I never owned a gamecube, so I could only play melee so often. Because I have a wii, i can play brawl whenever I want, so its grown on me.
C) I don't want to spend my money on buying melee and a controller, when I like brawl just fine. Their equally fun games, and I don't want to waste money buying something that is just as fun as what I'm doing.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
I play because G&W is the bomb, throwing grenades with Snake is awesome, ROB is a cheap *******, Wario farts, and spiking with DK's Fair is life-affirming.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Because its fun.
It's Captain Obvious, here to save the day! For all of us that were too stupid to realize the obvious.

Duh, you play games because they're fun, that's the general idea of it...the question is why is it fun? What makes it fun for you?

2.) Samus is shinier.
If only she were as shiny tier-wise as she was in Melee...

I play Brawl on occasion because it's sort of fun to screw around with codes and stuff, and now I'll play it a little more since I can remove tripping. Ultimately, I play Melee more and enjoy that more, but...I suppose I like Brawl's graphics, Stage Builder (the little it can pull off), some of the stages, and some of the new characters. Mainly, I play Brawl to screw around, Melee if I want to have a real battle.

camzaman

Smash Journeyman
Because its fun. Because its more of Smash. Because I have a life now(wife, school, etc) and Brawl WiFi is enjoyable because I can compete using my smarts without spending 4 hours a day practicing ATs...(that was not a melee insult, I love melee too, but I don't lives with bros or roommates anymore...)

orochijes

Smash Journeyman
1.) More content than any Smash game.

...oh, I guess that covers everything I care about.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Because I like it.
And because Toon Links in this game.

Best101

Smash Ace
Me? Playing Brawl? :laugh::laugh::laugh::joyful:

I only play with my friends. You will never catch me playing Brawl on my own, I'm playing either Smash64 or Melee. Brawl took out everything that I liked to do and nerfed everything I liked about the Smash series. Why put up that when I have the two games that got me hooked to Super Smash Bros. in the first place.

Steelia

Smash Champion

Pretty much sums up mine, too.
More characters, more balance... makes it more enjoyable. The roster's fine... but it's just missing one particular that would've made this game much more epic... *coughcough*

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I like the way battles can become "puzzles" sometimes; it definitely requires a lot more thinking to get past brick walls in brawl (I still have a few I need to climb myself, but I'm sure they are surmountable).

I also really love the floatiness and how it morphs the spacing game. It really feels like I'm positioning on a 2d plane instead of a 1d line moreso than the other games.

I think brawl's stage list is simply awesome; I don't think a reasonable person could argue against it being the best in the series. Levels like Delfino Plaza, PictoChat, and the Halberd are just phenomenal in both maximizing fairness and diversity.

I also am very much so in love with brawl's version of Mr. Game & Watch. The way his moves work together to give him such a diverse game is just thoroughly satisfying to me. Seriously, he has four falling speeds! How cool is that?

I also, frankly, like defense. It's highly unsatisfying for me to lose to a "rush down" so I like it when the metagame is against those sort of strategies like it is in brawl.

To contrast with other fighting games, I like how brawl (and the smash series in general) has platforming elements and intuitive controls. I love platformers, and I will never understand why I should have to input quartercircles and dragon punches when tilts and smashes are just so much simpler. Smash bros is the only fighting series I can find in which you don't have to bother memorizing a movelist (all characters have symmetric inputs that follow a logical pattern) and in which no basic technique requires more than two inputs. It's just so much more natural than in other fighters; a million little things smash bros does differently than every other fighter are pretty much right up my alley (jumping, blocking, and grabbing have unique buttons for them, your motion is independent of the enemy's position, weak pokes are never fatal, no high/low mixups, harder to get cornered...).

There are many more reasons I like brawl, but those are the ones off the top of my head. Brawl is pretty much perfect in terms of what I want in a fighting game.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Most of my reasons have been mentioned already, but here ya go:

First and foremost, it's fun. That's the basic reason for playing any video game in my book, and Brawl is definitely one of the best in that area.

Second, variety of content. Compared to it's predecessors, Brawl just has so much more to choose from. In the previous two games, I could only find a couple of characters I liked playing as - Marth and Link in Melee, Captain Falcon and Link in 64 - and a couple of stages I really liked. In Brawl, I have three mains I love playing as (Lucas, Dedede, Falco), plenty of others I'm not as good with but still love playing, and like all but 9 of the 41 stages. Not to mention that I like replaying SSE every now and then, a hell of a lot more than I did replaying Melee's adventure mode, and Boss Battle mode is great as well. Plus, I'm an old Sonic fan, so Sonic vs Mario in Brawl is a dream come true for me.

Third, Wifi. Combined with services like SWF's Friend Finder, it's a fast, easy way to find a match with another human whenever I like. Much better than playing computers, which was the only alternative in Melee/64 if you didn't know someone who was willing to play any time. And I have no difficulty adjusting to the minor input lag most of the time, so that doesn't bother me either.

And of course, unlike old Melee tournament players, I never cared enough to bother learning to implement wavedashing/l-canceling into my playing in Melee, and consequently Brawl hardly seems slower than Melee to me at all. And in any event, speed has never been a big reason I liked the smash brothers series anyway, so even if it did, I'd not likely be bothered by it. So that reason for old Melee players to prefer Melee doesn't apply to me.

Zevox

Wavekirby

Smash Journeyman
I Play Brawl:

#1. Because I can successfully main Kirby.

#2. Awesome music soundtrack.

#3. Online (I know it sucks but come on people, this is what we've dreamed about!).

#4. More characters to choose from.

#5. It's easier to have your own playstyle and actually be good.

#6. Battlefield.

#7. For some reason or another this game reminds me more of good old Smash64, then Melee.

Edit: #8. Stage builder and being able to share replays and other things with my friends online.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Pretty much sums up mine, too.
More characters, more balance... makes it more enjoyable. The roster's fine... but it's just missing one particular that would've made this game much more epic... *coughcough*
I would like to emphasize on the balance; In melee EVERYONE used Fox, Marth or Shiek that's all I ever fought. In Brawl, I actually get to enjoy fighting good players who main a variety of characters. It's refreshing.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

This.
I still hold that the soundtrack is the only truly mastered part of the game. There are still bits and pieces missing, of course, but it's the one thing I haven't gotten sick of.

I only play with my friends. You will never catch me playing Brawl on my own, I'm playing either Smash64 or Melee. Brawl took out everything that I liked to do and nerfed everything I liked about the Smash series. Why put up that when I have the two games that got me hooked to Super Smash Bros. in the first place.
*Applauds*
Yeah, this too. Unless I'm using my Ocarina.

I think brawl's stage list is simply awesome; I don't think a reasonable person could argue against it being the best in the series. Levels like Delfino Plaza, PictoChat, and the Halberd are just phenomenal in both maximizing fairness and diversity.
Not to be a smartallic, but uh...I liked Melee's better. (I miss a lot of stages...Fourside, Fountain of Dreams, and that version of FD in particular) Brawl has some nice stages, but there are too many gimmicky stages, and those stages are too gimmicky. *COUGHSpearPillarCOUGH*

#3. Online (I know it sucks but come on people, this is what we've dreamed about!).
I dreamed about Brawl too, but just because I like the concept doesn't mean I'm a fan of the game. I dreamed about online, but I didn't imagine lag-ridden matches so laggy that 90% of matches on WiFi are taunt parties.

Because I can and its free
You mean minus the $50 you spent to get the game?

I would like to emphasize on the balance; In melee EVERYONE used Fox, Marth or Shiek that's all I ever fought. In Brawl, I actually get to enjoy fighting good players who main a variety of characters. It's refreshing.
By your logic, "everyone" uses Meta Knight and Snake in Brawl. They were top tier, but not everyone used them, believe it or not. And, believe it or not, Brawl isn't more balanced.

I hate it when noobs make uninformed information as reasons to like Brawl over Melee or hate Melee.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥ I just like it (a few of my reasons have already been said). In my opinion, Brawl seems more refreshing than Melee. But that's most likely due to the fact that Melee is an older game. ;)

Pose

Smash Apprentice

I Play Brawl:

#1. Because I can successfully main Kirby.

#2. Awesome music soundtrack.

#4. More characters to choose from.

#5. It's easier to have your own playstyle and actually be good.

#6. Battlefield.

#7. For some reason or another this game reminds me more of good old Smash64, then Melee.

Edit: #8. Stage builder and being able to share replays and other things with my friends online.
----------

I so agree.

Oracle

Smash Master
Also: No more "in melee they lied were ti3r wh0r3s!!!only fox, falco sheek and marth!!!!".
Brawl is much, much less balanced.
People are considering banning metaknight.
To my knowledge, not a lot of people wanted to ban shiek.

AxemCA

Smash Rookie
I like Wario's bite attack.

*waits for Firust to quote me in some way*

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Ahhh, that was a maple story joke. Just a joke.

Brawl probably cost me at least 100$ for tournament $ and the game itself
Oh yeah. I'm not good at picking up jokes, especially on the internet.

studly

Smash Ace
its easier for a large group of people to get together and play brawl..
more characters alot easier for the lucky people

but once the crowd is gone MELEE

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
AxemCA, yeah, I quoted like, 5 people. I've quoted more. I only quote people worth quoting/responding to.

Hint: That's why I didn't quote you.

mantlecore77

Smash Journeyman

Hey, good job, way to not come in here and do what he said not to do by cutting down Brawl!
Yeah, I love it when people try to ruin threads like this, yeah.
I'm such a ****, but I hate it when people do this crap here.

It's a video game. What a lame question.
Don't be hating dude.

My reasons...

#1.) All-around fun game to play, I never get tired of it unless I'm playing Subspace.

That should be it. I could go in depth but it would bore you all.

EDIT: Yay 400th post!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom