• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you like smash64 over melee and brawl?

Brawler17

Smash Cadet
when i said gameplay i meant in satisfaction. i know melee is faster paced and funner in multi. player but what i meant was that in satisfaction i like melee and brawl the same.
sorry for wording that wrong. :(

RandomThundah

Smash Rookie
I'm sorry but I gotta give it up to melee as my favorite smash. Not saying that smash 64 doesn't have things I don't like but Melee imo requires a buttload of tech skill compared to sb64.

For me, combos that are harder to pull off that requires teching up the wazoo as well as setups themselves get the gold.

That said, the evolution of the game was making sense until brawl.

Sb64 had z cancleing, fast falling, short hops, taunt cancelling and a few other techs.
Melee improved upon most of the aforementioned techs even though it most likely wasn't intentional. They also added air dodging, cstick di' cstick smashes, wave dashing, ledge canceling, and etc.

After several years of melee I thought it couldn't get better. And I was right! Wth Sakurai. Brawl is pretty much the opposite of the other 2. Everything that made the game great was removed. Even if you were a pro brawl player, any sb64 or melee vet would stomp the crap out of you. Look at M2K [ no insult intended m2k]. Even though he mains melee he pretty much proved how easy it is to win at brawl.

Brawl kills my inner child.

I love Sb64 and melee both. Sb64 for it's retro feel simplicity and it's competitive scene and melee for pretty much just redesigning sb64 with more chars and making simple **** complex lol.

In the end, all 3 games are a preference. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, at the end of the day you should play the game that makes you happy and satisfied and you shouldn't quit this smash for that smash just because you aren't Isai's lv lol. Practice makes perfect. Any real smasher would tell you the same.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
If I remember correctly, at some point M2K looked up to Ken in his early Smash career days. Look at where M2K is now, he *****! :laugh:

Battlecow

Play to Win
So? Why is that a bad thing?
I never said that melee's speed was a bad thing.

I have no problem with 64 being noob-friendly. If a beginner can pull of death combos, then good for him. I still think Melee combos are more rewarding because they're much much harder to do, due to DI, wall teching, and less hitstun (which means you have to move fast).
good points. I got no problem with that.

I can completely understand you liking 64 more than Melee. That's fine by me. But it's kind of silly for you to like Brawl more than Melee. Brawl has no combos. Brawl is all camping, all back and forth. There is no hit -> combo -> edgeguard. Instead, it's hit -> get hit -> hit -> get hit ..... -> hit with finisher for KO. Brawl isn't simpler. It's just gayer.
I think you're mixing up this argument with one you're having with someone else. Just to clarify, I did not say that brawl was better than melee. I like melee a lot better than brawl. brawl is teh lamezorz.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I have no problem with 64 being noob-friendly. If a beginner can pull of death combos, then good for him. I still think Melee combos are more rewarding because they're much much harder to do, due to DI, wall teching, and less hitstun (which means you have to move fast).
Are Brawl combos the most rewarding then?

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Combos, tech chasing, and airchasing don't even noticeably exist in Brawl. They're not hard to do. They're impossible to do. So how can they be rewarding if they don't exist?

D

Deleted member

I don't like Smash64 over Melee, but i like it more than Brawl. SSB64 is nice because of all the combos and ATs and stuff but Brawl doesn't have any of that. It gets boring. I just wish SSB64 was more popular…

MattNF

Smash Lord
Brawl had so much potential, but it was ruined because it was casual-ified and catered to people who have the intelligence equivalent to that of a grapefruit. I'd rather suck 10 bear cocks than play Brawl.

On second thought, sucking a bear's cock sounds like a good idea either way. Fuck yeah bears.

D

Deleted member

Super Smash Bros. was one of the games I grew up with on the Nintendo 64. I had tons of fun playing it. That and I bought the Virtual Console version as well is why I prefer the original to Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

The successors are still great, thought.

Rubbish

Smash Journeyman
There's a good feeling when you knock around your friends with ness and fox in ss64. That feeling isn't present in Melee and Brawl.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Combos, tech chasing, and airchasing don't even noticeably exist in Brawl. They're not hard to do. They're impossible to do. So how can they be rewarding if they don't exist?
^^^^
I like how people still use this argument

"Brawl has no combos" and such..lolll

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
64 is way too old, nobody plays it, don't have the time or willpower to learn it. Probably a great game though. brawl killed samus.

melee<64<brawl
I usually do not do this but here is a list of things in this post. Be careful where you post because your probably going to see a post like this below but much more of a trolling fashion.

1. Your in the n64 discussion, See 2.

2. Your in a thread entitled "Why do you like smash 64 over melee and brawl?" not, "What smash game is your favorite?" see 3.

3. You proclaim that brawl is overall much better than smash 64 which obviously for the n64 section is a bad post. I would not mind this in the General brawl discussion if there was the topic I listed above. See 2

4.You claim Samus sucks in brawl when we play smash 64 where Samus is BY FAR the worst character (20 times worse than brawl Samus, I guarantee this). I guess you never played smash 64 competitively or have seen the smash 64 tier list. See the n64 smash general index.

5. You claim a game sucks since it is an old game (OMG ZELDA OCARINA OF TIME IS THE WORST GAME EVAH SINCE ITS OLD AND STUFF). See 6

6. You claim no one plays smash 64 in the n64 smash discussion where you see other people talking about their games in smash 64. See 5

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lol @ stupid people who think old = bad / older = worse / new = good and newer = better

sadly there are so many of them

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
@killerrobo

^ koro is right about everything except 5 (since i didn't see you claim anything about ssb64 sucking.) just a heads up, posts like your are sometimes are subjected to a lot of flaming from some 64 smashers.

Dwarme

Smash Rookie
i like 64 a lot because it is slower than melee and brawl which means you have to do more timed hits which evolves into a metagame itself
sort of becomes fencing really
i also like it because i constantly wear nostalgia-goggles
i was sort of late into melee though since i only played it at friend's houses because i never bought a gamecube until recently

Yoshiking

Smash Apprentice
I like Smash 64 over brawl cause

1. some charecters in brawl is way overpowered. not to the point where u can't fight back it's like a no chance battle.

2. Smash 64 although some charecters are stronger than others : I.E C falcon is more powerful than yoshi. It is still possible to win. I've done that on numerous occasions.

I'm not waisting my time playing a game i know i can't win that's like playing Marvel vs capcom 2 against a Magneto player.

killerrobo

Smash Cadet
Thanks alot, now i feel like $hit. I actually am on smashboards pretty often I just don't post, but I get bored sometimes. I guess I shouldn't comment on a game I've only played once.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
i like 64 a lot because it is slower than brawl which means you have to do more timed hits which evolves into a metagame itself
sort of becomes fencing really
i also like it because i constantly wear nostalgia-goggles
i was sort of late into melee though since i only played it at friend's houses because i never bought a gamecube until recently
well i mean i wouldn't put him in last place.
Blue Yoshi edit: Unnecessary response (flaming/trolling)

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I like Smash 64 over brawl cause

1. some charecters in brawl is way overpowered. not to the point where u can't fight back it's like a no chance battle.

2. Smash 64 although some charecters are stronger than others : I.E C falcon is more powerful than yoshi. It is still possible to win. I've done that on numerous occasions.

I'm not waisting my time playing a game i know i can't win that's like playing Marvel vs capcom 2 against a Magneto player.
Learn2playgoodgames

64 is cool, I hope to play it again soon.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Probs because a majority of the new kids who post here are uninformed and/or trolling and people are just waiting to stab them.

Also, no point in editing out something, then quoting it so everyone sees it anyway XD

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Meh, I hate when people say false information. 64 isn't slower than brawl, it was unnecessary flaming towards him. He was just uninformed, but the other guy was just trolling, and thus he should GTFO.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
You have no right to force people to "GTFO". People are allowed to post here if they want (that is... unless they're banned...). If someone is trolling, or seems to be trolling, let me take care of it (in this case, I already had before your post). Remember, the 64 boards has a mod now, so I will handle trollers. Making posts like that will only give you yourself infractions for flaming.

If you have a problem with someone's post (or a person in particular), either report that person's post, or send me a message.

Edit: @cheese: Yeah, I made the post before the edit, and forgot about the post. Thanks lol :p

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
I prefer Melee to 64. Despite the amount of depth in 64 (standalone), I think Melee surpasses it with the sheer amount of options available and the focus being more on mindgames than 64 (which is facilitated by the speed of the gameplay). I find the fact that Isai has been top of 64 for years and the constantly changing metagame and top players in Melee to be evidence of this.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I like Smash 64 because I believe it’s the best in the series to play in a casual college environment. :chuckle:

Slightly off topic: I got another N64 recently and it was dusty as heck and reeked of cigarette smoke so I decided to remove the case and clean it. Well when I had the case off I went ahead and replaced the red LED that shines at the front of the unit with a much less obtrusive amber one. Now it looks so cool with a relaxing yellowish light shinning while playing instead of that annoying red one. It sorta gives that N64 a modded look too that goes well with the case being so clean now. :)

Top Bottom