• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you like smash64 over melee and brawl?

.Marik

is a social misfit
I mean, **** combos happen in B+ they just don't happen nearly as frequently.
Pretty much.

But as Fireblaster said, Brawl+ has legit combos. They exist.

As I said before, it's not identical to Smash64 hitstun, but in comparision to vBrawl, it practically is.

Smashers need to quit vBrawl and play Brawl+.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
You either aren't very good at brawl+ or haven't played it much, because brawl+ definitely has more combos than melee.
I'm sorry, but no it doesn't. I've watched PLENTY of B+ matches and I see combos way more in Melee. Give me proof of this.

edit: actually, look up a good B+ combo vid and a good Melee combo vid. That pretty much disproves what you said.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Look up inb4rape on YouTube.

Those are pretty legit combos. I'm not going to compare the games any further with you, but I still stand by what I originally said.

Play Brawl+.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Seen inb4rape2 like three times already. :l I do play B+. I'm all for B+. B+, 64, and Melee are all amazing really, but we have less tournys all together than brawl which has to change.

Watch Mang0+Alex19+LuCKy= **** x2 after inb4rape2 an you'll know what I'm talking about.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Just making sure.

Anything with Jigglypuff, let alone Mango, will have combos.

Watch Jigglypuff and Falcon clips from Brawl+. It's the same difference.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Mango only had one jiggs combo in that vid. Melee Falcon combos are way more impressive than B+ Falcon combos, but thats probably because of techchasing.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Hrrrrmmm, I guess you could say that technically techchasing isn't comboing but techchasing does continue a combo and it looks like comboing so I consider it comboing.

rhan

Smash Hero
Brawl+ has more combos than Melee cause the game's broke.

But Melee's combos are better looking and more rewarding.

TANK64

Smash Lord
key word basically
Puff can but, even with puff punch and rest, you have to be turtling like hell or asking for it

yea and Peach is very situational (although that was a sick *** break in that vid btw)
Samus I'd say would be second, then Peach. Marth just has it so much easier.

I just love the fact that before starting a 64 game (with almost every char I play)
I can say to myself, "I might get a break this game :cool:" and be realistic.

I love Melee, but shielding is very rewarded in it, and I think lack of shield-breaks is one reason why.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
I like Melee, Brawl, and Brawl+. But i am garbage at Melee LOL. I forgot what SSB64 was like since i haven't played it in so long.
Melee is all about skillz and mindgamez
Brawl is all about mindgamez

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
Brawl+ has more combos than Melee cause the game's broke.

But Melee's combos are better looking and more rewarding.
lol no. That was Brawl+ RC1. The hitstuns were ridiculous, it was easy to combo. Glad it's not that easy to combo in the current version of Brawl+(Near Gold)

double post

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I like all the smash games (64, melee, brawl, brawl+, brawl-). The only well-known game I haven't played is bbrawl. Brawl- was fun, but would be terrible in a tourney setting. Brawl+ is just amazing. Brawl... well, if you forget about all of its negative aspects and don't have to play against meta knight 70% of your matches, and actually play against good people, then it can be fun. But then again, it has it's moments of terribleness. Melee... well... it's too good to describe. 64... well... it's even better.

/post that makes no sense.

dandan

Smash Lord
Smash DI is only reasonably useful for getting out of attacks that hit you repeatedly like Pikachu's fair or Fox's dair. It can also save you from KO moves if you, like, smash DI into a wall to avoid the full knockback of an usmash or to bounce into the ledge when recovering to stay close to it.

Smash DI ain't getting you out of Pikachu's/Falcon's uair combos or Luigi's wheel of fortune -> ching combo.
this is simply incorrect, it depends how good the smash DI is, you can DI downwards from falcon uair so the second one does not hit, same as DI away from pikachu's uair combos. you can also have wall DI from very very far away, or for example, DIing to the top of the tent (where most play usually revolves). anyhow, smash DI could be extremely good, even for escaping combos.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
I hate the dumb shields in melee and brawl. How the **** am I gonna get grabbed mid air right after I knee sweetspotted somebody's shield? If Melee had just a bit more shieldstun it would be amazing.

killa k

Smash Ace
It's possible to break shields with falco in melee as well.

I also prefer 64 because it requires less tech skill, has some really cool combos, is really fun and balanced, and the whole nostalgia effect since it was the game that got me into smash in the first place.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I like Brawl, then Melee, then 64. But I love all 3 games so **** much.

But if I did like 64 over Melee and Brawl? My reasoning?

Generic Captain Falcon UAir Combo # 462

wat

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
To be fair, I think that brawl does have some unique ups that the other two don't (64 is still the best btw) but I do think that the game teaches to an extreme extent that spacing is vital. In 64 and melee spacing, isn't as important as important because a lot of times, you just need to be able to outwit your opponent once to get a stock. In brawl, you have to outwit your opponent 8-15 times before you can net the stock, so in turn, spacing is in a significantly more important than technical skill in the game.

I completely agreeon the 64 floatyness thing though. Melee fox demonstrates that pretty well.
Spacing is more important in Melee and 64 simply because the penalty for errors is much greater.

In 64, a mistep in spacing means a 0 to death combo on you.

In Melee, spacing errors result in combos that ends with a gimp KO, lots of damage, and sometimes 0 to death.

In Brawl, you get once or twice and the match resets since there isn't hitstun to take advantage of.

Also, perfect Fox can break shields too, as seen in the last tier war.

At Melee has shield stun LOL. Brawl doesn't.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Also, perfect Fox can break shields too, as seen in the last tier war.

Yeah, good thing it's just as easy as breaking shields in SSB64 with ness's fair.
Melee has more shield stun than brawl but IMO it could use some more. Like I said, pretty dumb when I sweetspot the knee into somebody's shield and they grab me before the move even ends (Then again it was marth and his stupid grab range, but my point stands).

Lovage

Smash Hero
I hate the dumb shields in melee and brawl. How the **** am I gonna get grabbed mid air right after I knee sweetspotted somebody's shield? If Melee had just a bit more shieldstun it would be amazing.
you are kneeing incorrectly and need to space just a little bit better

if you knee witih perfect spacing and good fast fall then u can usually gentlemen right after

-s2j

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Shield grabs shouldn't really be happening at really high levels of play in Melee. Good spacing and timing of the aerials should be able to prevent it almost all the time, which is actually one reasons I like Melee better - the shield game is deeper and involves more than just attacking fast enough to prevent the person from ever dropping their shield.

Also, I consider tech chases to be combos. It's really not much different from chasing DI. Like if Marth f-throws, you can do d-tilt, dash-A, fair, f-smash, or have no follow-up whatsoever depending on the DI. All of those followups can be inescapable as well if you DI'd wrong. Same goes for tech chasing.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
the only time i have broken a shield in brawl usually is a Marth Fair to B reverseal uncharged Shield breaker.

dandan

Smash Lord
Saying fox can break shields in melee is like saying fox can break shields in 64.

It's possible but you need inhuman tech skill to do the shine break
play mad-fighter in germany for shine shield breaks. can do them pretty constantly.

trams33

Smash Rookie
The sound effects and how much better the hits look and feel, when you smash someone you can feel it unlike melee and brawl. also because my brawl disk failed on me.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Saying fox can break shields in melee is like saying fox can break shields in 64.

This

Fox and Falco are very good for shield pressure, not breaks.
I've seen multishines to hell on people's shield and it never breaks.
Are we not talking about realistic breaks?
Trying to frame perfect shine an entire shield will only guarantee you loosing every match.

Unless there shield is already mad diminished,
then you catch them of guard with an Uair>shine(x?)>Usmash...ect.

and of course melee has shield stun, it just has too little.

DMoogle

A$

I think it's even harder than Fox breaking shields in N64. Performing an inescapable shield break, maybe, but in practice it isn't the rarest thing in the world. I don't think I've ever actually seen a shield break in Melee with items off, and I've played quite a bit of Melee (albeit not for a few years).

Top Bottom